It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:29 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Quote:
In addition, in conjunction with the upcoming EQ 10th Anniversary celebration, SOE is expecting to add a new EQ server in March 2009 and players will be able to vote on a new server type. To provide your input on the type of server you'd like, visit EQplayers.com in January.

Link in a min, accidentally closed the tab.

Commentary? I think this is a pretty bold move. Initial reaction will be the typical "OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT NEW SERVER" excitement, and quickly die off. I would be lying to you however if I told you I didn't feel a little something stir deep down, so I can not really shit all over the idea.

You can never go back, ever. But this would be a great ant farm experience, to watch from the outside.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Me and my 10 million station dollars will rule the server.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 AM 

Quote:
Me and my 10 million station dollars will rule the server.

Poop on you and your 10 million station dollars! LOL

Anyway, I can't help but think they know the outcome. I have a feeling they have already set up a Classic/Trilogy or 3 month-lock progression server. I don't think I have any time to spare from WAR but, we'll see in March. That's a loooong time a way in this business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:45 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
That discord server they ran for a while back then was pretty hardcore, anyone else partake?

lvl 6+ FFA PVP if you die (NPC death or PC death), you go back to lvl 1 (skills too) with full loot rules on your victims. I remember seeing people in their 40's!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:08 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I'm pleased to say that I have absolutely zero interest in starting on a new server.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:37 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I am pleased to say I am enjoying the heck out of my 360. I think I might have finally found something that has pulled me away from Everquest.

Then again, considering the previous 20+ times I have said that I came back... I am probably just shooting myself in the foot :)

But I will say that outside of poker, I never found anything game-wise that matched (or came close) to Everquest. I played Civ 4, some old school XBOX games... and I always came back. But this time seems... different. This is the only message board I go to that is EQ-related, and obviously this is no longer an EQ only message board. I haven't even had any sort of desire to want to log in- all that has gone towards games on the 360.

Damn that UNO :)

(But seriously I am playing Dead Space, and that is pretty darn cool. And I am getting Bioshock for Christmas, I just bought Oblivion GOTY for 30 dollars... so I have enough game goodness for a long long time).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
New Server ... neato?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:52 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Feel free to come to my house and break all my fingers if I ever want to go back to EverQuest again. Ever. E V E R.

EVER.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:17 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Back right when I finally gave in and quit WAR I tried the free EQ trial and made it 2 minutes before I deleted :(

New server though....some sick sort of twisted part of me would actually consider trying it out if it was a normal server....I'm not a big fan of the whole progression locked type server...just a fresh start for everyone would kinda be cool. No transfers for 2 years of any kind.

Plenty of challenge for the hardcore people that wanted to relive the race to the top days (doing content under leveled, under AA'd etc) would be a great challenge for the "hardcore" folk while all the mid level stuff would still be open for middle guilds etc. And EQ leveling while not too too long, having raid gear from the 60's + would probably really increase leveling speed unless they made some real changes since I left back in..(whatever expansion was with demi plains). I loved that EQ always made me feel like a big upgrade really made a signigant impact (wow you get the best 25 man drop in the game and its like...yank yank, i understand their reasoning behind this and don't argue from a macro level but me personally....give me the OP baby!!).

I played so many wiz's and clerics in my life...might even be worthwhile to just dick around and play a different class or at least 2 box a different class heh.

Guess i'll see when the new WoW content is coming out and what EQ rule set is.

What is the actual last "normal" EQ server that was launched?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:25 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Oh lordy. Just say no, dude. Time to realize that Pooh isn't real, Christopher Robin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:53 PM 

Maelin Starphyre I think it was? That or the 3 char limit FV roleplay server where everything can be sold in bazaar.

Popular want seems to be calling for a classic server. I would be interested in a progression unlock, but only on a personal unlock level where the character has to unlock content, as opposed to one group unlocking everything for everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Just for shits I had all the EQ accounts tied to my email sent to me tonight....now I need to go DL EQ to at least see what is still left etc heh. I saw 4 accounts and at least remember my wizard that was one of the best in the game about 4 xpacs ago :(

Think I will at least dick around and level up a new char for an hour or 2 a day just to see if I want to get back into it come march....

The progression thing would be cool only if it was tied to something (guild vs personal would be tough call since you would constantly have to re-flag people essentially if it was only linked to personal unless they got creative)

Definitely would be interesting....first few months leveling up/aa'ing up and doing content that I miss from olden days and then a chance to see the new content afterwards without feeling like a noob on a older server where everyone is 2000 AA's etc. Lets hope they make a wise server choice, this could turn it around for EQ OMG!

