It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

This woman is a Racist Nut. Racist against America. Justin Bieber is OK but not Gob Bless the USA for 5 Year olds? WTF? I have been hearing about this for a few days on the news.

Quote:
School pulls patriotic song at graduation, but Justin Bieber's 'Baby' is OK (Video on link)

A Coney Island principal refused to let students sing "God Bless the USA" at a school ceremony -- but Justin Bieber's "Baby" was suitable.
A controversial Coney Island principal has pulled the plug on patriotism.

Her refusal to let students sing “God Bless the USA” at their graduation has sparked fireworks at a school filled with proud immigrants.

Greta Hawkins, principal of PS 90, the Edna Cohen School, won’t allow kindergartners to belt out the beloved Lee Greenwood ballad, also known as “Proud to be an American,” at their moving-up ceremony.

Five classes spent months learning the patriotic song, which skyrocketed in popularity after the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

It was to be the rousing finale of their musical show at the June 20 commencement. The kids, dressed up for their big day, would wave tiny American flags — which, as the lyrics proclaim, “still stand for freedom.”
But Hawkins marched in on a recent rehearsal and ordered a CD playing the anthem to be shut off, staffers said.

She told the teachers to drop the song from the program.

“We don’t want to offend other cultures,” they quoted her as explaining.

The curt edict stunned both staff and parents.

“A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride,” said mom Luz Lozada, whose son, Daniel, is in kindergarten.

The song has been sung at previous school events. Last year’s fifth-graders, including another Lozada child, performed it at graduation.

“Everybody applauded and whistled,” the mom said. “They gave it a standing ovation.”
Parents — many immigrants from Pakistan, Mexico and Ecuador — “love it,” Lozada said.

A teacher agreed: “It makes them a little goosebumpy and teary-eyed. I’ve never come across anyone who felt it insulted their culture.”

Department of Education spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti gave The Post an explanation staffers said they never heard — that Hawkins found the lyrics “too grown up” for 5-year-olds.

The song starts: “If tomorrow all the things were gone, I’d worked for all my life. And I had to start again, with just my children and my wife, I’d thank my lucky stars, to be livin’ here today.”

Scaperotti said the department supports the principal’s decision. “The lyrics are not age-appropriate,” she said.

But Justin Bieber’s flirty song about teen romance, “Baby,” was deemed a fine selection for the show. Hawkins had no problem with 5-year-olds singing lines such as, “Are we an item? Girl, quit playing.”

The other songs: “We’re All Together Again,” popular at Scout campfires; “The World is a Rainbow,” which celebrates diversity; “Shake Your Sillies Out” by Raffi; and “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from “Toy Story.”

Scaperotti noted PS 90 kids recite the Pledge of Allegiance and sing “America the Beautiful” each morning. Insiders say Hawkins tried to end that tradition a couple years ago but staff objected.

The principal, a Jehovah’s Witness, does not recite the pledge because her religion forbids followers to salute any nation’s flag. Staffers gripe she doesn’t stand in respect during the school-wide ritual.

The song uproar comes amid tensions. Hawkins has been called a tyrant and bully by some staffers.
The DOE reprimanded her in 2010 after teachers complained she called the school “racist” and declared: “I’m black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming.”

Scaperotti said Hawkins is being targeted by the teachers union and has received hate mail, which is under investigation by the NYPD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Couple quick things.

- America is not a race.
- The problem with "God Bless the USA" isn't about the USA. It's about God.

This article completely misses both points.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 AM 

Baby is a really good song though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
read the lyrics, line by line, its much more about country pride than God or anything religious.

The song is patriotic, not religious.

guess I know what to have playing loudly the next time JH come in my neighborhood and up to my door infringing on my time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:07 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery

Sing this instead. Have one of the little shits run out on stage and headbutt a North Korean flag. Problem solved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Singing a song isn't an endorsement of belief. There are countless reasons/ways for a person to enjoy/derive meaning from a particular song, and lyrics are one amongst many regardless of the writer's original intent. As there's no direct transfer of intent/meaning from original writer to singer, singing it doesn't imply agreement. Frankly, those against the pledge have a much better argument.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:12 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Tranthas wrote:
Couple quick things.

- America is not a race.
- The problem with "God Bless the USA" isn't about the USA. It's about God.

This article completely misses both points.

Quote:
The song uproar comes amid tensions. Hawkins has been called a tyrant and bully by some staffers.
The DOE reprimanded her in 2010 after teachers complained she called the school “racist” and declared: “I’m black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming.”

In my humble opinion, people who PULL the Race Card, in general, are Racists. Racism comes in many forms. That statement seems like a Racist threat to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
It's interesting that the only source I can find via Google about this story is the NY Post.

Worthy, you do know that the NY Post is a tabloid in the same vein as the National Enquirer or Weekly World News, right?

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:10 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
If it's on the internet, it's on www.lanysboard.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Looked her up online. Some mixed reviews.
http://teachervoice.com/principal-reviews/Brooklyn/P-S-90-Edna-Cohen-School/10-47416/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

Vanamar wrote:
It's interesting that the only source I can find via Google about this story is the NY Post.

Worthy, you do know that the NY Post is a tabloid in the same vein as the National Enquirer or Weekly World News, right?

Look up "Principal Greta Hawkins" instead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 PM 

Those are some seriously single-minded reviews from both sides. Looks like fucking Amazon.com. Love her? OMG 10 10 9 10 9 10 10 10 !~!!!!~ Hate her? OMG 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 !!!

The only thing worth knowing about from that are the racist allegations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

You know what else is fucking stupid? Patriotism. The only thing I loathe more than associating God with Country is the deification of Country itself (ie - the Pledge).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:12 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Wow :?

I don't think I can even wrap a rational thought around how different patriotism is from deification of country, ie-the pledge as you put can be

not even apples to oranges, more like apples to turtles

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:04 PM 

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
I think the important point that everyone seems to have missed is the 'graduation ceremony' for the kindergarten class of 12'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Patriotism and religion are so wrapped up in each other in many people's minds that it certainly seems appropriate to bring it up here to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

big difference to me at least between patriotism and patriotic fanatism

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Draconi wrote:
big difference to me at least between patriotism and patriotic fanatism

To YOU, certainly. Because you have a brain, and because you're an individual. But when you start introducing groupthink, patriotism becomes an entirely different beast altogether. My experiences with nationalism didn't much help my views either, so I'll admit that as well, but if we look carefully we do see the seeds being planted here I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quick, everyone order a $19.99 car flag, and keep it on until it's faded and tattered !
Buy war bonds !
Write songs about putting a boot in their ass.
Call them freedom fries and give back the statue of liberty!
Get upset when an obscure principle in Brooklyn acts like an ass.

It's all bullshit, and not patriotism.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Yeah buy a car flag made in china ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery

Offline Profile