It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:34 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hunters
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:48 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

i spec'd Bm, i was before too.

I goofed something up, it doesn't feel right and I want to spread some points around differently. BUT, I messed around n got some exotic pets.

If i respec (and will still go BM, down to exotic), will I loose those pets and have to recharm them? Cause some where a pain in the ass and I dont wanna go threw it all again.

If they are in my stable and I respec, will they be gone when I am done?

Thanks for the info!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: hunters
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
I will tell you a friend of mine has a bear pet that she has had the whole time she has been leveling. It is now telling her that it is an exotic pet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:58 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
If you went BM Spec with Exotic Pet, tame an Exotic Beast, then respec out of the talent....all that happens is you'll get a message that says "You're unable to summon an exotic animal" (or something to that basic effect). You won't lose the pet though. You'll be able to go to the stable and bank it. If you respec back into the talent later, you can retrieve the pet from the stable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The core hound ground shaking thing will get old quick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
Aspects are now off the GCD. It's true. There will still be a 1 sec cooldown to switch from one aspect to another. It should feel a lot more like warrior stances or death knight presences.

We're also going to be putting a little bit of dodge (~10%?) onto Monkey. I'll update when we decide on a final number.

Just for consistency, paladin auras will probably get the same treatment.

These changes should go live before Nov 13.

As always, thanks for all of the feedback, and please keep it up now that many of the changes are live.

EDIT: After further discussion, we're not crazy about the "stance dancing" that hunters need to do to switch to Monkey when someone is in on you in melee. As we've said a few times, Disengage and Deterrence should be your go-to abilities at that time. If anything, removing Aspects from the GCD makes it feel like you are supposed to go Monkey every time you're in melee.

Rather than revert the change, we are introducing a new spell!

Instead of getting new ranks of Hawk at level 75 and 80, you now get the new Aspect of the Dragonhawk. This powerful aspect combines all of the effects of Hawk and Monkey. Any talent or glyph that affects either Hawk or Monkey also affects Dragonhawk the same way. The idea is that you retire Hawk and Monkey at level 75 and go to essentially two Aspects: Dragonhawk for combat and Viper for mana regen.

Enjoy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:10 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Carolsue wrote:
If i respec (and will still go BM, down to exotic), will I loose those pets and have to recharm them? Cause some where a pain in the ass and I dont wanna go threw it all again. If they are in my stable and I respec, will they be gone when I am done?

No. But they will take up stable slots and you will be unable to summon them until you respec. again into BM. So you essentially will lock up slots, and you can't free those slots until you respec BACK into BM and release the pets.

In WotLK (or sooner) they're supposed to be putting in a dual spec thing though, where you can have two specs you can shift into/out of without paying for the respec. So even if you decide to dump BM for now, it's worth saving the PITA pets if you think you might off spec BM.

I'm still playing around with my spec myself, it's just not there yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Hmm. I didn't expect the developers to catch that before launch. ; )~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:02 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Also misdirection is broken/buggy right now.

Additionally if you're survival spec, there's a bug where you may not be able to get the puke on sticky treats achievement for Halloween. You have to respec to get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Hunters at the moment are all kinds of screwed up. Even on my horridly geared noob hunter I noticed the change almost immediately. Pets abilities aren't working, are stuck always on always off etc....

The burst dmg the class had is long gone and half the time you're sitting there spamming steady shot as a caster/retpally/rogue/warrior just smashes your face in.

If you wanted to stay BM though go like 49/12/0 for now. Exotic pets will be neat at 80, but right now you can't get go for the throat if you go 51 to exotics...and pets right now without focus to burn are borderline useless.

Hunters are easy kills in pvp now but do pretty well in pve. Cats (believe i read this somewhere) are bugged right now and do a lot more dmg than they should. My lion is hitting for 600-700 pretty often lol...so much so that I use him in pvp and run like a little bish while he mauls someone.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Hunters have no burst dmg, unless you mean by 'long gone' preBC or something hehe. :)

The pet bugs are VERY annoying, but apparently they're tied to some hot keys...I've simply stopped using my cats for now because of the problems with prowl, and I keep growl on the pet bar so I can watch it like a hawk.

I personally think it's worth going 51 in BM if you're going BM. I don't really have a huge problem with pet focus. I'm using a devilsaur for raids, the other BM hunter is using a corehound (which at one point was pulling agro with LAVA! lol).

