All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
WTF is wrong with people?

Quote:
Lesbian Teen Sent To Decoy Prom While Other Kids Party At Real One(Link)
All the news had been good for Constance McMillen, who was supposed to bring her girlfriend to her school's privately sponsored prom on Friday. Except that prom was a decoy.

The Advocate writes,

McMillen tells The Advocate that a parent-organized prom happened behind her back - she and her date were sent to a Friday night event at a country club in Fulton, Miss., that attracted only five other students. Her school principal and teachers served as chaperones, but clearly there wasn't much to keep an eye on.

Making matters worse, McMillen's school may have ostracized disabled kids at the fake prom as well. The Advocate also says:

Two students with learning difficulties were among the seven people at the country club event, McMillen recalls. "They had the time of their lives," McMillen says. "That's the one good thing that come out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them [at their prom]."

McMillen continues to sound preternaturally wise and clear-headed, in a situation that would test anyone's faith in humanity. And if the allegations of a real prom held somewhere else are true, her classmates sound unworthy to go to school with her. Of the rumors of an alternate prom for the straight and able-bodied students at Itawamba Agricultural High, Gawker initially wrote, "this could all be untrue scuttlebutt, but we find it hard to believe that all those kids really wouldn't go to their big dance just because one girl and her date were there, unless they had another place to party that same night." And indeed, Facebook photos soon revealed that other kids from McMillen's school were at some prom Friday night, and there were more than seven people in attendance.

According to the blog of a Mississippi lawyer, the teens may have had help planning their fake-out. Tom Freeland writes that after the cancellation of the school's prom, parents set up an alternate — but they didn't want McMillen to attend. So they pretended to cancel their prom, but really moved it to a secret location. Even worse, Freeland writes, "there's a rumor that school officials were directly involved in setting up the 'fake' prom." It's not clear if this is true, or what, if any, involvement adults had in sending McMillen to a decoy prom, but it seems unlikely that a group of teenagers could have both organized and funded a last-minute secret prom on their own.

The fact that anyone was willing to go to such lengths to exclude and belittle a teenager is pretty terrifying — it seems that denying McMillen the right to dance with everyone else was worth quite a lot of money and hassle to the people of Itawamba County School District. And unless there's some other explanation for the sparse attendance at McMillen's prom, and the grinning Facebook photos at the other one, McMillen's school must suffer from a deeply toxic atmosphere. McMillen actually seems relatively undaunted by her continued persecution, but the students who excluded her will have to live with the memory that they brutally tricked a classmate simply because of the gender of her date. They'll grow up believing that any deviation from a heterosexual (and able-bodied) standard is cause for elaborate ostracism. I don't envy them.

THIS!!

That is so much bullshit. F#CKING backwards idiots.

Now, this hate group:
Westboro Baptist Church(Link)

Is getting more involved in spreading the hate.
Quote:
Bigots Now Targeting Lesbian Teen's Graduation(Link)
It apparently wasn't enough that Constance McMillen's school insulted her with a decoy prom. Now the Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket McMillen's graduation, protesting against homosexuality and "the biggest lie of all - that God loves everyone."

What the hell is wrong with people? I am not gay, but, I have friends that are, and some of them have better and happier relationships than straight people. This is just wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:15 PM 
I schooled the old school.

if that's true, that's really disgusting. I remember the court case when this was in the news before, but I didn't know about this "fake-prom," if it happened.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

It's pretty amazing. I will never understand this whole gay hate thing.

I'm just pissed I can't call people fags anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:47 PM 

I read through a lot of stuff over the last hour or so. This literally turns my stomach.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think the amazing part is the power of stupid people in groups. I am simply boggled by the fact that nobody, literally nobody, stood up and said "um, hey, maybe we're taking this a half-step too far."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:34 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I can't believe something like this hasn't seen significant national press, behavior like that on such a large scale should not be tolerated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Things like this will see more coverage eventally.