(if it does work out, think i will go wiz and 2box cleric. Bro would probably go 2box shaman + _____ (probably tank....can DK's tank about anything other then hard raid mobs?) Would be pretty self sufficient and very easy to duo our 2 boxes if we had to.

And Pooh will always be alive in our imagiation god damnit!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 AM 

You can use mercs as healers now, apparently they heal/buff/res like pros and won't roll on your jade maces or complain about "donals" every 5 mins. If I made anything on progression, i'd probably roll wizard or enchanter.

For leveling up everyone says grab a melee merc untill like 55ish. The higher rank one apparently eats red cons for breakfast about 20ish so you just steamroll shit.

Avatar of War has been 2 manned, one of those mans being a Berserker who apparently can buff up to get 14 attacks per round sometimes.......fucking christ, I just saw a 131 dam 30 delay 2 hander.

Oh and that free trial is horseshit. You don't get access to anything at all worth mentioning like how they finally fixed the fucking camera to not suck balls and work like a normal camera from say, world of warcraft.

DDO also added in Mercs haha.

EDIT: By the beard of Zeus....

Flashstriker's Great Mace
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO TRADE
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 2H Blunt Atk Delay: 35
DMG: 152 Dmg Bonus: 46 AC: 108
Corruption DMG: 4
STR: +50 DEX: +25 STA: +35 CHA: +20 WIS: +75 INT: +55 AGI: +85 HP: +1740 MANA: +1675 ENDUR: +1675
SV FIRE: +60 SV DISEASE: +85 SV COLD: +125 SV MAGIC: +45 SV POISON: +110
Combat Effects: +12 Shielding: +5% Spell Shield: +3% Avoidance: +3 Accuracy: +25 Stun Resist: +5% Strikethrough: +6% DoT Shielding: +5% Attack: +60 HP Regen: +2 Mana Regeneration: +5 Damage Shield: +7
Required level of 85.
Effect: Fiery Strike VI (Combat, Casting Time: Instant)
WT: 3.3 Size: LARGE
Class: WAR PAL RNG SHD MNK BST BER
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 8 (General: Raid)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:53 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I used to use a merc healer with my magician when I played. They do a pretty decent job actually. I was able to focus on DD spells and not have to play cleric to the pet, which helps mobs die faster of course. There are different stances that you can put the merc in (passive, aggressive, balanced, etc) depending on the situation. One thing I hated about the mercs, though, is that they would heal you once you took a hit at any time- I use a mod rod, get down to 97 health... bam! Merc heals me! Almost like the steadfast servant in that regards. While it is nice that the merc is healing, it is also using up mana... so the one downside is that after about five minutes of fighting you have to take a minute to let the merc regen mana.

And mercs do die. They have crap for hp/ac at least at the higher levels. I would solo in Kurn's Tower (85 version, not the 10 version) and my merc would die in 2-3 rounds if I did not position it away from the mob. One time several of us got a melee merc to fight in a 77-80 zone on some basic mobs... melee merc went down somewhat quickly to a two pull. My pet, on the other hand, held up against both mobs. Not bragging about pet, but rather illustrating the poorness of the melee merc at higher levels.

And yeah, some of the gear nowadays is ridiculous. I solo'ed a mob that gave me like a 600 mana belt before I left. I mean seriously... 600 mana on a lvl 82 magician solo? And I don't have the gear/AA that a lot of magicians have nowadays. Insane.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Do merc's take a portion of exp and/or contribute towards group exp bonus?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:53 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

They changed Kurn's Tower to a high leveled place? That's lame that was one of my favorite places to level as an iksar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

There are two Kurn's Tower- the old school one that is still located in Field of Bone, and a new Old Kurn's Tower that is located in Field of Scale (new expansion). Basically from what I remember, the new expansion took old some old school zones and redid them for the 80-85 crowd. Progression stuff, unlock new zones/tiers, etc. Was kinda neat to be honest. In Field of Scale all the Dragons gathered and were going to war against the Iksars. So you had Talendor, Trakanon, Phara Dar, etc etc all lining up wyverns behind them in battle formation... and on the other side of the zone you had all the Iksars lined up in battle formations. Or was it Sebilite Iksars, I don't remember. Anyways looked cool as heck. Always hoped one time they would actually war and you would choose sides, but they were just non-aggro NPC's (at least the dragons were).

