It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I would play but.....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 AM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

I would play EQ11 but.. its been out to long to even think of starting.. Everyone else would be lvl 60 or what ever the high lvl is.. Would know nothing about the game.. would get slamed to no end if a question would be asked.. and Besides the thing I hate most of all is playing alone all the time..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:01 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
ok

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:39 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Keylogger?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:00 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Elidrin
WoW: Avelle
hansi wrote:
I would play EQ11 but.. its been out to long to even think of starting.. Everyone else would be lvl 60 or what ever the high lvl is.. Would know nothing about the game.. would get slamed to no end if a question would be asked.. and Besides the thing I hate most of all is playing alone all the time..

what?

Avelle 75 PLD/DRG/DRK/BRD
Midgardsormr - Active again
Elidrin 75 Paladin
Midgardsormr - Retired
Elidrin 65 Ranger
Lanys T'Vyl - Retired

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:34 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

When did eq3 through 10 come out?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Weird.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:40 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

wtf is this, seriously?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:58 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

You people fail at reading comprehension.

@ OP
You're probably right. I do not think it would be enjoyable this late into the game to start unless they open new servers on a consisten basis, even then it would be lacking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:08 AM 
Noob
Noob

Eccentrika wrote:
You people fail at reading comprehension.

@ OP
You're probably right. I do not think it would be enjoyable this late into the game to start unless they open new servers on a consisten basis, even then it would be lacking.

Not exactly true. There are a ton of people starting new characters on a consistant basis to make the trip to max lvl fun. Depending on the server you start on, of course. About a month or so ago they introduced a new race, the Arasai or whatever, basically an evil Fae race, and a new starting area, so there are quite a few newbies starting out.

With 'Rise of Kunark' coming out they'll be introducing Sarknaks as a playable race and there will be a new starting area so there will be a lot of new characters being created and a lot of new content to mess around with. So I dont really think that leveling up would be too terribly difficult.

Anyway, EQ2 is a pretty fun game to mess around with. I play on Blackburrow and am having a good time playing. Look me up if any of you decide to start playing :)

Kadayen - Conjuror EQ2
Jadas - Bard EQLive
Tadow - Warrior EQLive

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:12 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

At the chance of responding to a complete troll posting, it's never too late to start. In your average MMORPG(which includes EQ2, I think), it's really not all that hard to catch up assuming you can get to max level in a reasonable amount of time. Most MMORPGs have soft barriers for individual progression, so it's not like people spend X amount of time, therefore they are X more powerful to me. Especially with new content coming out which occasionally devalues current gear/time spent(both a potentially good and bad thing).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Venen wrote:
At the chance of responding to a complete troll posting, it's never too late to start. In your average MMORPG(which includes EQ2, I think), it's really not all that hard to catch up assuming you can get to max level in a reasonable amount of time. Most MMORPGs have soft barriers for individual progression, so it's not like people spend X amount of time, therefore they are X more powerful to me. Especially with new content coming out which occasionally devalues current gear/time spent(both a potentially good and bad thing).

It's not a horrible thing unless you devalue gear as much as they did with TBC in WoW. What a slap in the face to high end raid guilds that was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:08 AM 

Fair point. I'd imagine it was a huge slap in the face for those guilds who had spent so much time in Naxxramas. My guild was working on C'Thun at the time... personally, I did not mind it too much because it was fun leveling up in TBC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:42 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

intin wrote:
It's not a horrible thing unless you devalue gear as much as they did with TBC in WoW. What a slap in the face to high end raid guilds that was.

This was hardly the case, T3 lasted most people almost to 70. Show me one serious guild that complained loudly about being slapped in the face with the release of the expansion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:46 PM 

Quote:
This was hardly the case, T3 lasted most people almost to 70. Show me one serious guild that complained loudly about being slapped in the face with the release of the expansion.

No hardcore guild would bother complaining. Their entire goal is to keep pushing, constantly, and it woul d be seen as a sign of weakness and there would also be no point to it since they'd be geared out soon anyway.

That being said, who cares if it lasted until 70? It took dedicated players maybe, a week to get 70 if not less? Leveling has always been the tiniest part of the WoW experience(although sadly looking back it was enjoyable in some sense). They then quickly replaced it with blues with new stat allocations that were deemed more important(maybe not quite the case with tier 4, but a couple weeks later with Kara gear they were done too).