Unfortunately, the homosexual community is still looked down upon and because many people associate their distaste with their religious views, people have to tiptoe around it like we do with everything that has a religion label on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm inclined to think religion has less to do with it and it's more the fact that people will continue to hate anyone that's different. One need look no further than this example, where disabled kids were thrown out as well. I don't know how much high schoolers these days really think about religion, but it's safe to say this type of intolerance lasts well into adulthood where religion probably becomes even more of a factor - yet intolerance remains on both sides of the equation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
When you accept the idiocy that caused the initial prom to be canceled, this result is not all that hard to understand.

1. School cancels prom due to an evil lesbian will attend and potentially infect her classmates with her sexual preference.

2. Apparently School creates a new "Prom" at the local country club, with the Principal and teachers in attendance as chaperons. Attendance is dismal.

3. Some parents decide they'll throw a private "prom" so their kids don't lose out on such an event, and don't invite everyone. Perhaps the simplest reason of all is to keep the media from actually descending upon said event like the ravenous wolves they are. Parents, in general, will do things in the best interests of their own children, to a fault.

4. In the end, everyone went to a "prom", they just didn't go to the same one.

That said, if school officials had any hand in helping set up the private party, they should be disciplined. If not, who's to say who can and can't throw a party and be selective in the invitations? Was there a sign that said "straight couples only" outside the entrance to the private event?

Also, every child that went to the private prom had a choice to make. They could have chosen the official event over the private one ... maybe the girl in question, simply is "that one", the kid no one liked. I know they existed 30 years ago when I was in school and from what my kids tell me, they still do.

The fact that some kids were ostracized is sad, but really, it's not news.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:16 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
It isn't even that uncommon.

Quote:
Two gay teens, Jordan Nixon and his boyfriend Chase have been allowed to attend prom at Starmount High School in Booneville, NC after Jordan's mom Leesa heard how Chase had been told by the principal that he couldn't bring a "friend" to the prom. After explaining that Jordan was not a friend but a "boyfriend" the school still wouldn't relent.

Jordan's mom Leesa Nixon went to the principal, threatened to take action and go to the media, and quickly the issue was resolved.

This is the story of a great parent standing up for her gay kid and a school faced with the threat of exposing its discriminatory behavior.

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/04/gay-nc ... ps-in.html

The response?

Quote:
• starmountmom
North Wilkesboro, NC
Sunday Apr 18
I myself have a son who is a Senior at Starmount High. I really disagree with this and am now in the proces of trying to plan out an alternate plan to the prom. I have spoken with several parents and we all feel that if these two boys are allowed to go to prom that there may be trouble and we don’t want it to interfere with our children and their special night.

Quote:
• fed up
Jonesville, NC
Monday Apr 19
I am the parent of a student that will be a junior next year. There WILL be a PRIVATE prom next year for Starmount High students to attend by invitation only. The ballroom has already been reserved at a very nice hotel in the Elkin/Jonesville area and there will be a dj and all the catering and decorations. We will be contacting other parents if you’d like to help make this a truly special prom for your straight kids.I for one AM NOT too cowardly to stand up for what is RIGHT!

Quote:
• John
Mocksville, NC
Monday Apr 19
What the other students at Starmount High School should do is boycott the Prom. Let NO attend except these two. The school would be seen as caving in to the treat of being called into the ACLU. The mom in this instance, is looking for “attention” and publicity. It is common knowledge that she and her son plan to move to California after graduation this year. That is JUST the place to have these relationships.

Quote:
• Scam wrote:
It would be no different were it pedophiles, necrophiliacs,people who have sex with animals, showing up at the prom. Homosexuality is a sickness that no child should be exposed to. It certainly should not be taught that there is nothing wrong with it! Do you teach your children about the other perverted , degenerate things certain people CHOOSE to engage in? Sick world only being made sicker by telling sick people that they aren’t sick!

