It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:33 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rave: You!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 PM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

I'm gonna try to keep this brief. I just have to say I find it incredible how intelligent the people are on these forums.

I read the political section a lot, and as a conservative I'm definately of a differing opinion than most of you. That being said, I still love how for the most part you guys can debate with so much intensity and passion, without losing focus of the facts. I have learned a lot just by "listening" to the different perspectives here.

As I'm sure quite a few of you remember, listening was not one of my strong suits, lol. I tended to let my mouth run, (or fingers) and my brain was often a few steps behind. I don't see a lot of that here, and find it refreshing to say the least.

One request I would make is to remember that while you may not agree with each others perspectives, appreciate the fact that people here care enough about issues to discuss them. Apathy in my opinion is a bigger danger than a House full of Liberals or Conservatives. The day that we, as a Nation, stop caring is a day that I hope I never live to see. Our beliefs, be it religious, political, or moral is a large part of what makes this country so great.

Anyways...sorry if I rambled a bit too much. As I said before, I don't post much anymore. I've learned that I get a lot more from having an open mind, and respecting my friends beliefs, than I ever did from trying to force mine on others.

So /salute to you my friends. While I may not agree with all that you write...I have a lot of respect for you brave enough to write it, and passionate enough about your country to stand behind it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rave: You!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 PM 
I schooled the old school.

I feel bad, because that apathy you speak of has almost entirely taken me over.

:/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:27 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Conservatives had a big presence here before Bush became totally indefensible. Then I guess they got discouraged and stopped posting. Liberals were big here, then Obama got elected, turned into a total lemon, and now *they* don't post here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 PM 

Obama is far from a "total lemon" to me. Don't put your biases into my mouth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 PM 

I'm not putting *anything* in your mouth.

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:42 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I think what bothers people with Obama issues far more is the moonbat rhetoric of the far right. I know a lot of people who are absolutely apathetic because of THAT. They don't want to address what is clear insanity.

And many that I know are also furious that the Democrats seem to be such pussies in dealing with it. I'm not furious myself because I've always known the dems are major pussies. That's one thing they really need to change because it's ridiculous to allow moonbat madness to have ANY influence on the serious issues that are being addressed such as health care reform, etc.

IMO obviously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:26 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
Tarot I think a lot of the problem is we still have the same issues. Just a different president now and the left has no one to focus their anger on anymore. Both parties have their moonbats and both are way off the deep end about either Bush or Obama.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I think there is fear on one side and apathy on the other.

Republicans (well the non religious right nutjobs anyway) are afraid to speak out because they will be either called racists (Carter, Rangel, etc) for any opposition to Obama or associated with the media's darlings Palin & Limbaugh. For example, in every public event dealing with health care Obama revisits the subject of 'death panels' and his rhetoric has gotten stronger on the subject. I doubt there's more than a handful of people who believe that there was ever a plan with 'death panels' (although the informed know that the basis for the accusation was the necessity for rationing combined with the 'end of life' counseling called for in one of the House bills and since removed). But by continually referring to them as the Republican's best argument against reform, President Obama is casting all opposition into the same stupid/insane light as Palin/Limbaugh.

Democrats, on the other hand, have become increasingly apathetic as time passes and none of their major issues are addressed: college kids & Somalia, social liberals and gay rights, libertarian-leaners and wire-tapping/privacy, many who wanted partisanship to be ended or at least lessened, and others. Also, I'd like to believe that there are still moderate Democrats out there who are bothered by the deficit and questioning the funding in the healthcare reform bills as inadequate. And finally, the whole Pelosi/Reid still being in so much control (helped by Obama not putting a detailed healthcare reform proposal forward) isn't helping dispel the apathy.

It was somewhat predictable that Democrats would become apathetic; too many of them were 'true believers' without any grounding in reality.

My hope is that what we are seeing on the Republican side will lead to a schism between the conservative, strict constitutionalists and the theocracy-seekers within the party. At this point all that needs to happen is one of those groups to step back and disavow the label 'Republican'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Elemynt_Fyrestorm wrote:
I'm gonna try to keep this brief. I just have to say I find it incredible how intelligent the people are on these forums.

