It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battlegrounds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:57 PM 

What do you all think of it?<
>
<
>
So far I'm absolutely loving CTF, especcially when I can actually get in with all guildies. The small scale pvp really makes a cohesive strategy shine. <
>
<
>
Alterac on the other hand needs a lot of work. I really appreciate how much care went into making it with all the quests and coding for graveyard/tower captures, however, the queue system really messes it up. My guild made a 40 man raid and waited 2 hours, still didn't get in (even with a known alliance guild doing the same thing on the other end). Pick up groups in Alterac are hopeless. So until they fix the queue system for guilds, that place is meaningless.<
>
<
>
<
>
And on a side note, I saw this poking around<
>
Foror+Tigule = Furor + Tigole? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Battlegrounds
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:51 AM 

Haven't been able to play yet, but reading the boards I get to see all the whiney fucks on alliance not understanding that the only leet skillz they had was numerical superiority and now they're getting assraped by very angry horde. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:00 AM 

In one run in Warsong Gulch, my team of 10 alliance members went 3/2 against 10 horde. We lost, but I netted 15 hks and close to 700 honor points, so I'm happy.<
>
<
>
I like the idea of forcing people to spawn at the graveyard rather than running for their corpse. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>
300 Skill Dragonscale Leatherworker<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:14 AM 

Quote:Haven't been able to play yet, but reading the boards I get to see all the whiney fucks on alliance not understanding that the only leet skillz they had was numerical superiority and now they're getting assraped by very angry horde.<
>
<
>
Quoted for the truth. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:17 AM 

I did a arun of Alterac last night<
>
<
>
481 kills<
>
3500 contrib<
>
<
>
Played in it for about 2 hours and it was a stalemate. I have no idea what happened when I logged off. My guild had about a 20 man force there and we did various things such as capturing and defending graveyards to capturing and defending mines for quests and such. On a more interesting note, we killed the Alliance's Giant Tree twice. The horde side never spawned our elemental but people were saying our NPC was
oken or bugged or something<
>
<
>
All in all it was a total blast and the reason I started playing WoW in the first place - to battle other players. It is really refreshing to see PVP combat not being outnumbered 3 to 1 for once <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:18 AM 

<
>
<
>
We also had problems getting into Alterac as a group-- waited a long, long time.<
>
<
>
We got around it, though, by registering as individuals and reinviting to our raid as we got in-- everyone in our group got in pretty quickly that way, actually.<
>
<
>
As for the BG itself, it was great! In fact, so far I really liked Alterac much better than Warsong. The possibilites for really interesting combat with organized groups are nearly endless-- we weren't even that organized, and it was still fun. <
>
<
>
It was the first time in a long while that I played WoW for hours on end without noticing the time going by.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:52 AM 

Quote:Haven't been able to play yet, but reading the boards I get to see all the whiney fucks on alliance not understanding that the only leet skillz they had was numerical superiority and now they're getting assraped by very angry horde.<
>
<
>
Yes indeed, I'm loving it <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:05 PM 

Quote:And on a side note, I saw this poking around<
>
Foror+Tigule = Furor + Tigole? <
>
<
>
Yes (Tigole works for Blizzard)<
>
<
>
edit: by the way, they also have ice cream you can buy <i>Edited by: Neesha the Necro  at: 6/8/05 4:07 pm<
></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:14 PM 

Well, I havent played yet and I already hate it. I cant even join a game in progress without waiting a half an hour. @#%$ that, I dont log on to sit around for an hour twiddling my thumbs. Id rather level up my alts. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
Human Mob Compactor of the 52nd Cycle<
>
And Almost Too Sexy To Live!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:22 PM 

You can do other stuff instead of just sit there and wait, it'll summon you when its time <
>
<
>
Well, except for playing alts...<
>
But you could farm for cash for your alts while you wait
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:39 PM 

Quote:I dont log on to sit around for an hour twiddling my thumbs. <
>
<
>
Then don't. You can go do whatever you want.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:00 AM 

Did two more Warsong Gulch runs last night.<
>
<
>
First run lasted 45 minutes, lots of stalemates with the flags (their flag carrier had ours, we had theirs, and both sides surrounded the flag carriers) -- lost 3/2 eventually.<
>
<
>
Second run we won 3/0 against the Horde, with lots of HK's on both sides. Got 3100+ honor on the two runs with around 70hk's between them. Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:29 AM 