Quote:
• fed up wrote:
Lev 18:22 “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman;that is detestable.”
29 “Everyone who does these detestable things such persons must be cut off from their people.”
20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”
Rom 1;27 “In the same way the men also abandoned natural relationswith womenand were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselvesthe due penalty for their perversion.
32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
1Cor 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?Do not be deceived:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders.
NOW YOU TELL ME YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB AS A PARENT? YOU ARE SENDING YOUR CHILD TO HELL!!!!!

The various gay blogs have been following multiple stories, all echoing the Constance story to a T.

Kaedian wrote:
Quote:
Also, every child that went to the private prom had a choice to make. They could have chosen the official event over the private one

What is really sad? I don't think it is the kids at all. I think it is the parents. I think had Constance just been allowed to go to prom with her date and the parents hadn't been on such a "torch em all" rampage, the kids themselves wouldn't have cared. But when your parents are screaming bloody murder about it, staging a new prom, blah blah blah....I see very few kids actually not going along with their parents. They have to live with them, not Constance, after all and frequently depend on them for college.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:04 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I don't even know what to say about those people.

Generally I don't get riled up about very many things, but reading those comments made me feel sick. I don't really want to fall into their little hate-trap though, so I really try to keep my cool, but...man, it's not always easy.

And you're right, it's generally not the kids. A baby doesn't come out of the womb filled with hate. With any luck many of them will have the intellect and will to break free of their parents' hatred, but many of them won't and we'll just have another generation of this stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:33 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
NOW YOU TELL ME YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB AS A PARENT? YOU ARE SENDING YOUR CHILD TO HELL!!!!!

I love this one. As if, you know, the parents can rush off to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of Gay-b-gone and fix their kids right up. Ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:07 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Aren't they at school with these other kids every day the whole rest of the year anyway?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:08 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
*cut* Making the prom a strange place to bring up the whole 'corrupting their minds' angle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:29 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
Aren't they at school with these other kids every day the whole rest of the year anyway?

Exactly...and yet it is playing out this way over and over lately. I swear I've read about 5 in just the last 3 weeks, but I may be miscounting. It is the exact same script though, in each situation. gay kids are asking to be able to bring their dates and being allowed to with the result being other parents flip their lids and start promising to hold a straight only prom so their poor kids won't be infected with the gay.

It is mind boggling in its stupidity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:45 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Just for the record, I'm fine with someone fucking a sheep as long as I don't have to see it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Well it's prom season, now is when it's going to happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

I don't care what your sexual preference is as long as you leave KIDS alone, and respect those around you. (Public displays of affection, you know more than a peck or holding hands)

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Just for the record, I'm fine with someone fucking a sheep as long as I don't have to see it.

Orme, why bring Fribur into this? :P

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:11 AM 

Actually, Waring is the one who fucks sheep.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:05 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Yeah Yeah I know, but I'm going to say it anyway....

This is just another case of "Look at ME, I'm Gay!" HS Proms sell tickets to the prom, you pay for your ticket(s) and show up. There is no policy of "Write down who you are bringing so we can check them out before we give you a ticket."

All this drama-queen had to do was buy her tickets and show up with her date just like the kids who took dates from other schools do. Add into it that there are LOTS of kids who attend prom either Stag or with others of the same sex because they are friends. She could have done the same thing but instead wanted to make a big deal out of it.

This was simply a case of trying to get her 15min of fame and she got it. A school funded Prom with all the trimmings. The fact that the other kids chose to go somewhere else and pay for their own is nothing more than a Fuck-You to her and her drama bullshit.

Let the shit storm begin.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:14 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
As I understand it they refused to sell her tickets because she was openly gay, and they didn't want her attending prom with her girlfriend, which is a completely different issue than you're seeing, Khan

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 AM 

Negative Vana.

She was originally told that she could go but would be asked to leave if any of the other attendees complained. They also told her she could not wear a Mans Tux. Just like they would have any of the other girls if they asked.

