hrm yay?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Classic EQ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:52 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
People will talk about it.

People will remember all the good stuff about it.

People will play for a week, remember all the commitment it requires to start with nothing, and do it from the beginning and quit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:37 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
I still remember 5 minutes fights with level 1 rats.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:04 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
EQ1 was what it was because there was NOTHING else like it. Sure, some of us came from The Realm (me!) or UO (I waited for EQ and played UO later), many of us had long gaming creds.

But EQ was completely different and the world blew us all away.

You simply can't go home again. We wouldn't be blown away we'd be sitting around looking at the graphics and how fucking awful they were. We'd be noticing all the flaws of the game. MMOs have improved for a reason, and I'm not spending sixteen fucking hours in Najena camping those goddamn jboots ever again!!!!1111

Ahem.

So yeah. It was great for many of us, there are wonderful memories, but we cannot go back to what was and recapture it any more than we can recapture our childhood no matter how much shit we buy off eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:23 AM 
Bridge Dweller

There will never be another EQ-like experience that you felt when first playing the game. WoW had it's own charm, and sometimes I wish for it back. Rolling my first alliance character in the Fileplanet open beta, then buying retail shortly thereafter (Nov 23, 04) -- there will never be that "wonder" again -- in any game. Ever. Simple.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:36 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
I might mess around with this when they finish it. If it forms a decent community it would be worth it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:00 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I still miss EQ1.

Seriously fuck WoW for being so easy with no sense of accomplishment possible.

;(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:26 AM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

I play EQ and I also play WoW.

For me, EQ has always been more enjoyable...but that is because of the community. Hell even years beyond the good days of Lanys, there is still a great sense of community in EQ.

That being said, I honestly don't think I've ever been fair to WoW, because I'm always saying EQ has a better community. There has to be a server in WoW somewhere that has a good community feel, with multiple guilds that are progression based and actually have a plan to develop besides targetting random newb 200 and typing /guildinvite.

I've just not seen it yet...but if and when the day comes that I do, I'd probably become heavily interested in WoW.

I think I'm just old and grumpy, but I get so damn tired of all the kiddies, the constant gold spammers, and guilds who just target people and invite them without so much as a "hi", or "fuck you" first. I also get sick of all these people who have nothing better to do than beg people to run them through every instance known to man without even the "attempt" at grouping first. Like somehow upon attaining level 70 it immediately flags you as a "farm bitch for newbies"

I'm damn lucky that my fiancee and a few RL friends play...that is the one thing that keeps it enjoyable. Going through instances, pushing ourselves doing instances a bit above where we "should" be...and caring enough about each other to make sure that good drops go to who can use them most. This has made the game much better for me...hence why I'm now playing casually.

No game is perfect, and frankly I have to agree with Givin...the memories from original EQ are great, but once people zone in, are reminded how much work it was, they'll get frustrated and quit. The hardcore ones will progress, they will overcome the content and still end up quiting once they realize they've "done it all", and then you have a dead server.

In theory it's a great idea..in actuallity it's a failure waiting to happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:28 PM 
Noob
Noob

I'm probably just feeling nostalgic but man, I would love to play some classic EQ again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:17 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

EQMac looked fun, so fun that I spent like 24 hours fantasizing about it and impulse-bought some new ram for my powerbook before I came to my senses and realized that grad school and MMOs don't fucking mix.

For someone who has more time than me though (and a mac) it looks like some fun nostalgia and a tight little community - it's been capped at PoP for like three years and the top guilds are still working on elementals, heh. Honestly it'd probably be infuriating after a couple weeks, but fun memories nonetheless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:27 AM 

How is that possible, still working on elementals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:25 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Probably because any progression inclined raider is playing something else. I suspect there's not a bunch of the hardcore lined up to overcome the end game content on a PoT capped EQ1 server.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 PM 
Noob
Noob

God that sounds like so much fun. I always loved Luclin/PoP era EQ...

I'm sure if i went back it wouldn't be as much fun... but the memories are great...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:55 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Givin Wetwillies wrote:

Absolute lack of numbers, probably.

