10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Here is a rundown of the info in the Games for Windows article on Wrath of the Lich King

General

- There is concept art of Dalaran and The Nexus - both look pretty cool. The Nexus looks like this huge purple beam of magic shooting towards the sky, with rings surrounding it that look like little islands you could probably land on with a flying mount (The rings are actually a 5 man instance at level 80, the top of the Nexus is a 25 Man raid instance like Gruul with Malygos, the Blue Dragon Aspect of Magic, being the boss...info from the Tigole interview on Curse Gaming).
- Metzen says he doesn't want the end of Arthas' story to be predictable, as he says a "Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected" type of feeling.
- Metzen feels the Burning Crusade never really had an "ending" moment. Killing Illidan wasn't it because he didn't like the Legion either. So Sunwell will be it (Nice way to attempt to recover from complete lack of a story ending. The Akama betrayal is cool, but fell short at the end the way I understand it.).
- The Blood Elves are trying to reinvigorate the Sunwell using energy ported from Netherstorm (i.e. the Mana Forges), but supposively rebuilding the Sunwell is an excuse to summon Kil'jaeden (At least that would be a better explanation for the Forges, rather then the standard Blood Elves sucking on mana crack excuse. This also gives more backing because during the Akama Betrayal quest line and from a few other places, you learn that Prince Kael'thas as been planning on overthrowing Illidan).
- There is that quote that someone posted earlier in the forums that Kil'jaeden is not fully summoned, thus you can kill him with 25 lvl 70s (Not fully summoned huh? Vael 2.0?).

Zones

- Dalaran will have one or two instanced dungeons in it (like Stockades or Ragefire they said).
- Dalaran won't have Auction Houses or class trainers again (*sigh*). Same bass-ackwards reason as with Shattrath. It will probably have portals like Shattrath though, and they said possibly one to Shattrath as well (*sigh* oh well...)

Dungeons

- Sunwell area will have "tweaker Blood Elves, high on magic" and 6-8 bosses.
- Info about Utgarde: will be similar to Ramparts, but with more memorable moments to break up the "pull-rest-pull-boss" structure of other instances (way they put it). One is a giant flame forge that kills you if you step into it, but if you kill the workers operating it, it dies down. Another is a guantlet area like in Shattered Halls. One boss will be a Lich, another will be a Vrykul who summons scourge minions.
- There's a map of Utgarde Keep (low level dungeon).
- It mentions the Stratholme CoT dungeon (which isn't new news but it's recent at least).
- There will be more "micro dungeons" (i.e. non-instanced dungeon-like areas.. I guess Deatholme is probably a good example). One is called Gjalerbron where the Vrykul are working side-by-side with Liches.

Classes

Death Knight
- One idea for the Death Knight class is that you'll start in Stratholme and have to break your way out (In a way, this actually sounds kind of cool).
- Two Death Knight spells mentioned: Army of the Dead (the one from the trailer) which summons a bunch of undead minions, and Death and Decay, which is an AOE spell (I can hear warlocks worldwide crying in unison).
- One idea for an ability is Blood Boil, a damage-over-time ability that after the duration lights up two of your blood runes.
- Generally Blood runes are damage-oriented, Frost are control-oriented, and Unholy are utility and DOT mechanics.

Professions

- Inscribers will be able to sell scrolls (Hello new money making class).
- Only a handful of core spells can be inscribed. Example they used was you cannot extend the range of the Priest's Mind Vision, but you CAN extend the duration of the Hunter's Freezing Traps (HAHAHAHAHAHA, survival talents plus inscription buffing....great for dungeon trapping, but imagine the OMG nerf hunter crys in pvp for this one.)

Now, here is the zone level listing from WoW Insider

Wrath of the Lich King Zones

* Howling Fjord (68-72)
* Borean Tundra (68-72)
* The Dragonblight (71-75)
* Zul'Drak (73-76)
* Grizzly Hills (74-76)
* Azjol-Nerub (74-78)
* Sholazar Basin (75-78)
* The Storm Peaks (77-80)
* Icecrown Glacier (77-80)
* Lake Wintergrasp (Outdoor PvP)

(Note - Remarks in Italics are my personal comments, other remarks are from the article info)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:37 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Extend..... freeze trap...... duration........

*twitches and orgasms*

Though, truthfully, it's hardly needed. 26 second trap on a 26 second cooldown as it is, with talents alone. Not counting the Beast Lord set right now at 70 which can bring the duration down to 20 seconds.

Right now, we don't need longer traps, imo. Maybe it will be needed for the expansion though. I wonder what other potential thing they could even put into freeze traps though. They said they wanted more than one option for every spell that could be inscribed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The main reason I could see the long trap duration is for 5 Man CC...though as of right now, so long as the hunter in the group isn't a fuckin retard, the current durations work just fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:19 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

They actually called it the Nexus... lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Scars of Velious redux

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Should be fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Nananea wrote:
Scars of Velious redux

Oh thats an understatement...there are so many similarities between Velious and Northrend. Then again, if Blizzard is going to "draw inspiration" from any of the EQ1 content at least their doing it from the best expansion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:59 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
It's honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer. Frost giants? Walrus men? A lush forest in a polar continent (hello wakening lands)?

but for sure, SoV was a great expansion and it looks like this one will be as well from first impressions. AFK 2 years wake me up when it's here :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:33 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Nananea wrote:
It's honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer. Frost giants? Walrus men? A lush forest in a polar continent (hello wakening lands)?

but for sure, SoV was a great expansion and it looks like this one will be as well from first impressions. AFK 2 years wake me up when it's here :P

What's the wakening lands?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:40 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

intin wrote:

Between Kael and Skyshrine. It had the entrance to the plane of growth in it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:46 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Cinnaas wrote:
intin wrote:

Between Kael and Skyshrine. It had the entrance to the plane of growth in it.

