PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:58 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... =1&sid=1#0

[While it's only the fate of a BETA test realm right now, it may spread wider]

-----

What is a realm split?

The term realm split describes the process of taking an overpopulated realm and dividing the population between two new realms.

What will determine whether a realm will need to undergo a realm split?

As severe realm overpopulation can result in unacceptable queue times for players entering the game, the need for a realm split is determined by the extent to which a realm is overpopulated. In the event of excessive overpopulation, Blizzard will examine a number of factors and explore multiple options for mitigating that overpopulation. A realm split will be executed only if Blizzard feels that the procedure represents the best option for addressing population-related issues.

What are the benefits to a realm split?

When a realm reaches maximum player capacity, gameplay becomes adversely affected. By dividing a realm’s population between two realms, we’re able to create a more stable, more enjoyable environment for all affected characters, which in turn contributes to a much more satisfactory World of Warcraft experience for everyone.

Are any other measures being taken to avoid forcing a realm split?

Yes. One measure is to raise the player caps for all realms when The Burning Crusade launches. This will be possible in part because of the hardware upgrades that we’ve worked to put in place since the original launch. In addition, our programmers regularly review our realm code to identify better ways to maximize performance as a realm’s population increases. Furthermore, as we have in the past, we will initiate a free character move (to realms designated by Blizzard) before resorting to a realm split.

Will I be able to choose my new realm?

When a realm is chosen to undergo a split, an in-game message at the character-selection screen will prompt all affected players to choose between one of the two new realms being created. The player will be able to make this decision (or change his or her decision) up until the realm-split process has been completed. The realm that the player chooses will be the destination for all characters that the player plays on that realm.

What happens to my characters if I don’t choose?

If a realm is not chosen by the player, each character will be individually relocated to one of the two new realms based on a priority system. The system will first determine whether the character is in a guild and move the character based on the destination of the guild’s leader. If the character is not in a guild, the system will then check if the character is part of an arena team and move the character accordingly. If these conditions do not apply, Blizzard will make the decision for the character(s).

Is it possible to send my characters to different realms?

If a player does not provide us with his or her preference, and allows the priority system described above to individually process the
relocation of each character, then it is possible to have characters become divided between the two new realms. Manually selecting a realm during the selection period will ensure that all characters from a single account on the affected realm will relocate together.

Does providing my realm preference guarantee my destination?

We will do our best to accommodate everyone’s realm preference, but if manual realm selections result in one of the two new realms being overpopulated, we may need to move some of the population to a different realm.

What happens to my Friends and Ignore lists?

The characters on a player’s Friend and Ignore lists will remain, provided those characters moved to the same realm.

Will items in the mail or auction house become lost?

These items will be moved with each character.

During the time of a realm split, will the Paid Character Transfer service still be available?

Yes. Players will still have the option to transfer their characters using the Paid Character Transfer service.

Will the transfer of my character(s) from the realm being split count toward the transfer “cooldown,� affecting my ability to transfer elsewhere using the Paid Character Transfer service?

No. Characters moved through the realm-split process will not activate the transfer cooldown.

What if I don’t like the new realm? Am I stuck there?

All players will have the same opportunity that they normally would to transfer the characters they play on an affected realm to a new realm using the Paid Character Transfer service.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
this is like a cut and paste of the server split info from EQ1.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:48 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I'm trying to be upset by this, but I really can't be. I'm on one of the largest pop servers (Zul'Jin) but I only really interact with my guild. If the guild stays intact, I don't particularly care what the server name is.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:32 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
In WoW, the issue isn't the over population of the server itself...its the inbalance of Alliance players vs Horde players.

In EQ, splitting a server was relatively easy. You take a server of 5000, get 2500 people to move. In WoW, it much more difficult.

Here's an example (All numbers are from http://www.warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php, which only counts characters between the levels of 10-60 and off of active players...so the numbers are 100% accurate):

We (Oryx) play on Lightbringer (LB). LB is the 2nd Highest Populated US Server (29,648 players) counting both Alliance and Horde players. Of those 29,648 players...9,488 are level 60 (7,494 Alliance, 1,994 Horde).

There is no way to split a server with those kinds of numbers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I think it sucks ass. I sort of posted the same thing on my server forums, but it basically amounts to - the server will never really be the same. Sure, people will mostly probably just move with their guilds, great. That means different guilds will go to different servers. Some people will need to choose between friends. You will see some old school players you've played with off and on through the last couple years, and some you simply won't.

Maybe it's just me, but occasionally I will see one of these people and strike up a conversation, do an instance run, or PVP with them a bit. My good friends - well, I'll probably still be with them. But those really good acquaintances will be gone as far as in-game is concerned.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:51 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The older servers are double fucked. Especially the majority with population inballances. Why roll on an older world with 9k one faction, 2k the other which already has established cliques and groups with no chance of breaking in, when you see a giant shiny "NEW" on the server select screen.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:39 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

Cripes, I knew that we had a big imbalance between horde and alliance, I didnt realize it was quite THAT extreme though!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:00 AM 
Bridge Dweller

No one really knows how extreme they are. There are no official stats published by Blizzard, only non-standard methods of measurement so there is no real accurate count, or even ratio, for that matter.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:03 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I know I'm like the only one who's stupid this way, but I *like* the imbalance on Lightbringer. I enjoy being a part of the small group of horde. It feels a little more personal. Everyone knows everyone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:27 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:58 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Quote:
I know I'm like the only one who's stupid this way, but I *like* the imbalance on Lightbringer. I enjoy being a part of the small group of horde. It feels a little more personal. Everyone knows everyone.

This is why we're probably 3 weeks away from transfering off this shithole. Nobody is playing to raid, and all the good people are already claimed by other cliques leaving only part timers or complete fools to fill the slots of raids.

And since the expansion has forced everyone into 15/20 man cliques, it further dilutes your talent pool to recruit from.

And really, what Naxxramus guild wants to go all the way back and recruit people in Mooncloth robes to fill its ranks?

Lightbringer sucks shit.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Lightbringer Horde did win an AV I was in yesterday, that must count for something! First loss I think I have ever had in AV.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

Kael`Thas ended up in the same boat as it sounds Lightbringer is in.

Offline Profile