Any mac owner who games will probably be playing WoW.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:30 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
it's been capped at PoP for like three years

WOW haha. That's pretty shitty, honestly. It was a great expansion IMO, but not that great... good lord. Poor guys.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:35 AM 

Vanamar wrote:
Givin Wetwillies wrote:

So there isn't 72 people playing on that server at all?

A lack of numbers for over 3 years is a very funny excuse indeed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Vanamar wrote:
Givin Wetwillies wrote:

So there isn't 72 people playing on that server at all?

A lack of numbers for over 3 years is a very funny excuse indeed.

72 people willing to raid and who have the same play schedule... probably.

I'd honestly be surprised of EQMac has more than 1000 subscribers, TBH. And few of those would play regularly.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:26 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

From the short time that I played eq mac I got the impression that there were a few large guilds (65-80 active raiders) a year or two ago then there was massive drama between all the guilds and the people that didn't leave for WoW have found it impossible to patch things up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
I'm probably just feeling nostalgic but man, I would love to play some classic EQ again.

Free EQ til July 25th, go here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:07 PM 

Just poking around.. I found some interesting comments regarding EQClassic on some random message boards.

Quote:
God I miss original hardass EQ. "Oh fuck it's 3am and I just died and I have to be up at 6am but I gotta get my fucking corpse and it's all the way in fucking Faydwer and oh god I can't lose my bronze armor.."

Quote:
This is exactly what I miss about that game. Death meant something. Penalties were harsh as they should be! I loved that while playing my Bard I got a full set of banded armor from a generous player and then promptly got my ass kicked by some douchebag Gnolls in Black Burrow and had to sneak all around to get my shit back before going to class in the morning

Shit, I remember killing Fire Beetles on my monk for hours just to sell their eyes! And also level up I suppose, but the eyes! They made great torches too I even miss watching my exp bubbles slowly fill up.. then that triumphant *DING*.. oh god that was so satisfying..

And of course... a great quote from the EQClassic FAQ's.

Quote:
We believe that there was true potential in EverQuest. It was an amazing game that occupied a lot of our time but we believe that Velious was the last good expansion. The game progressed, but the original feeling of amazement was lost. Cats on the moon. Clicking books to be shot across the continents. These were but some of the reasons why we feel that EverQuest lost its excitement.Brad McQuaid, Bill Trost, and Steve Clover were key in the development of the game and when McQuaid left, the game began to go downhill. We feel that had the original team stayed together and focused, EverQuest today would be a much different game. Hence it is our duty to continue the game as Verant would have before it was bought out by SOE.

I will indeed enjoy this...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:28 PM 
Bridge Dweller

EverQuest was so strange in that, there really was very little questing to be done. Most of my time playing EQ equated to just grinding and farming XP... camps for 3 or 4 hours to try and get half a level...

What the fuck was I thinking? I mean, when you boil it down, EQ was a very simply game with little to no point in playing. I still love it though. I couldn't get into it for that "Legends of Norrath" thing, so I uninstalled EQ1 and EQ2. I dunno, magic just isn't there anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:19 PM 

Because at the time, it was a superior formula to anything else available.

Not that it was unique, it was just superior.

The grind was there in Diablo 1. Many a night many of us ran Hell/Hell hoping for a legit suit of Godly Plate of Osmosis or of the Whale. It was there in Ultima Online. Hours upon hours spent holding down the Lich Lord Room in Deceit, or the Ancient Wurm room in Despise or Discord. I think it was Discord. Anyway, Everquest just put a superior brand of spin on the fun and increased the potential to be an individual in a gigantic fantasy world.

It was a pretty remarkable fantasy world also, easy to get into and identify with, just like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance or any countless worlds that had been created. Locations and NPCs became personal to us because quite honestly, we grew up with them.

We love the memories that we have, not the game mechanics. Corpse runs, corpse decay, non instanced dungeons and contested raid targets.

All bullshit. All horrible features of a MMORPG in all honestly. But we accepted it and put up with that horseshit because A, there just wasn't anything better, and B, thats just how it is, so deal.

And deal we did. For years as we were spoon fed that shit. So much in fact that for some, it is ingrained into their head that "this is the way it is supposed to be and anything else is wrong."

