It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:10 PM 
Noob
Noob

So we were doing High King with some friends in another guild the other night, and we were doing pretty good. A good 90 percent of us had never even seen the fight until this night. We finally got stuff in to place, and were getting further along in the fight. After our 3rd try, most of the server crashed. When we logged back on, we didn't realize that it had reset the looting to group loot. Well we switch in a recruit from my guild since we had one leaving. We are on our 5th try, and finally things go in to play, and high king dies. We go to loot, and it goes to the loot box, and i'm thinking it could be bad with recruits i've never really played with. Well amazingly, everyone passes. We roll out the loots, and award the fury warrior the dps plate bracers. He loots his bracers, walks away. We roll the first set of shoulders, the player loots them and backs off. We go to roll the final set of shoulders (defender shoulders) and the warrior that had already won the fury warrior bracers goes back to the corpse, and loots the damn shoulders also. We were all so pissed, but what can you do?

It was my first real ninja experience on that level, it really made me miss the shit list and the old Lanys/eq community. I am however doing my best, to make sure he doesn't get guilded again haha.

Senious - a.k.a. Kaidus
Arthas alliance-

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:15 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
When I make raids, they default to master looter. I have to change it to group loot before raids if we are going to use group loot. Perhaps whoever is in charge of starting your raids needs to figure out how to do the same. Sorry it happened, though, but at least it was a fairly common drop (since 2 shoulders drop every time).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:44 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
What's odd about wow, when I compare it to EQ is the sheer and utter apathy about ninjalooting stuff. It has to be because stuff is instanced and you can just try again when it resets.

We've had a number of big ninjas occur and folks on the forums could care less, or discount the ninja with "hey its only MC loot"...disregarding that the ninja itself was underhanded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:17 PM 
Spider Slayer

I was met with the same apathy when I tried to call out a guild officer in another guild who used that wall exploit in AQ40 to turn in his armament. In fact, they got defensive and started blaming their wipes on world bosses on us, when they did it all by themselves and probably just couldn't handle the pressure of another guild waiting on them to wipe.

Lots of "it's not your loot, why do you care?" "so what if he exploits, as long as blizz doesn't fix it", etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:14 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Sucks that happened... and it can, especially with new recruits in an open-minded friendly guild.

Personally, I've been in the same guild in WoW for a couple years now and we've never had a ninja-looting incident to date and we always keep it on free for all when we're raiding. If you're fairly paranoid about loot it's a good idea I suppose, but among good friends I don't see the point unless you often raid with people you don't know. Another thing about WoW(as mentioned with the instancing) is there's not often that once in a lifetime loot that you'll never ever see again.

IMO it's worth having it on free for all just so the idiots can call themselves out earlier about being assholes than they normally would if you kept it on master loot and took all necessary precautions. There just seems to be a lot less to lose over WoW ninja looting than in EQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:36 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

We also kept it on FFA most of the time in my old guild. The only real ninja instances that I remember involved the bosses that drop a single "head"-type item that starts a quest. People are so used to those things dropping for everyone out in the world or in 5-mans that we had a couple recruits loot Onyxia's head or one memerable Broodlord loot. We were always more understanding about looting that kind of quest item as opposed to a normal drop, especially since it's guarenteed to drop everytime. Not to mention that doing 2 Onys a week pretty much every other member had the head at some point already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:34 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I say Master Looter/Threshold for raids and Group Loot Threshold/Rolls for 5 instances. It totally sucks what happened with that ninja warrior, but blizzard does have a really effective system in place to avoid this crap. Everyone can still roll in a master looter situation and people only get screwed if the master looter is the ninja, which I’ve actually heard of on my server with some other guild. The case on my server was the raid leader snatching the King’s Defender from Chess. Can the master looted actually default/assign the loot from that? I remember having to open the chest. But anyway, how freaking pathetic is that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 PM 
Noob
Noob

We used to use FFA loot in Vision. We raid with the same people every day, you would think that you could trust them all, right?

Nef had never dropped his staff before, and we were all waiting for it so that Reffy, our highest DKP member, could win it. This particular night, we owned Nef as usual, and looted... Everyone started cheering, Nef had finally dropped his staff for Reffy! Everyone congratulated him, then we moved on to the set pieces. Kaideli, a priest, went and looted the staff and went offline immediately.

Everyone petitioned instantly, the GM said "You should have it on Master Looter to prevent accidental looting of items." We all told the GM it was NOT accidental, you don't accidentally loot something and then go offline immediately, and never come back. Since server transfers were open by that time, we knew he would be gone soon, so we all agreed to mail him small things, such as level 5 water... one at a time, to keep his mailbox full so he couldn't transfer. It worked for a couple weeks, but then he figured out that he could log in during the middle of the night and clear out his mailbox =( Nef never again dropped his staff for us. There are lots better staves out there now, but for our first time having that loot drop and having someone that we thought we could trust steal it... yeah it really sucked. We use Master Looter during raids now. =(

Offline Profile