Being the drama whore she is, she then filed a lawsuit to not only attend with her girlfriend, but to be able to wear a man's tux.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:19 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Xkhanx wrote:
Negative Vana.

She was originally told that she could go but would be asked to leave if any of the other attendees complained. They also told her she could not wear a Mans Tux. Just like they would have any of the other girls if they asked.

Being the drama whore she is, she then filed a lawsuit to not only attend with her girlfriend, but to be able to wear a man's tux.

I'm sorry, what's the problem here? She's a drama queen for wanting to dress like a man? Next time you go hunting, I'll be sure to identify the attire you need to wear and it will be something you'll absolutely hate, maybe a tutu. And best of all, I'll make it a condition of your hunting license, so I'll have the authority to enforce it.

But hey, that's not likely to happen to you, so why give a shit?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:18 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I thought about responding in a similar fashion, but I just decided to let Khan's ignorance speak for itself. Damn her for not wanting to wear a dress!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:54 PM 

Ignorance? On your party maybe. Typical knee-jerk reaction on all of your parts. The school didn't write the rules for the prom to single her out. Read up on the story, the real story and not the shit the gay rights websites are putting out there.

The school, back in Feb. Sent out the rules of the prom just like they had done every Feb for as long as the school has existed. She wanted to wear a Mans Tux. The rules state that females, and yes she is a female, have to wear women's attire if they want to be allowed admittance to the prom. Same thing would happen to a boy who showed up in a dress or a t-shirt that looks like a tux. No discrimination against her sexuality there. Just the same rule as it has been since the beginning of this and most schools existence. "You want to attend the prom, you follow these rules and you dress appropriately. They were no different for her than anyone else. Just because she is gay is no reason to have to change a damn thing.

Yet because she is gay, this has turned into a fucking gay rights circus. And it is really nothing more than some punk ass kid whining about how the rules that apply to everyone else shouldn't apply to her just because she is gay.

If you don't see that than you are just plain stupid.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think Khan's point (correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is hard to believe that the school 1) asked her who she was bringing and 2) asked her what she would be wearing.

Now, on the 1st question, they probably did; most schools have restrictions on who can & can't attend their prom mostly restricting ages. One female student who appeared on CNN was not allowed to have her brother, just returned from duty in Afghanistan, escort her to prom because he fell outside of the age restrictions.

On the 2nd question I really doubt they asked her the question at all. It would just be an odd question to ask so I tend to believe that she asked if it would be alright, which in a way is saying "Look at me I'm different & want to be sure everybody knows it".

If Khan's assumptions are correct, that the school asked neither question, then the question arises why did she simply show up at the prom with her girlfriend in her tux rather than asking for additional permissions?

If I am correct and the school asked one but not the other then the situation becomes a little more murky because I haven't seen the age of her girlfriend or whether she attended the same highschool etc.

If everyone else is correct and the school asked both questions then the school was simply in the wrong.

Edit after Khan's post:
Ahh Khan has more information than I. She wanted to be an exception to long-standing dress code rules. Sorry, but every school knows that as soon as you make one exception you will be inundated with requests for other exceptions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:09 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The Ballad of Gay Constance

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 PM 

A tux can be woman's attire.

You really think that if she wanted to wear a dress none of this would have happened? That all this bullshit is just about the tux? If that was the case, why did the courts rule otherwise?

And finally, everything I can find on the subject says that the school doesn't allow girls to wear tuxes, true, BUT also that the school bans same-sex dates at their proms (or at least, they used to). Don't leave that out, XKhanx. Could you show me where you got the idea that they did not ban same-sex couples? Could you explain how she won her court case it was really only about the tuxedo?

