It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I do not smoke, BUt....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

.......I think this is going a bit too far.
Quote:
Ohio hospital system says it won't hire smokers

The Associated Press
Updated 4:34 PM Tuesday, February 16, 2010

AKRON, Ohio — A northeast Ohio hospital system has joined the ranks of companies that will no longer hire smokers.

Akron-based Summa Health Systems launched a nicotine-free hiring policy this year for all new employees.

People applying to work for Summa must agree to a urine test to confirm they don't use tobacco products.

The policy doesn't affect current employees at the six-hospital system.

Other hospital and health care systems have also stopped hiring smokers, including the Cleveland Clinic and Medical Mutual of Ohio.

___

Information from: Akron Beacon Journal, http://www.ohio.com

___

We have a local Hospital here in New London, Connecticut, Lawrence and Memorial. There is no smoking allowed anyplace on the hospital site. To me, thats fine, and within their rights. You see nurses and other workers all the time on the sidewalk garbbing a smoke.

As far as health care costs, maybe offer a discount for non smokers.

But this is going a bit too far in my humble opinion.

Whats next? You might get fat so your not allowed to have a twinkie?

For the record, I hate smoking, think it is just nasty, and do not understand why anyone in this day and age would start doing it. But, I am not going to judge you if you do do it, just do not do it around me. Not being aslllowed to work if you smoke is just over the top.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
They are probably more concerned with smoke breaks and the cost of cleaning up the sidewalks than the workers health. It doesn't sound legal though, my guess is this will be challenged in court before too long.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I'd be surprised if it's not challenged.

Our medical campus is also starting a no smoking policy (and I can't wait, honestly), but refusing to hire someone because of something entirely legal that they do offsite seems suspect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that employers can discriminate as they wish, as long as it isn't based on the specifically protected stereotypes (gender, race, etc.) .

For example, a church is free to not hire a homosexual to be an employee, even if the homosexual doesn't do any homosexual acts on the property. I'm not commenting on the correctness of this-- just explaining my understanding of law as it exists today.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:19 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
I am thinking my raiding guild should adopt a no smoking policy too!

Frigging smokers running out for a smoke break in the middle of a raid!~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
five minute bio/smoke breaks between wings work for taboo!

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
The rules are different if you accept Government funds.

Also I think regarding the church thing they cannot discriminate for non-church related functions (i.e. groundskeeper, organ player, etc.) but can freely not have homosexual pastors. And they can set rules for conduct on the grounds of course, but must equally apply them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 PM 

Again I'm not a lawyer and I'm not certain, but my impression is that it is much more loose.

It seems to me that an employer could not hire someone for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with the job. Maybe he doesn't like earrings, or people who skydive...

Am I wrong?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Smokers are not a protected group.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:55 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

They can, but the person can also sue them. The only way they'd have no recourse is if smoking directly affects their job. For instance, if they worked with asthmatics or in a burn ward.

Usually it's not enforced because the employer can make up other reasons. In this case, it's directly spelled out. It can and should be challenged, same as a ban on fat people or vegans should be.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:00 PM 

I'm not sure what I think about this. I'm also still not sure what is actually spelled out as legal or illegal in current law.

I should know too, as I took a class on the subject. Sadly, most of it I no longer remember :/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I should caveat that I'm speaking for what I know of government funded organizations. Private may well be different, but (most) hospitals fall under the government umbrella due to their funding and acceptance of government aid programs.

We have to endure 6 hours of this mind-numbing training stuff yearly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Private Clubs(bars) can evade public smoking bans. Just because they welcome guests doesn't mean they're a bar/restaurant.

If an employer wants to do it that's one thing, but I'm getting tired of the nanny state bullshit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Fuck smokers, and fuck turning this forum into Fark.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Drajeck wrote:
It doesn't sound legal though, my guess is this will be challenged in court before too long.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Fuck smokers, and fuck turning this forum into Fark.

Agreed on the fark thing, and I also agree on the smokers' protection. I smoke, but I don't expect to get any kind of special protection because of it. The issue in question I'm not wild about, and I'm sure it won't stick, but I'll gladly go outside in 20-degree weather at some bars to burn one. I'll deal with it, because I don't want to inconvenience someone else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 AM 

Shit like this should worry more then just smokers'... fat people are next.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Oh yea, then blondes! Please.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 AM 

there are already companies in japan that refuse to hire people over a certain weight =b

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
Sadly employers have been challenged on not allowing employees to smoke even at home. And have won the court cases to boot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm a fan of freedom and free enterprise. No one's forcing people to become an employee of any particular company or buy their products. If you don't like a company's methods, there's an easy way to solve the problem - don't work for them, and don't buy their stuff. If enough people do it, they're gone, and freedom for everyone involved(including the company and every other individual) prevails.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
I'm a fan of freedom and free enterprise. No one's forcing people to become an employee of any particular company or buy their products. If you don't like a company's methods, there's an easy way to solve the problem - don't work for them, and don't buy their stuff. If enough people do it, they're gone, and freedom for everyone involved(including the company and every other individual) prevails.

