It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:03 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Experience Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:10 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
This never really occurred to me until a friend mentioned it to me yesterday.

As a, now 54, Warlock (I started it in Late December. Been taking my time), I have been regularly finishing quests when they are still orange to me; some even Red when I get lucky.

I went to turn in a Orange quest yesterday, and my friend told me I should hold off until the quest was yellow to me, then turn it in. The experience would be better for me, statistically speaking.

Is this friend right; am I costing myself? Would the experience be better in the yellow?

I am betting it’s more in the orange, but if my friend is right it’s more effective in the yellow.

Armory if you care - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Matrimony

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experience Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I think that short of being grey, quests give a fixed amount of experience regardless of their 'level', if this is in fact true, it wouldn't matter when you turn them in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:17 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
It will give the same amount.

The 1500 you get will fill up your current level faster, as opposed to 1500 3 levels later when the quest is green. That is the only difference.

Doing quests when they are orange, such as instance quests and whatnot has the only side effect of causing grinding in a certain spots in the game, which has mostly been fixed by the increase in quest exp post 20 and additional questing areas now. I still don't turn in orange quests unless they are stupid easy and there is a for sure area to go to next to quest/grind.

Horde STV is an example of this. Or Raventusk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:42 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I can tell you from experience that it isn't good to turn in red/orange quests. When I came back, a friend, who was lvl 66 at the time, helped me get my shaman going. She would let me kite stuff that was orange to me, then kill it once it started beating the hell out of me. I wouldn't get full xp for the kill, but I'd get quests done a lot faster. By the time I had finished all the quests on Bloodmyst Isle, I wasn't quite level 19 yet, but was ready to head to Dark Shore. When I got there, tons of green quests, a few yellows, but I basically had to grind out a couple of levels just killing crap. Then I was ready for Astranaar. I'm sure that had I done it all myself, I would have made it to Astranaar when I was supposed to, and not had to mindlessly grind out so much xp to catch up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:24 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

The new exp rate change pre-60 has completely eliminated the need to grind. I found myself skipping quests outright to move into new zones and didn't do a single quest in EPL before moving to Outland. It's just not necessary to grind anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Nothing at all wrong with green quests.

It's often more exp yeild per session to grind out green quests, or grind non stop green mobs if you ever have to play catch up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:05 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Sshaaz wrote:
I can tell you from experience that it isn't good to turn in red/orange quests. When I came back, a friend, who was lvl 66 at the time, helped me get my shaman going. She would let me kite stuff that was orange to me, then kill it once it started beating the hell out of me. I wouldn't get full xp for the kill, but I'd get quests done a lot faster. By the time I had finished all the quests on Bloodmyst Isle, I wasn't quite level 19 yet, but was ready to head to Dark Shore. When I got there, tons of green quests, a few yellows, but I basically had to grind out a couple of levels just killing crap. Then I was ready for Astranaar. I'm sure that had I done it all myself, I would have made it to Astranaar when I was supposed to, and not had to mindlessly grind out so much xp to catch up.

Having taken about a dozen night elves to the 30's 40's and dozens of other alts, I can say even solo you wouldn't have been prepped. It's not a very smooth transition into Ashenvale given the level of a lot of quests there. You're better off cycling through Redridge/Duskwood/Wetlands if you want to level efficiently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yeah, I went that route on the warlock. I found it much better than Ashenvale. This is probably why I shelved the shaman in the first place...I had no desire to do any of the quests in Forest Song (is that the name of it?)

Offline Profile