It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:24 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
This is getting pretty annoying.

I never get them on my regular phone, but, I get them at least 2 or 3 times a week on my cell phone. If I answer my phone by accident, why do I have to use my minutes to pay for this?

I thought there was a law about calling cell phones for advertising.

I wish my local news station would do something like this story:

Quote:
Concord Call Center Sells 'Fraud' Auto Warranties (Video of story on this link)

CONCORD (CBS 5) - You've probably gotten the annoying call more than once saying your auto warranty is about to expire. It's estimated that more than a billion calls have been made to home and office and cell phones.

It's hard to know where the calls are coming from, because the callback numbers are often disguised. But CBS 5 Investigates found one place doing telemarketing on auto warranties in the Bay Area.

Those recorded calls often warn that "this is your final courtesy call before your vehicle is reclassified."

They're calls Vicky Joslin of Paradise received often both on her home and cell phones. "That our warranty, our auto warranty was about to expire," Joslin recalled.

But in Joslin's case she didn't just hang up, she took the call and later, got the name of the company, called Pacific Guard Warranty.

CBS 5 Investigates found that company is registered in Nevada and uses an office address in the East Bay, in Pleasant Hill. But that address turns out to be a mailbox inside a private mail services store.

So where is that company located? It's actually hidden away in a tiny office in a building in downtown Concord.

The sign on the door said "Access USA", but employees working there told us it's actually the office for Pacific Guard Warranty.

"We've actually been told don't give (customers) this address, they might come up here and do something to the office," said former employee Iris Franco Mitchell.

Mitchell said the office managers prepare employees for upset customers.
So where do those auto-dialed calls come from?

"I would say over 50 percent of our calls come from India," Mitchell said.

She said those automatic dialers call people all over the US and when a consumer takes the bait and presses the number 1, the call would be transferred to the center in Concord.

That's where Mitchell said employees are instructed to sell a variety of auto warranties; but as to the quality of those policies?

She said around the office, managers called one "a fraud policy". Why?

"If you're selling a bumper to bumper warranty or a power train warranty, it's neither," Mitchell said. "It's actually a product warranty that only covers like 34 parts in your car and you pay $2,500 for it."

She said customers don't know that. Take the Joslins, for example. Since the factory warranty on their van actually had expired, buying the plan sounded like a good idea to them.

Vicky Joslin said the representative on the phone told them the policy would cover "bumper to bumper" for 10 years. So they agreed to pay $2,200 for that "extended warranty."

But Joslin said 6 months later when the van needed repairs and the couple called to submit for reimbursement?

"It wasn't going to cover us, we didn't qualify," Joslin said.

She said because the company told them they'd have to prove that every repair or service ever done on the van had been done at an "authorized" shop.

"We could not even change a sparkplug on our van without negating the policy, so that's when we realized well, they've lied to us," said Joslin.

Joslin believes what they really bought was "Nothing. We're giving them money for nothing".

Mitchell said customers called to cancel constantly.

"They are saying 'I cannot cancel this. Why are you taking my money? I told them I didn't want this,'" said Mitchell.

Mitchell believes "It's a scam, I think it's a fraud, I think that no one should waste their money."

CBS 5 Investigates wanted to talk to the man who several employees identified as being behind that telemarketing operation named Christian Westbrook.

He did not return calls or respond to a business card left at the office and a man who answered the door there said Westbrook wasn't there at the time we visited.

When CBS 5 found him sitting in his car in a nearby parking lot, he refused to talk and drove away.

Meanwhile, Mitchell has quit working at the office and said someone needs to take action.

"Something needs to be done, because I don't see any regard, any regard for the consumer here and I am concerned about that," she said.

The Texas Attorney General's office has now filed suit against Pacific Guard Warranty and two other California companies for making what it calls harassing calls to residents of Texas.

The Federal Trade Commission also filed lawsuits against two auto warranty telemarketers last week.

Make these peoples identities public! I imagine they did not like being on TV.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

The only way to stop that is for people to stop being stupid and sehll out money to telemarketers... Oh wait people will ALWAYS be stupid. Nevermind.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 PM 
What does this button do?

I never answer unrecognized numbers, and sometimes recognized numbers ;)

Do not call registry works for cell phones too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
I answered this call, after about the 5th time in a week they called my Cell Number.

I waited through the Computer operated response BS. Got someone on the phone and promptly said "I, do not, OWN, a god damn vehicle."

They hung up immediately, and never called me back. Not even a "Were sorry sir" or anything. Just "click".

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:36 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
Cell phones aren't still on do not call status by default? If I ever get one I'll just ask them where I should send the bill for my wasted minutes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
spam text's are even more evil...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:02 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
I reported the people doing this, or might have been the other scam going around the 'important information regarding your account', and it was some other bullshit. First I went bonkers on the company since they can't legally telemarket the number they called (it's been on the DNC list since it formed) and we have no existing business with them, ergo they can't call. It then turned into an obscene phone call with the woman trying to upset me with profanity. I was like, bitch, PLEASE. Really? Here, I'll end it. Cunt. Now go fuck yourself with a jagged coke bottle and...well I should spare you guys the rest.

