It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:27 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliance or Horde?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 PM 

I need some opinions from Alliance players and/or people who have played both sides for a good amount of time.<
>
<
>
Since this game came out, I have played Horde PvP. However, I don't really have time to keep up with my guild's raiding style now. So, a friend and I want to start on Chromaggus, one of the
and new PvP servers. I just want to know what you all think of Alliance. Are the quests fun? Is it true that Alliance is typically a younger/immature crowd? And for those of you who have played on both sides, how much is play dynamics changed by having Paladins on your side instead of Shaman?<
>
<
>
One last question to for those who this pertains. Out of the 3 caster classes, which do you find the most fun to play: Mage, Priest, or Warlock? (I'd start a Hunter, but it appears its the new flavor of the month)<
>
<
>
Thanks for your input!<
>
<
>
I want to say I'd like to play Alliance, but I feel it will have a much more generic MMO feel to it... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Alliance or Horde?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:16 PM 

Alliance sez, "OMG HORDE FULL OF BRATS AND NET KIDDIES!"<
>
Horde sez, "OMG ALLIANCE FULL OF BRATS AND NET KIDDIES!"<
>
<
>
They're both right. Both sides are full of imbeciles and idiots.<
>
<
>
As for 'flavor', eh. Night Elf initial quests and lands are significantly different in flavor from Dwarf/Gnome quests, which are different from Human. Sure, the swords & sorcery bit is a bit heavy in Human quests, just as treehugging is in the Night Elf, and tinkering/lore is in the gnome/dwarf quests. <
>
<
>
I've played both sides and have enjoyed it. Tauren Great Mother quests entertained me the most, second to the Undead evil plotting, then the Orc/Troll genericisms.<
>
<
>
Do Alliance have an easier time? No, not really. Their 'premiere' class is vastly different enough from the horde 'premiere' class to alter gameplay, sure, but to paraphrase someone whose post I can't find:<
>
<
>
Alliance is about soaking damage, Horde is about delivering it.<
>
<
>
All in all? I'd say it's an even trade. Syuni D'zpecyzczn<
>
a thousand lives across 65 levels<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:40 AM 

One of the best jokes I heard regarding questing back when I played went something like:<
>
<
>
Alliance:<
>
<
>
"Hi! Take this item across the street there and collect your 5000xp reward"<
>
<
>
Horde:<
>
<
>
"Hi! Go exterminate all living creatures surrounding the Crossroads then
ing samples to my friends in Orgrimmar, Thunderbluff, the Undercity, and the tallest, remotest peak in Stranglethorn Vale for 50xp! Be sure to use this carcass collecting kit (5 charges) on every kill. Come back if you need more kits (25sp each)."<
>
<
>
Prophet of Vita Infinita - Retired<
>
Yaegore, Elemental Shaman - Blackhand<
>
Murkweave, Dark Defender - Infinity<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:00 AM 

Leveling alliance is easier, leveling horde is still very easy. End game PvP horde have the advantage in the pure power or racial talents. Remove fear with short immunity, resist stun, and a castable stun are better than the stealth, escape root, remove/immune poison and stealth detection. Shaman are more difficult to deal with than paly's atm also. Next patch is going to make the gnome and dwarf specials signifigantly better though, and the paly rework may change that balance also.<
>
<
>
As with most things, play the one you like, the balance of power will likely shift back and forth between patches. That always seems to be the way. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:24 AM 

Alliance newbie areas are PACKED with quests, thats all ive got to say. It is insane how many quests you can get in the goldshire area alone for example. Ive actually leveled PAST the zone and still had quests to do because there were just so many I leveled up doing only them. Meanwhile, my orc/troll characters find themselves grinding from 8-10 because the only quest ive got left are those damn harpies and until I hit 9 I cant handle them, so I get about a half level doing that at 9 then just farm boars and raptors until I ding 10 and can head for the barrens. I suppose I could do the senjin quests but damn I hate swimming. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
Human Mob Compactor of the 52nd Cycle<
>
And Almost Too Sexy To Live!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:37 AM 

They're both easy. Alliance may be a bit easier to level, but if you are coming from EQ, WOW is going to seem *EXTREMELY* easy levelwise, anyways. One thing I noticed though is I liked leveling as an alliance just for the visual apeal. The cities are alot better looking in my opinion, and as a horde you will learn two things. The Barrens is very large, and Barrens General chat is.... very bad.<
>
<
>
<
>
Oh, and Alliance get VanCleef. That could be a decision maker for most people! <i>Edited by: RoGuE iN dEsPaIr at: 12/6/05 9:40 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:38 PM 