I know Kithicor Forest got redone... Blackburrow got redone (again)... Kurn's Tower... I think Crushbone too. Don't quote me, it has been a month or two since I last played.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:46 PM 

Mercs count as a player slot in a group. They take up a share of exp, and I don't know what group exp bonus is other than a myth in every mmorpg I have ever played.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:47 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Cucullin McFury
As you get more Void levels done your Mercs get better. The level 2 merc warrior can handle Kurns pretty easy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:19 PM 

Mercs are fun. You have to have the cash tho to really get the full benifit out of them, aka the Journeyman 1 rank at the lower levels. The tanks plow the road and they have insane survivability. Expensive over time however.

I will probably use the tank merc as free DPS later after AA'ing up a warrior. If I can keep agro off the whore. She's a beast.

It's fun to fuck around. The game is old, and it shows it. My greatest wish is that some fat rich arab would stop wasting money on shitty WoW sponsorships and buy this bitch up and re release it with all the modern bells and whistles. I'm not going to waste time discussing how it will never be again. We all know it and it isn't worth talking about. But while I wait for Blizzard to come back off Christmas break, this was fun.

If the progression server is in fact, time locked progression. I'm going to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:58 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Me, Hhug, Fin, & Uum started today on stromm just to get the feet wet to see if/what we wanted to play come server release.

Definitely feels dated in some areas but others its almost refreshing. Merc's make it retardedly fast leveling with the 25% bonus going on as well. We did 1-46 today and also we had one of my old 2box 70 wizzies and fin's 71 pali so we took out vindicator to end the night (wiz, pali, hug - 46 war, and 3 merc's). Was fun actually, and hhug got his vindi BP!

Jumped down to seb for abit as well....it is sad that the melee merc's do so much insane damage compared to hhug's warrior.

We shall see I guess, still having a hard time on the mana regen shit without any KEI or crap. Hopefully we will find some raid mobs 50-60 up as we level abit so we can have some fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:34 AM 

I wish I could get my chars back to 7th/Lanys. I would like to finish my bard and ranger out. I moved them to Stromm I think when free transfers were offered with the merger.

Making money is now alien to me. I can not farm the obvious hot drops such as Avatar of War or the dragons for their drops. I am farming mobs for cash and gems. It seems to get the job done. At best I can pull 2k an hour. hard to compete with people using MacroQuest 2 or ghostkill or whatever shit they use now. Almost makes me want to get it for myself. Don't even know where to look for that shit. Anybody know some decent spots nowadays?

I'm farming Seb right now for gems. It's very fun. My beastlord tears through shit. I usually farm those Pirates in Gun'drak Harbor I think it is. Lots of good selling stuff to vendors.

First thing I had to do was trash the default UI. It is bad.

Gearing up alts or new rolls is a snap now. The random drops of that Defiant armor is amazing. The lower level stuff sells decent, because nobody farms that content. I find myself banking it in case I want to make an alt.

I will play this while I wait for more raid content to be added to WoW. Probably will end up sticking with it alongside raiding in WoW because there is like 6 years of shit to look at. It is great to go back, but only if you aren't looking to relive past glory which a lot of people mistakingly do when they try this shit again. That and have people to play with. Squink and I are destroying face together with our merc team.

We really have no clue where to begin. Omens and Gates were the next expansions after we quit, but I've heard enough horror stories come out that shit to know better. Spells are also a pita. Either the old rune shit, or research them. That sounds painful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:54 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Probably best to start in the latest expansion, or the one previous. In fact, the one previous is probably best because you can get all the new droppable higher end gear to help gear you up for the latest expansion. Of course it really depends what level you are at the moment, as the prior expansion is basically for 65 minimum in Dragonscale Hills. But you can start your faction work there, get stuff done there until you can go into new expansion. Then just spend the rest of your time there.

I would, of course, work on AA at an easy spot to help you in the new expansion(s). When standard mobs hit for like 7k in some zones, you really could use the extra AA. Find your local hot spot or old school zone where you can just plow through mobs and AA that way. I honestly would recommend Dragonscale Hills (and other zones in that expansion) you would want to be 70/300 minimum. Next tier zones 75/700, and that should get you going in the basic tier zones of new expansion. I would not think about higher end SoF or second tier SoD zones until 80/1200 at minimum...

