It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Board name origins
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:26 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Gothor
It's a cliche from the movies - "Once around the park and home, James," said to the chauffeur. According to one reference, the original saying was: "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!" said to the coachman. Dates from 1870 if not earlier. There was a song by that title in 1934 that gave the phrase "a popular boost." (From Dictionary of Catch Phrases: American and British from the Sixteenth Century to the Present Day by Eric Partridge, updated and edited by Paul Beal, Scarborough House, Lanham, Md., 1992)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Phread wrote:
So it had nothing to do with...

Really?

And Bello isn't just "boy" in italian?

LOL, pretty much...and scuba diving. Long story.

As far as Bello goes, yes...it means boy or handsome boy. The Italians always called me "bello" instead of Heath...and it was the first name that came to mind when I made my Halfer.

Now that I think about it, Heath might have been a good Halfer name being it is Irish and Halfers look like leprechauns.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

I was pretty sure that EQ was the dumbest game ever. My brothers Candida and Yumin were insistant that I play, so I chose a name that sounded like a lame hair band. Using uu in the middle was just part of that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:59 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:
It's a cliche from the movies - "Once around the park and home, James," said to the chauffeur. According to one reference, the original saying was: "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!" said to the coachman. Dates from 1870 if not earlier. There was a song by that title in 1934 that gave the phrase "a popular boost." (From Dictionary of Catch Phrases: American and British from the Sixteenth Century to the Present Day by Eric Partridge, updated and edited by Paul Beal, Scarborough House, Lanham, Md., 1992)

Pretty much this. When I made a wizard it was primarily to chauffeur guildmates around, as there was no quick portals back then. "Home, James" was something people said to the driver in the movies. I thought it was funny. Not all of my humor necessarily translates well when it gets outside of my head.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
There is an island off of the coast of Italy named Sicily. I like Italian food, especially lasagna. Therefore, so that I wouldn't get caught by some silly naming infringement lawsuit or something... Cicely.

Basically I think I was looking at a map and I saw Italy and the name Sicily and just changed a couple letters around. Nothing fancy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:53 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Xkhanx - because the name Khan wouldn't get past the name filter and it is what I had been known as for a long time, back to my military days as my team call sign.
Xkhan - Ex-Con Self Explanatory, but not a reality.
Tossinem Atcha - Zerker - Self Explanatory
Dikins Cider - made it to lvl 20 jsut to finish the name....
and
Pokinya Frombehind - Rogue - Self Explanatory

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:31 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
DraagunSoulstealer wrote:
Worthy Self esteem issues, I guess. He wanted to let you know that he was a WORTHY cleric to add to your raid.

Nope, but, the real reason is more stupid than yours.

I was new on the Internet way back in 99 and I met this girl in a Yahoo chat room who was something called a Sub.(Later I found out it was a submissive.)

She wanted to bring me to her BDSM rooms but, said I needed a Master Name that was Worthy of her.

Of course, I missunderstood, and made up a screen name of Master Worthy. LOL!

I actually made a lot of friends in that community, even though thats not my thing, and people would just call me Worthy for short, so, when I came to EQ, I just used that for my First/Main Character. EQ was my first online game, and I had no real clue of how it worked, or what raids were or anything. I even made up a fake Bio a long time ago, saying that the Temple of Mith Marr priests took me in when they found my body passed out under the piers in Freeport (That was where I spawned, my first time playing this kind of game with no clue.) that when I woke up, I had amnesia, and they kept asking me "Are you Worthy?" SO, I figured that was what my name was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:27 PM 
Troller in Training
Troller in Training

When I tried to create my first character on EQ, I really wanted the name Ellen (I did get it on WOW), but the name was already taken. I couldn't think of what else to use while my husband was giving me the "just pick something jeez". Since he was creating Janthalnatas, I stole the ending off his name.

Last I was playing EQ, I played the characters of the cleric on a break of the time more than my own character (unless we need to COH people around).

I didn't realize until years later that my name was satanelle backwards :(.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:37 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
WorthyIam wrote:
Worthy Self esteem issues, I guess. He wanted to let you know that he was a WORTHY cleric to add to your raid.

I was new on the Internet way back in 99 and I met this girl in a Yahoo chat room who was something called a Sub.(Later I found out it was a submissive.)

She wanted to bring me to her BDSM rooms but, said I needed a Master Name that was Worthy of her.

