It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:23 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Jateki wrote:
I’m on two arena teams and haven’t done much of anything with either other than a few practice runs. It’s more of a problem to PVP than raiding is atm, you need everyone on your team online and with the spare time to PVP vice farming crap to support their raid needs. Another big problem I have is with the queues on Azuremyst, we are very low population server that’s in a low population battlegroup. Doing any type of arena or battleground PVP during off-peak hours, when it’s actually convenient, is pretty much impossible. I’ve been in so many Eye of the Storm battlegrounds that ended because of lack of players it’s ridiculous. That basically leaves the weekend for any type of PVP for me.

But that’s basically my only gripes with WoW atm. I’m having a blast with the heroic and normal instances, quests, trade skills and raiding. I checked out Vanguard in beta and my son has the retail version, but it’s just not for me yet. I was also in LOTR beta and that game needed help on many levels. I think Oblivion could be morphed into a better MMORG than either of those with its storyline. It’s going to take an exceptional game to pull me away from WoW at this point because I’d personally rather play CS or FEAR online over any other MMORG on the market.

Givin found this post, and im going to copy it here but this is dead on the problems with WoW.

Quote:
The mistake of the expansion was this, they were too afraid of PvP'ers being dominated by Kel'thuzad drops. They were too afraid of the .25% of raiding guilds killing Illidan by June.

Their Solution:

Arena PvP: Strongly designed weapons, DPS levels 2 tiers in. Resilience, PvP only stat. These two things were outstanding decisions. A dedicated PvP'er mitigates crit rate from a raider, and can have weapons on par with that same raider which helps.

Downside: They just made most of the best PvE weapons more reliably attainable through PvP because you control your drop. No longer will you farm Onyxia for 10 months before a single Vis'kag drops.

Mudflation: They decided they did not want raiding to yield a more powerful character. The mantra of "two fucking AP" became the rule. One elixir now yields a larger offensive boost than looting 2-4 epic items.

Downside: Raiders no longer become more effective in line with difficulty of Boss tuning. The margin for error on subsequent kills does not increase. Because Horde now has paladins, the overall difficulty of the majority of fights is inflated due to an optimal raids power over one that would pre-BC be doable with a few key requirements, and then whatever you had online to fill the 40. Raiders do not enjoy the fact that on the 5th+ kill of many bosses, the loot they have earned has earned them 15 void crystals, little to no stat increases, and one mistake is still as unforgiving as the 1st kill. We did not shard anything except duplicate drops because it was a downgrade in MC/BWL/Late AQ/Naxx. First kill loot is being sharded in NON-DKP systems.

My guild was the only Horde kill of C'thun/Ouro/Visc (and we farmed them every week.) My guild was 4 bosses deep in Naxx before we ran out of time due to starting our progression cycle in BWL just before AQ40 came out and since we weren't crazy about consumables, we used gear progression as a means to break into the following zones. We potted when we needed to, and used flasks on our tanks. We used limited resist pots on Ragnaros, We used DPS consumables on First Nefarion kills, we used Flasks and DPS pots on Twin Emps first kills. We used cheap nature pots on Ouro and Viscidus, and DPS pots on C'thun first kills. We raided 4 nights a week for 4 hours.

Burning Crusade's problems for my guild are the following:

1) Excessively high DPS benchmarks: one DPS death, sub-optimal spec, or lack of consumables to the extreme = automatic wipes. This creates a necessity to raid stack excessively to make success possible. The guild must balance heavily our marginally weaker players so that no given raid has too many of them. We are not talking Idiots, we are talking Average.
2) The concept of "Gearing up instead of farming consumables" to progress through content does not exist. My 9-5 working class guild cannot put in the hours to provide and farm the required consumables to reasonably progress in SSC and beyond. We can handle one or two fights per zone asking for some amount of consumable use. But not the majority.
3) Raid design involving a role that two or three players of one specific class can only accomplish with luck, or outstanding ability and awareness. This again pushes for exclusion and raid stacking.

