It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:56 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:44 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
My 60 mage is on Windrunner and I left before the splits, right after AQ was openned.

Can anyone give me a quick summary of whats happened in the time I've been gone?

Does mage still suck or can I actually PvP again after the mage changes?

Thanks guys.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:29 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I never really thought that mages sucked for PvP. But yeah, the talent changes have been really nice, so even if you did, you might think otherwise now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:55 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well what I call "sucked" is just lame hunter camp shit and my inability to withstand 2 hits vs warriors etc.

Survivability I suppose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:18 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

Well you have surviveability, what with more snares than you can shake a stick at, blink, that new talent that increases your run speed after being crit, and other assorted goodies. I dunno if you are aware, but evocation is now a trainable skill, not a talent. That makes downtime alot easier to take.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:14 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Well if, like me, you come back to your mage after a fair amount of time away, then your survivability is probably not going to be great. No matter what you do, damage from dps classes has far outpaced the hps of a year ago.

What I did was to go mostly frost. With Ice barrier up all the time and ice armor and blink you can fake it pretty well. I still don't pvp a lot on my mage(my rogue is still a lot more fun for me when I do play) but when I do, I do alright.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:04 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
"Well what I call "sucked" is just lame hunter camp shit and my inability to withstand 2 hits vs warriors etc. "

Don't bother to come back.

If you were having regular problems with getting hit by other classes outside PvP, to put it bluntly, you were playing like a tard.

If you were having issues with getting gacked in PvP, not only were you playing like a Tard, but you were bitching way too much, and shouldn't come back anyway.

In PvP if you are getting gacked, it's called PvP, and par for the course for that to happen. If you are angry about getting two shotted in melee combat, a place you should have been avoiding in the first place as a Mage, you shouldn't bother screwing around playing a Mage and whining so much about your "Survivability".

Step up into Melee as a Mage, and EXPECT to get mowed over like the little piece of grass before the lawnmower you are. Stay back and blow shit up until you get to be the center of EVERYONE's attention[and if you played the class at all, you know you will], then try and do something about it. And if running the fuck away with Blink or Frost nova'ing to get them off your ass isn't part of your "run the fuck away from melee" strategy, once again. You shouldn't be playing a fucking Mage.

Sorry if there is genuine offense to your mind here, but I get real tired of goobers complaining about getting gacked in just one or two shots when they are specifically playing a cloth wearing, low health, no armor, class to being with. When something wearing metaphorically 200 pounds of cold steel, and swinging a 6 foot blade gets in your face and ugly, if you want a chance to "survive", play something meant to live through it.

And like just about everyone else here. I speak from experience. I am not the most knowledgeable mage in sight, but I have my 6/8 T2 and all the nice little AQ40/NAxx experience most other people do, and plenty of PvP under my belt as well. So any whiney, bitchy, "You're a Noob" crap doesn't hold water.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:45 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I wouldn't say you come off as a newb, but more of a condescending asshole. heh

It's not like he went off on whining rant. He had a dislike when he played his mage before and asked if it was any different. I don't see much reason to be shitty to him for that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:12 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

It's gwiber. He only knows how to be shitty.

Personally, I love being a mage, but I don't do PvP, so I have no way to tell you if things are better or worse in that regard. I can tell you that with the 41 point specs, the game is different for everyone because the talent customization has changed.

Also, a while back our talents got revamped, and Evocation is trainable and Arcane Explosion became insta-cast, so you are no longer required to spend 15 points (or whatever it was) in Arcane, making very deep Fire and Frost builds viable, as well as Elemental builds.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:37 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Quote:
And like just about everyone else here. I speak from experience. I am not the most knowledgeable mage in sight, but I have my 6/8 T2 and all the nice little AQ40/NAxx experience most other people do, and plenty of PvP under my belt as well. So any whiney, bitchy, "You're a Noob" crap doesn't hold water.

You are a google eyed, cunt scrub and the last person on these forums that needs to be giving mage advice.

He's talking about his pvp experience. You remember those days? He was pvping when you were still leveling up about as fast as an asian grandmother drives and begging for spec advice here.

Your "tier 2, aq and nax experience" equates to jack shit, and 6 of 8 netherwind is nothing to brag about Captain Curbcheck. Again he's talking about pvping as a cloth from WAY back when it was commonplace for cloth to die in two hits from various classes.

He's asking if the ballance of power has been leveled out, and if the game isn't just a simple gear check anymore.

I'm sorry I ruined your chance to say "hey guys im in a guild that finally wipe in nax can I participate in chats with you now." Better it be me to tell you that you're still a twat, than to be embarassed by Myrtle or Elidrin when they read this thread and can offer some real mage advice.