1) Unless the company is cool enough to qualify for a bailout! Freedom schmeedom, those executives can't go hungry - no matter how much the people speak with their dollar!

2) That freedom is all well and good for not hiring people, but to just up and create a new policy regarding peoples' activity at home and then use that to fire them...that really sucks. (If this allows them to do that.)

That said, I'm still all for businesses being able to hire who they want. I just also hate how they think that our personal lives are their business. I guess there's a fine line there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:03 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Nevermind. I'm dumb. Just read the red-colored text and totally managed to skip over the part that said, "The policy doesn't affect current employees at the six-hospital system."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 AM 

Can an actor playing the part of an anorexic go home and eat 5 cheeseburgers? Zomg private life? I know, not the perfect example since it is an actual part of the job description slightly unlike the situation here, but it's still his "private life" being affected by the job. Plenty of examples where this happens from time to time.

I just don't see the problem since people have the option of choosing to accept the job or not. No one's being forced to do it. I'd prefer businesses have the freedom to choose whoever they want and have them do whatever they want - in other words, whatever THEY view as something that is worth pay. If someone wants to pay me to go to my private home and do jumping jacks while patting myself on the head for 2 hours and only eat crackerjacks for the rest of the day, and I see it right there in the job description, what's the big deal?

Sucks? Well, I guess so, but no worse than any of the lousier jobs this world has to offer anyway. Not sure why that would have legal ramifications =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
If someone wants to pay me to go to my private home and do jumping jacks while patting myself on the head for 2 hours and only eat crackerjacks for the rest of the day, and I see it right there in the job description, what's the big deal?

Because there has to be a line somewhere. Otherwise employers will just keep pushing those boundaries and crossing those lines and the more we accept it under "freedom!" the more it'll become accepted and widespread and ultimately - though not perpetrated by the government - infringing on the freedoms of the individual.

You can say, "Oh, well, just don't work at THAT place." but if we just let it become more and more accepted, it won't just be "that place". It'll be EVERY place. Heck, there's a reason why the current anti-discrimination laws exist...because without some protection for the individual, you'd probably see truckloads of women, blacks, and seniors shipped off to the unemployment office.

This is why things like unions were formed in the first place...to try to prevent businesses from abusing the extreme amount of power they already have over their employees. And yes, don't kid yourself, they do have it. Especially in a climate like this.

Quote:
I'd prefer businesses have the freedom to choose whoever they want and have them do whatever they want - in other words, whatever THEY view as something that is worth pay.

Yes, they do have that freedom. They can pay whatever they want for whatever work they want. But that has nothing to do with an employer saying, "Hey, don't have doggie style sex with your wife at home or you're done."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Better business making the call then government.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:39 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Is there a reason why, or are you reciting rhetoric? One of the primary functions of our Constitution and our government is to protect the minority from the majority and the weak from the powerful.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:56 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Yep because bussiness is what makes people healthy. Screw regulation and saftey =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:09 PM 

Quote:
You can say, "Oh, well, just don't work at THAT place." but if we just let it become more and more accepted, it won't just be "that place". It'll be EVERY place. Heck, there's a reason why the current anti-discrimination laws exist...because without some protection for the individual, you'd probably see truckloads of women, blacks, and seniors shipped off to the unemployment office.

This is why things like unions were formed in the first place...to try to prevent businesses from abusing the extreme amount of power they already have over their employees. And yes, don't kid yourself, they do have it. Especially in a climate like this.

Well... Slippery slope aside, two key words here: if we just "let it". The people hold the power until they decide to hand it over. Consumers hold the power not to buy anything. Potential employees hold the power not to join their ranks. Just because many people are stupid and don't use that power properly doesn't mean businesses shouldn't be entitled to free choice. By that standard, everything under the sun should be government regulated to protect us from ourselves, and by that point you have effectively doubled back on the true intention of a free enterprise and a free peoples.