My guild now raids, one night a week (25man) and kills two bosses, We clear three Karazhan ID's the third of which involves level 70 alts to fill in class requirements without being forced to recruit a player who has no slot in future 25mans. Our guild bank has too many Void Crystals. We have used a grand total of two Maulgar drops(beyond shoulders) as an actual upgrade.

The keying process for Tempest Keep is severe and unforgiving, our tanks will be forced into shouldering an unfair burden, some of the instances will require final boss sub ins so that the clearing of the instances to those bosses is less painful due to class stacking easing the pain. But we persist and will get there. The BC is a good expansion. Guilds who need content past Kara, raid a moderate amount (3-4 nights) are being squeezed out of WoW. Too many of my members have been given reasons to move onto a different game or go inactive. Unless 2.1 truly solves many of these problems, I foresee even more members choosing to move on instead of endure an activity that is supposed to be fun, but ultimately frustrating at our level of time commitment. We are far from casual, and far from bleeding edge. If loyalty and commitment to the guild were not so strong in the membership core, I could easily see the most hardcore transfer off, and the slightly more casual quit. They would not desire a new home and their tenure in WoW would be over.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Pretty accurate assessment.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
That is a good summary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:36 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
1) Excessively high DPS benchmarks: one DPS death, sub-optimal spec, or lack of consumables to the extreme = automatic wipes. This creates a necessity to raid stack excessively to make success possible. The guild must balance heavily our marginally weaker players so that no given raid has too many of them. We are not talking Idiots, we are talking Average.

That is a good post, but I have to disagree with the automatic wipe statement. Our first Prince, Nightbane and Gruul kills all came with some early deaths and no SS or battle rezzes. Just last night we lost a DPS druid and rogue to prince way to early and still got him to 1% and about 11k hp with 8 before we wiped and then owned him outright the second attempt, and we’re fighting out on the terrace as intended. I know consumables are playing a huge role in raids for DPS, healers and tanks so I’m not disagreeing with that, just the part of one DPS death or sub-optimal spec leading to a wipe, we only had one true healer.

But what is the post saying? That the risk/reward is off and stuff is too hard? Nerf the content so consumables play a lesser role and gear is more relevant? Isn’t that what the direction we’re already headed with 2.1?

I do agree that some will still persist and get there regardless of what 2.1 brings, hell some are already there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:35 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Funny, no where do I see a complaint about the game being too easy...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:54 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Venen hasn't posted yet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:58 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

:lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:40 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Hey, I'm here when you need me =)

I really haven't done that much raiding at this point so I can't comment on that, I expect it's significantly tougher than the old world content. From what I've heard from friends, most of the problems arise when one or two people fuck it up by being retards during an encounter.

What I find most disturbing though is the fact that I am maybe a *slightly* above average player at best, and if I find heroics weaksauce tanking them in non-prot spec in tier 2 BWL gear while others are crying about how difficult they are... I have no other option except to weep for humanity.

I will say that Shattered Halls on Heroic seemed a bit nasty to me. I'm not sure if this patch is tuning that down, but I would be sad if they do.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:53 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
Hey, I'm here when you need me =)

I really haven't done that much raiding at this point so I can't comment on that, I expect it's significantly tougher than the old world content. From what I've heard from friends, most of the problems arise when one or two people fuck it up by being retards during an encounter.

What I find most disturbing though is the fact that I am maybe a *slightly* above average player at best, and if I find heroics weaksauce tanking them in non-prot spec in tier 2 BWL gear while others are crying about how difficult they are... I have no other option except to weep for humanity.

I will say that Shattered Halls on Heroic seemed a bit nasty to me. I'm not sure if this patch is tuning that down, but I would be sad if they do.

What heroics have you run and what's your typically group composition like?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:20 AM 

Mana tombs, Shadow Labs, Mechanar, Ramparts, Steamvaults to name a few. Group makeup varies, but usually I have a main healer and a backup healer along with two DPS classes that are usually capable of some CC. Shattered Halls we only managed to make partway through.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:23 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
Mana tombs, Shadow Labs, Mechanar, Ramparts, Steamvaults to name a few. Group makeup varies, but usually I have a main healer and a backup healer along with two DPS classes that are usually capable of some CC. Shattered Halls we only managed to make partway through.