We look forward to the next time you decide to show your face around here to be embarrased again.

EDIT

Oh and least we forget, this is the same dumb shit that leaves us great drops of wisdom such as these...

Quote:
Honestly, with the number of people in any one "city" zone. I really would hope they would come in and do away entirely with mounts, pets, and transformations of PC's of any kind while in cities.

It'd help with the lag rate considerably.

Quote:
Been there done that with my Mage.

Still don't give a rat's ass.

Mounts should not be used in towns, at all. Nor should pets or other "forms" that step up the frame rate.

Heard some whiney baby in UC today talking about it. Said if the Alliance raided, as a hunter he would be up a creek without his pet.

Barring of course how hard it is to raid some cities in the first place, it still would not matter. That hunter would be at as much disadvantage as the alliance hunter who crossed the threshold and lost his pet too. Right along with all the other people suddenly minus their speed from mounts and various shape-changed forms.

Mounts and Pets are not needed in city zones.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:05 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
This is the same Gwiber who used the phrase "to the layperson" in a discussion about the correct spelling of the Smashing Pumpkins album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," isn't it?

Yeah, douchewrangler.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:59 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

nananea-

you should be thinking of playing everquest again... like me :P

-cc

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:45 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

lol @ gwiber

Funny stuff man, funny stuff.

All I did was wait in queues when I hit 60, because I was in a pvp guild on a blue server. I know how to play the class, and how to play it well, without relying on gear. I always thought that the mage was a decently balanced class, but once I started seeing those high dps melees that charge me from forever away etc, it was just a bit annoying. Did I keep queueing up or did I start whining like every other WoW forum mage. Yeah, I kept on pvping.

The only reason I left were because of high queue times and raiding was getting boring because I was in this weird korean run guild that lacked any kind of real skill. I think they killed Nefarion like 3 days after I left (mid February).

I'm really just curious about all the new stuff that's come about since I left almost a year ago. I didn't want this to turn into an "oh you're a shitty noob mage hur hur". I'm not, and I wasn't. So why not help me out a little and give a quick summary of what's happened instead of trying to belittle me for talking about "mage survivability"

EDIT : BTW CC, I just quit EQ again because I didn't have the time for the high end anymore and that's about all that peaks my interest.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:10 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Water pet is teh mass coolness nana. I still say go frost.

Tho, rogues will still monkey you. I slay mages like me almost instantly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:11 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well I might. I can hardly imagine a build without PoM though :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:35 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

windrunner has like 120 bgs goin on in almost any bg at a time. plenty of pvp with seconds to que.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:28 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

That's good. I remember waiting hours during primetime to play a 5 min game of WSG or Arathi. VVV :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:53 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

yeah what im talking about is before hte pvp changes, i moved to lightbringer to join oryx there hehe and noticed that there were only like 7 bgs of each type going on before the pvp changes. I can only guess at this but, im sure there are ALOT more then what i said there was before due to the changes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:57 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
"This is the same Gwiber who used the phrase "to the layperson" in a discussion about the correct spelling of the Smashing Pumpkins album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," isn't it? "

I know my memory ain't THAT bad. but I really haven't clue what the fucking hell you are on about there.

Smashing who? [Yes, I know who they are, but I don't recall ever talking about them, or any music for that matter.] Obviously this would be a post I don't recall ever making. But if I did, please show me, neh?

You can call it what you want Givin. I still stand by my statements on mounts and stupid crap that isn't needed for any actual reason in Cities.

Other than the need to be just that little step ahead of the next idiot inside a territory city. There really is no reason for them. And you can't actually justify the need. Unless whining "I want it. wha!" is what you call justification.

As for when I leveled, *nods* Go ahead. Please, tell me when I hit 60 won't you? Enlighten all of us here just how much you actually really know about me? Either in game or out.

No speculation, no guesses. Please, tell us some "real" info about the person behind this post.

Lemme get a couple out of the way for you. since I blatantly posted them FOR you. :

I recently had an eye surgery, uh. A couple years back someone used my real name on the boards, because he was pissed about something he and I were arguing about IRL.

I think organized sports where you pay morons for playing a game for you to watch on TV is idiotic. Espeically since most of them are kids games in the first place, and if you really wanted to have fun, you shold do what I do, go play the game personally, instead of sitting on your fat ass watching someone else do it.

A big one. I don't give a rat's fuck most of the time about spell-checking.