I still get an itch because I always wanted a high end ranger. Always loved that class, never really got a chance to play it because I was too involved with magician and monk. But whenever I get that itch I just load up the 360 and relax and play and the itch goes away :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:49 AM 

EQ1: Ekilam
WoW: Xinge
Rift: Xinge
EQ2: Xinge
whats this merc thing? anyone can provide a link to read up on it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 PM 
Bridge Dweller

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Mercenaries
http://random-battle.com/2008/08/16/eve ... rcenaries/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:07 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

its like a pet you can suspend, but it takes a group slot and has its own AI. My chanter (during the month i tried eq again) duo'd very easily with the warrior merc. They have a specific plat upkeep every 15mins (who needs plat anymore though). Different classes of mercs, you start with typical War or Cleric, eventually you get better and smarter ones that just do the job more efficient.

so, 3 players = full group.

I have not raided with this system in place, I don't know how it affects the end game, but If you can pop the merc while in raid I would be amazed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:19 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Mercs are not allowed in any zone that is categorized as a "raid" zone. Which means that any zone with the 5 minute OOC regen wait you cannot use a merc in. Anguish, Plane of Fear/Hate, Dreadspire Keep, etc etc.

A zone like Riftseekers which has raid mobs but is a standard XP zone... you can use a merc on the "raid" mobs as well as (naturally) standard mobs.

As you progress in the new expansion and open up new areas, your merc becomes stronger- more HP/AC, smarter AI, better spells, etc etc. While you still want a player in majority of cases, they are good enough to do what you want them to do for the most part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 PM 

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Making money is now alien to me. I can not farm the obvious hot drops such as Avatar of War or the dragons for their drops. I am farming mobs for cash and gems. It seems to get the job done. At best I can pull 2k an hour. hard to compete with people using MacroQuest 2 or ghostkill or whatever shit they use now. Almost makes me want to get it for myself.

I did that when Sleeper/Combine came out. It was an awesome way to close out a great game. Being able to solo your old school bosses and getting all the nice sort of end game gear with out having to put up with guild drama and insane raid play times was nice. I used the ghostkill as well as a eq mapping game which showed all the way down to which way monsters were facing. Keep to yourself and do not brag or go afk in a high populated area (ie PoK) or go and kill a raid boss an hour before most guilds raid time will ensure that you don't get banned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Out of curiousity... why could you not go AFK in a highly populated area like PoK?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:13 AM 

cicely wrote:
Out of curiousity... why could you not go AFK in a highly populated area like PoK?

Having a raid/epic geared character not guilded kinda raises some suspicion, especially when Sleeper server was first starting out. Other players are always inspecting you and want to know everything about everything especially what you have on and how you got it. Everyone knew the first 3-4 biggest raid guilds and what bosses they were killing. Now if you’re in PoK and you have full elemental suit on and we’ve just unlocked the planes and no guilds are even into plane of time then there is a problem. That is why I say use it wisely if you’re going to go that route. Also, having your lvl 20 alt pimped out in a vindi bp and some other high end non-level required junk will raise suspicion too.

From a close close knit circle of friends, those actions are a ‘no-no’ and result in instant bans and roll backs. I never had a problem, I kept to myself and never flaunted what I did and respected the top guilds calendars as far as raid bosses and what not. I was just trying to add advise to the previous poster if he indeed was going to fire up some MacroQuest or Ghostkill action.

Some people sell items, flags, keys, AA’s ( you can get about 30-50 an hour with GK) and leveling services by using these programs. I did two years ago to get back at 7 (I started playing eq apr 99) years of bad eq experiences and bugs and felt good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:39 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ is dated I had fun when I played most of last year, right now life to busy to play anything but I will go back to EQ some point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 PM 
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!
Uh, I mean EZboard Sux!

yeah I'm going to start playing again with Tnie/Uumdaien if we can get more old timers lets do it, givin if you play with us I can get gotty probably.. or anyone else that remembers me leave a message... Stabrex/Enash/Zanathis~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
I might be interested if more details got figured out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:38 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I'm amazed you're all on the same server

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 PM 

I'm just doing my own thing, if I ever decide to do anything im going to seek out an established raiding guild.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Amazing that EQ is still going after so long.

I still think about going back now and then. =O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 PM 
Arts Guru
Arts Guru

EQ1: Sariy & Aeki
WoW: Aeki
They patched today and had a poll before you could log in. what type of server would you like. PVP, PVE, RP, Progression or A LVL 51 and 50 aa's

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

My 80 bard now has 14k hp unbuffed which is not bad at all for a week or so of game play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:22 AM 

The poll is getting seriously raped by the critics. The poll looks like a fail on EQ's part. Either they couldn't do it right or they didn't care to do it right. I believe the Progression server will win and after a couple of months it will turn to dust. I am disappointed there was no announcement of time-lock or PvP progression on the poll.

