All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rant: 100,000 miles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:19 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I was already living the lifestyle, but finding Dave put some extra words to it.
It's pretty damn hard to argue with paying off debts aggressively and having very little debt. And yes, you only need credit if you're borrowing money.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not sneering at Ramsey's plan at all. Although, I could have done without the aggressive christian angle to it all. Once I blocked that out and boiled him down to his basics, he gives common sense advice on how to pay off debt.

The "no credit" stuff? I don't agree with at all. Because you DO need credit. Sad as it is to say. Life can be very difficult without it. And I say this as a guy who payed cash for everything for years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

DarkOmen42 wrote:
I've never had a credit card, I signed a contract with verizon no problem. I had no credit of any kind, the only thing I had was a stable checking account with no dings or overdraws, ever.

You can do nothing with a credit card that you can't do with a debit card, except go into debt.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. I'm glad you got your contract with your provider, it's a rarity. Try that with an iPhone, but I digress. You addressed a single point of the MANY here that were made. I'd really like to know where you live in all honesty with absolutely no credit issues /shrug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:46 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Dave Ramsey, another great example of how a great way to get out of debt and get rich is to sell other people secrets and tips on how to get out of debt and get rich!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:12 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
No credit rating is nearly as bad as having bad credit.

I am a cell phone dealer, and if you are one of those people with no history in the credit bureau computer, expect to put a hefty deposit down if you want a cell phone.

You would be surprised at the amount of house wives I get that have never had a credit card in there own name, sure they may have a bunch of cards in there purse, but if its the husbands name as primary on each of those cards, no credit rating will be gained for her. Same goes for all those people who don't believe in credit cards, banks or loans, getting a cell contract is going to be hell for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
It really is. Like I said though, if you demonstrate that you don't care about your credit, then you are a risk.

Good credit is something that you buy. You pay for it every time you pay "interest" and "fees". If a company who's business is making money from interest and fees can't get any from you, why would they do business with you?

I don't like patronizing those types of businesses anyway (and generally don't), so my lack of credit rarely has an impact on me.

Places where it might hurt me though is getting into an exclusive apartment community in a good neighborhood, getting lower insurance rates, or a certain type of job. Not really fair, I don't think, but I understand it. Don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:39 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

No, really. It's worse than bad credit. I don't know why, but having no credit makes you some kind of weird alien freak, but defaulting on a loan or something is a forgivable offense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:51 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

If living out of debt makes me a freak, I'll be a freak any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Quote:
I am a cell phone dealer, and if you are one of those people with no history in the credit bureau computer, expect to put a hefty deposit down if you want a cell phone.

So what? If you're living a debt free lifestyle paying down isn't a big deal. That's kind of the point.

As far as some of the other of it Tali, I don't have a security clearance. I do have an ATF blasting license, which I obtained while having a fuck up with my social security number/name not matching.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:58 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

DarkOmen42 wrote:
So what? If you're living a debt free lifestyle paying down isn't a big deal. That's kind of the point.

As far as some of the other of it Tali, I don't have a security clearance. I do have an ATF blasting license, which I obtained while having a fuck up with my social security number/name not matching.

Well, that's two points? /shrug. I'd rather be earning the super savings interest on this money, rather than the shitbag payout you get from the utility/phone company holding. I'm not knocking your choice at all, in fact, I'd say your goal of being debtfree is enviable for the vast majority of this country. But don't criticize others for also being smart with their money. Not all debt is "omgwtfevil". You don't have live in a fucking cabin in Montana with your rifle and blasting caps (c wut I did thar?) to be free from slavish debt.

To each his own I suppose. I don't think you're weird, just unnecessarily stupid about it all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:02 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Oh and btw, Dave gives his info away for free everyday. Both on radio and tv daily, and his books are in libraries all over the place. It doesn't cost you anything but time to learn the ideas behind what he advocates.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
The problem is the old saying "what works for one person may not work for another"

My life is just fine with debt. I live comfortably, i'm able to save and invest, and still maintain a moderate amount of debt that is just increasing my credit rating with every month that passes. I considered just paying everything off and living off cash, but in some situations, that's not nearly so easy as it sounds, and there are cuts to my lifestyle I'm not willing to make.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:51 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about the cell phone providers, insurance companies, utility companies, etc... that check your credit before determining your rate or whether you can get service is the fact that they don't report your on time payments to the credit bureaus. They check your shit, but don't report it if your are on time with your payments and what not.

Offline Profile