Is there a point in society's growth where we can finally allow free choice and REAL free enterprise to thrive instead of holding everyone's hand "just in case everyone makes the wrong decision"? I just don't understand why society needs to be coddled just because WE decided to empower corporations by our own will.

If anything, maybe we would learn a lesson or two instead of running to the government every time we get ourselves into our own fix.

Even with that said, I'd say it's fairly far-fetched to suggest that we would actually get to the point where a massive number of businesses would have intrusive employee policies. People will generally allow society to go in pretty stupid directions, but I just don't think enough people would be very willing to go along with it. As an example, it's not as if in this day in age we really need the government to tell businesses not to use hiring practices that racially discriminate. Not only would people boycott the everliving shit out of them, but they'd effectively make themselves big targets(legal and otherwise), and they won't be getting much top talent for job positions for damned sure.

Society CAN occasionally be pretty good at regulating itself... but frankly, if they don't do a good job of it, it's not the government's call to overturn the will of the people even if they decide at their own expense. It's better than them getting involved in a situation that should be between two parties: Consumers, and businesses.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Venen wrote:
Well... Slippery slope aside, two key words here: if we just "let it". The people hold the power until they decide to hand it over. Consumers hold the power not to buy anything. Potential employees hold the power not to join their ranks. Just because many people are stupid and don't use that power properly doesn't mean businesses shouldn't be entitled to free choice. By that standard, everything under the sun should be government regulated to protect us from ourselves, and by that point you have effectively doubled back on the true intention of a free enterprise and a free peoples.
It's one thing to protect a person from themselves (we shouldn't in most cases), and another entirely to protect a person from someone else (we absolutely should).

If a potential employer is attempting to render someone unemployable for something that in no way hinders their job performance, government should absolutely step in just as they would for the deaf person who wants to do a job that only requires good visual observation.

You absolutely have to consider a slippery slope when making those decisions, because by allowing one company to engage in that behavior, you have also allowed every other company to do the same. It's nothing at all like the slippery slope bullshit that is used for gay marriage, drug legalization, etc.

Venen wrote:
Is there a point in society's growth where we can finally allow free choice and REAL free enterprise to thrive instead of holding everyone's hand "just in case everyone makes the wrong decision"? I just don't understand why society needs to be coddled just because WE decided to empower corporations by our own will.
No, that point doesn't exist and never will because we, as individuals and as a group, don't give a shit about others. Because of that, we require government to step in and make sure that we don't go around helping ourselves at everyone else's expense.

You can make all the bad decisions on your own behalf that you want to, but generally you're not allowed to make bad decisions that are going to negatively impact me.

Venen wrote:
If anything, maybe we would learn a lesson or two instead of running to the government every time we get ourselves into our own fix.
Because fucking other people over so that we *might* learn a lesson is such a great idea. Especially when you take into the numerous mistakes that we tend to make over and over again without ever actually learning. Instead, we say the decision was sound, but that other factors screwed it up.

Venen wrote:
Even with that said, I'd say it's fairly far-fetched to suggest that we would actually get to the point where a massive number of businesses would have intrusive employee policies. People will generally allow society to go in pretty stupid directions, but I just don't think enough people would be very willing to go along with it. As an example, it's not as if in this day in age we really need the government to tell businesses not to use hiring practices that racially discriminate. Not only would people boycott the everliving shit out of them, but they'd effectively make themselves big targets(legal and otherwise), and they won't be getting much top talent for job positions for damned sure.
It doesn't matter whether the business will change their hiring practices en masse, it matters whether or not that is even a valid option.

Don't think for a second that if we allowed employers to discriminate based on gender and race, that none would do it. They absolutely would. Racism and sexism is alive and well in America today. Sure people would boycott, but others would happily continue purchasing from them because they're closer, cheaper, like-minded, whatever.

Venen wrote:
Society CAN occasionally be pretty good at regulating itself... but frankly, if they don't do a good job of it, it's not the government's call to overturn the will of the people even if they decide at their own expense. It's better than them getting involved in a situation that should be between two parties: Consumers, and businesses.
It can? Can you think of an example where society has actually regulated itself to the people's benefit without government mandate? Go ahead and think about it, I've got time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Quote:

Except people choose to smoke. People don't choose to be black / be a woman or old. Well you can chose to be a woman but you have to pay for the operation I guess...

Business should be able to choose to hire non-smokers if they desire. If people can't stop smoking it's their own fucking problem.

In Ontario when you are in a car with kids under 16 you can't smoke. If you do you can get a ticket. One step at a time. Maybe one day we'll get rid of all smokers =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:22 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Well... Slippery slope aside, two key words here: if we just "let it". The people hold the power until they decide to hand it over.