Now, again, I don't mind it that much. I like moving on. I just think it would have been a bit more of a nod in the direction of those who spent so much time earning it. Tier 2 gear should have lasted until Kara, and Tier 4 should have lasted until SSC/TK Bosses. That would have been more respectable IMO. They took a decent idea and took it to an extreme.

Anyway, that being said, I would rather they do their devalues and expansions in chunks rather than all at once. I had a good time leveling up and gearing out the first few weeks/months. Nowadays? Anyone who has even casually been gearing up should be maxxed out at this point, in MULTIPLE sets of gear. There are only 3 options while we whack off waiting for new content: Wait for a raid to start, Arena, or play the 50th alt(Or enter a battleground with the same 2-year-old map and gameplay). They need to raise the limit on power on a more frequent basis, and do it in chunks. Blizzard instead is too busy staring at their micromanaged stat allocation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:05 PM 
Spider Slayer

I may be wrong but I'd think hardcore guilds would have people in semi-retirement, taking alts to raids maybe, and losing members to sheer boredom considering all the "hardcore" guilds put Illidan on farm half a year ago, and lots more in the following months.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:28 PM 

Such is the case with Juggernaut on Doomhammer from what I've seen. Pretty much every time I see one of them it's an alt. I think they made a post like 3 months ago recruiting people for Sunwell Plateau, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
No hardcore guild would bother complaining. Their entire goal is to keep pushing, constantly, and it woul d be seen as a sign of weakness and there would also be no point to it since they'd be geared out soon anyway.

That being said, who cares if it lasted until 70? It took dedicated players maybe, a week to get 70 if not less? Leveling has always been the tiniest part of the WoW experience(although sadly looking back it was enjoyable in some sense). They then quickly replaced it with blues with new stat allocations that were deemed more important(maybe not quite the case with tier 4, but a couple weeks later with Kara gear they were done too).

Where to start… Who cares, well Intin cares seeing as how he saw it as a slap in the face to guilds who had completed Naxxramas as well as yourself since you agreed with him. But what’s really ironic is that you’re also stating that it took a mere couple weeks to replace their Tier three with Kara gear; if that was in fact the case, wouldn’t the corollary be that it also only took a couple weeks to exhaust the gear in Naxx?

You also state that most dedicated players took a week or less to level to 70, perhaps true if your definition of dedicated only includes the likes of Death and Taxes and similar guilds, otherwise you’re out to lunch. As for these blues with new stat allocations that people were rushing to, does your sample include only those in ‘of the Bear’ and ‘of the Eagle’ gear? By and large, for people in Tier 2+, new items were more of the same, just better.

Venen wrote:
Now, again, I don't mind it that much. I like moving on. I just think it would have been a bit more of a nod in the direction of those who spent so much time earning it. Tier 2 gear should have lasted until Kara, and Tier 4 should have lasted until SSC/TK Bosses. That would have been more respectable IMO. They took a decent idea and took it to an extreme.

So let us imagine a world where Tier 2 lasted until Kara and Tier 3 lasted until SSC, who wins in that scenario? It sure isn’t those on the cutting edge who have zero incentive to experience the first portion of the new content on top of the fact they’re forced to sit around in their gear that is already how many months old now? And why does Tier 2 last until Kara, BWL was how old when TBC was released? You later argue that you want power increases to come in chunks but here you’re arguing for gear to stay relevant for well over a year.

Venen wrote:
Anyone who has even casually been gearing up should be maxxed out at this point, in MULTIPLE sets of gear. There are only 3 options while we whack off waiting for new content: Wait for a raid to start, Arena, or play the 50th alt(Or enter a battleground with the same 2-year-old map and gameplay). They need to raise the limit on power on a more frequent basis, and do it in chunks. Blizzard instead is too busy staring at their micromanaged stat allocation.

So with this said, the obvious question is, how long has your guild had Illidan on farm for? As for the latter part of your statement, how do you propose they raise the limit power on a more frequent basis? Is this not already accomplished each and every time they release a new tier of dungeons, first SSC/TK than BT/MH and soon to be The Sunwell? That’s four notable increases in power in what will be just over a year, seems reasonable on this end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:49 AM 

Quote:
Where to start… Who cares, well Intin cares seeing as how he saw it as a slap in the face to guilds who had completed Naxxramas as well as yourself since you agreed with him. But what’s really ironic is that you’re also stating that it took a mere couple weeks to replace their Tier three with Kara gear; if that was in fact the case, wouldn’t the corollary be that it also only took a couple weeks to exhaust the gear in Naxx?