And if there is such a discriminatory rule like that in a school's handbook, I have to give major props to any kid willing to fight it. Martin Luther King was a drama whore too, I guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:41 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I am going to hold a school prom and say nobody is allowed to have an afro.... that should keep the blacks out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:57 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

It'd also keep out that white McDonald kid I went to school with, with his big ass white boy fro.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:12 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I ok with not making dress code exceptions, that's life in school. I think the horrible part is:

Khan wrote:
Quote:
She was originally told that she could go but would be asked to leave if any of the other attendees complained.

Who tells a kid they can go to the prom but if anyone complains they are there they will have to leave? I wouldn't be surprised if the girl added extra drama to this whole incident, but it certainly appears the parents and school had much, much more hand in the mishandling of this. What high school kid isn't attracted to drama anyway, that isn't something restricted to gay students. The adults should know better and handle themselves as role models, not hate mongers.

Look at some of those quotes Rugen posted...there is a lot of ignorance out there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:25 PM 

Well, if the Prom had dress codes saying the girls must ware formal Dresses and boys must ware tuxes then she must follow the rules (I remember our school saying that). Its really got nothing to do with her being gay it got everything to do with her wanting to be an attention whore..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:29 PM 

I still can't fathom the whole "the school's rules are and always were X, why make exceptions?!" logic. By this, schools that had colored water fountains should have retained them merely because they had been in place for a long enough time. At some point you have to admit that it's discrimination. No "exceptions" need to be made, merely the rules need to be changed in order to represent the fact that for homosexual couples, customary attire like a woman in a tux/suit has become acceptable/reasonable for such an occasion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 PM 

Venen wrote:
I still can't fathom the whole "the school's rules are and always were X, why make exceptions?!" logic. By this, schools that had colored water fountains should have retained them merely because they had been in place for a long enough time. At some point you have to admit that it's discrimination. No "exceptions" need to be made, merely the rules need to be changed in order to represent the fact that for homosexual couples, customary attire like a woman in a tux/suit has become acceptable/reasonable for such an occasion.

agreed most rules are for older times and times have changed, but until its changed its still the rule, and rules must be followed. If she wanted to potion the prom comity\school to change the dress code and they would not hear the potion that's different thing all together.

I don't see how saying that Girls must ware a formal dress and boys must ware a tuxes is discrimination, Formal events have always been that way, it a custom.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 PM 

I'm going to point out *again* that they also banned same sex couples from going. This isn't just about the clothing. Focus on the real issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

It's like banning head scarfs and saying "Muslims are welcome, they just have to violate their principles."

At the end of the day, she's probably a bit of a drama queen surrounded by bigots, with hilarity to follow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
Who tells a kid they can go to the prom but if anyone complains they are there they will have to leave? I wouldn't be surprised if the girl added extra drama to this whole incident, but it certainly appears the parents and school had much, much more hand in the mishandling of this. What high school kid isn't attracted to drama anyway, that isn't something restricted to gay students. The adults should know better and handle themselves as role models, not hate mongers.

Assuming all of this happens in a vacuum and she'd never had any issues at school whatsoever. The only thing like this that started shit at my school was a couple of girls kissing in the hall that got shit brought down on them. But then again they gave every couple shit for kissing in the hall. It wasn't much of a shocker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I am going to hold a school prom and say nobody is allowed to have an afro.... that should keep the blacks out.

Love it. =D

And Khan....Khan, Khan, Khan.... /sigh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:45 AM 

"I'm going to point out *again* that they also banned same sex couples from going. This isn't just about the clothing. Focus on the real issue."

Every Prom has groups of boys and groups of girls that attend the event instead of taking dates. Tell me how they get in if that's the case. Oh wait, they just show up with their tickets and dress appropriately now don't they.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I could just see Khan during the black civil rights movement...talking about how those drama queens should just use *their* water fountains, asking what's wrong with the back of the bus anyway, telling that King guy to stop trying to grab his 15 minutes of fame, and wishing they'd all stop "parading around" being so "openly black". =D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:23 AM 

Quote:
At the end of the day, she's probably a bit of a drama queen surrounded by bigots, with hilarity to follow.

