It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:58 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting to 70
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:49 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
So, I've got a 46 rogue in a small family guild of mostly 70s who, when on, are happy to help but also have their own events and instances to enjoy. I'd like to get to 70 before WotLK comes out, to see it with them, but also not miss out on the more unique instances or areas on the way.

What are a few Must-Sees between here and 70, and where would you recommend leveling? I've got a start in Tanaris right now with a crapload of quests. I've not yet been to Zuul-Farrakhanwhatever.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Getting to 70
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:56 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Nothing. Unless you've never been to Stratholme and even then you'll never get the same experience with it that you would with a raid of ppl your level when it was prime content. So you can 'go back to Strat' with a smaller group of people and get that experience.

Power level your ass to 58 and go to Outlands. Ignore gear because once you're there you're decked in greens you'll use almost to 70.

Get thee to Kara as soon as you hit 70, it's the best content you'll get to fastest. It's one of the most fun instances in the game, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:56 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Get cartographer map mod. It helps guide you as to where you should be. At 46 tho I think Tanaris, Hinterlands are pretty good. Dustwallow marsh has been redone but I think you've leveled past that. Get around 50 and head to ungoro.

Big mistake I made leveling my hunter (shes 63 now) was worrying about gear. I farmed, crafted..etc. Get what you can Via the AH and screw the rest. Once you hit 58 and get into outlands you'll replace it all anyhow. Exp hits a brick wall when you start into the 60's.

At your level now and doing quests a level a day isn't farfetched. Once you have an idea of what dungeons are around your level (ZF/Maurodon etc) A couple runs through with quests will net a truckload of exp and possible upgrades.

Tanaris and ungoro just have a TON of quests. Use Wowhead and look up a dungeon and the related quests. ZF has quite a few that give tons of exp.

Like Tarot said, once you hit 58, go to outlands. Only problem at 58 in outland with lower level gear is stuff will eat you hehe....The other problem is you'll outquest the area before you reach the level to leave. A couple ramps runs fixes that however.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:10 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

omg get Carbonite addon it makes leveling so easy. It really does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:10 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I've never been to Stratholme, Tarot, and couldn't tell you what levels are expected. =) So, Tanaris is good for now, then? Great. I've also been having fun when I don't feel like grinding Xp doing the newbie quests for other races. I'm exalted Stormwind and Darnassus already, and nearly there with Exodar, Ironforge, and Gnomeregan. Just got Friendly with Steamwheedle last night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:11 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I have Cartographer and Gatherer already, along with JasonQuest, TitanBar, and a few. Carbonite? I'll look for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:04 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Ask your guild about ACEmods. Replace Titanbar with Fubar once you get familiar with ACE.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:13 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

ACEmods, Fubar, Carbonite, Cartographer. Any easy way to tell what duplicates what? I'd hate to install Bob's Fish Mart to find out it's the same function as Nancy's Hair Salon, but in blue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:40 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. It was cool back in the day but it's hard to recapture that because of the level disparity now.

Karazhan is WAY fucking cooler anyway. I've done BT, Hyjal and all that jazz...and I still think Kara is the shit. I think it's the best designed encounter in the game, I just love it. And I'm looking forward to WotLK having more of the like. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:46 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Scholo was probably my least favorite place to go out of all of them. I liked Gadget, I enjoyed Mauradon, Scarlet Monastery was way cool, and even UBRS had its moments. BRD was also pretty neat back in the day, although I had no desire to go there on my alt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:21 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

K, installed Carbonite and uninstalled QuestHelper. I do miss the tooltips that used to tell me that 'this creature drops this stuff for your current quest' but the other features make up for it. About to play in Tanaris and the Hinterlands but think I'll do some Brewfest stuff first. =) Do I need JasonQuest or does Carbonite duplicate its features? I have yet to look into ACE or Fubar. Do I need to understand / use LOA coding before I go that route?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:17 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Just go check out Jame's leveling guide, get 70 in under 7 days /played. (You don't have to follow the guide to the letter, but it's a nice way to answer "Where should I go now?")

Problem with a lot of old level 1-60 content now is that you're just not going to get that original experience. A lot of it has since been nerfed, everyone and their dog knows the strats and whatnot, and someone in the group is always dying to get, "My friend's 70 warrior." to just come and beat the place up.

Same with gear...just don't bother. At 58, like Tarot said, you'll just get decked out in Outlands greens anyway. And for some reason there are a LOT of Hellfire Peninsula quest/instance rewards that you don't replace until ~68 or so in Netherstorm. It's actually not a terrible idea to hit HFP at 58, get all your early quest reward gear, then go back to old world and tear the EPL/Winterspring/whatever quests up.

At your level you've still got Feralas, Tanaris, the later parts of STV, and of course Hinterlands to hit before you head to Un'goro. All pretty fast leveling, you're already past the painful part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

I don't want to -race- through it, I just want to get to 70 before WotLK. But it seems like that won't be a problem!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:55 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

A little late to the party, but I'd say- rather than going to the Outlands at 58, wait until you're 60 or even 61. They increased xp gain from quests in vanilla-WoW by a ton: you actually gain more xp from doing the higher level quests in vanilla-WoW (like the WPL/EPL quests) than you do from the HFP quests. Just a thought.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Searing Gorge is another zone I like in the high 40s. It has a bunch of quests that all lead into each other. As others have said don't worry too much about your gear. You'll want to keep your weapons relatively up to date, but other than that I wouldn't buy any armor off the AH.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:50 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
A little late to the party, but I'd say- rather than going to the Outlands at 58, wait until you're 60 or even 61. They increased xp gain from quests in vanilla-WoW by a ton: you actually gain more xp from doing the higher level quests in vanilla-WoW (like the WPL/EPL quests) than you do from the HFP quests. Just a thought.

Only problem with that is that the Outlands mobs give 2x the XP of the old-world mobs. So you're basically running with full rested XP in outlands versus old world.

However, if you want to do them, I'd again suggest hitting Outlands and getting all the quest upgrades then heading back to old world to destroy everything. ;)

Offline Profile