Well of course we care about the fact that it didn't last - the point in the context of "OMG IT LASTS UNTIL 70!!" is, who cares if it does last that small amount of time when compared to lasting so much longer?

I think in the case of Naxx gear some guilds held on to it a bit longer as compared to Tier 2.5 stuff from AQ40 which was eliminated after Kara pretty much. So yea, a few weeks for the more hardcore guilds. The point was that it was replaced relatively quickly when it could have remained around a while.

Quote:
You also state that most dedicated players took a week or less to level to 70, perhaps true if your definition of dedicated only includes the likes of Death and Taxes and similar guilds, otherwise you’re out to lunch. As for these blues with new stat allocations that people were rushing to, does your sample include only those in ‘of the Bear’ and ‘of the Eagle’ gear? By and large, for people in Tier 2+, new items were more of the same, just better.

I think with my Pally I did it in around 5 days /played, and I didn't really even try nor AOE level. I could easily see someone doing it in a week, especially a DPS class with some previous gear from AQ/Naxx. And I did see a few people on Doomhammer do it in less, so I don't think it was completely rare. 2 weeks and you have many of the active players.

As an example of the new stat allocations/emphasis, you had warriors rushing to hit the defense caps for crit. It wouldn't be easy to attain that and actually be able to tank bosses reliably with mostly tier 2 or 2.5. AP also always had some emphasis, but with the leniency in stat allocation you saw more people gravitating toward it. Some of the changes in definition to things like crit rating at level 70 made people re-think the gear and change out.

Quote:
So let us imagine a world where Tier 2 lasted until Kara and Tier 3 lasted until SSC, who wins in that scenario? It sure isn’t those on the cutting edge who have zero incentive to experience the first portion of the new content on top of the fact they’re forced to sit around in their gear that is already how many months old now? And why does Tier 2 last until Kara, BWL was how old when TBC was released? You later argue that you want power increases to come in chunks but here you’re arguing for gear to stay relevant for well over a year.

The same could be said for those same people on the cutting edge who wander into a 5-man for the first time only to find no gear for them until Kara. The question is where the line is drawn. I don't think it should be drawn to the point where nearly EVERYTHING in Kara is an upgrade right when you step in. An upgrade here and there, a sidegrade there. It's a 10-man instance, not hardcore raiding content. When you get to the raiding content, then you should start to see some upgrades to your previous (gasp) raiding content.

With Tier 2, like you said, it's been around, so a 10-man Kara wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. I fail to see how that's contradictory to my want for small chunks of power increase. Well over a year? /boggle. Most moderate and average guilds have been done with SSC for some time now, and quite a few in Hyjal/BT now. More like 6 months to start seeing some drops if we assume that you have to clear all of SSC to see them all replaced. And that's only for stuff from Naxx. I don't think that's extremely unreasonable, but I think 2-3 months would be a decent amount of time - perhaps it would start dropping at Prince or optional bosses, and the rest at the first SSC bosses? Either way, that's a reasonable timeframe IMO. Kara loot still finishing off Tier 2/2.5 stuff, and we'll be generous and say 1-1.5 months for clearing Kara.

Quote:
So with this said, the obvious question is, how long has your guild had Illidan on farm for? As for the latter part of your statement, how do you propose they raise the limit power on a more frequent basis? Is this not already accomplished each and every time they release a new tier of dungeons, first SSC/TK than BT/MH and soon to be The Sunwell? That’s four notable increases in power in what will be just over a year, seems reasonable on this end.

Currently we're working on the borefest that is the Kael'thas fight(getting phase 4 down atm). I don't see what that has to do with my claims.

Raising it for only those on the cutting edge is not the way to do it. I would propose something akin to an Alternate Advancement system - in other words, EVERYONE gets an increase in power, not only those who have direct access to X and Y. Something that would, you know, make doing 5-man dungeon crawls feel somewhat worthwhile on a rainy day as opposed to your 20g in disenchant monies.

Giving everyone a power increase on top of adding new zones like Sunwell would go a ways toward getting anywhere even close to the amount that was increased with the new expansion. The problem is that even Hyjal/BT loots show plenty of signs from Blizzard on their massive holding back of any large stat increases.

