It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:25 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I apologize; I haven't read these articles in a while, and I thought you were referring to Khan's, "they won't let same-sex dates in because then they would drink more alcohol illegally" brand of bullshit :p .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Wasn't MY bullshit. It was the schools and It's a matter of court record. Don't act like I just pulled it out of thin air.

Regardless of what you think, the rule wasn't put there solely to deny her access to the prom. How you ever came up with that and why you keep saying it as fact is beyond me.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

"We didn't institute that rule to keep blacks off the bus, we did it to keep people from having unsightly Schlitz Malt Liquor bottles in plain sight."

I'm amazed you still don't see how dumb your constant dodging around sounds, Khan. Really.

Also, I still haven't seen you really address a lot of the quotes and snippets that Fribur posted. You keep going off about people "misrepresenting" things, but if anything it seems like you're the one who developed a preconceived notion and are now ignoring what other people present.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Yes, Venen, I do see a real difference between an act of defiance towards an unjust law and a publicity stunt because you may be discriminated against by a rule that wasn't even put in place to discriminate against you.

One takes courage and the other just takes a desire for your 15 minutes.

Bovinity's analogy succinctly addresses the rule supposedly not being there to discriminate against her in the first place.. That just seems silly. With regard to whether a publicity stunt takes courage or simply a desire for a small amount of fame, the latter at the very least would require you to actually know one's intentions. I would argue that under some circumstances, a big publicity stunt is a mean by which to get a message out on a much broader scale. If someone were to do that purely on motivation to make a good difference and change rules/laws, I fail to see how that would be a bad thing.

Does it matter if a particular action takes courage in order to affect change? Perhaps a stronger motivator for weak-minded individuals to grasp onto as they see an oppressed people being courageous, but other than that I can find no specific reasoning.

Course, one could also argue that for a person that prefers to remain very private, to stay out of the spotlight, is very introverted and prefers to keep social interaction at a distance - it could be suggested that takes a significant amount of courage for said individual. But, since we're making assumptions about the girl here....

Offline Profile