I read the political section a lot, and as a conservative I'm definately of a differing opinion than most of you. That being said, I still love how for the most part you guys can debate with so much intensity and passion, without losing focus of the facts. I have learned a lot just by "listening" to the different perspectives here.

As I'm sure quite a few of you remember, listening was not one of my strong suits, lol. I tended to let my mouth run, (or fingers) and my brain was often a few steps behind. I don't see a lot of that here, and find it refreshing to say the least.

One request I would make is to remember that while you may not agree with each others perspectives, appreciate the fact that people here care enough about issues to discuss them. Apathy in my opinion is a bigger danger than a House full of Liberals or Conservatives. The day that we, as a Nation, stop caring is a day that I hope I never live to see. Our beliefs, be it religious, political, or moral is a large part of what makes this country so great.

Anyways...sorry if I rambled a bit too much. As I said before, I don't post much anymore. I've learned that I get a lot more from having an open mind, and respecting my friends beliefs, than I ever did from trying to force mine on others.

So /salute to you my friends. While I may not agree with all that you write...I have a lot of respect for you brave enough to write it, and passionate enough about your country to stand behind it.

Thank you Elemynt!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
Kulamiena wrote:
Republicans (well the non religious right nutjobs anyway) are afraid to speak out because they will be either called racists (Carter, Rangel, etc) for any opposition to Obama or associated with the media's darlings Palin & Limbaugh.

Or, more commonly, attacked by other Republicans for not being "conservative" enough.
Kulamiena wrote:
For example, in every public event dealing with health care Obama revisits the subject of 'death panels' and his rhetoric has gotten stronger on the subject. I doubt there's more than a handful of people who believe that there was ever a plan with 'death panels' (although the informed know that the basis for the accusation was the necessity for rationing combined with the 'end of life' counseling called for in one of the House bills and since removed). But by continually referring to them as the Republican's best argument against reform, President Obama is casting all opposition into the same stupid/insane light as Palin/Limbaugh.
There were far more than a handful of people attempting to use death panels as an argument against a public plan. Whether they belived it or not is irrelevent. If you're spouting it, you either believe it or think that the listener is so stupid as to believe it. Neither of which bodes well for conservatives at the moment.

As for the basis of the death panel bullshit, you're wrong. It was entirely based on the fact that people opposed to a public plan had absolutely no valid argument to offer that would gain traction (not that there were none, but that they were apparently too stupid to articulate them). No version of the proposed bill mandated end of life counseling, it simply paid for it, something that many Republicans have supported until right now.

Kulamiena wrote:
Democrats, on the other hand, have become increasingly apathetic as time passes and none of their major issues are addressed: college kids & Somalia, social liberals and gay rights, libertarian-leaners and wire-tapping/privacy, many who wanted partisanship to be ended or at least lessened, and others. Also, I'd like to believe that there are still moderate Democrats out there who are bothered by the deficit and questioning the funding in the healthcare reform bills as inadequate. And finally, the whole Pelosi/Reid still being in so much control (helped by Obama not putting a detailed healthcare reform proposal forward) isn't helping dispel the apathy.
I agree with you for the most part up until the last sentence. Like them or not, Polosi and Reid have as much control as is warranted. They're the Speaker and Majority Leader respectively, not some random Democrat schmuck. It's not like they're are dictating Presidential policy.

Kulamiena wrote:
It was somewhat predictable that Democrats would become apathetic; too many of them were 'true believers' without any grounding in reality.
What? I've never been a Democrat, so I probably just don't have an understanding of what a true believing demcrat is supposed to be.

Kulamiena wrote:
My hope is that what we are seeing on the Republican side will lead to a schism between the conservative, strict constitutionalists and the theocracy-seekers within the party. At this point all that needs to happen is one of those groups to step back and disavow the label 'Republican'.

Whichever group actually did it would become irrelevent, which I would completely support if it were the nutjobs, but I'd hate to see moderate Republicans lose whatever small amount of influence they had because they thew a tantrum and left the Party.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 AM 

Quote:
No version of the proposed bill mandated end of life counseling, it simply paid for it, something that many Republicans have supported until right now.
You're only partly right. While it did not mandate it, there was also no language dictating that it was purely voluntary - or any language whatsoever dictating the terms of the engagement.

If it was so benign, why was 1233 removed completely? Did you read 1233? I did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Devyn wrote:
Or, more commonly, attacked by other Republicans for not being "conservative" enough.