For an odd reason I thought due to the Anniversery it may have been a Classic server. It doesn't matter though... WAR is great, Dashel killed me last night but Destro made their first, well organized, push to the Order Captiol and I see some good things ahead for us on Skull Throne.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:40 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
I think I'd go back to UO before going back to EQ. I tried EQ again last summer and just couldn't do it hehe....

Shame eqII failed so badly. That game was really fun till like.. level 40.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

What I'd love to see is someone take the entire 2d map of UO and turn it 3d(completely 3d, not 2.5d crap), straight up. Keep all of the gameplay features, everything, maybe add on to it a bit(throw in some better loot and dungeons for example). I would literally explode in a fit of nostalgia. The game would still be a fucking blast, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The gameplay elements and freeform play is still very nice in UO regardless, but it's just so dated =(

Oh, and maybe throw out a couple of the crappy expansions to keep it from killing our nostalgia too much. Just bring the original to full 3d life. I'd probably spend the first 20 hours doing nothing but taking the sites in. That's how nostalgic I am about the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Well they did do that Kingdom Reborn thing recently, using some newer game engine, so it looks kinda like diablo. Problem was when I tried it it still ran like absolute shit.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:38 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Just so nice to hear people talk about how they're "Doing Seb" or "Got a Vindi BP".

Content in WoW just doesn't have that endurance, nostalgia, etc. They just scrap everything that's come before and toss it in the trash.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 PM 

Actually all that content is equally as worthless as its WoW counterpart. Nobody kills Vindi for the breastplate to gear up alts when you can buy better for 1000 plat.

Doing seb is the same as doing UBRS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:15 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

exactly what givin said, I was able to gear cakvala up via bazaar for almost nothing in plat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:13 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

The only reason you get a vindi BP on an alt, is if your alt is level 1 and cant wear some level restricted shit.

And even then it may not be worth the trouble since you'll upgrade by level 40 at the latest.

edit: So what did the masses ended up voting on? I thought for sure it would be a classic server.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:25 AM 

EQ made some use of old content in the past. Zone exp bonuses and such, along with remodeled old zones. You'll never see re-done zones in WoW, aside from stuff like Strath which is basically a full-fledged new zone that takes over a year of development time it seems. AA's in general allowed people to go into old zones and... while not get a shitload of gain, certainly allowed for SOME AA exp gain. I think I went back to Sebilis around the time of PoP or maybe a bit before and I noticed a decent amount of gain from it - maybe half of what you would expect from a normal non-grind zone(Plane of Justice or Plane of Nightmare exp, for example).

One thing I can say good about EQ is that after 4+ years of its original release, I'd wager that with all the expansions at that point it had maybe twice as much landmass that WoW has currently. Not all of it was good, and there were many relatively barren locations, but at least players had more to explore and mess around with.

It's just tiresome when the chef spends so much time decorating my meal, adding onions and parsley, making sure it has just the right amount of seasoning.. that it ends up being 1 AM and the restaurant has long since closed. At some point you just want something to go into your stomach.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I can't believe your seriously try to argue that point again.

Everquest zones contained nothing more than a few new NPC models and different colour vegetation. No character or personality, and no lore or quests to speak of, nothing to draw a person there beyond the fact that it's a slight change in scenery. What exactly are people 'messing' around with?

And perhaps it was after my time, but what zones did they remodel?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

There were quest lines of all kinds in every zone. One of my favorite things about Everquest (and that apparently isn't ever going to happen again in MMOs) was that you had to *find* the quests, and you had to figure them out, instead of the giant question marks and exclamation points over NPC heads. I loved finding some weird item, or talking to some NPC, getting some obscure reference, going onto Allakazams and finding out it hasn't been solved yet. The sense of discovery, even if it sometimes led to annoying playtimes (what NPC is it? omg have to check every NPC in the zone and then guess the right phrase) is something I miss, and that Everquest had in spades.

As for the remodeling of zones-- they've changed a lot of old zones, if you haven't played in a few years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

How funny. That was one of things that drove me crazy about EQ. The quest system is one of my favorite things about WoW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
There were quest lines of all kinds in every zone. One of my favorite things about Everquest (and that apparently isn't ever going to happen again in MMOs) was that you had to *find* the quests, and you had to figure them out, instead of the giant question marks and exclamation points over NPC heads.

Oog, I hated that lol....Having to rephrase a sentence 400 times to get the npc to pick up the keyword, having someone come by and screw him up so he ate the item when you turned it in..etc. I think I'd agree with you if they'd had some sort of UI for the quests back then rather than just a text system.