Thanks for all the input, it seems as though leveling an Alliance character will be much more enjoyable than the lvl 10-27 grind in the barrens. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:45 PM 

after getting up to the mid 50's on horde plus several alts in the 20-30 range and 60 on alliance, at the end of the day I prefer horde. Yeah, there are lot of alliance quests at the early levels. Some of those areas seem a tad more polished. But after avout 30, horde is much better, just in terms of flight paths. Flight paths for alliance kinda suck overall and zeps > all. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:51 PM 

Deadmines > Wailing Caverns<
>
Stockades < Shadowfang Keep<
>
Gnomeregan > Razorfen Kraul<
>
Scarlet Monestary > Razorfen Downs<
>
<
>
After that, most of the instances become generally open to Horde & Alliance. Clearly, Alliance has the advantage in cooler entry-level instances. The overall Alliance quests are also more fleshed out and plentiful than the Horde. As you said in the Barrens example, Horde gameplay tends to be "pick an area and grind for 20 levels", whereas Alliance gameplay tends to be "pick an area, grind for 6 levels, move to new area, repeat".<
>
<
>
But I have limited Horde experience, I'm just speculating from what I have seen and heard.<
>
<
>
Pallys vs. Shamans...well, that's a whole different ballgame that is still being played. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:20 PM 

Alliance and Horde both have quests in Razorfen Downs and Scarlet Monastery. Vanamar<
>
Undead Warlock of Kargath<
>
Member of Flames of Retribution<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:37 PM 

I started playing Horde, and got a Tauren warrior to 53 before we switched servers and decided to play Alliance, and I now have a 60 dwarf warrior. My guild does MC raids and ZG clears, and I PvP alot. But still my hate for the Alliance lingers... and I still maintain that "Horde is where the heart is." For me, anyway.<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
mmmoooOOOoooo <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:41 PM 

Quote:I started playing Horde, and got a Tauren warrior to 53 before we switched servers and decided to play Alliance, and I now have a 60 dwarf warrior. My guild does MC raids and ZG clears, and I PvP alot. But still my hate for the Alliance lingers... and I still maintain that "Horde is where the heart is." For me, anyway.<
>
<
>
Ya I have a feeling this is what is going to happen to me. It seems Horde has more character because of the large variety in town and character appearance. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:16 PM 

I like the Horde becuase it is more removed from the everyday world. I don't really like to play evil races, but I only play Tauren and they aren't evil so it's all good. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:55 AM 

Quote:I like the Horde becuase it is more removed from the everyday world. I don't really like to play evil races, but I only play Tauren and they aren't evil so it's all good. <
>
<
>
Too bad the only race that can actually even be considered potentially evil is the forsaken. Orcs and trolls are an honorable group for the most part now that the demon bloodhaze is gone. The alliance side isnt exactly populated by a heavenly choir of angels themselves. Thats what I like about this game, you DONT have a good versus evil thing. Heck, even the majority of the forsaken quests involve protecting themselves. Only a few actually hit the sinister side. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
Human Mob Compactor of the 52nd Cycle<
>
And Almost Too Sexy To Live!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:10 AM 

Quote:Heck, even the majority of the forsaken quests involve protecting themselves. Only a few actually hit the sinister side.<
>
<
>
....<
>
<
>
Lessee.<
>
<
>
Stealing pumpkins, poisoning them and giving them to the humans. Collecting human skulls for a bored guard in Tarren Mill. Experimenting on live subjects for the Royal Apothecary society?<
>
<
>
Not evil my ass. Vanamar<
>
>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:50 AM 

Quote:Scarlet Monastery > Razorfen Downs<
>
<
>
Gotta disagree with this one, RFD was MUCH more fun and rewarding imo. The only thing SM had going for it in my eyes was the kill every boss quest, I liked both warriory type weapon rewards.<
>
<
>
But no plate? Shitty boss drops until Herod and Mograine? Gay and more gay imo. Whereas RFD has like the best pre-Truesilver BP in the game, possibly as good if you like the stats more then the chance to self-heal. A great plate helm too. Tons o weapons. Lots of caster items, and almost everything higher quality then SM with the sole exception of Mograine and Whitemane, who I think SLIGHTLY edge out ze lich in quality of drops. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:52 AM 

Quality of drops does not excuse the fact that RFD is a snorefest.<
>
<
>
SM, done properly, can teach you how to run a real instance, with crowd control and lockdowns.<
>
<
>
And the loot from Doan, Herod and Mograine/Whitemane is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention the fact that the Mograine/Whitemane encounter is one of the single funnest encounters I've ever experienced. Vanamar<
>
>