I'd curious to see how you fare in Slave Pens or Underbog tanking double Bog Giants / Defender packs with Wrath and not protection specced.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:46 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Yea, those double Bog Giants in Underbog suck ass.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:01 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The pull before the first boss in SP with the two defenders would be really rough. But really, why bring a main tank in a heroic that isn't prot spec as rage would be gimped, so dps would have to hold back because of it. I've had good results with druids, pallies and warriors tanking heroics but all them had the gear and spec for it. Druids can build some really nice aggro.

I wouldn't go into a heoic expecting to main heal it as a shadow prist even though I have some pretty decent healing gear and +1325 healing. Mainly because I'm way more effective as dps.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 PM 

Rage gimped? /boggle, I think that's the least of my problems. Overall mitigation/+sta etc is the best thing I can say about prot spec, with a close second being increased agro production via defiance, Devastate, etc. Having enough rage to chain spam sunders is almost never a problem with or without prot.

Prot spec is awesome no doubt about it, but rage isn't really one of the convincing attributes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:06 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I don't know, maybe they just suck at building aggro. But I run into problems pulling aggro with certain none prot tanks on my server all the time. But I can pretty much go all out with guild tanks which are a druid, paladin and 2 of our warriors. When another one of our warriors went from prot to arms I noticed a big ass difference in her ability to hold aggro. Hell, I can see it on KTM. From a aggro standpoint, no one touches the druid that I've seen. He jumps in and has 5k while I'm still casting my first VT. It's simply amazing and the mage and warlock I normally group with love him.

Anyway, we did a heroic Underbog, Crypts and Slave Pens tonight that was probably the quickest runs I've been apart off. The group was made up:

Druid tank
Shaman healer
Mage
Shadow Priest
Druid, feral dps

easymode badge farming tonight.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:31 AM 

Yeah no question about it, it's much easier to build agro. There's really no reason in particular to bring a non-prot spec tank along unless there's just no other tank available at the time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 AM 
Spider Slayer

I've had opposite experience with burr tankz. Say during Gruul, we've had a burr tank before, who kept agro reasonably well (hateful strikes), but he was being misdirected by the hunters every time.

Normally my threat per second even with salvation gains over the same tank in Karazhan/heroics. I don't have this problem with prot warriors. I don't even have this problem with arms warriors, after they get a buffer. It's pretty difficult to catch up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:49 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I'd say the biggest issue with a non-prot (at least with some protection abilities) Tank is aggro/hate buildup. I've done all sorts of instances with non-traditional tanks and any time it's a Warrior not built to tank, I have to hold back the damage big time.

As a side note, and totally off topic, I used to be Combat/swords (as we have discussed many times before on these boards) but changed to a subtlety build when they made the original PVP changes in November or December to take advantage of getting Cloak of Shadows. After having that spec for so long, I am really hard-pressed to change back to Combat now. If you read the Rogue official boards, the idiots that are convinced that their spec is the best evar (!!) will try to say that anyting outside of Mutilate or Combat is gimp. However, I have found that having prep, along with the increased +attack with my build, is just too good to pass up. Granted, I have pretty good gear, which helps, but still, being able to Evasion-tank a mob (even a boss) for up to 30 seconds has come in handy. Don't let some kids tell you otherwise!

Since I am jumping around, here are some changes you can expect to see when the patch is live. Apparently, virtually every item is being looked at and altered as needed. It's nice to see the Aldor Exalted Sword getting a buff (to 81 DPS).

Quote:

Not on the list:
Riftmaker got buffed to 81.4 DPS
Consortium rep items (including the Guile) got a buff: PIC

Expect more buffs (including from items in Karazhan) soon.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Quote:
It's nice to see the Aldor Exalted Sword getting a buff (to 81 DPS)

Really? Sweet =) I have that.

By all accounts tho, Guile is getting nerfed by like 12 ap and 6 agi last I heard. Where did you hear it was getting buffed?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:48 PM 
Spider Slayer

The only reason a rogue would need to evasion tank is if the tanks go down, which usually means a screw up in the first place. I've saved a Maiden of Virtue and Gruul kill with evasion tanking, but that's twice out of the many times I just get insta-gibbed before I can press a button or they just plain whack through my evasion.