This brings up a good point and probably the main reason they had their own prom somewhere else and she wasn't included. She got on the national media and called everyone in her town a bunch of bigots and backward hicks and berated them at every turn. After hearing that I can't really blame the PRIVATE citizens for not allowing her to attend the PRIVATE prom the parents paid for and put together for their kids. And I am pretty sure her parents didn't bother to kick into the kitty for it so if they didn't, tough shit. Another kicker is she didn't even take her girlfriend to the prom, the girls parents wouldn't let her attend. She just went with a friend.

One thing that everyone should be pissed about more than this girls karmic payback is the disabled kids getting thrown into this for no reason.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 AM 

Quote:
I could just see Khan during the black civil rights movement...talking about how those drama queens should just use *their* water fountains, asking what's wrong with the back of the bus anyway, telling that King guy to stop trying to grab his 15 minutes of fame, and wishing they'd all stop "parading around" being so "openly black".

Apples and Oranges Bovine, too bad you are too stupid to realize that.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Hateful intolerant idiots, aren't we all?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Apples and Oranges Bovine, too bad you are too stupid to realize that.

No, they're not. Sorry. Gay rights is one of the big civil rights issues of our time, and just because you want to minimalize it and pretend it's no big deal doesn't mean it isn't.

You have a very common theme in many of your posts, in topic like civil rights and economics...that being that "I'm a well-off middle class straight white male and everything is fine for me, so what's that [sick/poor/gay/female/minority] person's problem, why are they rocking the boat?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 AM 

That's only what you as a terminal underachiever read into it. And no, you are incorrect again. They aren't the same thing.

This isn't about gay rights in the least. Plain and simple, this is about rules that everyone regardless of sexual orientation is expected to and has followed concerning a voluntary function that if she wanted to attend and purchase a ticket for she must follow. She isn't being denied food, transportation or health care based on her sexuality. She, like all the other kids had a set of rules that they had to adhere to if they wanted to attend a school sponsored function. The school removed it's sponsorship and the parents paid out of pocket for another prom.

Now tell me they make her eat at a table away from the other kids or put her in classes with other gay folks (read:Segregate) like people did blacks prior to the late 60's and I am 100% on her side. But this is not even comparable and to associate this with the plight of real gay rights issues like health care, retirement accounts and work benefits for partners is ludicrous. If you want to see a real tragedy, go back a week or so on Tarot's facebook page and find the story about the two men who did everything to the letter of the law concerning PoAs and such and lost everything they had. Stuff like that is what people should be concerned with and put an end to. Not this little bitch's petty complaints.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
This isn't about gay rights in the least. Plain and simple, this is about rules that everyone regardless of sexual orientation is expected to and has followed concerning a voluntary function that if she wanted to attend and purchase a ticket for she must follow.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The school could have the same "rule" about no interracial couples, no muslims, etc etc...just because it's a "school rule" doesn't mean that we can't call it thinly veiled discriminatory bullshit.

Quote:
Stuff like that is what people should be concerned with and put an end to. Not this little bitch's petty complaints.

If this were one isolated incident, I might be inclined to agree with you. But it isn't. This is actually more common than we might believe, and it's terrible because it's an example of people discriminating against children because they believe they're too powerless to take action AND it's demonstrating to the other children that people in authority say it's OK to go ahead and behave that way...giving us another generation of this sort of nonsense.

Maybe it seems too small to be of any importance to you, but many times it's the small indignancies that end up getting people's attention.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

(hit reply too early, oops)

Quote:
If you want to see a real tragedy, go back a week or so on Tarot's facebook page and find the story about the two men who did everything to the letter of the law concerning PoAs and such and lost everything they had.

Yeah, and it's little things like this that pave the way to bigger things like that. It's important that we recognize this. A seat on the bus might not seem like a big deal compared to lynching a black man, but it really is important.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
find the story about the two men who did everything to the letter of the law concerning PoAs and such and lost everything they had.

http://www.nclrights.org/site/PageServe ... noma_et_al

for those interested. And yes, it is a HUGE issue.