The early parts of the druid epic you had to find this halfling and give her food or something, except that she was sprinting all over the place and she'd only stop for a second at best between you hailing her, talking to her and attempting to give her the item. In that second lost you gave her the food but she was already back in sprint mode and you'd lose the item..

I still remember Almoron coming on Larreth's leafblower raid for the final fight and being the dildo that he was, running over and killing what he thought was a random npc and was instead the questgiver who had like a 3 day respawn. Took almost a month to get the folks together for that fight again.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

/kill Hasten

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 AM 

That was me, and I assassinated it with an intimidate trying to fear it off so I could gate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Everquest zones contained nothing more than a few new NPC models and different colour vegetation. No character or personality, and no lore or quests to speak of, nothing to draw a person there beyond the fact that it's a slight change in scenery. What exactly are people 'messing' around with?

Ok now, c'mon. That's just a blatant misrepresentation, EQ had some of the most interesting looking zones and creatures that I can remember.

Yes, sometimes it became blatantly obvious that someone had used a texture painter on large swaths of land and called it a day but it was also a 10 year old game. (And you can still see that in newer games too, c'mon.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Just for the sake of discussion, give me a top three list of interesting zones in EQ; perhaps my memory is simply jaded.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Hmm, I always liked zones like Feerrott and Innothule. A lot of Kunark zones were also really well-done. What were they, Emerald Jungle and some other nearby zone, can't remember the name. I liked how EQ did jungles. ;) The sound effects had a lot to do with that too.

Some zones didn't LOOK pretty but that was kinda the point. Zones like Field of Bone were that way.

And Ak'anon was awesome, who didn't love that place! Well, except for the noise.

Some Luclin zones did a great job of looking just "alien" and different enough without being totally goofy and corny. I can't remember their names though.

And that's not even getting into dungeons. Who didn't love slimy old Guk?

I don't really know anything about anything past PoP though. I'm sure things got better.

EDIT: Something else that made a big difference is that EQ was clearly made with an immersive, first-person view in mind. WoW was built with a more open, visible third-person viewpoint. Just think of the dark, cramped, slimy passages of Guk. You don't really find anything like that in WoW.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:35 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I always liked Oasis. It had n00b mobs and a few Sand Giants to spice things up. It had Lockjaw and, of course, Spectres to Docks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:42 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Training was one of the best parts of EQ. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:55 PM 

Good examples of some interesting zones. I too liked Akanon =D I really enjoyed Droga because of the zone design. It really had a feel of going into a mining shaft, and then there was the train track that went straight back to the zonein when you were done plowing your way through(something that started to get utilized by WoW FINALLY around TBC).

I thought the Cazic-Thule zone was pretty cool as well, especially after the re-do of mob stats and loot tables. The pyramid in the middle and stuff =) Also South Karana was neat with the avian bird platforms in the middle. I could name a slew of zones I have some fond memories of.

Quote:
I can't believe your seriously try to argue that point again.

And perhaps it was after my time, but what zones did they remodel?

Highly disagree on all points, except maybe the lore to an extent - but who really cared about that other than people who think it's more enjoyable to read 2nd-rate storyline as opposed to picking up a good book? =)

Fribur is correct in that several zones have been remodeled. Not in terms of art of course(or at least, not always.. I think there may have been a few cases where they updated art), but in terms of gameplay/mob level/design - I know Droga(maybe Nurga) and I believe Najena were redone around the PoP era. Cazic-Thule was of course, re-done(probably several times). I believe Blackburrow was redone as well.

Anyway, of course I'm arguing "that" point, it's relatively simple and somewhat uncontested ;) But, to each their own as well.

-------------

On the other topic about quests, I think some of the more experienced MMO vets out there saw through "Kill X Mobs, pick up generator and refit it to the module" as an artificial topping to make you "feel" that you're not really grinding. And it's a nice illusion, no doubt. But very artificial, and it was more obvious with WoW's early quests.

I will say to an extent it IS more enjoyable than grinding, but it becomes annoying when you realize that all you really want is 20 Kill X quests instead of "Pick up the neurotranspitter from Mr. Copperspinners, take it to point A to test its effects, then to point B...." to get your 10k-20k exp and move on. It becomes a hassle when the quests get completely uninventive, which unfortunately, they often do. I just don't think this is the ultra-mega-breakthrough in MMORPG gameplay that people sometimes make it out to be.

It's a nice idea, but it can still be a grind.

Offline Profile