Quote:
Maybe one day we'll get rid of all smokers =)

See, this is the problem. You can talk about "society regulating itself" but what happens is some demographic becomes "okay" to hate and everyone is on board with it so people get away with it.

It wasn't that long ago that it was blacks. It was ok to discriminate against blacks, so society didn't regulate itself for a very long time and it was a tremendous failure of our entire society.

Today, it's gays. Smokers too are a demographic that's becoming "okay" to hate. So society doesn't regulate a thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:17 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

So political stances and affiliations should also be a valid reason to not hire someone? How about choosing to fuck someone of the same gender or difference race, being fat? There are a whole lot of choices that a business could decide warranted not hiring someone that have absolutely nothing to do with job performance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Worthy, find me a study of how many people in the 20-30 age range smoke compared to the 30-40 age range. Just got back from a comedy club and was amazed at how many people were standing outside smoking who were 25-ish. Seriously - 25 year olds are smoking now? I mean who exactly is lighting up and making a point to get hooked?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 PM 

Should an employer be forced to hire someone, then, Devyn, even if they don't like them? Isn't the employer an individual with rights too?

I actually pretty much agree with you, but I do have this hangup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:43 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:
Should an employer be forced to hire someone, then, Devyn, even if they don't like them? Isn't the employer an individual with rights too?
Absolutely not. A conflict of personalities has a direct effect on job performance and the work environment (which is ultimately where I currently think the line should be drawn).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 PM 

Well then, what if I'm the employer and I just don't like black people, or homosexuals, or fat people, or whatever? We're definitely going to have personality conflicts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:21 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

That would pretty clearly not be a personality conflict.

You're not going to get a perfect solution. You have to find a mix between protecting individuals and leaving as much room as reasonably possible for employers to find the best people for their business. Yes it can be abused, but there is no preventing that. You can only punish the abusers after the fact.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Leolan wrote:
I'd be surprised if it's not challenged.

Our medical campus is also starting a no smoking policy (and I can't wait, honestly), but refusing to hire someone because of something entirely legal that they do offsite seems suspect.
Really, it all comes down to proving there is a legit business reason - companies do this all the time.

In my job, I would be put on probation and subject to audit if my credit score dropped below 650. Also, I am pretty sure if I showed up in a porno, I would be let go.

If I am running a health service company, I don't know if I have a problem with them saying "no smoking". I also wouldn't necessarily have a problem with them prohibiting alcohol and setting weight limits. It always irritates me when I see nurses in their scrubs who look like wrapped hams.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Because shit the government does doesn't get undone. It's never temporary. All across the country local and state governments have declared war on smokers(the truly stupid part is all the stuff they've been funding with tobacco taxes that drying us as people quit). In some places the nanny state has started in on fat people. I'd much rather see government have less of a direct impact on our day to day lives.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:19 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

You don't like overweight people, so they should have a harder time finding work?

What is wrong with people that makes them think it's ok to turn bias into genuine real world discrimination?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Because shit the government does doesn't get undone. It's never temporary. All across the country local and state governments have declared war on smokers(the truly stupid part is all the stuff they've been funding with tobacco taxes that drying us as people quit). In some places the nanny state has started in on fat people. I'd much rather see government have less of a direct impact on our day to day lives.

You have it backwards here. People aren't talking about government coming down on people, they're talking about government ultimately having to be the party that steps in when people are being discriminated against.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:00 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I was answering someone, I've already stated my thoughts. Why would the government step in? Federal, state, and local governments have been discriminating against smokers for years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 PM 

Quote:
It's one thing to protect a person from themselves (we shouldn't in most cases), and another entirely to protect a person from someone else (we absolutely should).

If a potential employer is attempting to render someone unemployable for something that in no way hinders their job performance, government should absolutely step in just as they would for the deaf person who wants to do a job that only requires good visual observation.

You absolutely have to consider a slippery slope when making those decisions, because by allowing one company to engage in that behavior, you have also allowed every other company to do the same. It's nothing at all like the slippery slope bullshit that is used for gay marriage, drug legalization, etc.

The question is whether any particular right is being trampled on BY someone else. If I pay for someone to cut me, should I be protected by big daddy? By supporting big corporations to become bigger, I don't see how that's much different. We have agreed to the terms, and given the money over willingly. The government is still protecting us primarily from ourselves, because we hold the power and we(as a society) made the decisions. If some outside entity made a big corporation big - then ok, maybe.