Gaming grew up. The bottom line is, a new venture created in the image of Everquest could only end up as one thing.

Failure.

We also grew up. What we used to consider norm for raiding, is laughable nowadays. 12 hour marathon NToV clears were common. Now there isn't 12 hours worth of raidable content hardly in most mmorpgs.

Not to mention stamina. Day in and day out 24 hour plus marathon raiding. Camping contested spawns, decaying houses, whatever. Giving out your pager number, or keeping in touch via ICQ with the volume on your speakers cranked to full as you went for a quick hour nap and had to be alerted at a moments notice.

And this is all just to be competitive back then, not win.

Fuck all that noise.

Most of us are not young bucks anymore. Family Education and other things have replaced the desire to game for most. I am piss tired usually nowadays by midnight, 1 AM. Sometimes sooner.

I still to this day consider online gaming a hobby. Not a way of life. A hobby I enjoy. If I were no longer able to do it, I would replace it with something else. I was always partial to painting miniatures and model cars. MMORPGs just happened to win out because it was a cheap hobby that entertained.

I'll keep the memories close, and remember the good and bad fondly. But thats it. I do not want another Everquest experience. For that matter I do not want another World of Warcraft experience. If thats what I desire, I know where to look.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Most of us are not young bucks anymore. Family Education and other things have replaced the desire to game for most. I am piss tired usually nowadays by midnight, 1 AM. Sometimes sooner.

I still to this day consider online gaming a hobby. Not a way of life. A hobby I enjoy. If I were no longer able to do it, I would replace it with something else. I was always partial to painting miniatures and model cars. MMORPGs just happened to win out because it was a cheap hobby that entertained.

I'll keep the memories close, and remember the good and bad fondly. But thats it. I do not want another Everquest experience. For that matter I do not want another World of Warcraft experience. If thats what I desire, I know where to look.

Well said, sir. It's amazing what different people all of us have become. Looking back I'm almost ashamed of myself, especially for the petty shit. That said, I wouldn't take some of it back at all. It, oddly enough, helped shape me into the person I am today. I've learned the hard lesson of valuing friendships over success, but also maintaining passion and drive into ALL aspects of my life. Not just gaming.

Besides, a real life FL mentality is pretty interesting with the lessons learned ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:12 AM 

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Because at the time, it was a superior formula to anything else available.

Not that it was unique, it was just superior.

The grind was there in Diablo 1. Many a night many of us ran Hell/Hell hoping for a legit suit of Godly Plate of Osmosis or of the Whale. It was there in Ultima Online. Hours upon hours spent holding down the Lich Lord Room in Deceit, or the Ancient Wurm room in Despise or Discord. I think it was Discord. Anyway, Everquest just put a superior brand of spin on the fun and increased the potential to be an individual in a gigantic fantasy world.

It was a pretty remarkable fantasy world also, easy to get into and identify with, just like Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance or any countless worlds that had been created. Locations and NPCs became personal to us because quite honestly, we grew up with them.

We love the memories that we have, not the game mechanics. Corpse runs, corpse decay, non instanced dungeons and contested raid targets.

All bullshit. All horrible features of a MMORPG in all honestly. But we accepted it and put up with that horseshit because A, there just wasn't anything better, and B, thats just how it is, so deal.

And deal we did. For years as we were spoon fed that shit. So much in fact that for some, it is ingrained into their head that "this is the way it is supposed to be and anything else is wrong."

Gaming grew up. The bottom line is, a new venture created in the image of Everquest could only end up as one thing.

Failure.

We also grew up. What we used to consider norm for raiding, is laughable nowadays. 12 hour marathon NToV clears were common. Now there isn't 12 hours worth of raidable content hardly in most mmorpgs.

Not to mention stamina. Day in and day out 24 hour plus marathon raiding. Camping contested spawns, decaying houses, whatever. Giving out your pager number, or keeping in touch via ICQ with the volume on your speakers cranked to full as you went for a quick hour nap and had to be alerted at a moments notice.

And this is all just to be competitive back then, not win.

Fuck all that noise.