I actually made a lot of friends in that community, even though thats not my thing, and people would just call me Worthy for short, so, when I came to EQ, I just used that for my First/Main Character. EQ was my first online game, and I had no real clue of how it worked, or what raids were or anything. I even made up a fake Bio a long time ago, saying that the Temple of Mith Marr priests took me in when they found my body passed out under the piers in Freeport (That was where I spawned, my first time playing this kind of game with no clue.) that when I woke up, I had amnesia, and they kept asking me "Are you Worthy?" SO, I figured that was what my name was.

Funniest shit you have posted in years =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

I downed a case of beer and a couple of shots (way back then) and came up with the name. No idea why, no reason. Shrug I guess I should have been sober. :)

I had a Dwarf Pally named Dalinor (EQ selected).

No big reasons of any of my names.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:37 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I had figured that "Landsaver" might have been inspired by the, "You've ruined your own lands...." line. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:59 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
Cevendown - My original Lanys Board name. Ceven Down was one of many names my band went through back in High School...along with Mongrel God (we released a small self producted/recorded ep under that name), Incandescent Human Noise, and I forgot the name of the last one before I ended up leaving the band due to boredom.

Khameir - Current online identify and name of my Shadow Knight back in EQ. I flat out stole it from Star Wars, as Khameir Sarin is Darth Maul's real name (only referenced once in the book Shadow Hunter). Most people just call me Kham these days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:28 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
I just made up Xantheus. I have heard there were some books with that character in them, but never read them or heard the name that I remember before creating Xan on Lanys. I had another character on Nameless when it started that was Xantheus and one before that on Erollisi that was Xan something, damned if I remember.

Diabolus is latin for devil. Not sure why I choose that as I didn't roleplay Xan as evil per say, but it sounded good with the first name so that's what it was.

I had a couple different guide characters when I was in the program named Xanigan.

I also put the bug in Frizznik's head for Xanamech Nezmirthafen right before I left EQ one of the times.

Most people who have met me IRL have usually called me Xan and I still would respond to it if someone called me by that I am sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:51 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I used to play a lot of Muds back in college and got tired of not being able to get the same name each time. It made it harder for friends to find me, so I made up something I didn't think anyone else would use. It's worked well too, in 15+ years I've never not gotten this name in a game ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:40 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Vanamar wrote:
I think Happytiger was Xianle's surname. Xian had something else.

I believe Xians last name was simply Li or Lee or something like that...

My first character in EQ(on Fennin Ro) was Felwhite, which was obviously a bad knockoff for my favorite marble city in the game, i used to love just roaming around the city and trying to find places i wasnt supposed to be able to get to, plus it was one of the most pristine looking cities in the game IMO.

Then moved to Fellenwhite(same difference)
Dashkast was inherited by the real dashkast, and not entirely sure why he chose that name, i guess i could ask him...

I initially wanted my name to be Incognito or Mr Incognito(which I used to use in UO) due to the simpsons reference(which i later found out was GUY Incognito, not Mr... I thought Mr was more funny anyway).

I have a series of alts with similarly unoriginal names:
Gnoway (One of my favorite names, probably thought up for knowing Gnomercie and similar)
Dawan (and Dauddawan were supposed to be a 2box cleric/monk pair)
Karmakaze (I dont really remember if i made that up or not =\)
Stabitha (simpsons reference Wiggum mentions the name quite a few times)
Fellonblackdays (soundgarden song)
Aownohere (My AoW ogre scout that wasn't KOS - trying to convince people he wasnt up)
Smashy (another simpsons reference, they say it all the time)

It was fun making names within EQ.

Formerly known as:
Dashkast Justifyer
75 Gnomish Puppy kicker

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:32 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

dashkast wrote:
Dashkast was inherited by the real dashkast, and not entirely sure why he chose that name, i guess i could ask him...

I always thought the original Dashkast (Not that I knew him) meant it because of kiting as a necro. Dash-Kast (cast)

That was just me though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:31 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Uluth Gak wrote:
dashkast wrote:

I always thought the original Dashkast (Not that I knew him) meant it because of kiting as a necro. Dash-Kast (cast)

That was just me though.

Im curious myself, ill ask him, but im thinking not specifically that though because he used that as his original name on Fennin Ro, as a Paladin...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:15 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

random name generator. all my names were. I'm unoriginal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 PM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

EQ1: Phread Ritesaid
WoW: Chipps (Sombrero)
WorthyIam wrote:

Ok, how many people went up to Worthy and said...
"I'm not Worthy!"?
:headbang:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:11 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Xkhanx wrote:
Pokinya Frombehind - Rogue - Self Explanatory

Hah! I had no idea that was you I was talking to yesterday in General while you were on Pokinya Khan.

Offline Profile