I thought one of the cool aspects of Battlegrounds was the idea of Guild vs. Guild combat. You know, you get the elite Alliance Guild on the server to battle the elite Horde Guild in a massive "battleground". With the way the thing is set up, that doesn't seem possible. Are they supposed to be adding a feature where you can put an entire Guild in a queue (or do they already have that feature)? <
>
<
>
edit: Thinking about this, they really should do the Guild thing. It could be like Top Gun:<
>
<
>
"Oh, sh1t, it's Viper."<
>
"He's probably saying 'oh, $hit, it's Maverick and Goose'."<
>
<
>
I can imagine a bunch of n00bs entering into the Battlefields when they spot one Conquest player after another laying waste to the playing field. Perhaps I am just delirious (I'm starving this morning) but for some reason the image of a bunch of n00bs running around screaming "ahhhh sh1t it's CONQUEST!!!! RUN!!!!" has me smiling.<
>
<i>Edited by: Neesha the Necro  at: 6/9/05 8:37 am<
></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:31 AM 

You are sure? I can say, go to kargath and farm and when my spot is ready i wont have to fly back to get in? Well that seems ok then. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 AM 

You are sure? I can say, go to kargath and farm and when my spot is ready i wont have to fly back to get in? Well that seems ok then. Its still stupid how long the wait is though, there were guys from scenites there waiting, one who said his wait was up to 56 minutes instead of the estimated 26. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:40 AM 

Yeah, I was in IF last night when I got the "you are now eligible to enter blah blah blah"<
>
<
>
And if you go in with a raid group pre-formed, you can select "join as group" which will probably increase your wait time significantly until they add more instance servers (or the population disparity goes away) Prophion<
>
Dwarf Hunter of Kargath<
>
<Old Board With a Nail><
>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:42 AM 

Yes, I am sure. I went and farmed in Burning Steppes and got my invite into the BG while I was there.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:16 AM 

I did Alterac Valley last night. I got in the queue, farmed cash while I waited. It was a blast. I love love loved it, it was worth the wait for me. Au
e<
>
Hunter - Elune<
>
Mithril Web<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:22 AM 

I don't have to wait at all on my server. It is usually between 1 and 5 minutes for our group of 10 to join as a group <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:01 AM 

Last night was nuts. I actually got into the battleground instantly. Im wondering if last time was a bug because I joined the raid group already inside before I entered. It might have put me on a list to join the bg with a 30 man crew lol. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:48 AM 

It said 45minute wait time, but was actually maybe 2-5 minutes or so. We were grouped up in WP doing quests and didn't even get a chance to start the quest when we got the prompt to hit the BG.<
>
<
>
Alterac was totally unorganized, but I had a blast. We did burn one alliance tower and I racked up over 450 HKs and 2200 points in just a few hours.<
>
<
>
This reminds me of that Unreal Tournament capture the flag event, very cool. <
>
Hunter Miramicha Aeternitas - EverQuest Lanys T'vyl -Retired<
>
<
>
Miramicha<
>
Undead Mage Blackhand<
>
Night Elf Hunter Alleria<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:52 AM 

I got a chance to try out the CTF for the first time last night. It was pretty fun, but very hectic.<
>
<
>
I'm not one to whine about class balance, but I can see where some of these complaints are coming from. One match I played against had 7 shaman on a team of 10. It was just a torrent of frost shocks and earthbind totems, with one of them getting the flag, switching to ghost wolf form and getting away scott free. It was
utal. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:23 PM 

I wouldn't call a class out of balance when you're facing 7 of them out of 10 opponents. <
>
<
>
A lot of any one class working together is going to seem overpowered. Consider during zerg pvp, I ( a mage) and 4 other mages teamed up. They assisted me and we all fireballed at once followed up immediately with the instant fire nuke (sorry, the name eludes me presently). Pretty much, whatever we aimed at was dead, instantly.<
>
<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:16 PM 

Quote:instant fire nuke<
>
<
>
<
>
Fire Blast<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
Cycle! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:26 PM 

I just played ctf, MAN thats fun! Its EXACTLY the sort of pvp I like, fast, furious, and over before it gets boring! Forget the 7 hour seige battles, give me a couple fast and furious ctf games and get out of my way! lol I got about 22 honor kills over the course of one of the games, and I made probably close to a thousand cp without the bonus. Im guessing there but I noticed a few 200+ point estimated kill values in the mix there. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:55 PM 

I never understood why people thought shaman were hard to kill. I REALLY got a laugh when warriors and mages bitched about dying to them 1 on 1. <
>
This flag stands for freedom, and I live for what it stands for.<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:22 AM 

In front of Org on my server they like to duel. Shamans normaly own erveryone pretty quick. I like the BGS where hte alliance have a alot of Palys, makes for lots of quick HKs for my side.<
>
<
>
<
>
60 Troll Rogue--Windrunner <
>
<i></i>