My devilsaur does a metric fuckton of dmg though, and the 10% dmg bonus is a big help on raids, I just slam it when we slam all the cooldown stuff and watch the big difference :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:52 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Actually, with chimera shot, we do have burst damage Tarot. Granted, MM isn't worth it except for pvp imo. The mana issues make it too hard for PVE. But, in PVP with Serpent Sting on the target Chimera can crit for 4200, plus Aimed Shot (which will work with Barrage and Imp Barrage soon) for 2Kish, fllowed by Arcane shot, for another potential 2Kish, and auto shot. All in all if everything crits for an MM Hunter they should do roughly 9K damage in about 5 seconds.

There are other potentially better builds and uses, but right now in pvp, Chimera shot is where it's at for burst. I tested it on a dummy. Personally, I'm still Survival. BM and MM just aren't my thing, but I am loving Explosive Shot. it's sick when I crit more than i hit raid buffed on a boss, and yes that's happened. I ran a 60% crit rate on Azgalor the other night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:14 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Ooo nice!

I'd love to play with a variety of different specs, but the respec costs just make it a bitch. I'll probably try out other specs when I can have 2 specs.

Honestly unless BM went into the toilet I'm biased towards it. Pet classes are almost always OP in games, and I love playing with a pet. Better pets are a win for me.

Being able to keep a BM spec and have another spec to play with will get me trying new things. And I suspect I'm not the only one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:15 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Chimera shot is really nice atm. It does crit pretty high (almost 5K).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:04 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Mana issues as MM in PvE? I'm Marksman still, and just using Aspect of the Hawk (no Viper), I run from full to empty mana in about... ten minutes, maybe. It's ridiculous how much of a mana problem I don't have.

I also don't have Chimera shot (yet), but I'll pick it up before the expansion and play with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Yeah the mana problems have been resolved in BM spec too. I can (and do) run low on mana in raids, and I switch to viper and mana up. I'm almost positive it was stealth nerfed though, it was ridiculous originally, and now it takes longer. It's still pretty awesome though because even half damage is worth the regen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Tranthas wrote:
Mana issues as MM in PvE?

I also don't have Chimera shot (yet), but I'll pick it up before the expansion and play with it.

Chimera right now is why you would have a mana issue as deep marks in PVE. it costs 457 mana I think with maxed efficiency. Somewhere in there. It is a HUGE mana drain, especially when you factor in ting swapping depending upon what you're doing. IE Viper sting, wait 6 seconds or so, chimera shot, viper sting, wait, serpent sting chimera for the burst then viper again. Also if facing a Warrior or Rogue you may put scorpid up, chimera shot, then serpent, then chimera again in 10 seconds. All in all that eats up some mana.

Plus with Chimera you're adding another shot to your rotation. You go from having Aimed, Arcane, and Steady on single target mobs to Chimera, Aimed, Arcane and Steady. The tradeoff is viper + Chimera gives you mana back which is ok, but also involves sting swapping in PVE.

With Chimera, you'll go OOM fast if doing a PVE shot rotation as MM. The burst in PVP though is hardly anything to sneeze at. Chimera can crit for 5Kish, Aimed for 2-2.5K, Arcane for around the same, and steady for around the same. So, in about 4 to 5 seconds if everything crits (not counting steady) you'll crit for about 9-10Kish.

For burst though, nothing beats Chimera + Serpent Sting. The shot itself will crit for 2-2.5K, and then the Serpent Sting proc can also crit for 4-5K. That's where MM Hunter burst truly lies now. Test it out on a dummy for yourself Tranth. I suggest it. I went OOM in about 40 seconds, but I did a crazy amount of dps (something like 1400 unbuffed).

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Valaeclya There's a link to my armory. Weird thing is it shows me as Marks still but I've been SV again since a day or two after patch 3.0. That way you can see what I did.

Edit: In retrospect I wouldn't put any points into Improved Hunters Mark. That talent is a waste now that it no longer benefits the melee and only benefits you and other hunters. Putting the 3 points into Imp Arcane Shot would serve you better for 15% more damage with Arcane. That's the only change right now I would make to that build. Might have to revamp it again though when Barrage affects Aimed Shot (which is the plan for the next patch).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Yeah, I wrote off Improved Hunter's Mark. As the class leader for Hunters in my old raid guild, I used to require that at least one of us have it, and that guy marked everything. Now, it just doesn't matter enough.

I'll check out Chimera. I think I might see some issues with Serpent Sting's efficiency as a Chimera agent, but I'll put the predictive math aside and put a few thousand shots through the bow to make sure.

Offline Profile