I'm seeing alot more coverage of the racism charges than not 'conservative' enough charges.

Devyn wrote:
As for the basis of the death panel bullshit, you're wrong. It was entirely based on the fact that people opposed to a public plan had absolutely no valid argument to offer that would gain traction (not that there were none, but that they were apparently too stupid to articulate them). No version of the proposed bill mandated end of life counseling, it simply paid for it, something that many Republicans have supported until right now.

I don't recall saying that it was "mandated".

Devyn wrote:
Like them or not, Polosi and Reid have as much control as is warranted. They're the Speaker and Majority Leader respectively, not some random Democrat schmuck. It's not like they're are dictating Presidential policy.

As far as I'm concerned they are just Democratic schmucks. I didn't vote for either of them and with today's politicians staying in lockstep with their party (both parties) the Speaker & Majority Leader have much too much power.

Devyn wrote:
What? I've never been a Democrat, so I probably just don't have an understanding of what a true believing demcrat is supposed to be.

Go back and read the logic behind Obama support during the primary & general election (but mostly primary). Their justification for supporting a first-term Senator with no other credentials on the national scene centered around hopechangery and the historical implications of his Presidency. So, granted they got their history but not much hopechangery going on as far as I can tell.

Devyn wrote:
I'd hate to see moderate Republicans lose whatever small amount of influence they had because they thew a tantrum and left the Party.

They are already powerless as they have nobody left to whom the media pay attention to be their voice while the nutjobs get lots of media attention. Staying in the party does nothing but taint them with the Palin/Limbaugh brush.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 AM 

Quote:
Obama is far from a "total lemon" to me. Don't put your biases into my mouth.
I don't get it. Are you lying? I mean.. I know you care about war, because you're a pacifist, right? Did you know that Obama has increased our troop presence in Afghanistan? Do you know what the goals of our increase are? I don't. Do you know what the timetable is for withdrawal? Surely you, of all people, care about this issue.

Were you aware that Obama has strengthened Bush' policies in numerous ways, from NSA wiretapping to extraordinary rendition to limiting the FOIA?

Are you aware that his current major initiative, health care reform, is so bogged down by his party's own ineptitude that the kind of reform that people like you and I care about probably won't even happen?

Did you know that the big environmental legislation, cap and trade, probably won't pass? Or that it's so watered down that most environmentalists that people like you and I pay attention to said it doesn't go far enough?

Have you heard the news that DOMA and DADT won't even get looked at in the short to mid term?

How is he not a lemon? If he's not a lemon, then why are you apathetic? All of your legislative hopes and dreams are, presumably, coming true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:20 PM 

The world isn't black and white, Joxur. There's a lot of gray in there, and you refuse to allow me to be gray. Can I be unhappy with some decisions that Obama has made without hating the man? Can I be happy with some of his decisions without calling him my messiah? Apparently not in your world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:11 AM 

ARE you happy with some of his decisions? I'm just trying to reconcile your apathy statement with your "he's not a lemon" statement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I love how Elemynt was raving about this community, saying how civil everyone is and how well people here get along, only to have World War III declared between Joxur and Fribur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

What the fecking hell is a moonbat?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
You're only partly right. While it did not mandate it, there was also no language dictating that it was purely voluntary - or any language whatsoever dictating the terms of the engagement.

But that has nothing to do with the fact that "Death Panels" - as they were presented - never actually existed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:30 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Khaless wrote:
What the fecking hell is a moonbat?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moonbat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:00 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Quote:

When the exact same provision was passed in the last medicare reform during the Bush administration did you protest it? Were you horrified by all of the old people that were then lined up and executed gestapo style as a result?

As to the "why was it removed" see the Tarot comments about the dem's being pussies. Instead of saying "Ok you guys are nutjobs" they take shit out giving the nutjobs the ability to then say "see we won!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:42 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
As to the "why was it removed" see the Tarot comments about the dem's being pussies. Instead of saying "Ok you guys are nutjobs" they take shit out giving the nutjobs the ability to then say "see we won!"

That's democracy for ya, though.

You can have something totally reasonable that gets enough negative press from insane-o people and suddenly it becomes political suicide to endorse it so no one does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
You can have something totally reasonable that gets enough negative press from insane-o people and suddenly it becomes political suicide to endorse it so no one does.

