Post subject: Finally Epic Rug!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Finally made it up to 5,000 gold last night and now zooming around on my new state of the art rug.

Sure is worth it!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Finally Epic Rug!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:55 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Was one of the first things I made on my warlock, even before I could ride it. ;) Love it. Best mount in the game now, as far as I am concerned. My shammie's helicopter being second. heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I'm still working on my helicopter. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:18 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
I cant seem to break the 2,500g mark tog et my epic flying. Something always "comes Up".

I have the regular rug, and the skill for the epic one. Just. cant get to it.

I have heard that some people are pissed off with the rug and other vehicles due to the delay in dismounting; seems to irritate the ones gathering nodes.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
I have heard that some people are pissed off with the rug and other vehicles due to the delay in dismounting; seems to irritate the ones gathering nodes.

This is EXTREMELY annoying. I got my tundra mammoth and can't even use it in one of my favorite activities, pvp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
gwiber wrote:
I cant seem to break the 2,500g mark tog et my epic flying. Something always "comes Up".

This is going to sound really retarded, but it does work, just as it works IRL.

You need to do two things.

First you need to make a level 1 bank alt. You need to spend a little money bagging this character up. You may also want to put it in an alt guild so you can use the guild bank.

Then you need to use another alt that you don't play often and use this character as a storage center.

Now...EVERY SINGLE THING that isn't grey that you can sell, you need to mail to your bank alt and SELL IT. Everything. Every single damn thing.

Now, every time your bank alt reaches a specific gold amount (like 3k) YOU MAIL THE GOLD TO THE STORAGE ALT. You do not ever touch the gold on the storage alt except for super major purchases.

Edit: Until you reach a specific amount on the alt. I ONLY use my alt gold for mount training, and profession training. That's it. Period. Because I blow a shitload of gold on professions I don't have a huge stash, but that's my choice. Figure out what yours is for. :) I like it this way because I can always get over the 'hump' of a profession if I REALLY want to.

You need gems? No.
You need enchants? No.
You need that kinda cool ass mount? No. No. No.

You know why? Because you'll find a way to afford gems and enchants even if you're flat ass broke, or do without 'em a couple of days. But if you think 'Ah fuck I'll just use the 1k I have...' you'll always be broke.

============

Finally to never ever be broke again, make a death knight and level up mining. Sell the ore on your bank alt. You should be able to make over 5k in leveling up to just 300...if you sell EVERYTHING you mine.

IIRC a friend of mine made 7k on a server where prices are pretty cheap (new server) just leveling to 300. I also leveled up mining, but I dumped all MY ore into BSing. :(

But it's a good way to make cash. If you do alchemy, do xmutes when they're up. Tailor, cloth. Etc.

But the best way I've made money is selling *everything* on a bank alt, and selling pets through neutral AHs. :)

Edit: One last caveat, I never sell things my guildies might need. This includes mailing d/es and cloth to some of them instead of selling it. I often don't even sell things that are just a 'want'...but that's also my preference. I have a good guild though and it's rare that I have to pay for enchants (usually only when someone's out of mats). :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Tarot is pretty dead on.

I have an alt for leather and cloth.
I have an alt for herbs/crystals/primals
I have an alt for ore and mine related stuff
I have an alt for enchant mats and gems

I stockpile crap. lol.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 AM 
Spider Slayer

I just do dailies, make icy prisms, and prospect massive amounts of ore for selling gem cuts. Three epic fliers, nobles deck for my rogue that was roughly 10k, and 9k in my pocket, and probably several thousand gold in enchanting mats on my priest. Then I roll around in my gold much like a dargon on his hoard.

My priest has the rug too. After d/cing and logging in mid-air sans rug, mounting up on my rug and not having flight capability (I was running around on a rug), and mounting backwards from the direction i was facing most of the time, aaaand the delay in dismounting/mounting, I purchased a wind rider.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I just give my gold away now. It's pretty worthless to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 AM 

Quote:
My priest has the rug too. After d/cing and logging in mid-air sans rug, mounting up on my rug and not having flight capability (I was running around on a rug), and mounting backwards from the direction i was facing most of the time, aaaand the delay in dismounting/mounting, I purchased a wind rider.
Is all that because they have players standing on the rugs instead of the traditional mount?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:43 PM 
Spider Slayer

Ya, if you have vehicle bars enabled you actually get an attack button and the exit vehicle buttons when you ride a rug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:01 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I haven't any problems dismounting instantly off of my rug when spellcast since 3.0.8. Well, that's not *entirely* true. I was having problems at first, until I realized that you have to go through the process of dismounting if you are high enough that it gets processed as a fall (whether enough to take falling damage or not).