And Khan, the court case testimony I read disagrees with your "she was told she could go with her date but only if she wore a dress"

Quote:
She said she knew the school had a prohibition against same-sex prom dates, so she asked permission from Assistant Principal Rick Mitchell and Principal Trae Wiygul to attend with her girlfriend.

She was told that she could go only if both the two women were accompanied by male dates, McMillen testified.

...snip for space ...

Quote:
Superintendent Teresa McNeece, Wiygul and school board Chairman Eddie Hood testified that they received a lot of angry e-mails in response to their no-prom decision.

McNeese also testified that the prom had become a distraction in classrooms, although Wiygul said that school had gone on as normal despite the looming issue about the prom.

Hood, who has been on the board for 18 years, said the district had its prohibition of same-sex prom dates for years. He said the rule was not intended to be anti-gay but to “try to keep a bunch of boys or a bunch of girls from getting together and making it a party and not a prom.”

You think the "well, we were going to let her go with her date, but she refused to wear a dress" thing might have come up in court.

Methinks you are confusing different issues. You're hung up on the dress code because it becomes easy to dismiss who you view as a drama queen, but the gay couple was ALWAYS the issue.

Quote:
Assistant Principal Rick Mitchell told Constance that while she wouldn't be allowed to attend prom with her girlfriend, she could go with "guys." Meanwhile, Superintendent Teresa McNeece, whom Constance all met with, said she and her girlfriend (also a Itawamba student) could both attend, albeit separately. Both would also have to wear dresses, McNeece said (according to Constance's statement), and would be prohibited from slow dancing with each other, 'cause that would just "push people's buttons."

Telling someone "Yes, you and your date can go separately, and you can't dance wth each other, but hey you will be at prom!" is not an issue of dress code. At all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Save your breath. You can't argue with hateful intolerant idiots.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:48 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Good thing they held that private prom so they wouldn't have to be subjected to two girls possibly dancing or kissing...oh...wait. ;)

(and in case it doesn't allow hotlinking)
http://www.queerty.com/wp/docs/2010/04/ ... 238923.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

From the case being quoted here:

Quote:
Tragically, county and health care workers instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital. The county then ultimately went one step further by isolating the couple from each other, placing the men in separate nursing homes.

Man, if my wife were sick and in the hospital and they told me I couldn't see her...I don't know if they'd have enough people to keep me out of there. That entire story is just insanity.

I hope they drop the hammer on that county. That's crazy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:56 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

Quote:
That entire story is just insanity.

And needs to be shown to ANYONE that makes the argument "Why do gays need the legal right to marry? they can mimic all those same rights with just a good lawyer!"

Your legal documents are only as good as the people that decide to respect them, since they aren't REQUIRED to respect them by law.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

that last statement makes no sense because it is very very late here for me and I should just quit typing and go to sleep.

I just get really worked up every time I think about that case and how all those country officials absolutely raped that couple in what should have been the golden twilight of their lives.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 AM 

Quote:
and it's terrible because it's an example of people discriminating against children because they believe they're too powerless to take action AND it's demonstrating to the other children that people in authority say it's OK to go ahead and behave that way...giving us another generation of this sort of nonsense.

I would agree with your statement if she hadn't went on national television and called her entire town a bunch of bigots and backwoods hicks. I would bet that the parents, up until they heard this were right on track to provide a Prom that she could attend and after having heard her belittle them and call them names thought "Well OK Missy, Go Fuck Yourself". But we won't know the chain of events until the court case and I may be wrong. Either way, you don't go on national TV and act like a pompous ass and then expect everyone to bow down to your demands. People in general respond to derogatory comments and the parents responded the only way they could. They gave her HER Prom and held their own dance somewhere else. Don't expect to get patted on the back from the people you just belittled on National TV.

