It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:34 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

We faced a team with our 5v5 yesterday that was intentionally losing. They just stood at the spawn point and did nothing at all. Why the hell would they do that? Is there something I’m missing? Hell, it was 3 easy wins and points but that’s a joke and no fun at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Slyfinger
WoW: Booji
It's WoW pvp. Win or lose, you are getting gear eventually.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:50 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Jateki wrote:
We faced a team with our 5v5 yesterday that was intentionally losing. They just stood at the spawn point and did nothing at all. Why the hell would they do that? Is there something I’m missing? Hell, it was 3 easy wins and points but that’s a joke and no fun at all.

They may have needed to get someone the % of matches done for points in a limited time schedule.

That being said, I was in vent last night with someone doing arena matches, and there was some bug, one got knocked off line, the other got stuck, then they ended up at the start point ultimately unable to move or exit the match until it was ended. First I've heard of such a thing, and it didn't happen to them again.

Doubt that's what happened in your situation, as I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else. But maybe, who knows. I'd bet more on it being an issue of needing to do X matches before a certain time, and losing was the fastest way to do that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:14 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yeah, that could be but yesterday was the start of a new arena week. I was wondering if there was some crazy strategy of purposely losing in order lower rating early in the week so you could face weaker teams later in the week and then crank out wins. But that just didn't make much sense because just winning from the start should yield more points. The other idea was that maybe it was a dummy team that people were using to try to farm easy wins with their main team. But that didn’t make sense either as how the hell would they be guaranteed to face each other and it would be hard to pull off with a 5v5. I think I read about people doing something like with a 2v2 but it still doesn’t make much sense.

It's probably what Sly was saying though, they just wanted to get 10 games to fram points and didn't give a crap. You get 338 with a 1400 rating in a 5v5 so that might be it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:15 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
Speaking of bugs, I personally just love the games where you end up playing a team that queued for a scrimmage. You get to see some of the most retarded tactics you've ever seen ever in those matches. At the end of season 1 we got into a bugged game where this mage in full spellfire runs a good 30 yards ahead of his teammates and ap pom pyro's our warrior. Which was fucking hilarious because he went down in about 2 seconds. The rest of his team followed suit shortly thereafter. Good times.

As for people intentionally losing arenas, I can't say I've ever seen that. We spent most of Season 1 hovering around 2100 until we started clicking and got up to 2300+ so never really saw some team that bent over like that before.

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:19 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

My team tries to win, but we just suck and don't really care so much if we don't get lots of points. So we come out normally with a losing record.

We certainly don't stand in place and let people kill us though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:38 PM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

im a n00b when it comes to arena, im ok geared and my partner just hit 70 and i sok geared. When you lose you lose points dont you? We went 8-11 in our first week only earned 254pts. Kinda sucked but we figure at this rate in a month we should have 1 item :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

There are some teams I believe that are losing with their alts intentionally to check overall arena populations or some such by getting their rating as low as possible. I'm not entirely sure how it works but that's how the rumor goes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:41 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I joined a team with my mage that consists of 4 frost mages and a lock. We're 50% so far which is better than I expected. We haven't had anyone who just stood there and took it, but it sure seemed like some of the teams were skirmish teams as mentioned above.

-Cinnas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:40 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Venen wrote:
There are some teams I believe that are losing with their alts intentionally to check overall arena populations or some such by getting their rating as low as possible. I'm not entirely sure how it works but that's how the rumor goes.

Basically you get the lowest arena rating you can get in that bracket and you can calculate exactly how many teams are in the .5% bracket for the top arena awards at the end of the season. Since you would have a rank associated with your team. Like if you were rank 16,000 (not rating) there would be 16,000 teams in that bracket for your battlegroup.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
elidrin wrote:
Venen wrote:

Basically you get the lowest arena rating you can get in that bracket and you can calculate exactly how many teams are in the .5% bracket for the top arena awards at the end of the season. Since you would have a rank associated with your team. Like if you were rank 16,000 (not rating) there would be 16,000 teams in that bracket for your battlegroup.

Interesting, I'd never have thought of that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:02 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Tarot wrote:
elidrin wrote:
Venen wrote:

Interesting, I'd never have thought of that.

This really only applies to the 2v2 and 3v3 brackets where the number of teams far exceeds what the armory shows. Caps at like 5k teams or something. I really didn't pay attention to this until the end of Season 1 when we were trying to figure out if our team would be in the .5% bracket. I saw some posts and was surprised at just how many teams the 2v2 and 3v3 brackets had. It never applied to my team though as our 5v5 bracket for Rampage only had like 3800 teams so we didn't run off the list in the armory. It's a pretty clever way to find out how many teams are in those deep brackets though.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:06 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

However, now that I think about it. Queue times would probably be ridiculous once your rating dropped that far.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:30 AM 
Noob
Noob

These are probably just people that reform their team every week to stay around the 1500 rating. Loose 10 matches and collect points. In the end you get basicly free epics in return.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:21 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

my team is going into week 4. Week 1 we went 8-11 (should of only done 10), 2nd week we went 7-3, 3rd week we went 6-4. I dont see why you would want to lose 10 games and reform because we have gone up in points each week so far. was like 254, 286, and 303 this week. If you reset your team each week would you not only get a bit over 250pts if you lose 10 games each week?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 AM 

Quote:

Ah it all makes sense now, thanks =D

Offline Profile