And most of all. I really. REEEAAAALLLY enjoy tweaking the noses of self-righteous bastards on forum boards who are so self-important, they think their opinion means anything at all, and that they are some sort of god's gift to the rest of ther world. I kind get off (in a non-sexual way) on making people like you slobber at the mouth trying to respond to me. It gives me the giggles.

I'm sure there are a few other things you could cite, be happy to let you. But you basically know jack and shit about me and who I truly am.

It shows especially when you say things about the way I do or don't game, since you aren't on the same server I am. You probably aren't wise enough to have noticed the guild I am in, and you don't know fuck nothing about my behavior.

God, it really is so easy to say just a few words, and have you people slobbering like little kids crying over a toy you can't have. Little temper tantrums the lot of you.

Just because I spoke up, and called someone on being whiney about playing something a certain way, and getting thier little pee-pee spanked, and then being a crying bitch about it.

I honestly don't care whether the experience was past or present, if the complaint was "I wear a cloth armor, and get gangked a lot in PvP, so I quit", which it was in a nutshell. The the person posting it should not be a whiney fuck when someone come along and basically says "DUH!".

*yawns waits for mouth-breather insults from supposedly net-superior wanna-be's"

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Better be careful. You'll be back in surgery again only this time having a triple bypass or an anuresm.

You're so easy to troll. The constant barrage of "I don't care, really guys" posts is the cornerstone of hilarity. It's easy to see when you red line because you go into two sentence paragraph mode. All that shit you wrote about making people froth and writhe in anger? Thats what you feel every time someone corrects your public display of idiocy.

"I'm bleeding, making me the victor."

Know anything about you? Why would anybody here want to even bother? They know plenty already. You're just some stuck up, salad tossing pompous ass. Toss a dash of chickenshit in the pot, since you are a grand fan of waiting a week or more to respond to anybody when they call you out for being a schmuck. Nobody is going to forget how big of a fool you are here. Everytime you post here, it reeks like the retard kid who shit his pants on the school bus.

One thing you are right on about. No need to paid sports entertainment when its already possible to watch gloryhole sniffing faggots like yourself take the bait time after time and embarass themselves over and over in public forums.

Seriously, what do you want? You want someone to chronicle your lifes adventures here or do you want to throw down with me? I'll give you the edge on that one. Aim for the one in the middle.

Waiting for more of that awesome shit about how you don't care in real life. I'll even spare you the embarassment this time around by not telling you why everything you wrote about "cloth vs everyone else pvp a year ago" is one step behind being as retarted as saying mounts in cities are problematic.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:15 PM 
Noob
Noob

Givin, I <3 you.

And Nana, mages in pvp are amazing =) I play my priest, along with three mage friends (one of them is Reffy) and we pvp tons. People die so fast, it's not even funny... well, actually it is funny =p You could always come to Khaz Modan and pvp with us! My mage is still only level 39, but she's a lot of fun already. I can't one shot stuff yet like Ref can though... but Fire Blast crits own =) I think Reffy is 51 fire for pvp, but he has really good gear and doesn't need the survivability of frost I think.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:21 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Well I started back up yesterday, and specced 10/41/0. I didn't know if I'd like playing without PoM but it's bareable. (6 sec Pyro sucks though).

I pretty much mow down shit in about 5 sec. I ran the wife through Zul`Furrak on her 44 druid and we beat the Captain Bly event (she died on the first wave of trolls so it was just me until we attacked Bly, that was a bit difficult).

I was pretty impressed. I thought Blazing Speed would be gimmicky but it's actually useful. I also thought tying Dragon's Breath to CoC cooldown would suck, but I just replace CoC instead and it works fine.

The worst thing about coming back was my entire UI was broken and I had to redo all that shit. I didn't know what half the shit was for in my bags anymore either. Only took a few hours but I'd say I'm back in the saddle again.

Thanks for the help everyone except gwiber!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:28 AM 
Noob
Noob

Basically since AQ has opened, Mages have gotten a talent revamp. Arcane has gotten at least viable since then. Fire has gotten some pretty big PvE and damage buffs while Frost has yet again gotten more survivability since then. The three minute mage is still active, and probably more so then before.

I'd say the best build for PvE is a heavy Fire build. PvP You can try a mixture of a few things. I currently have 51 points in Fire and it seems pretty nice. I want Dragon's Breath and that leaves me with 10 points to put elsewhere. Putting 10 points in either Frost or Arcane seems silly for PvP.

The survivability for a mage is still a bit slim. However you can DPS people down faster which makes it easier. The thing about PvP is that it's designed around Group PvP. If you sit in the back and cast nukes, that is the best way to avoid dying. However if you jump in the middle of battle and pbaoe, you will probably die.

