It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:09 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Hey, I wanted to ask for some opinions from the good folks on Lanys. I've been doing some arena and battleground pvp after we had our battlegroup merger and I have some choices. Basically it comes down to upgrading with lower cost items that help me immediately or saving for the more expensive items that are just flat out bigger upgrades.

Here's my armory link for reference:
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... t&n=Kateki

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading the wand to the pvp wand as it's a resilience, stamina, mana and dps upgrade for only 1100 points. On the honor side, I'm working on getting the Veteran's boots, ring and belt next. My situation right now is I do very well in the BG's but not that great in the Arena matches. Basically we are breaking even but we are still learning to play as a team and really don’t have much arena experience. That's mainly from play style because I can hang with the crowd in the BG's and just pick people off, fear, silence, mana burn. But in the arena's it much harder because I really lack the hp, armor and resilience of the pvp gear. I can boost my HP to about 9200 with 1000 or so +dmg for the arenas by switching some items out, my profile as shown was just after a BG and I’m not nearly concerned about HP and just focus on dps.

So save 3200 points for the mace, or upgrade as I go? Also, that new pvp trinket with resilience and 2 min cooldown, is that worth getting before one of the veteran’s pieces?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:55 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
Jateki wrote:
Hey, I wanted to ask for some opinions from the good folks on Lanys. I've been doing some arena and battleground pvp after we had our battlegroup merger and I have some choices. Basically it comes down to upgrading with lower cost items that help me immediately or saving for the more expensive items that are just flat out bigger upgrades.

Here's my armory link for reference:
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... t&n=Kateki

Right now I'm thinking of upgrading the wand to the pvp wand as it's a resilience, stamina, mana and dps upgrade for only 1100 points. On the honor side, I'm working on getting the Veteran's boots, ring and belt next. My situation right now is I do very well in the BG's but not that great in the Arena matches. Basically we are breaking even but we are still learning to play as a team and really don’t have much arena experience. That's mainly from play style because I can hang with the crowd in the BG's and just pick people off, fear, silence, mana burn. But in the arena's it much harder because I really lack the hp, armor and resilience of the pvp gear. I can boost my HP to about 9200 with 1000 or so +dmg for the arenas by switching some items out, my profile as shown was just after a BG and I’m not nearly concerned about HP and just focus on dps.

So save 3200 points for the mace, or upgrade as I go? Also, that new pvp trinket with resilience and 2 min cooldown, is that worth getting before one of the veteran’s pieces?

First and foremost, get survivability and like do it right now. You have no get out of jail free cards and your ass will be grass as a first target almost any good team you fight. As for going for season 1 gear due to it being cheaper or going for season 2? I guess that's your call. You should probably go out of your way to get veteran honor rewards, get the medallion of the alliance, and try to find any pvp gear you can get your hands on. You need resilience in a bad bad way imho.

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:13 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

elidrin wrote:
First and foremost, get survivability and like do it right now. You have no get out of jail free cards and your ass will be grass as a first target almost any good team you fight. As for going for season 1 gear due to it being cheaper or going for season 2? I guess that's your call. You should probably go out of your way to get veteran honor rewards, get the medallion of the alliance, and try to find any pvp gear you can get your hands on. You need resilience in a bad bad way imho.

Thanks for the tips man. I'm not getting season 1 over season 2 stuff; I'm asking if I should get the cheaper season 2 items to fill more slots vice saving for a more expensive item that only fills one slot. I completely agree with you about needing resilience and more HP very badly and that's what I'm working on. God my resilience is 28 and at that level it may as well be 0. I can raise my resilience by 118 fairly quickly by picking up the arena wand and finishing off the veteran's honor stuff and the better trinket. Getting the honor stuff is also a pretty big HP boost as well.

I guess I'm leaning towards quantity of quality at this point. Thanks again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:22 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Jateki wrote:
elidrin wrote:

Thanks for the tips man. I'm not getting season 1 over season 2 stuff; I'm asking if I should get the cheaper season 2 items to fill more slots vice saving for a more expensive item that only fills one slot. I completely agree with you about needing resilience and more HP very badly and that's what I'm working on. God my resilience is 28 and at that level it may as well be 0. I can raise my resilience by 118 fairly quickly by picking up the arena wand and finishing off the veteran's honor stuff and the better trinket. Getting the honor stuff is also a pretty big HP boost as well.