I would get frustrated if I was a meter or two off the ground and couldn't dismount automatically. Then I realized that how annoying it would be to accidently dismount 1000 meters in the air by mouse-wheeling a Molten Armor rebuff. I got over it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:28 PM 

Molten Armor buff bound to the mouse wheel? =p Is that one of those spells you need to cast pretty quick on the fly? =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:16 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

All of my buffs are tied to my mouse wheel. I'm a mage who doesn't PvP. What else would I possibly use it for?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:06 AM 

Scrolling the camera in and out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I use my wheel click for vent, I figure he uses the click too not the actual scrolling? If you do bearne, how do you zoom in and out? :O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:27 AM 

I'm guessing a left or right click scroll wheel. Replacing scroll up or down to something not of a zoom nature, or a weapon swap for FPS type games would be so alien to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:20 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
simple self rebuff will let you bind rebuffs to the scroll wheel while keeping it zoom in/out.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I use SmartBuff. The mod's buffing function is triggered by scrolling up and down. It doesn't affect the actual scrolling in any way. It's pretty sweet on a paladin because you can say which classes get which buff and just spend a couple of seconds scrolling in and out, and it has different settings for solo, party, raid, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:41 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The rug being a vehicle thing was fixed with the patch. It's no longer considered a vehicle with the horrible limitations that went along with it. You can now benefit from Crusader Aura, and dismount instantaneously. And oh yeah, opposing factions' names now show as red.

About time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:41 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Oh yeah, as a consequence, you can no longer /dance while mounted on it however. This makes me sadface.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Tarot is right on, out of sight, out of spending mind. I like the idea of a bank alt to hide gold on.

I kind of wish the bank had money storage like in EQ2. My priest is mining 450, enchanter 435. I spent a fvckton in thousands of gold to train up my enchanter. It's like some strange addiction. I'd be loaded if I just sold mats to all the other crazed folks leveling up enchanting. Same was true of my DK 450 mining, 443 blacksmith. I always want to make my own weaps and armor for some reason. Now that both my guys are almost capped, I plan to sell ore, maybe armor/weaps, and with inscription I can sell enchants on the AH.

Most ore sells for 2g per bar, and while the bottom fell out on enchanting mats, there are still high end enchants that sell. I like the idea of a bank alt to mail all my gold to, to save the 5k for an epic mount. My gold surges from 0 to 1,000g in an average day making and selling when I was skilling up. For Blacksmithing the lvl 70 cobalt armor always sells. 8-12g to make and sells for 18-22g. A lot of the newer Saronite armor sells well also. I also shout in trade making armor, and most folks asking for > lvl 70 gear will tip, but that's just to get free skill pts on their mats. You can also make decent gold doing the dailies (hate that wotlk dailies are all spread out) and finishing out quest lines.

The Scholazar loop for saronite is pretty easy to fly. On my priest I'd get jumped and killed, but my DK holds his own and I chase alliance away a lot. As an enchanter buy any items > lvl 73 and < 8g melting them to sell mats.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:01 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I can't understand how folks can stomach gathering so much to make gold. So much time and tedium and all these complex plans and alts and stuff. Eep! =O

I just farm the AH...Going on my 6th epic flyer (When I get my lock leveled up) and plenty of cash to spare....and I don't have to spend an hour or 2 or 5 a day flying around Storm Peaks to do it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 AM 

If it takes you three characters to save money, then you're doing something wrong to begin with.

Two rules.

Stop buying stupid shit.
Do dailies.

That is it.

Quote:
You need gems? No.
You need enchants? No.

This right here is why 99% of the people playing this game are useless and not worth the fucking time to read their recruitment applications. Yes, you very much need both of those, and yes, you very much need both of those the instant you get a piece of gear that requires their attention.

Most people that bitch they have no cash choose stupid shitty tradeskills, or only log in for raids and are immediately off as soon as they are called. That simple. If consumables are breaking you, then focus your alts on that area. If raid repairs are breaking you then your guild is fucking terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:27 AM 

We had this dude who wanted to raid Naxx.. level 80 DK that did not buy his flying mount because he "could not afford it". Guy literally had to ask for rezzes or summons instead of releasing and flying back when appropriate.

How do you go from 60-70 in TBC and not get well over 900g, and how do you go from 70-80 and not easily have 5k just from leveling quests.

Boggles the mind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Short answer to "Why is Dreorg (Bearne's mage) always broke?"

a. Grand Master Tailor
b. Grand Master Enchanter

Of course, having made the investment to get tailoring to the point where I can make frostweave bags, I'm starting to see a positive cash flow from tailoring, since they stay green until 450 and the only non-opportunity cost to me is 5 g 10 s for the thread.

And starting with level 75 gear, the disenchant mats resell for about twice vendor prices. So, again, positive cash flow.

5K gold going from 70 to 80 seems optimistic to me, unless you're simultaneously farming and selling ore, herbs, and/or skins. I just hit 80 last night and my net haul is about 2.5 K, but that doesn't include the cash spent on tailoring mats, which is probably another 1K. That includes the cash I've earned selling off all of my disenchanting mats aside from those I've used to enchant gear upgrades (so, about in line with vendoring quest gear, all in all).

I predict that I'll have the 5K for epic flying sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've still got 4.5 zones worth of progession questing, not including dailies to add to the positive cash flow from bags and enchanting mats.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:59 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Short answer to "Why is Dreorg (Bearne's mage) always broke?"

a. Grand Master Tailor
b. Grand Master Enchanter

That's no excuse, Enchanting is the biggest moneymaking profession ever! (Well, there might be some arguable ties for first place there.)