I still don't see why job performace should be the only thing that people can decide to reject someone on. It should be a free choice for someone to hire. I mean it's that person's business, they created it, they could destroy it in an instant if it came down to it... but they have to be told that they MUST hire someone? That just makes no sense to me.

What's more, job performance is a very broad topic. Fribur brought up an excellent point - you suggested that someone being a hater on blacks or homosexuals would not be a "personality conflict" - maybe not by that definition, but it COULD potentially affect the company's performance if everyone in the business is a bigot. Obviously the problem is with the workers, not the potential hire in that situation - but why would a company need to kick itself in the ass like that if it came to that point? I believe they should have the right to do so on account of productivity(and whatever a company views that THAT word entails), even if they are prejudiced losers.

Well with regard to the slippery slope obviously all corporations would be allowed to do such - however, the conclusion seems to be that BECAUSE they are allowed to do it, then ALL companies will do it. I don't draw that conclusion, personally. I believe certainly some would try, but I don't think it would be the norm because I think the backlash would be too strong and they'd simply run themselves out of business by shunning customers and potentially great employees.

Quote:
No, that point doesn't exist and never will because we, as individuals and as a group, don't give a shit about others. Because of that, we require government to step in and make sure that we don't go around helping ourselves at everyone else's expense.

You can make all the bad decisions on your own behalf that you want to, but generally you're not allowed to make bad decisions that are going to negatively impact me.

Society as a whole makes bad decisions every day that will eventually impact you, yet government does not intervene and rightfully so. There are some things that we willingly sign onto as a society - not as individuals - but individuals still pay the price for those decisions. The majority of people being lazy workers? Nope, not a damned thing we can do about that, and there's no reason for government to step in to "protect" the individuals that may be hard workers that suffer as a result. The bad decisions we make on our "own behalf" most of the time have an affect on others, that's just life.

Most of them, of course, are indirect. If someone attacks you, that's direct and a direct infringement of your rights. If people collectively decide that they want corporations to run their lives and they submit to it and keep paying them, that's indirect. There are naturally some laws that cannot be overruled by the majority and the minority must be protected, but making big business big is not one of them.

Quote:
Because fucking other people over so that we *might* learn a lesson is such a great idea. Especially when you take into the numerous mistakes that we tend to make over and over again without ever actually learning. Instead, we say the decision was sound, but that other factors screwed it up.

Unfortunately that's sometimes what it takes for society to learn. Fascism and communism fucked over too many to count, but we ended up rejecting them not when we learned of them in concept, but when we saw them in action. Fortunately in this situation, millions of people need not die over realizing that keeping huge corporations in constant power is a bad thing. I would prefer in this situation that shape our own destiny rather than be handheld through it. We are definitely doomed to repeat mistakes if we have less from history to glean lessons from. By handholding to avoid these decisions that were already made by the people, we have sustained ignorance. "Government will bail me out when I fuck up" will simply remain in the subconscious.

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the business will change their hiring practices en masse, it matters whether or not that is even a valid option.

Don't think for a second that if we allowed employers to discriminate based on gender and race, that none would do it. They absolutely would. Racism and sexism is alive and well in America today. Sure people would boycott, but others would happily continue purchasing from them because they're closer, cheaper, like-minded, whatever.

Per what I said above about the slippery slope, I just don't see that happening nearly as much in this day and age. A racist organization probably wouldn't last too long, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the possibility of anti-homosexual(and sexist) policies taking root more often. I still think there's a large enough crowd of rational people that aren't bigots that the political firestorm resulting from either of those policies would be enough to knock them down. I just don't think the "sky is falling" scenario is very likely.

Quote:
It can? Can you think of an example where society has actually regulated itself to the people's benefit without government mandate? Go ahead and think about it, I've got time.

I think you're right in that there aren't many obvious examples. However I would still suggest things like the fact that we have made significant progress with regard to racism in the past 50 years - I believe most of that is due to our OWN regulation rather than the government forcing people to hire workers and so forth. There were very large movements and boycotts that took place which encouraged change at a faster pace, and grassroots organizations popped up all over the place to combat racism.

I'd also point to our political system - as innately and horribly flawed as it is, frankly I am intrigued by the fact that we still have a 2-party system as opposed to a 1-party system. It seems to me that there should be a high likelihood of one party eventually attaining enough power to dominate the competition, but that has not been the case and both parties have maintained a relative equilibrium throughout the years. Even with our population, voting has come down to the wire in many a circumstance. It's not a lot, but it's one example of where we haven't completely signed off something that benefits us - and of our own will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly for anarchy here, but I think there's a distinctive line when you start to tell businesses that they cannot hire who they choose. We should be able to choose who we want to give our money to in exchange for a service or work, especially since it's our property in the first place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:13 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen, you definitely lose this thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
You don't like overweight people, so they should have a harder time finding work?