Sweet. Are there any quests?

Sorry I'm bored at work. I know what WL is :p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:26 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I love RoK and SoV, I even loved PoP though it killed wizard travel but I still loved it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:31 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

CakvalaSC wrote:
I love RoK and SoV, I even loved PoP though it killed wizard travel but I still loved it.

Outside of a little dumbing down and the lack of pp earning potential for wizards/druids following PoP I don't quite understand what peoples problems with it were. It was a fantastic expansion pack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I never understood the whines wizards and druids had over porting, especially those in raiding guilds.

It wasn't a privilege, it was part of your responsibility. Your job was to grab 5 and port to the area, go pick up more. You get people there fast so you can take targets out. We lost so many mobs in FL because we had to listen to cunts like Mascen bitch and whine every time they had to port people. It was understood if people weren't where they needed to be for pickup.

I never paid for ports or translocates either. I kept my own shards on me and replaced ones that were used. This pissed so many people off. Just like a lot of people don't believe in paying stupid prices for combines for WoW tradeskills or enchants, especially when you are providing the materials. The nether concept is ok, as I don't mind paying for a component of that nature.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You roll a porting/summoning class, your ass better port people. If you can't handle it a simple (and minor) part of your class, roll another one.

Just about as bad a priests who go Shadow and say "I can't heal a 5 man, I'm shadow"...whining bitches.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:05 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
priests who are shadow and say they can't heal a five man are just incompetent.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:12 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
and lazy!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 PM 
Spider Slayer

I'd rather have one of the best DPS classes DPSing instead of healing if they were better at it. :x Blizz kinda turned their role around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:07 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Except in non-heroic 5-mans they're not that much better if at all, offer less cc/utility, and if you shake a tree 3 billion other dps'ers fall out of it. They can't heal heroics, but at that level most are forced into disc/holy by their guilds anyway. There's a derth of healers.

Shadow priests really shine in Black Morass, apart from that it's usually heal or get kicked.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:51 AM 
Spider Slayer

Most of ours were forced to go shadow for their synergy with locks and ability to boost hunter DPS. :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:27 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Except in non-heroic 5-mans they're not that much better if at all, offer less cc/utility, and if you shake a tree 3 billion other dps'ers fall out of it. They can't heal heroics, but at that level most are forced into disc/holy by their guilds anyway. There's a derth of healers.
Not on my server. Shadow priests far outnumber holy priests, especially in pugs from my standpoint.

In some heroics I'd rather take a shadow priest along to MC a mob as cc than most classes, if both are of equivalent skill level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:12 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I'm shadow and I can heal any normal 5-man and most heroics, but why the hell would I want to? I get random tells from people all the time asking me to heal or dps whatever instance and just tell them no thanks. But hell, I've used my last 50 badges to buy nethers to craft crap for people as it is and haven't ran a 5 man in probably 2 months. It's not laziness, it's just the 5 man instances are boring now and I'd rather do other stuff with my time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:36 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Jateki wrote:
I'm shadow and I can heal any normal 5-man and most heroics, but why the hell would I want to?

We had some priest who used the 'Why the hell should I have to heal, I'm shadow spec' excuse to spam guild chat with "(insert random instance here) group looking for a healer" for hours on end. After about 2 hours of that shit one day (and being the only other healer online at the time), I told him he should just grab another DSP and he could heal...to which he (a 40 something year old man) went into an emo rage about how he's shadow and pissed/moaned that no one in the guild wanted to help him.

Stuff like that makes me glad I let my account expire for the time being...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:58 PM 
Bridge Dweller

sometimes i hate how wow gives you so many options on how to play a character.

priests are healers, that's it. if you wanna play shadow damage play a warlock.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:06 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I agree, to a point, but Shadow Priests are pretty awesome. As are Pally tanks. Ret Pallies, on the other hand....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 PM 
Bridge Dweller

What about subtlety rogues?????

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:31 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Normally, back when I did run 5 mans, I was always the top dps of the group as shadow. My dps position in raids depends on if there's a shaman in my group for the wrath of air, and when that's the case it's only a couple of our locks beating me in dps some of the time. If we only have one shaman then it's usually with the melee and the rogues and locks will beat me out as I'm grouped with 4 healers. But even then I'm still right up there and normally always above dps warriors, druids, hunters and mages (unless it is aoe based). But the utility shadow priests bring to the group through VT and VE is simply amazing and trivializes many situations. With enough AP and Crit, ret pallies can be a fun spec.

I am leveling a lock, druid and rogue right now but mainly for pvp. We also have a hunter that we're leveling for kicks. God hunters are just too damn easy to level.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:43 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Jateki wrote:
Normally, back when I did run 5 mans, I was always the top dps of the group as shadow. My dps position in raids depends on if there's a shaman in my group for the wrath of air, and when that's the case it's only a couple of our locks beating me in dps some of the time. If we only have one shaman then it's usually with the melee and the rogues and locks will beat me out as I'm grouped with 4 healers. But even then I'm still right up there and normally always above dps warriors, druids, hunters and mages (unless it is aoe based). But the utility shadow priests bring to the group through VT and VE is simply amazing and trivializes many situations. With enough AP and Crit, ret pallies can be a fun spec.

I am leveling a lock, druid and rogue right now but mainly for pvp. We also have a hunter that we're leveling for kicks. God hunters are just too damn easy to level.

VT is just a minor perk, ask Tarot. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
What about subtlety rogues?????

PVP against a subtlety Rogue and find out. A Rogue still has one function, and a good Rogue can fuck shit up, regardless of his or her tree of choice.

Offline Profile