Attack power talents for a rogue really doesn't bring a whole lot of damage increase when you lose combat potency, adrenaline rush, blade flurry, dw spec, precision, etc. If your focus is max damage, then combat or mutilate combat really are your only options. I don't think any leader takes into account if we can evasion tank bosses for 30 seconds when they bring in a rogue. Furthermore, as a deep subtlety rogue you might not even be next on the threat list after the tank, so what does it matter if you die after all the DPS got taken out?

As for another off-topic rogue thing, hemo is good for 1v1 at least. At high levels of play it seems to be the only spec we can win with. Seems people are just coming to realize how bad sta/resilience hurts rogues. People were saying it back before TBC even came out, but it took a video for some people to get it. Rogues just can't compete with 10k-13k HP opponents strutting 250+ resilience, and it's only getting higher whenever the next set is implemented. I really hate what PvP is becoming in WoW.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Guess I should have clarified and said the Guile got a DPS buff. I wasn't aware of the attack and agi nerfs until you mentioned it. I can't imagine going for Exalted with the Consortium to get it anyway. :P

Old:

New:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:15 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Ahhh yeah. Well I'm like 40% to exalted so I figured I'd finish up lol since my guild has a hard enough time these days manning both kara runs.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:11 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I don't want to play a dagger build, it's a different playstyle I don't even want to touch.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:12 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Hehe nice offhand for now tho =)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:23 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I'd like to see some non-pvp fists that're really worth a fuck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 AM 
Spider Slayer

Just put a 2-3 man arena team together, the offhands are super cheap. probably get one in two-three weeks of 3v3, for less than an hours work. they'll be 1.5 speed next patch.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

That's not even the point, don't you think it's pretty fucked up there aren't any decent fists besides the pvp ones?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:30 AM 
Spider Slayer

Well, what's sad is the arena weapons are better until end of SSC and you don't need to put in even half the effort it takes to get that far. :P But I just took advantage of that fact.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 AM 
Spider Slayer

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 0511&sid=1

My malchazeen and T4 will be worth wearing now. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:01 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

God damn people are fucking stupid.

An assload of weapons are getting buffed across the board and people are ACTUALLY bitching about it, fucking retards.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:14 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

DarkOmen42 wrote:
God damn people are fucking stupid.

An assload of weapons are getting buffed across the board and people are ACTUALLY bitching about it, fucking retards.

Sounds like the same people who lost their minds when changes were proposed to the tailoring set, yet the previous day they were crying about how they have no gear to look forward too and how nothing is an upgrade.

Here's the most comprehensive site for all the changes that I've seen, certainly revitalizes Karazhan and makes the things to come that much more exciting.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:22 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

My junk:

Blade of the Unrequited: 6.4 DPS, 3 STA, 4 ATK, 2 CRIT

Vindicator's Brand: 2.5 DPS, 1 HIT

Bladed Shoulderpads of the Merciless: 3 STA, 4 ATK, 3 CRIT, 3 HIT

Bracers of Maliciousness: 3 STA, 4 ATK, 3 CRIT

Girdle of Treachery: 4 STA, 3 AGI, 6 ATK,

Saberclaw Talisman: 3 STA, 2 AGI, 6 ATK

Edgewalker Longboots: 3 STA, 2 AGI, 6 ATK, 3 HIT

Netherblade Gloves: 4 STA, 8 ATK, 4 CRIT, 3 HIT

Total Gained: 23 Stamina, 7 agility, 38 attack, 12 crit rating, 10 hit rating

Not too shabby. I may have to dump the Aldor sword for the Emerald Ripper that is rotting in my bank. It's getting quite a buff.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:28 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

This just re inforces my theory that Northrend is coming.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:44 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Solanthious wrote:
This just re inforces my theory that Northrend is coming.

Northrend files are already in the latest patch.mpq

There are a few zone files, some unskinned monster models, and some unskinned weapons

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Moderator: Solanthious Go to page Previous  1, 2