What is wrong with people that makes them think it's ok to turn bias into genuine real world discrimination?
We discriminate every day, it's legal, and it's good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:33 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Bovinity Divinity wrote:

If that's true, and you believe it, then pray you never interview with me ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

It's "good" until it's you being penalized because some idiot has a bias against something about you.

It's "good" until you become the "ok-to-hate" group in society and you spend years or even decades under that shroud.

But yeah, enjoy your stay on your pedestal you straight white male, you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 AM 

I decided to drink purple instead of orange soda today with careful discrimination. Upon further discrimination, I decided to wear dark blue today. I discriminated against the bank teller on the left because he yelled at a customer and instead chose the right one.

rawr

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
If we ever could get to "the most qualified candidate" for the job based on the actual requirements of the job then you could more easily bring a discrimination case against an employer. Yes, I know that managers write the qualifications for many jobs to match the qualifications for certain people that they want. But in general, if you have job XYZ that has a listing of requirements. If a person matches them, is not hired, and a person of lesser qualifications is hired then you could have grounds for a discrimination suit - regardless of race, creed, religion, sex, height, weight, hair color, or preference in clothing accessories.

But I live in a dream world

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

It's "good" until it's you being penalized because some idiot has a bias against something about you.

It's "good" until you become the "ok-to-hate" group in society and you spend years or even decades under that shroud.

But yeah, enjoy your stay on your pedestal you straight white male, you.
God you're easy to bait.

We discriminate against stupid people.
We discriminate against mean people.

Need me to keep listing them? Those are good things.

If the health care profession wants to discriminate against people who intentionally destroy their health, it's a good thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It's sad that you still don't understand the difference between disliking someone and discriminating against them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

It's sad you champion something when covered in cluelessness.

Discrimination in its negative sense means to take action against someone for something that has no merit. Disciminating against blacks, gays, etc - that's bad.

Discriminating against people for their negative choices... such as sucking on cancer sticks as a health care professional... not so much.

Maybe you should look up skycrasher and go to law school with him so you can understand what a "protected group" is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

But when you start deciding what is a "negative choice" you start discriminating in a "bad way." Who's to say someone else wouldn't use that same exact argument and include homosexuality alongside smoking, as a negative choice?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:14 AM 

sexual orientation, last I checked, was a protected group ;p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Whatever, then change it to social drinking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:35 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
It's sad you champion something when covered in cluelessness.

Discrimination in its negative sense means to take action against someone for something that has no merit. Disciminating against blacks, gays, etc - that's bad.

Discriminating against people for their negative choices... such as sucking on cancer sticks as a health care professional... not so much.

Maybe you should look up skycrasher and go to law school with him so you can understand what a "protected group" is.

You still seem to be working under some strange assumptions.

One, you seem to be thinking that discrimination is cool as long as there's no law against it? Your "protected group" comment sure seems to suggest that, though I'd hate to jump to that conclusion.

Second, you seem to think that discrimination is cool as long as it's "their fault" that they're being discriminated against. Or if they "deserve it". You can talk about bad choices and such all you want, it doesn't change much, you're just prettying up the presentation, you're still saying it's "their fault".

Most of what you call "bad choices" have no merit either. Religion is a choice too, who gets to decide if that's a "bad choice" or not? You, apparently.

So we're still left with you thinking that it's cool to discriminate against someone if they do or think something that you personally disapprove of and as long as there's no law against it. Gotcha.

Also, you keep trying to draw some line between "health care" and "unhealty habits" as if there's some relevance there. So should we start screening what doctors and nurses eat? Woah, too many burgers this week Fred, here's your walking papers. Hey, Linda, you skipped out on the gym one too many times this month, you're outta here.

It's worth noting that I don't like smoking, either. But I have the sense to realize that me not liking something doesn't mean I should discriminate against people who do that thing. It's a really important distinction and it's a shame that so many people fail to understand it. We'd be so much further ahead if folks understood the difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

To my knowledge it is not, except for a few states.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:38 PM 

Bovinity, every time you choose one candidate over another for a job, you are discriminating between the candidates. It's not automatically bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Picking someone more qualified is not the same thing. Don't get stupid.

Offline Profile