Post subject: Warlocks?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:34 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
My lock remains at 0/0/0 since the patch As I've not heard of any specs really working.

What seems to be a pvp friendly spec these days? They moved so much crap around and did away with so many things locks relied on I can't even come up with a spec anymore..

No resistance from pet? Pet doesn't see stealth anymore?

Locks were already smooshable before the patch....now it seems they are even more so. Hell...I go out of my way to FIND locks on my crappy BM hunter because I know I can kill one as opposed to the 3 hit ret pallys or the charge, MS, Bladestorm warriors, or the Arcane barrage, FB , barrage mages.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Warlocks?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:03 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I've found demonology is really good for farming, REALLY good. For pvp, I went with a pure destruction spec (which you can do now even with crappy gear because chaos bolt is teh win) with 3 remaining points in Imp.

But yes locks got very gimped in the patch. We have a lock in full t6 in guild who is never near the top of the dps or dmg meters anymore, and I think it's slowly killing him day by day.

Anyway I have an alt lock (with super shitty gear) on Zul'jin, named Lanys. I got her spec from a pvp guild on our server~ so it's not like I came up with it myself.

The only thing different you might want to do is take 1 point from imp imp and get the aoe stun/dmg spell. I don't know why they didn't because the stun component is worthwhile IMO, but I decided to just try the spec 'as is'.

Affliction is also decent for pvp, but I haven't tested it since the patch, just demonology and destruction.

One aside, pallys and warriors are a bitch to kill since the patch, but with curse + chaos bolt...they lose 1/3-1/2 health. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:05 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Oh also if you didn't know, if you become the big purple demon (or better yet see one) in a bg, just banish. Being banished is the suck. Also paladins can just bend you over. :(

We'll all have to see where everyone ends up at 80 though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
I dunno. I'm not (and never have been) a number cruncher but I definitely feel stronger and better dps output with the affliction tree since the changes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:11 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Probably. I'm only using destro in pvp. I'd imagine it's still a good raid spec for people who are very geared out. But I haven't tested it at all.

I know our guild lock tested demonology and destruction and destruction was the best for him in raids...but it's also the guy in all t6.

In WotlK I'll spec back to demonology for farming/questing/instancing, or dual spec for it. Destruction for me sucks balls when farming, but again my gear is also shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
I've been planning to change to destroy, I'm still affliction. I'm doing an average of 450DPS. :(

My armor sort of blows though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:30 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

The thing that's helped me most on all my chars Gost is I talk to people who I consider 'mentors'. I find nice people who play my class who are doing well (good at pvp or high on the dmg meters or whatever) and are knowledgable about their class and I pester them. :D

It's also beneficial to those people as well. I NEVER and I mean NEVER do spreadsheets on gear and stuff. I just refuse to. But I know a hunter who does, and my questions about items lead us to discover a blue trinket I 'felt' was better...was actually better than most trinkets out there (hourglass of the unraveler). The other hunter's spreadsheet showed that it was substantially better than most other trinkets (for those without the Dragonspine Trophy).

And it helps when you can find people further along in progression. They can tell you what upgrades are must haves and what mistakes they've made. I've lusted for Illidan's bow...forever. My hunter friend FINALLY got his (3rd in his guild). Guess what? He doesn't raid with it. He uses the badge bow to raid with. It owns in pvp, but sucks the big wang in raids. That stuff is good to know. :) (I still lust for it!)

Anyhoo a good mentor will help you pick out gems, help you figure out what to get/go for first, etc.

I'd completely suck in every game I played without the help and knowledge of other people! =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:58 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Welp, I went deep affliction since that seems popular. Not bad until I got into a wsg with 2 ret pallies. Those fucks...my god they are just ridiculous. I die in 4 seconds on my hunter...4 on my lock and I just run on my rogue...

So far there is zero counter to them...yeah. 12k hp down in a heartbeat by an opponent in a bubble...completely free to take me out, the guy next to me and someone that had just ressed.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:44 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
There are counters, it's called being an arcane mage with Arcane Barrage :p

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:42 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Remember, this isn't balanced for 70. And enjoy their bitter bitter tears which are coming!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm always 2boxing a mage when I'm on my lock so I'm not sure how well full demonology spec does by itself because the damage might be a little low... but I will say that it seems fairly viable to me. Yes there is banish, but it's only castable by one class and it has a long enough cast to easily interrupt(just charge them or use pet to interrupt, then fear or whatever). Pallies hurt, but if you have a ret pally on you right now you're dead anyway.

The demon offers quite a bit of survivability against melee IMO. I think they should throw in one more useful ability honestly for demon form. Maybe some sort of flying winged jump or something. But overall I like the spec.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:54 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Venen wrote:
The demon offers quite a bit of survivability against melee IMO.

in PvP? No. Just...no. God no, I died so fucking fast. In PvE, being heavy demon was like farming with a mage, it was that good.

The only time popping demon in PvP was viable was when there WASN'T melee around hitting me, but people were grouped up (fighting over flag spots). THEN running in, popping demon, hitting the aoe fire special that demons get and hellfire makes clothies fall down! :D That was fun. But mages can iceblock and wait, non stupid people just move the fuck away from you...and melee moves in.

Or if there's even one warlock with brains they'll banish you. Actually it was surprising how often that DIDN'T happen, but my lock always banishes, which pretty much eats up your time as a demon plus the good specials if you've hit them already. The fact that other players can banish you blows tho.

And yes, ret. pallies destroy everyone (at least for right now) but all paladins are especially fucking nasty against you because you're a demon and they have specific spells against you.

SL/SL was stronger than anything at the moment. At least for me, again...crappy gear etc. Also fear has been heavily nerfed, but I actually don't have a huge issue with that. CC against other players has always been a bit of a bullshit mechanic with problems, moreso in bgs than arena (where you can trinket out once, and often use a skill to pop the second...and after the third you're immune). In arenas it's cyclone that I *hate*. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:12 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Anyone else enjoy the irony that it's a Warlock spell that screws over their 51 point talent?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:35 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
In arenas yes, but in BGs very few locks use banish because it doesn't show damage. Everyone is doing things to get the highest damage instead of the smartest spell. Not saying that's how it should be, but that's how it usually is. When I see a lock banish or use curses besides agony in a BG I just assume he's an above average player just from that alone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
There are counters, it's called being an arcane mage with Arcane Barrage :p

An arcane mage will die in about 0.5 seconds to a Ret pally right now. =P

I can put my tanking gear on and hit bear form and they still treat me like paper. It's nuts. =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:11 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

EQ1: Ihnzo
WoW: Xeath
My spec right now is 56/0/5 with this as my armory. Basically I'm in 5/8 Teir 6 as I replaced a bit with some SWP gear, but unfortunately the max dps I can do right now as Affliction during a raid is around 1.8k or so. Its really sad considering we were pushing 2.5k plus on Brut and other fights was over 2k. Now it seems we have been given the nerf bat seriously. However I am sure we will be viable DPS once we hit 80 and see why they specifically centered alot of Destro around FR based spells. However with the spell power change its kinda mute.. The main issue of course are the talent trees themselves.

Xeath
Affinity

Offline Profile