Post subject: Got milk?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:40 PM 

shaman totems and frost shock are pretty powerful in capture the flag. <
>
<
>
Btw i play both sides horde and alliance on difference servers and i can honestly say horde has advantage with equal numbers undead racial wotf and shamans own paladins and any alliance racial ability. <
>
<
>
I believe warsong is showing just how powerful shamans and wotf really are.<
>
<
>
Biggest example i have is shamans with tremor totem and undead using wotf they have efectively took away two classes defenses/offensive abilities namely the warlocks fear and seduce while priests fear.<
>
<
>
a full team of undead+ shamans would be near impossible for equal skilled alliance . <
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Got milk?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:11 PM 

The thing I hate are the people who pull stalemate tactics in ctf. I just had to quit out of a game as we entered minute 30 of the standoff. We had their flag, they had ours. Neither side was going to drop it off. We were trying to get our flag back. I was the only guard on our flag holder, the other 8 guys were attacking. The alliance side did NOTHING but defend. They didnt even have a couple guys out looking for their flag. Those lame asses just sat there and kept their flag holder alive no matter what we tried. All they did was force us to get bored and quit. What kind of idiot finds a stalemate fun? Why would you want to force the other side to leave? Noone gets bonus cp or the faction award then. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:27 PM 

The other night i did a warsong gulch. The alliance had 3 priests stand in thier flag room and AE feared with 5 others there killing hte people who were feared once we went up 2-0. They sent out only 2 people now and then to try for the flag. Pretty much all they did was stand there and collect CP.<
>
<
>
If you cant win the match just stand there and collect CP like fag ass bitches is the alliance policy on my server.<
>
<
>
<
>
60 Troll Rogue-Windrunner <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:26 PM 

I've been playing ctf with my 58 rogue. I find alliance does the "8-man defense tactic" quite often.<
>
<
>
However, this strategy has been known to foil it many times:<
>
<
>
attacking force enters room. 2 men hold off (usually stealthers). Once engaged, 1 man runs in, grabs the flag and runs down the tunnel. Now the alliance give chase. Our last man moves into the flag room. Now if the first man makes it, good game, however he will usually die and as soon as the flag is returned, our last man grabs it and runs like hell through the other exit. <
>
<
>
8-man defense is so bullshit. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:20 PM 

We did a 7 man defense. Seemed legitimate to me at least. They usually got the flag, but 99% of the time we got it back before they got very far. (It helped we had 2 shaman and a hunter there for snares and grounding/tremor totems. ) Had 3 stealthy types waiting for the right time to grab their flag. The amount of people they attacked us with varied from attack to attack. A few times they actually got as far as their own base ent before we managed to finish them off and return the flag. lol Then it was a mad scramble to get back before they could recover and snag the now undefended flag. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:56 AM 

You
os are complaining about strats that have been out long before Tribes made CTF fun. Its not being "pussy" to stalemate you, its to goade you into getting pissed off and doing someting dumb so they can take the upper hand.<
>
<
>
However, I can see this as being ultra cheese and I know I personally dont want to sit around waiting for 30 mins while people play hackey sack with the flag. A carry timer would be the ideal solution to this, say a 5 or 10 min timer that one side can hold the flag, and if time expires it goes home..<
>
<
>
A bigger issue I see is with shapeshifting abilities. Or even shields. No form of travel should be allowed while you are carrying. No form of shielding either. CTF should be fast paced and exciting, not watching for that one class that has the advantage as carriers. <
>
This flag stands for freedom, and I live for what it stands for.<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:19 AM 

Ill be honest with you, I dont see anything wrong with travel forms. For starters, you cant use them until you are outside the fort. Thats plenty of time to get nailed by the defense before you can get a run speed boost, and its not too likely that the other side doesnt have that as well, so no advantage there. On the other hand, rogue sprint? That can get nuts. I have to make sure from now on that whenever im playing ctf, to grab that speed boost down the main tunnel. With that a rogue is next to uncatchable after he hits sprint. Unless you can root him before he gets out of range, you arent going to catch that rogue. Only cat form druids using dash and cheetah aspect hunters can run faster than normal while inside, and neither can keep up with a 60 rogue sprinting. By the time the defenders get outside and go travel form or mount up, the rogue has such a head start that he is literally at his teams fort entrance before you can catch back up to him. Its not as bad if they dont get that run buff on their way out but its still wild how far away they can get before you can catch up. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:40 PM 

In CTF, my most commonly used ability is Wing Clip. Anyone can catch a sprinting rogue who's been Wing Clipped. I sure as hell don't use Aspect of the Cheetah, though; it causes you to get dazed with every hit, so any moron with a ranged attack can hold you down forever.<
>
<
>
Tranthas Stormwalker<
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:39 PM 

Quote:The other night i did a warsong gulch. The alliance had 3 priests stand in thier flag room and AE feared with 5 others there killing hte people who were feared once we went up 2-0. They sent out only 2 people now and then to try for the flag. Pretty much all they did was stand there and collect CP.<
>
<
>
And this is somehow different than getting setup against like 5+ shaman? Please lol...It's funny how you can tell who is what faction simply by posting style a lot of the time. Horde are some bitter motherfucking posters.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:07 PM 

Spend 6 months being outnumbered 3 to 1 and see how motherfucking chipper you are.<
>
<
>
And that's only the tip of the iceberg. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:11 PM 

Someone with a 60 rogue do this. Start at the speed buff in the horde tunnel. Grab it and start running at epic mount speed. Once it drops, hit your sprint ability. Im fairly sure that by the time sprint fades you are at least at the alliance fort ent. You are at the flag room before the horde can even hope to be caught up. You get a MASSIVE head start at an insane speed. By the time the defenders get out of the tunnel and are able to mount up, you are halfway across the zone and now you are sprinting. Even assuming the defenders have epic mounts and can outrun your sprint, they will only make up a little ground at a time. If a rogue can get that run speed buff before you can snare him, you just lost the flag. Its tough to catch ANYONE who grabs that buff, but at least its still possible. That rogue sprint makes it almost pointless to chase after him once he gets out of spell range. I dont want it nerfed though, its easy enough to stop, just periodically clear out the run speed buff so the attackers cant get at it. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:08 PM 

The side that wins BG is hte one with the most priests in it.<
>
<
>
Priests (shadow omg) > ALL in BG. <
>
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:10 AM 

Quote:You get a MASSIVE head start at an insane speed<
>
<
>
That head start means nothing if you have an intercepter. People on Offense do this frequently. I'm a rogue and I'm stealthed, I see flag carrier coming for their fort, as soon as they get in range I stun em, grab a couple combo points, and stun em again. By the time they're out of it they usually have a crippling poison on them and my team has caught up.<
>
<
>
Defense just needs to let the team know "Enemy flag carrier outside of fort" to give us a heads up. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:54 PM 

Thats a good idea. I should keep that in mind. Another strategy I rather liked happened today. One of the flag grabbers got outside the fort before we managed to kill him. He reached about halfway across the zone before he died and we returned the flag. IMMEADIATELY the flag was grabbed by the alliance again. Apparently they had snuck in another person to wait just in case and all the defenders were outside finishing off the guy who currently had it. We then had to guess which direction he would come out because we had no idea where he was heading with the flag. After the second time they did that though, I caught on and waited in the flag room and nailed the single warrior who came in to try it again. Still a really nice strategy, all it takes is for the defenders to guess wrong or split up and becom weaker to cover all the exits to win that way. Traab "Love Machine" Fellhammer<
>
>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:47 PM 

I just got out of one on Light
inger that was the 31-40 crowd. We abused them so bad. The highest HK count they had was 5-6 people with 30. We had 6 people over 100 and a seventh at 99. Needless to say, I play on the Horde side. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:06 AM 

WG is pretty fun, though I've had shit luck with teammates, I have yet to win after about six matches (ugh). Most of the time we're outnumbered, too. Then again, my hours are all fucked up since I'm in Europe, I'm sure it'll be better when I'm home.<
>
<
>
I tried playing an AV, but it's way too laggy on this laptop. Seems pretty cool though. All in all, I like BG, though I don't think flag carriers should be able to use any speed enhancing abilities, shrug. if all is true, won't you please run over me?<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:39 AM 

It's not too bad with enhanced speed, once outside the base everyone can mount. The stopwatch is nice to have but folks are really attached to speed potions.<
>
<
>
My last two rounds I waited out front of the horde post, crippling alliance on their way in and nabbing the flag carrier on his way out.<
>
<
>
One complaint is the sweet spot for holding the flag while yours is retrieved. If folks do not know where it is, recovery can be quite difficult.<
>
<
>
But eventually folks will catch on, like they did about the roof. In zoom out view you can play Benny Hill around the raised area; keeping just out of reach of the folks chasing you. <
>
<
>
Sarissa Candyangel <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:41 AM 

Gnomes can hide in the walls with the flag where you can't target them, and any alliance can get behind their tower up in the zone walls.. gg Alliance exploits. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:39 AM 

Don't forget that Alliance can have a priest Mind Control the flag carrier, then have a paladin bubble the flag carrier causing the flag carrier to drop the flag. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:44 PM 

On Laughing Skull we couldn't participate in the first week of BGs because our instances weren't spawning any games.<
>
<
>
Currently I've been in a lot of pickup groups that have stomped Alliance teams that are on ventrillo. I guess I've gotten lucky to play with people who know their class and how to cap and when to cap. It's been a lot of fun and a lot more productive then just running between TM and SS. <i></i>