Quote:
This right here is why 99% of the people playing this game are useless and not worth the fucking time to read their recruitment applications. Yes, you very much need both of those, and yes, you very much need both of those the instant you get a piece of gear that requires their attention.

Yep, this is fact. This is how people walk around doing 1100 DPS at level 80, because they think that enchants/gems/buffs aren't important or something. Keeping your gear up to date and maxed out is about the only thing gold is good for anyway, get to it!

Quote:
5K gold going from 70 to 80 seems optimistic to me, unless you're simultaneously farming and selling ore, herbs, and/or skins.

Nah, leveling can make you a truck load of cash. (Enchanters DEing quest rewards is double-extra awesome.) You just, again, have to pay attention to where the gold is going. You don't need to buy green gear upgrades every level, or buy 25 stacks of food and water or destroy stuff from your bags because you're too lazy to hit the vendor, etc etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:20 PM 

A new character leveling from 1->80 may have problems generating 7k gold by 77, if they concentrate on leveling rather than grinding tradeskills.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

A completely new player, perhaps. It's hard to NOT roll in gold made from the leveling process if you're even a little experienced, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 PM 

Agreed, though I'd much rather level to 80 and work towards my flying mount than worry about having one when I hit 80.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:29 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Enchanters DEing quest rewards make money *once* they've completed the tradeskill leveling process. Until they do, all of those DEs go right back into skilling up, which puts you at a loss since you are out the gold you would have gotten by vendoring the item.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Hmm, that should have been 3.5K, not 2.5K, out of the 70 - 80 leveling process. I still don't see 5K gross from leveling being realistic without resource farming.

Unless... I was at full rested XP the entire way. 70 to 80 for me was HF, BT, DB, GH, and the first 1/2 of Troll Town (other than most of the instance quests and 7 or 8 of the elite quests). So someone doing it not at rested would have had to crunch more content to hit 80, and thus gotten more cash.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:12 PM 

I've always been a big fan of leveling, then dealing with tradeskills. One thing at a time, tunnel-vision/efficiency-style. At 80 a person is more likely to have the cash available for an epic mount, making it easier to travel between nodes. It's much easier to one-shot anything that comes in your path, especially those higher level mobs.

Think of it this way: Add up every single mob that you spent an additional 10 seconds killing to get to that one node(assuming it's a gathering profession that requires nodes), and then subtract all of that time if you had been level 80.

Net loss in time spent. Do it all at 80!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 PM 

Actually I should say, if you're near nodes and you're ALREADY in a zone leveling, it's probably more efficient to just mine it up while you're there and not come back at 80. The problem is more or less, with mining in particular, it takes a shitload of looking around in between skillups to get to the next step so you can mine up the next type of ore. For that, I'd go back at 80 for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Enchanters DEing quest rewards make money *once* they've completed the tradeskill leveling process. Until they do, all of those DEs go right back into skilling up, which puts you at a loss since you are out the gold you would have gotten by vendoring the item.

The skill levels required to disenchant items is extremely low compared to the skill you'll get to if you work up with the mats you get. More often than not you'll get more than enough mats to work your skill up sufficiently to start disenchanting the next tier of items and still have mats left over from the last tier of items to sell.

By the time you're in your 60's you should have reached the max required level to disenchant everything up to level 80 epics and from there you can either just keep skilling up using the mats or liquidate them all.

But regardless...even if you don't fare so well disenchanting quest rewards on the way up to 80, enchanting is an absolute gold mine at any level if you spend a couple minutes a day at the AH. Jewelcrafting was probably better for a short time in early WotLK when I could sell my Dragon's Eyes for 400g each, but hey. ;)

As for mining...unless they've changed it you can get to grand master mining without mining more than a few nodes on the way from 1 to 375. Maybe higher, I haven't tried it in WotLK. But you can generally just buy ore, smelt it to get skillups, sell the bars back for a minimal loss (or break even if you're lucky) and save yourself hours and hours and hours of running around looking for tin veins to mine. If you're going to make money gathering, you can just use those hours to go out and mine things that actually make money. (Personally, I'd recommend mithril/thorium over WotLK/TBC metals!)

But really, gold isn't hard to make. I just can't see myself spending time gathering or even doing dailies when I can just make all the gold I could ever need taking advantage of the economy for a few minutes a day when I feel like it. =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:27 PM 

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
I can't understand how people can't earn gold in this game, it just flows to me at a steady rate.

I disenchant all my greens for the dust needed for slowly skilling up my enchanting, and to imbue that frostweave cloth.

I have been giving away the frostweave bags I am making for skill ups to my friends.

Since I made this post I have gone from 2g to my name to over 3,000g just from doing quests and 10-12 dailys and selling vendor trash.

The epic rug is huge and really improved my questing speed, but I suspect the gold earned from quests will slow to a trickle soon, as I have only about 90 quests left to do in Icecrown, then I am pretty much done for northend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
sorry had to do this,

EPIC RUG:

Offline Profile