Agreed Rugen. It was a travesty and I cannot believe it didn't make a bigger splash than this prom bullshit.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

A couple things about those points:

1) On a personal level, I might think the girl is a bitch. I don't know, I don't follow the entire thing that closely to get any feel for her personality. But even if she's the earth's biggest bitch, it doesn't invalidate the overarching issue at hand. This isn't the only instance of this happening, and honestly the fact that she's playing the squeaky wheel may end up helping a lot of other people, regardless of how it makes her look personally.

2) Ideally, I would like to think that school administrators and adults would hold themselves to a slightly higher standard than to play the "Nana nana boo boo" game with a student/child who hurt their feelings with some meanie words. Like you though, I haven't followed the chain of events closely enough to say which came first. But either way, even if the gay issue wasn't in play at all, I'd hope that a school would want to play the "bigger person" role, not retaliate like a child against a student.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:30 PM 

XKhanx continues to ignore the fact that it was her sexual orientation that made her unable to go, not whether or not she wore a dress. It makes everything more convenient for him I guess.

And aren't you the one that made a big stink at the school your son was attending because you didn't agree with their policies? Back then it wasn't drama whoring, it was teaching your son to be a badass and stand up for himself, as I remember it. But this? Oh no, this is a RULE and it must be FOLLOWED and she is a OMFG DRAMA WHORE for speaking up about it!

Your hypocrisy is astonishing. Your blindness to your hypocrisy is even more astonishing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:06 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Khan and everyone, bottom line is this:

You either recognize homosexuals as an identifiable group that can be discriminated against, or you don't. That is the question at the core of the debate.

I think everyone agrees that lynching was a bigger concern for blacks than sitting at the back of the bus. However, sitting at the back of the bus was one of the dehumanizing factors that legitimized lyching.

So - gay legal rights is probably a bigger concern than a lesbian at a prom. However, the degradation of forcing her out of the prom empowers people to deny homosexuals fundamental American rights - such as marriage.

Ok... I'm done. I care, but not all that much.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 AM 

I'd usually say it's commendable to stick to your guns when there's overwhelming disagreement with your position, but in this instance Khan I think it's safe to say that regardless of whether or not this girl was trying to be an attention whore, she and others were still discriminated against. If you have an inherent trait which you have no control over that makes you different and there are rules in place which prohibit you from engaging in basic activities everyone else is able to participate in, that is discrimination. Plain and simple.

Orme is correct here. If you give hateful people an inch, they'll take a mile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 PM 

Quote:
And aren't you the one that made a big stink at the school your son was attending because you didn't agree with their policies? Back then it wasn't drama whoring, it was teaching your son to be a badass and stand up for himself, as I remember it. But this? Oh no, this is a RULE and it must be FOLLOWED and she is a OMFG DRAMA WHORE for speaking up about it!

Your hypocrisy is astonishing. Your blindness to your hypocrisy is even more astonishing.

Fuck you Fribur, He wasn't walking around school picking fights, he was attacked 2X, one of them from behind. How you feel about that is up to you. We already know you're a big pussy and would take any ass-whipping that anyone chose to put on you. Just don't expect everyone else in the world to be as spineless as you are.

And you still don't get it do you dumb-ass. I hope all the teachers at your school aren't as stupid as you seem to be. She was allowed to go you fucking moron. No one ever said she could not attend, yet you still seem to think that she was banned for being gay. She wasn't banned from anything.

Learn to comprehend what you read you fucking waist of sperm.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 PM 

Quote:
I think everyone agrees that lynching was a bigger concern for blacks than sitting at the back of the bus. However, sitting at the back of the bus was one of the dehumanizing factors that legitimized lyching.

So - gay legal rights is probably a bigger concern than a lesbian at a prom. However, the degradation of forcing her out of the prom empowers people to deny homosexuals fundamental American rights - such as marriage.
Really good point.

Offline Profile