It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Levelling time?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Curious to know what I should strive for in terms of levelling a non-twinked brand new warrior. Averaging about 1 level per 2-3 hours. Starting to think I should only selectively quest and grind more.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Leveling rates are a function of current level, like in any game. It takes longer as you increase in level.

It is always beneficial to quest in WoW. The amount of xp granted through questing is a huge portion of your xp gain rate. However, some quests require too much travel time to be worth the reward, depending on your class and its travel capabilities (i.e. for a mage, jumping around from Feralas to the Hinterlands is no big deal).

As a general rule, a good approach to working through a zone is to hit your alliance or horde town, grab all the quests you can and work through them as you move through the zone, stopping back periodically to sell and do quest turn ins (important due to the number of series quests in the game), then rinse and repeat until you've cleared your log for that zone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:48 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

EQ1: Trotto
WoW: Fisbo
There are some pretty comprehensive and helpful leveling guides for faction/class. May want to plug "WoW leveling guide" into google and see if some help you out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Levelling time?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

joxur wrote:
Curious to know what I should strive for in terms of levelling a non-twinked brand new warrior. Averaging about 1 level per 2-3 hours. Starting to think I should only selectively quest and grind more.

I think I was taking like 8 hours on average from 65 to 70. Kill quests are your best bet. Put it's pretty easy regardless of level as you gain more experience from higher level quests and kills. I just started leveling my warlock last night and hope to have to him at 70 in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:09 PM 

Got all those :) Just trying to find the most efficient method.

For instance, I spent an insane amount of time running between raven hill and darkshire in Duskwood.. do a quest, run for 5 minutes... run back, do another, rinse/repeat.

Finally I just spent an hour grinding xp on the low level xp mobs in raven hill because of proximity and it seemed to go faster.

Was just wondering what a good levelling rate for 30s,40s is considered to be.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:13 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

There's no reason to run back to complete the quests until you have like 5 or more done. Just stay out killing crap and questing until you log, then do the turn ins and log out in a inn for your rested xp.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:51 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Avoid instances unless you have an appropriate level group for them. Wait untill they are yellow/green if possible. Completing them while they con red does nothing for you except maybe get you the rewards earlier, and removes them from your questlog. Being powerleveled through them actually hurts you more than helps. You end up losing more exp than you would normally get otherwise. I'd almost suggest avoiding instancing alltogether unless you got some buds running through.

For the most part, all those leveling guides are shit. They tell you to go grind area X for so many hours here or there to buffer up to the next area. There are more than enough quests to get from 1 to 60 without any grinding whatsoever, excluding what bit of grinding you do for quests, or on the way to quest mobs.

Playing casually, 1 to 60 is about a 8 to 10 day venture. I've done it in as little as 4 personally, but only because I know every quest from 1 to 60 on both factions. Leveling is faster in my opinion Alliance side. Quests seem to be better laid out with less bullshit quests that send you to the other side of the world just to continue a chain.

Also, don't worry if quests go green. THey are still more than worth completing/turning in. In addition, for most classes, grinding out on green cons when you do have to grind, usually yeilds better exp over time than yellows or better.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:11 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Not sure if you are horde or alliance, but you can gain like 2/3 of a level if you get all of the Gnomer quests and have a friend run you through the place (as alliance).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:47 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
"spent an insane amount of time running between raven hill and darkshire in Duskwood.."

"no reason to run back to complete the quests until you have like 5 or more done"

In defense of the running back and forth thing in Darkshire. For those who have been there and done it, you aren;t really given a choice in the matter. IF you want to do most all of those quests, the chain available only gives you more to the quest when you do that running back and forth crap.

And there are precious enough few other quests in Darkshire that don't do the same thing. Most all lead you to town. then to one end or the other of the zone to kill, then back to town again before you can continue on. And most don't "group up" so you can snag and complete half a dozen at a time before turning in.

Much as I liked the ambiance of that place, I do remember the running sucking balls quite a bit. Not to mention getting sent all the way to Wetlands just to do one leg of a chain in Darkshire.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:50 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

darkshire to ravenhill and back again?

Know what I do? If my toon can afford it. Sweep thought as many at raven hill as I can. If I do not need to stop along the way for a turn in. like those spider keels to that dude at the tent half way back to darkshire.

I swim across the river and run to senthill. Much short and pay to griff it over to darkshire. Return griff to senthill and run/swim back to raven hill. :P A round trip is like 3sp. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Before they added a GY to Raven Hill, I used to just die and take the res. By the time I turned in quests, sold crap in bags and got back to RH, res sickness was gone. At that level the repair fee for a res death was pretty low, even relative to the lower income of that time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
I'd just run a semicircle across the zone, through the south half and up to the shoreline and ending at the NW corner where those guys' camp was. Turn in what they wanted, then hearth back to town to turn in the rest. It wasn't perfect, but it cut out a lot of running around.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 AM 

Well.. as Adam Sandler says in the Wedding Singer.. all of this would have been good to know YESTERDAY!

Already out of Darkshore. Was just venting on the damn running. Nice to know for the future, though :)

Never played an alliance so didn't know sent hill was there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 PM 
Spider Slayer

I got two levels per day in outlands, PvP server as well, which adds to leveling time. It takes about 6 hours per level, but for some reason 69-70 was insanely fast in Netherstorm. It was more like 4 hours.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

some of the leveling guides suck hard

but I will fully vouch for joana's.

I got to 60 first without it though.

but it took a long time like 11 days played.

but eventually I got bored of alliance

so I started a horde character with joana's guide

I turned into a ninja, flipped out and got level 60 in like 6 days 23 hours.

even if you know the quests, you can't avoid being redundant unless you carefully plan your path and the guide does that for you.

let's say I could take a highway south bound but to get there I go north about 3 miles before going south, I get there but it takes longer because I go farther.

I play maybe 10 hours a week max.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Jeka wrote:
I got two levels per day in outlands, PvP server as well, which adds to leveling time. It takes about 6 hours per level, but for some reason 69-70 was insanely fast in Netherstorm. It was more like 4 hours.

I agree, Netherstorm REALLY picks up the pace. Tons of gold, wonderful exp when you get there, close quarters and several quests on even the first island make it the best zone by far in my opinion.

I hit 49 on my BE warlock with about 6days /played (did 19 bracket, 29, 39 as well) then 49 bracket untill about 13days played and just hit 70 at 18days /played. 56-61 in a day then spent alot of time wondering around and exploring and more pvp. =x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:12 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

I agree, Netherstorm REALLY picks up the pace. Tons of gold, wonderful exp when you get there, close quarters and several quests on even the first island make it the best zone by far in my opinion.

I hit 49 on my BE warlock with about 6days /played (did 19 bracket, 29, 39 as well) then 49 bracket untill about 13days played and just hit 70 at 18days /played. 56-61 in a day then spent alot of time wondering around and exploring and more pvp. =x[/quote]

56-61 in a day?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Yes. 56-58 in Azeroth (WPL/EPL/Felwood/WS) then straight to the Dark Portal and did a ton of Hellfire Penn quests.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Level from 1 to 70 in exactly 1 month. Hit 70 without doing any quests in Shadowmoon Valley or Netherstorm (and still had like 3 Blades Edge Mountains Elite/Group quests).

A few people have asked me why would I avoid Netherstorm and Shadowmoon until 70. The simple answer is money. Where a quest may have given me 3 gold and some green reward at 69, that same quest will give me 11 gold and some green reward at 70. Most of the quests that I still haven't done are like that now. Plus, Shadowmoon is not a cakewalk by any means...and to make matters worse, some of the quests are either a pain or close to impossible without a Flying Mount.

Offline Profile