Dragon's Breath gives me another escape when I get in the PB range. I hate that it is a cone like effect, but you can't have everything. The cone range is small and sometimes when you lag or even the people you are trying to hit are lagging. It's a pain in the ass. Sometimes I'd rather put my points elsewhere, but it's still really nice when it works, and it does most of the time. Especially when fighting Shaman, you can use it even when a grounding totem is down since it's an AE effect. It's basically a spell interrupt. It gives me an edge against them. In that aspect, it's really handy as Shaman are really tough as a Mage.

The fact is, we don't have healing. Our survivability is really nice when we have healing backup in use with our spells. However when we are solo, we have the same problem as Warriors, but not as bad. Warriors solo, suck (there are exceptions of course as there always are), but if you have a Priest or Paladin with them, they really are awesome.

It's all about your play style. You probably haven't played in a while so your respec probably isn't that bad. I believe every month you haven't played now, your respec goes down a level. However don't quote me on that. If you want a bit more survivability, I would probably go frost especially if you play on solo queueing a lot. However if you plan on Group PvPing a lot I would go deep Fire or at least Elementalist. I still would rather have a deep fire build over Elementalist(thinking 30/21) as in my opinion I put 20 points to waste since I mainly use Fire. Doing a Shatter build in the Frost tree to get up to Ice Block isn't that bad though either, however sometimes it requires to go into pb range.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:36 AM 
Noob
Noob

0/51/0

That is currently my spec purely for PvP. For PvE I'd change it up a bit. I would throw 10 points in Arcane for Arcane Concentration as it's pretty handy. I really just wish we could still stack our own ignites, then I would be happy. They gave us a taste of it with the rolling ignites and they take it away. It was a bit powerful as it was, but I'd still like it =P.

*Edit* Fixed Link

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Yep I agree with pretty much everything you said :P

Here is what I went with yesterday.

10/41/0

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:55 AM 

This is what I was looking at for my mage for pve.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mage/talents.html?2300050000000000000000055520001200333005310000030000000000000000000

I liked the idea of trying to minimize any resist problems and I also wanted clearcasting. Im all about conserving mana, I try to only have to drink maybe once or twice in between evocations so every little bit of mana regen, fewer resists, and free spells counts.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:46 PM 
Noob
Noob

I've never really been a big fan of Improved Fire Blast. If I were you I'd throw them in either Pyromaniac or Empowered Fireball. I'm not sure what kind of + Damage you are at, but Empowered Fireball is pretty handy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Having that extra 1.5 secs is a big deal to me, I spam that spell like hell (though I used to be in the same boat as you).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:35 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Stuck this spec on the mage recently. The surviveability of an ice mage can't be denied, and he's really mana efficient.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 3013221251

He is strictly PvE farming right now though, earning gold, gear, and mats for the Warlock and Rogue I'm leveling up. But he's fun. He can solo some rather interesting things, and can churn and burn through alot of content.

Thinking about taking him PvP though, so might have to go fire. Almost interested in doing PVP with the ice rig though, just to see how it compares to a fire build later on.

Last edited by TheDukeOfNuke on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:16 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
They should of made our new pet not a talent! replace the dumb Doomguard or Infernal quest. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:59 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Why would you go Frost for farming and consider Fire for PVP? Wouldn't most Mages think this was bass ackwards way of thinking? I know I would (and do).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:56 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Well, since the talent respec, alot of mages actually seem to like fire for PVP. Sounds odd to me, since back in the beginning frost was the pvp spec, but the new talents, apparently, along with all the armor that is out bringing > +400 spell damage makes fire a rapefest of damage. Seems alot of mages are trading out right damage for survivability. Not sure I totally agree, but I can see where the new flame specs can make them just god awful evil.

Like I said, I use frost for farming, and it works super effectively. I was a fire mage, and loved it, but I wouldn't do anything but frost now for soloing, I've gotten so spoiled with how much I can pretty much control a fight now, and avoid taking damage all together. A few mods to frost would make AoE farming a breeze, (basically getting rid of Frostbite and one other spec, and going Permafrost and imp bliz).

Like I said, that is just what I heard, and I planned on taking the ice spec out for some pvp first, and then changing if it didn't do the wonders I hoped for.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:28 AM 
Noob
Noob

Frost is probably the best way to farm lots of mobs at once. The AoE method is pretty nice. I see many people on my server level up two mages at once, together, deep frost spec'd. They just kill trash.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:23 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

CakvalaSC wrote:
They should of made our new pet not a talent! replace the dumb Doomguard or Infernal quest. :(

Yes.

Offline Profile