Nearly the exact same issue in ZA... how pathetic is it that they actually put in a timer there specifically for the higher end guilds just so that they could disenchant more items and come out "ahead"? I will grant that Zul'jin drops a couple items that might come close to outdoing a few items in BT, but they really could have done quite a bit better instead of making most of the items next to useless unless you were in absolutely nothing but Kara gear.

The point being that Blizzard holds back on nearly every piece of gear, and then completely blows a load during an expansion. Now that might not be bad market sense at first... but it kinda sucks for the longevity of the game in the meantime while we wait in between expansions.

There is no limit to the numbers they can place on an item. If, every once in a while we could say "HOLY CRAP!" when we look at an item that came with one of the "big patches", then we could say this amounts to the "power chunk" I'm talking about. And maybe not even holy crap, but "Hey, I could actually fucking wear that item over what I have from a boss I killed 6 months ago!".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:37 PM 

EQ1: Noni Deecups
EQ2: Oliva Love
I thought this was the EQ2 section...

:prayer:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Quote:
I will grant that Zul'jin drops a couple items that might come close to outdoing a few items in BT, but they really could have done quite a bit better instead of making most of the items next to useless unless you were in absolutely nothing but Kara gear.

You miss the entire point of the zone.

It's the Maraudon of TBC progression. It's put there to fill in a gap and boost you up to get further into SSC/TK.

A bone thrown to raiders, similar to AQ20 which allows them to grab a select few pieces of gear to help with progression into the larger raid areas.

And this new layout fucking sucks. I don't give a shit if it is finished or not, the quote format is horrible. Stop fucking with it every 2 months. The old way was fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Venen wrote:
I don't think it should be drawn to the point where nearly EVERYTHING in Kara is an upgrade right when you step in. An upgrade here and there, a sidegrade there. It's a 10-man instance, not hardcore raiding content. When you get to the raiding content, then you should start to see some upgrades to your previous (gasp) raiding content.

Venen wrote:
I will grant that Zul'jin drops a couple items that might come close to outdoing a few items in BT, but they really could have done quite a bit better instead of making most of the items next to useless unless you were in absolutely nothing but Kara gear.

It's responses like the above (in the same post no less) that make debating with you so frustrating.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:56 PM 

Quote:
It's responses like the above (in the same post no less) that make debating with you so frustrating.

I figured it was pretty clearcut. If this is the ONLY thing they are going to give us in terms of an increase in power, then at least make it worthwhile for everyone. When you have a release of both 10-man(Kara, hello my comment quoted above) and 25-man zones, obviously you are going to have practically everything in the 25-man zone superior.

But when releasing a new 10-man zone some 6-8 months after those old zones, they should want to throw in some stuff that's geniunely exciting for everyone loot-wise. I really don't care what the content is in that case, give people a reason to visit it other than whack off at the new graphics and encounter mechanics.

I figured that was obvious given the context that we're talking about power updates(which included my comment about 10-man content as opposed to hardcore raiding content). Try and read a little more carefully next time Argrax.

Quote:
It's the Maraudon of TBC progression. It's put there to fill in a gap and boost you up to get further into SSC/TK.

A bone thrown to raiders, similar to AQ20 which allows them to grab a select few pieces of gear to help with progression into the larger raid areas.

I agree that's the point - the cool thing about Maraudon was that you actually had some great items from a few of the bosses that lasted a longass time. The itemization wasn't horrid there.

I think ZG came close to doing it right. With it you at least had enchants that pretty much EVERYONE needed and the increase in power from them was really palpable. Honestly I never liked AQ20 nearly as much, partly because personally I thought the itemization was even worse than ZG.

None of that would really be an issue if they would release something akin to an AA system, or any kind of advancement system where you aren't simply upgrading the same 14 slots over and over. I'd have fewer complaints about itemization and actually throwing people a bone with new 10-man content if they would actually implement that or find another way to release "power chunks<tm>".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Argrax wrote:
intin wrote:

Actually I played on a newish server near the TBC release. The guild I was in was the farthest on the server at that point. Keep in mind that was only starting up on AQ40 (NEW SERVER). Note I didn't say "hardcore" as there is a large difference between a player who is "hardcore" and a player who happens to be in the farthest along guild on a newer server. Basically when TBC was announced and the gear was hinted at all of the "higher end" guilds on the server Aerie Peak quit playing till TBC release.

Offline Profile