I really can't agree with this more. EQ was more like a summer camp. It has great memories that most of us would return to time to time before we outgrown it. We have pictures, letters, etc. that we look back on and wish we could relive those moments but they no longer fit into our life's puzzle.

When I saw EQClassic, I really looked at this as an opportunity to just play with something I enjoy within my timeline. No matter how hard I have tried to play MMO's or games in general to escape the stress of my job or whatever, it just didn't have it's place. When AOC released, Xolar and I split an account and I think we have 3 level 10 characters. Neither one of us have logged onto the game in 2-3 weeks. EQ2 was probably the last game I really played but, I averaged no more than a few hours a week.

Games have changed to a different generation mainly because the old generation they were geared to has grown up. I'm a Software Admin and a Youth Minister now. I work with Jr. High and Sr. High kids, and believe it or not I have a lot of gamers. This passed week at the Ichthus Festival, I even heard a lot of people saying "noob", "ownage", "pwned", etc. This was all new to them. At first I questioned some kids what they were playing and they all played Xbox Live stuff. That's really the new thing and we have get together's at my house once a month. I set up my Wii and play Smash Tourney's and Mario Kart, while I set up Rock Bank, CoD4, etc. in another room.

Overall, I guess I look for something here and there to play during the fall and winter with my son like Xolar and I did in EQ. Our family are very sports oriented people but, when it's out of season, we are very game oriented people. We just like to have fun.

I do hope that a good game comes out since Computers are somewhat my job and even my hobby that I can enjoy playing. Eventhough I never really played "hardcore" during my EQ career, I do remember several 8 and 12 hour nights during my short raiding stint. I could barely do it then and I would never want to do it now. However, that does not mean EQ classic could not enjoyed and casually checked. I think it would be a lot of fun to just take down Naggy again. Just as I still play Final Fantasy 2, old Zelda's, and Super Tecmo Bowl, EQ will always be a classic and would be added to may casual gaming itch that I would like to scratch. The great thing about life is it usually makes full circle. When my son gets older i'm sure i'll be playing basketball again instead of just coaching, i'll be rushing to buy the latest system and attempting to get the newest game.

The beauty of life's great experiences are they can be shared and it's the only way they are truly relived is when they are passed on and enjoyed my someone else.

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Ain't that sad? :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:03 PM 

I'll be 27 on July 10. My son will be 1 on August 27th.

In 1999 (EQ Live) I was a Senior in High School.

Take care,
Muli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:53 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Leolan wrote:
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Ain't that sad? :(

It's even more strange to see Givin writing it.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 PM 

It's the John Rambo effect.

I don't slaughter entire nations any longer, but if it comes down to having to...

"Fuck'em."

It really depends. In WoW, I used to game with 2 aussie chicks who would only play at crazy hours. It was worth playing that late at night because we would usualy do a crazy amount of heroics and mass farm badges with our static. That shit got old quick tho.

In EQ2, usualy a good 2 or 3 hour session and I call it a day and fire up something else like Diablo 2 Eastern Sun or any other mindless itemgrind game I have to close out the night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
MuliganVanJurai wrote:
I'll be 27 on July 10. My son will be 1 on August 27th.

In 1999 (EQ Live) I was a Senior in High School.

Take care,
Muli

Your son has the same birthday as me! NEATO! :blob4:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 PM 

1999-2003 (ish) that was my lifestyle. It was great logging on and seeing my same in game friends whome I only knew by character name and wondering what adventures or rewards they received while I was away at work or real life.

I will give this one a try too....like I have everyone other popular MMO that has come out in the past 15 years. I'm going through somewhat of a drought with games. I even re-opened my old UO account for a month...yup that board.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:00 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Muli, believe me, I'm not debating the changes we've made.

I just miss those hours of late night productivity, gaming aside.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:48 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

What are you talking about Leo, out of those late night sessions how many of them were you actually awake for =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

Maybe it's just nostalgia then... ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 PM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
Solanthious wrote:
What are you talking about Leo, out of those late night sessions how many of them were you actually awake for =p
His title isn't "The Sleeper" for nothing you know

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:17 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Aaramis, Aerendil
EQ2: Aaramis, Telomir
SWOR: Aaramis
Some good points re: EQ and nostalgia.

I think, or at least hope, that most of us have matured to the point where we realize, as Givin mentioned, that 12 hr gaming marathons are just plain silly.
Back then we did it because we pretty much had to if we wanted to be top dog (and for most "powergamers", that was the end goal, wasn't it? to be the best equipped player around).

But I think these days, it would be playing for the sheer nostalgia of it all.
There wouldn't be the massive rush to get to 50+ ASAP.
We'd just take it slowly, playing a few hours here and there, and laughing at the shitty graphics, inside jokes, and memorable places (i.e. kithicor runs at night; grimfeather deaths in Karana; "LOCKJAW!!"; etc.). Or at least that's what I'd be aiming for, anyways. Can't speak for everyone.

But then how much of the game would we miss, I wonder, if we skipped all those disgustingly long camps for the good gear.
Or if we only ever gamed for a few hours a night, would we ever tackle Trakanon again? or Nagafen? (especially considering the time to assemble and travel to some of these areas). Fear and Hate would be a complete writeoff, especially in the event of a possible wipe.
Those are the things that turn me off of what I would otherwise be quite interested in on a casual basis.

*shrug*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Quote:

I downloaded it. Logged in. My account was there, but, Worthy was gone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:57 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Thought you Ebayed Worthy?

Anywho I logged in, went to PoK >> Overthere and killed the cliff golem and got a 1AA from the kill. I was amazed then logged off.

Fun times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Naw, never E-bayed anything.
I figgured I would come back some dqy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:43 PM 

Worthy, don't bang sheep with out a condom....

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:05 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Vexana
Masjaun wrote:
Worthy, don't bang sheep with out a condom....

You thinking of Waring? He ebayed and for a while the ebay version was a "Community Leader/Class Rep" on for Sony/EQ. Dunno if he still is, I quit ~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Worthy wrote:
Quote:

I downloaded it. Logged in. My account was there, but, Worthy was gone.

Wrong server perhaps?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:39 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Haha, the guy I sold Sola too is still playing, under the name Togah Bolts....619 days played and he's only done about 100 of them.

God damn I played eq way too much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:43 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Found him!
You where right, wrong server.
I forgot I did not go to the Lanys Combined server.
I had gone to Polvar.

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/character_profile.vm?characterId=528281005316

Not uber like some of the characters online, but, he was my first.

My computer locked up when I loaded him tho. I need to upgrade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:22 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I was able to turn off all my background programs and play last night with my buddy who is a 60 Ranger. We farted around in Permafrost just ganking stuff for fun.

Any suggestions where the 2 of us could hunt and get experience?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

damn near everything is unkeyed now Worthy, you could check out BoT or something, proly decent XP for you there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:35 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I do miss the old EQ sometimes, all the negetive's about the game are correct. But it still holds a special place in people's memories.

For me it was the adventures I had with My sister ( Shylee ) in the game. You see my sister passed away Last November, she was the one that got me started in the game, we did so much together in it, we talked everyday about it, she helped me so much with quests and stuff.. she was a Druid I was a Ranger ( Wildiiana )

Maybe the Old game should stay just memories, I found this video and seems to fit my thoughts on it. She is a memory now and all the fun times we had, maybe the game should be that too. She will always be in this time frame for me.

http://www.eq2center.com/db/article.asp?ID=456

People talk about the long camping, and how long it took to lvl, but looking back on it all, I think its what made it so special, the chat in groups and in OOC was so much fun, and how you got to meet so many people and they seemed to be so real.

I guess it really wasnt the game it was the people behind each characther that made it so special. It's maybe why people jump from game to game, never really finding what they are looking for, maybe it is all the old EQ times people really do miss. The battles that took forever, the messed up quests. but what I remember is the times you would hear Griffen near Inn, and in OOC someone would say I'm on it and all the diff things people would say to let you know a train was coming. It seemed so awsome when a high lvl would drop by the newbie lift in Gfay and offer buffs, man you thought you where uber, and you would hurry off so as not to waste a min. Now its all in the guild lobby. No real sence in where you came from. The starter cities are empty now, standing silent, like a guard of old, waiting for the return of times gone by.

I'm not real sure how to do a link in the forums anymore but I hope you can see these sites, I wish I had picks of my sister to post but think of her when and if you watch these.

Shylee you will always be in Norrath with me.

Wildiiana

Last edited by Neesha the Necro on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.
fixed the youtube links

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I actually got a little lump in my throat reading your post. I'm sorry for your loss but it's great that you still have those fond memories of her and you have that connection. Thanks, in large part, to a video game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Wow, that post got ot me as well. Sorry for the loss, but glad to see you have a lot of fond memories.

here is my personal fav eq flashback vid:

http://eqvids.com/Flash/memalbum/memalbumf.htm

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:27 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

WoW: Xanides
Re: Missing the game or missing the memories

True, a lot of people had to move on from that kind of gaming, but I'm sure there's new gamers who'd love a game with that kind of involvement. And even from those of us who experienced EQ in its youth, there would be some who'd still manage those 12h a day playsessions still.

A new EQ-like MMO would definetely not be a WoW-threathening hit, but 50k-250k players would not be unattainable for a quality hardcore MMO. Those people who miss the EQ experience (and aren't just missing the memories of good ol' times) are not necessarily against new technologies and new graphics, but against casual-friendly spoon-fed games like WoW.

I remember very well the nights of playing till I was about to fall asleep on my keyboard, the trusted friends to share an account with because the guild may desperately need my cleric or leaving mIRC on loud with keywords so my guildleader could wake me up after 2h of sleep, because the server crashed and Naggy was up at 5am. I miss that. Not because it was a fun time, but because it was a game that truely filled my gaming time.

I did hardcore WoW raiding. I had fun, but ultimately it was not even close to the experience of EQ. Not because EQ was new, but because EQ was happening all the time. In WoW my 'end game' guild raided 4 times a week for about 6 hours a day. Raids were clearly scheduled - we never had to hurry and kill a boss before another guild killed it. Sometimes we wiped a lot - it wasn't a big deal even on those days when I had to repair from red several times. My hard-earned gear was never in danger, my entry to an instance was never in danger. In fact there was never any risk, or really any urgency.

If a game built on old EQ gameplay came out now would I have the time to dedicate to it to play it like I would like to? In all honesty, no. But I'm damn sure my wife would be all over it. In a few years my oldest son might love something like that. If I play my cards right, in another 10 or so we might have enough money to retire and I could have that time once again. But in the meantime I'd definetely buy an account or two and play my measly 6-8h a night hopefully getting to do some casual raiding (casual by old EQ standards).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:01 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Quote:
But in the meantime I'd definetely buy an account or two and play my measly 6-8h a night hopefully getting to do some casual raiding (casual by old EQ standards).

I dont play that much a day maybe an hour a day, but with the revamps I can do quite a bit of EXP now in short amouts of time. which is fantastic, In WoW it was becoming harder and harder to just exp grind or do quest, maybe its just a change of pace and ill grow tired of it and go back to WoW and level up some more. Who knows.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Apparently the eqclassic server got bitchslapped by SOE. Their website is down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:39 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The website had a calvin and hobbes comic up yesterday talking about sueing someone to make money and today the site is apparently up for sale again. sucks =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

damn the man!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 AM 
Noob
Noob

EQ1: Moyraine Minzwisper
WoW: Constea
The domain is hosted at GoDaddy now but it's just a blank page with,
"Please be patient and bear with us.
Thank you!"

~~~~
Reninia, (Retired) Paladin of Rodcet Nife, Stromm server

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:08 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

they have their IRC chat linked to the site now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Quote:
If a game built on old EQ gameplay came out now would I have the time to dedicate to it to play it like I would like to? In all honesty, no. But I'm damn sure my wife would be all over it. In a few years my oldest son might love something like that. If I play my cards right, in another 10 or so we might have enough money to retire and I could have that time once again.

When I retire I'm gonna do something worthwhile, not sit around all day playing Everquest hardcore.

What a waste of life, man. And shame on you if you ever introduce your kids to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:45 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Oh, lord.

Offline Profile