I thought one of the best summations of this turn around (politically) was posted the other day as a satire of what would happen after Joe Wilson's "you lie" shout.....

Quote:
Ezra Klein

Joe Wilson’s “you lie” comment might be a great boon to the Democrats in their bid to pass health care.

EVOLVES TO

Michael Scherer (Time.com)

Joes Wilson broke decorum when he screamed “you lie” which may come back to hurt Republicans. Obama stared back at him and you could seem him twitch.

EVOLVES TO

Rush Limbaugh

And ladies and gentlemen Mr. Obama was calling Mr. Wilson a liar so he had to respond. Did you see the way that Obama twitched? Ladies and gentlemen that’s the type of twitch you see from the type of man Obama is (unsaid: Black) when he’s ready for a barroom fight or to push you aside and ravage your sister. We’ve all seen that twitch before and we’ve all known what it means.

EVOLVES TO

Drudge

Breaking Headline: Obama twitch is seen as a challenge not only to Wilson but anybody who disagrees with him. Obama wants a barroom fight – and watch your sister.

EVOLVES TO

Politico

“The Twitch” – major backlash on Obama’s response to Joe Wilson’s comment – while Wilson is nothing more than a back bencher, Obama raised his stature by using body language to make what feels like to a lot of people a direct threat, to Wilson, the Republicans and their sisters.

EVOLVES TO

Fox News

We are spending all day discussing “The Twitch,” which is getting people really riled up in the real America (show signs of teabaggers carrying signs saying “Don’t Twitch on Me!”) We have noted body language psychologist Dr. Kraz Y. Town to talk about it.

Town: Yes, I want to show you these pictures of Hitler speaking at Nuremberg. You see the same type of twitch.

EVOLVES TO

Sarah Palin (Twitter)

Don’t “Twitch on Me” buddy. I’ve seen that Twitch before and I know to get out of the room fast or I’m going to wind up with a black eye or pregnant

EVOLVES TO

George Will

The first thing a president must have is decorum. You would never see Ronald Reagan twitch like that, make that type of unabashed challenge to a lowly backbencher. Mr. Obama has done himself and his country a disservice.

EVOLVES TO

David Broder

While I understand that the comment was inappropriate all eyes were on Obama and not Joe Wilson. Obama broke comity and destroyed bipartisanship with that twitch. This is our town Mr. Obama and we don’t appreciate you twitching in it.

EVOLVES TO

Chris Mathews

Mathews: Hi, this is Chris Mathews on Hardball. We’re going to be talking about “The Twitch” with a Democratic consultant. Didn’t Obama make a real mistake with that Twitch?

Democratic Consultant: Well, I’ll admit it wasn’t Obama’s best moment, but he was doing it in response to a comment.

Mathews: Come on Joe Wilson is a nothing, a nobody, and hey, we all know what that twitch means. I’m a lunch bucket kind of guy, I’ve been in bars, I have a sister.

Democratic Consultant: Well we need to admit Obama made a mistake with the Twitch and try and move on and pass health care.

EVOLVES TO

Michael Scherer

Obama’s Twitch is causing him enormous trouble. It’s hard to believe this type of blowback. How did the White House lose control of an issue that should have played in their favor?

EVOLVES TO

Ezra Klein

As idiotic as the twitch is, it looks like it is going to doom the public option

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:49 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh

And ladies and gentlemen Mr. Obama was calling Mr. Wilson a liar so he had to respond. Did you see the way that Obama twitched? Ladies and gentlemen that’s the type of twitch you see from the type of man Obama is (unsaid: Black) when he’s ready for a barroom fight or to push you aside and ravage your sister. We’ve all seen that twitch before and we’ve all known what it means.

Where the fuck did that come from? The only "kind" of man he can be is black? Pathetic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:42 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
You're right. This parody could also be referring to intellectuals, lawyers or Presidents. There is a huge stereotype of those groups being overly aggressive and going after your sister.

You're the type of person who defends the redneck who calls a black man a coon with the excuse of "How do you know he didn't just see a raccoon?", aren't ya?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I think Dark missed where it's all a parody in the first place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:46 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Elemynt tells you, 'Dance puppets, Dance!'

Offline Profile