It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indian giver ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:37 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Jessica Simpson angered some Native American groups when she told us earlier this week she wasn't an Indian giver - after we asked her if she would take back a boat she bought ex-BF Tony Romo as a gift.

Why would this be offensive to Native Americans? Isn't it derrogeratory to the white treaties that were broken? They gave them lands and took them back? Just a painful reminder?

Another off color saying from NY was to "JAP" out of something. To bail out of something. I doubt this refers to the Japanese. Is it jewish american princess? A long island girl reference?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Indian giver ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Azzi wrote:
Why would this be offensive to Native Americans? Isn't it derrogeratory to the white treaties that were broken? They gave them lands and took them back? Just a painful reminder?

Another off color saying from NY was to "JAP" out of something. To bail out of something. I doubt this refers to the Japanese. Is it jewish american princess? A long island girl reference?

Indian giver doesn't refer to whites and our constant fucking over though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver

My understanding of it was twofold, one that Native Americans (depending on tribe) had different cultural concepts, so there was miscommunication. When such agreements broke down, "Indians" were blamed.

It's also the source of 'gyp', to be 'gypped' or cheated of value. Again, Roma have different concepts of ownership and what can and cannot be owned. Additionally in many countries when Roma were ill treated and cheated (the bands would often caravan into an area and perform labor, repairs, etc. and the townspeople would often pay them little or cheat them because what could they do?) the 'gypsies' or Roma as most prefer to be called would simply steal to make up the difference. What they would steal though was rarely money or goods, but livestock...food.

Anyway it's ironic that the groups that did the fucking over labeled the behavior onto the groups that they fucked.

As far as JAP goes, it was used as a slur in WWII. It's an abbreviation for Japanese, but was often used nastily so that the term itself became a slur. NIP is also an abbreviation for Nippon (I think it's spelled that way) which was that Japanese word for their country. Again, used so nastily that the abbv. itself became a slur.

JAP as Jewish American Princess is also considered a slur...though most people I know who use it do not use it that way, nor do I know people who take it as a slur from those people. Same with WASP. /shrug But I'm sure there are people who use it nastily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish-American_princess

Just one more thing, 'gyp' is commonly used on the east coast, or at least I've heard it there *a lot* (along with nasty slurs about tinkers or Irish travelers heh). 'Indian giver' was a term I heard in the south. I'm sure neither is exclusive to either region...but it's where I heard it used so commonly people would have been taken aback had you called attention to it being offensive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:56 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
People need to lighten the fuck up. It would have been different if Tony Romo was native american (and that's a stretch) but jesus christ talk about out of context.

I see this all the time on some transgender forums where the activists get all up in arms over some celebrity mentioning anything trans. It is so ridiculous. Why do there have to be consequences about every thing someone says? Soon we won't be able to speak in more than 3 word sentences.

I'll stretch it to four this time for the people bitching about this.

Shut the fuck up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 AM 
Spider Slayer

By the etymology given there the term was used to offend both sides. It's not an innocent term and probably a bad move to issue in a public statement like she did, but I personally am not offended by it.

Just like that wimmenz rights group didn't like David Letterman's comments on Palin/her daughter, it comes as no surprise that a Native American group is offended by that. It's the entire reason to have a group like that, to be offended by shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:19 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I wouldn't be all up in arms about it, but I can understand if someone in that group is. I mean...I get annoyed when generalities are made about gamers, I can't imagine being part of a group continually fucked over and marginalized...

...oh wait of course I can, I'm a woman. ;) Though thankfully that shit has gotten a lot better in my lifetime like most of you probably wouldn't believe. I can't imagine how women the generation before mine and beyond dealt with that shit which had to be much, much worse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:41 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Hmm you know I never thought about the word gypped before. It was used a LOT in Ohio. It's never even caused my mind that it was associated with a slur. Gyp = gypsy? Still unsure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

IS used**
Crossed my mind**

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:
People need to lighten the fuck up. It would have been different if Tony Romo was native american (and that's a stretch) but jesus christ talk about out of context.

I see this all the time on some transgender forums where the activists get all up in arms over some celebrity mentioning anything trans. It is so ridiculous. Why do there have to be consequences about every thing someone says? Soon we won't be able to speak in more than 3 word sentences.

I'll stretch it to four this time for the people bitching about this.

Shut the fuck up.

Aren't posts like this rather ironic? :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Garborg wrote:
Hmm you know I never thought about the word gypped before. It was used a LOT in Ohio. It's never even caused my mind that it was associated with a slur. Gyp = gypsy? Still unsure.

Geez, man, don't you watch House? That episode wasn't the greatest, mind you, but still more entertaining than most of the shit on TV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:23 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Yeah gyp = gypsy. And even the term 'gypsy' isn't a positive one, most prefer Roma. I never knew it was even spelled 'gyp', I thought it was jipped, and never knew it was a slur until my late teens/early 20s. I think most people use it and other terms as a common word, never knowing or if they know not thinking about the 'slur' portion. I try not to use it because I can see how it would be offensive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Instead of Indain giver just say, the sort of person that gives something then takes it back, it rolls off the tongue nicely. In central Mn we used gyped and jewed out of something, along with kype, not sure the origon of that. I didn't know what they were referencing until I was much older. This thread reminded me to look up Jerry-rigged or jury rigged. We used them interchangably, guess that was wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:25 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

When I was a kid, dildo and douche were also used as insults. I know I was past a freshman in HS before I knew what a dildo was, because a senor girl was bitching to me how her big white car with the license plate 'dildo' (I'm sure it was some variation with a number 1 or something in there) wasn't allowed to be parked on the campus of our catholic school. I was truly indignant, I mean....it was just a childish word, right?

I also vividly recall my mother trying to get me to stop using the word douchebag without telling me what it meant, and relying on ye olde 'because I said so'.

Ah if only the internet had existed back then. I still recall googling the word 'Bukkake', THANK YOU EVERQUEST GUILD CHAT

/weep

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:34 PM 

haha me too :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:33 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

The "Facial" comment said when someone is wrong on a topic... still baffles me. Other than the obv sexual meaning it never made much sense in the way it was used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Slyfinger
WoW: Booji
Guurn wrote:
Instead of Indain giver just say, the sort of person that gives something then takes it back, it rolls off the tongue nicely. In central Mn we used gyped and jewed out of something, along with kype, not sure the origon of that. I didn't know what they were referencing until I was much older. This thread reminded me to look up Jerry-rigged or jury rigged. We used them interchangably, guess that was wrong.

There are more derogatory ways to rig something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:55 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery

"Hand me the nigger socket set." was one I heard a lot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:00 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Garborg wrote:
The "Facial" comment said when someone is wrong on a topic... still baffles me. Other than the obv sexual meaning it never made much sense in the way it was used.

Isn't it a basketball reference, not a sexual reference?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:35 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
I always took the term "japped" to refer to a sneaky attack of sorts in reference to the attack on Pearl Harbor coming "out of the sun".

I also always thought it was jipped and never even considered gypped. Interesting shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:31 AM 

EQ1: Gothor
How about Welsh as in welshing on a bet

Redneck

Hillbilly

California Blonde

Trailer park trash

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:45 PM 

EQ1: Slyfinger
WoW: Booji
Nebraska Furniture Mart sells White trash particle board furniture.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:54 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

I always wondered at the people that use mouthbreather as a slur as if it had some relation to intelligence instead of sinus structure.

Offline Profile