I guess I'm leaning towards quantity of quality at this point. Thanks again.

I would probably pick up the cheapest 2 pieces of Season 2 armor you can. The +35 resilience set bonus will be a nice help when you don't have much to begin with. I'll be picking up my 3rd piece of Season 2 tonight and I'll finally have those slots covered. I'll move onto upgrade the final 2 pieces to Season 2 probably then get the staff. In mean time I'll be farming honor as best I can to fill out the rest of my slots. I would say resilience is probably more important for you than it is for me, at least I have 2 ice blocks when I take fire, you're at the complete and total mercy of your healers.

edit: Oh and you're also at the mercy of how good your CCers are. :)

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:01 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Oh man, I didn't even think of the set bonus. I’ll pick up the wand tonight and then I'm going to pick up two pieces ASAP vice saving points. Looks like the gloves and shoulders are my best bet and by the time I have enough for those I should have all the honor stuff done. Honor is pretty easy to farm right now. Queues are normally under 3 minutes atm. This route should make for a more fun season. I have a pretty good shaman healer on all three of my arena teams but I do seem to get focused fired on in some matches. Usually they try taking out the healer first though, unless it's a pally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:39 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Jateki wrote:
Oh man, I didn't even think of the set bonus. I’ll pick up the wand tonight and then I'm going to pick up two pieces ASAP vice saving points. Looks like the gloves and shoulders are my best bet and by the time I have enough for those I should have all the honor stuff done. Honor is pretty easy to farm right now. Queues are normally under 3 minutes atm. This route should make for a more fun season. I have a pretty good shaman healer on all three of my arena teams but I do seem to get focused fired on in some matches. Usually they try taking out the healer first though, unless it's a pally.

I may be mistaken, but I think the wand is one of the weaker arena pieces and see a lot of casters simply using the +19 stamina dungeon blue wand.

Best bang for your buck is almost assuredly the gloves because they help get you the two piece bonus ASAP as well as carrying a 'unique' bonus to one of your abilities; some bonuses are ok, some are just plain awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yeah, I know the gloves make a better first choice but the wand is an item that I'll equip 100% of the time, pve or pvp and it will not get upgraded until we get into Black Temple. Being that my guild is still learning SSC and TK, that won’t be anytime soon. The bonus is Increases the duration of your Psychic Scream spell by 1 sec. But my fear never lasts for the full duration as most trinket out of it or damage breaks it. But the 2 piece set bonus does kick ass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I always tell people the same thing you already heard here: get the 2 cheapest pieces (gloves and whatever) first so you can get the set bonus. I didn't take that advice, though. I got the Merciless hat because it looks pimp.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:27 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I ended up getting the wand last night and I'll be working towards the arena 2 gloves and shoulders next. I'm hoping I can hit revered with netherwing today and pick up that 45 stamina trinket for a hp boost.

I went 8-2 last night with my resto shaman partner and it was the best we've done so far. We would have been 9-1 if I hadn't killed myself with SWD one match. I'm such a noob sometimes, really thought I hit my shield, but I guess it wasn't up. The bad news is the elemental shaman and warrior that's also on our team went 2-8 earlier so our rating is 1497. It’s cool though, my main focus is on the 5v5 anyway because it yields more points but damn that was fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Picked up the legs this Tuesday and now I'm up to 282 resilience! Whee. Need more time to grind honor now. :|

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:25 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I need more time as well. Been farming gold and rep doing all those daily quests, damn that's an easy way to make gold. I haven't done a single battleground since Sunday but I have gotten my games in on the 2v2 and 5v5.

Gratz on the legs man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

Our lock is on vacation until the weekend so we haven't been able to work on our 5v5 rating yet. Ran a few 2v2's with my holy priest friend last night and we did ok. Only team that gave us any trouble we went 1-1 against, lock + paladin. I think with a few more games under my belt we could do better. 2v2 is much much different than 5v5 imo.

Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile