It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charm Suggestion?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:58 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I quit WoW because the game has been so dumbed down. 3 months into ICC, well over 1,000 guilds are at least 6/12 on heroic mode. WoW as a whole is ridiculously easy. It's like the training wheels of MMOs. Just because 2% of the game may be challenging, doesn't mean the game as a whole is.

Were you one of those guilds, or are you just sitting there wiping on Putricide and saying, "God this game is so ridiculously easy."

I don't say that to be a jerk, although I know it sounds that way. It just boggles me when people who haven't even cleared normal mode raid content go on about everything being so easy.

Also, Icecrown Citadel is going on 4 months, not 3. December 8, 2009 was the release date. So you're saying that in nearly 4 months, 1 raid group has cleared ICC 25-heroic and maybe about 1,000 have cleared lower citadel? Out of how many? Heh. That's not exactly compelling evidence toward "ridiculously easy"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

Quote:
Were you one of those guilds, or are you just sitting there wiping on Putricide and saying, "God this game is so ridiculously easy."

No, I quit when Blizzard decided to nerf Ulduar a week after it went live even though it didn't need to be.

Quote:
Also, Icecrown Citadel is going on 4 months, not 3. December 8, 2009 was the release date. So you're saying that in nearly 4 months, 1 raid group has cleared ICC 25-heroic and maybe about 1,000 have cleared lower citadel? Out of how many? Heh. That's not exactly compelling evidence toward "ridiculously easy"

Yes, 1 raid group has killed all of the hardmodes. But a fuckton have done most of them. It may be almost 4 months in, but it didn't take a majority of the guilds that long to beat 80%+ of the last raid of this xpac. One hard boss on gimmick mode does not a hard game make. I'm not bashing you for liking WoWlite, but the absurdity of you trying to argue that the game isn't ridiculously easy compared to other MMOs and even it's former self is silly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:59 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Yes, 1 raid group has killed all of the hardmodes. But a fuckton have done most of them

The statistic you gave was "~1,000 groups are 6/12."

6/12 means they cleared Lower Spire and Festergut/Rotface, at most. They might have actually skipped Deathwhisper heroic and done Princes instead to get the 6th.

So basically, after ~4 months, 0.005% of the population has beaten some of the less demanding encounters in heroic. 0.00005% have cleared the whole thing. (Assuming 5 million subscribers, which might be low, might be high, oh well.)

Apparently you find this to be a compelling argument for it being, in your words, "ridiculously easy".

Maybe it's ego that makes people do that. I don't know. People insist on pulling this, "Well, I didn't actually clear anything, but I quit because it's just sooo easy." card.

I wonder if people do that in other fields.

"Yeah, I dropped out of medical school. I failed my mid-term exam, but come on...like 0.00005% of people have passed before, so I just think it's too easy for me."

"Yeah, I stopped playing golf. I mean, I never even qualified for any tournaments or anything, but that Tiger Woods guy is really good, so I think it's just too easy for me."

Note that I'm not comparing WoW to golf or being a doctor...just illustrating how silly it sounds when a person calls something "too easy" based on watching other people, but also apparently has not/cannot/has failed to do it themselves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
viewforum.php?f=23

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:24 PM 

Quote:
So basically, after ~4 months, 0.005% of the population has beaten some of the less demanding encounters in heroic. 0.00005% have cleared the whole thing. (Assuming 5 million subscribers, which might be low, might be high, oh well.)

Because everyone that plays WoW is in a raiding guild right?!?! The game is easy. Just because you think it's challenging still, doesn't mean I will. There is a reason the game went from almost 11.5 million subs less than a year ago, to less than half of that now.
Quote:
just illustrating how silly it sounds when a person calls something "too easy" based on watching other people

I played the game. I quit because it was too easy. It had nothing to do with what other people said or did. Naxx was laughable, but I decided to stick it out till Ulduar to see if it presented more of a challenge. My guild killed Ignis and XT (and beyond) the first week, along with many other guilds. They were both nerfed into the ground the following week because they were too difficult apparently. This is when I lost hope in the game. One week into the instance, random pug couldn't down a boss so they nerfed the shit out of the fight? Enjoy your Care Bear game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
What Bov is failing to realize is that the game may have been easy for some of us, but that didn't mean we were in guilds with people capable of beating even the easy stuff, thus we may not have cleared every single raid mob the game had to offer. I know Vita was still full of 'casuals' who didn't know how to NOT stand in fire, so we were slower to kill some content than we should have been. But I can assure you, for some of us (Magg, Crowde, myself), the only real challenge was getting people to not be idiots.

The content itself was not the challenge. It was, at one time, but that quickly passed when the game was changed. There are strats to beat every mob before those mobs are even released to the public, so let's not pretend there's something more to the game. Hard modes are nothing more than glorified gear checks. We all know that if we had a guild made up of the Solas, the Givins, etc. (hell, virtually everyone from Lanys), we'd be one of the cutting edge guilds. I'm sure Sola will tell you that Oryx's only real problem was with the people, not the content, and that was a year ago (and then some).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
There is a reason the game went from almost 11.5 million subs less than a year ago, to less than half of that now

It was the china debacle that messed with the sub numbers, not your complaints. Sorry sir.

Quote:
The content itself was not the challenge. It was, at one time, but that quickly passed when the game was changed. There are strats to beat every mob before those mobs are even released to the public, so let's not pretend there's something more to the game. Hard modes are nothing more than glorified gear checks. We all know that if we had a guild made up of the Solas, the Givins, etc. (hell, virtually everyone from Lanys), we'd be one of the cutting edge guilds. I'm sure Sola will tell you that Oryx's only real problem was with the people, not the content, and that was a year ago (and then some).

See, this is what's funny to me. The ego factor, the "I haven't done it because other people are holding me back." the "This is easy for me, everyone else sucks." talk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:12 PM 

Quote:
It was the china debacle that messed with the sub numbers, not your complaints. Sorry sir.

You're right, no one has quit the game due to has watered down it is. In fact, I just imagined 3 of the top 5 guilds from the server I played on vanishing. This only didn't happen on the server I played on btw. You can keep trying to tell me how challenging of a game WoW is, but I promise you, all it will do is give me a chuckle because you're pretty much saying "I can't maintain a 3 button dps rotation and stay out of fire".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:02 PM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
There is a reason the game went from almost 11.5 million subs less than a year ago, to less than half of that now

Quote:

See, this is what's funny to me. The ego factor, the "I haven't done it because other people are holding me back." the "This is easy for me, everyone else sucks." talk.

blah blah why not take this shit to the wow section of the forums where somebody may give a shit about how hard to find wow to be. It seems to need some mouth breathing to wake it up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Quote:

That wasn't what I found irritating about WoW, it was the fact that in 1-2 months, Blizzard will dumb down the encounters or put in some other way to get comparable gear that IS easy. It wasn't that the end game raids weren't fun or somewhat challenging at times, it was the fact that Joe Casual can get the same shit with less effort than getting 40 retards to work together.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Like I said, the difference between a player in Lich King and 277 gear versus someone who pugs Lower Spire and maybe a couple other bosses is HUGE

Quote:
The reality is that the difference between normal modes and hard modes has created a much larger gap between mediocre raid groups and really good raid groups. The gap is so big, in fact, that the mediocre raiders have all but lost sight of the hard modes altogether and are honestly thinking that normal modes are the "top end".

Well, the difference is significant if the person is in full 277 gear, instead of just a bunch of 264 pieces and a piece or two here and there of 277. I think you're sorta stuck on the term "top end", though. Yes, obviously that would be 277, but I think people(or, at least speaking for myself in terms of what I was saying earlier in this thread) are moreso upset about the balance between mediocre/high and low-end casuals. As it is, a relatively small percentage of the WoW raiding population has even gone past 25 Putricide, and yet those that have cleared through Lich King have relatively little to show in comparison to someone who hasn't even set foot in 25 ICC.

A person in a smattering of 264(from badges, VOA, etc) and 251 gear has a relatively small disadvantage against someone in full 264, per the example above with guilds that have cleared the place(or come close to). Yes, point for point, the person in 25-man gear will always outshine the 251 guy if skill levels are equal, but I think most people are concerned with how small that gap is. Compare it to most MMORPGs, especially EverQuest, and you have a pretty miniscule difference and I'd hardly call it "huge" with them in mind.

In addition, I think the point a few of us were making earlier in the thread was that you have little to show for what you do when you do it. Get a 258 item from the tribute chest? Grats, it'll be gone in a month(IIRC I replaced one of my character's cloaks with the 264 one which you can just toss a few badges at to get). The fact of the matter is that your stuff is replaced a couple months after you get it(with a possible exception now since we're just chilling for Cataclysm to come out for the next iteration of ilevel), and it leaves you with little sense of achievement. If they could make things last just a little longer so that you actually feel like you did something worthwhile in the game, but not so mudflated as EverQuest, I think it would go a long way to alleviating those concerns.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:21 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that your stuff is replaced a couple months after you get it(with a possible exception now since we're just chilling for Cataclysm to come out for the next iteration of ilevel), and it leaves you with little sense of achievement. If they could make things last just a little longer so that you actually feel like you did something worthwhile in the game, but not so mudflated as EverQuest, I think it would go a long way to alleviating those concerns.

This I'll agree with, content moves SO fast in WoW it seems. Today's, "Wow, this is awesome." item is tomorrows void crystal. =/

Offline Profile