No one wins against me and vulgarity. Hmm, not sure if I should be proud of that. I blame you fuckers.

Anyway, I called Verizon, got their security dept. they offered to trap the line when they thought it was an obscene caller, I said no just this spam caller blah blah (and she did keep calling my house, I kept laughing at her saying every minute she spent with me was a minute she wasn't scamming some poor fucker. She stopped calling me the 2nd day.).

ANYWAY...they have thousands upon thousands of complaints I was told, once I was kicked to the right people. They can't block the numbers because they're using VOIP and rotating numbers, so as soon as they block some they come up with others or some shit.

I was told it was under investigation and they considered it a serious problem, and...that was it.

The calls DID stop here, so...there's that I guess. They never called my cell phones fortunately, that would be a serious annoyance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:22 AM 

I just went crazy on them because they had called about 10 times, "Who are you?! Why do you keep calling?! My car's warranty ended forever ago, now put me on the do not call list." She responded with,"Sir you asked me like 10 questions but i'll put you on the do not call" - haven't been called since.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:41 AM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

Last time I got a call was about a year go. When a real person got on the line, I blew a whistle in the phone. I hope I broke their fucking eardrums. This was after I had asked them to quit calling 4 different times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Steeleye Landsaver wrote:
Last time I got a call was about a year go. When a real person got on the line, I blew a whistle in the phone. I hope I broke their fucking eardrums. This was after I had asked them to quit calling 4 different times.

Hah hah! Good one, I'll have to remember that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Yeah, cause punishing the vast majority of their operators, who probably needed the money in this economy, is a great way of going about things.

Go after the head, not the grunts who just needed minimum wage to put food on the table. If the operators acted like dicks, that's one thing.

You also have to remember that there are currently like 15-20 companies or more all making the same calls, so you might be getting called by different call centers who are operating on a different dialing machine.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
So the people who actually sell the fraud aren't culpable? They're innocent "workers" that just need the money? Fuck that. They know what they're doing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 AM 

Actually a lot of them (most of them) probably don't. If you actually agree to buy, you get transferred to someone else who actually signs you up.

Though at this point, with the news coverage this has gotten, I'm not sure how they can remain unaware of it, but some people live in blissful ignorance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:36 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
There was this collection agency hounding me for my brothers phone number constantly. I kept telling them to fuck off. Day after day, so I resorted to using a hand held air horn, they only called me one more time after the first blast.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 AM 

as for these telemarketing calls, I blame the phone companies, they have to know when this shit is going down and it is in there power to stop it, they make money off it I am sure, so as long as they make money, we will be subjected to an endless fucking barrage of automated fucking calls

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

The operators working the jobs are certainly not innocent, but I pity them nonetheless. I had a friend in college who worked that, what a painful pointless existence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:12 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Miramicha at Work wrote:
as for these telemarketing calls, I blame the phone companies, they have to know when this shit is going down and it is in there power to stop it, they make money off it I am sure, so as long as they make money, we will be subjected to an endless fucking barrage of automated fucking calls

I thought so too but the woman I spoke with at Verizon said they couldn't. I forget exactly what she said but I had the impression that essentially they were able to somehow spoof numbers and were doing it over VOIP, so they weren't blockable, but it was something under investigation. The phone company has every reason to want to block calls like this, this isn't the 1980s where the phone company is making big bucks on long distance charges or some shit. :)

Now it wasn't the auto warranty I don't think but the other one that was going around, but it had the exact same dialer message except it was 'about your account' rather than 'auto warranty'.

Oh and as to people using air horns? It doesn't do shit to the person on the other end...their headsets do have volume control, they're not hearing that air blast at the level you're blasting it. In fact, a human might not be hearing it at all; as I'm pretty sure the dialers filter for fax machines and stuff. If it heard a solid tone like that it might just assume it's not a 'good' number and filter it. But hey, whatever works!

I'm just glad for the DNC list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

WoW: Prystus
Can you register a cell to the DNC list?

I registered mine and my parents numbers way back when it first started, and both phone numbers are starting to get those unwanted calls now, it; started happening early last year.

"People sometimes say that ideas cannot be stamped out by force. The Albigensian Crusade proves them wrong. Ideas can be stamped out by the elimination of everyone who holds the ideas." - Quote :"Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:02 AM 

Numbers do fall off of the DNC list, afaik. You should be signing them up ever year or so to make sure they stay on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
https://www.donotcall.gov

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:19 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Cell phones have not been targeted by most telemarketers for one reason. It's pretty much theft as the cell phone owner gets charged minutes for time usage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Interestingly they have to use the wardialers in Asia... pretty sure they are illegal here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:13 PM 

We recently got the government do not call list in Canada.

But it really just turned into a telemarketing call list, as anyone can access the list to see who not to call, then in turn pass these numbers over to out of country telemarketing con artists.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Garborg wrote:
Cell phones have not been targeted by most telemarketers for one reason. It's pretty much theft as the cell phone owner gets charged minutes for time usage.

Mine gets the warranty calls.

By the way if you buy one of the warranties you stop getting the calls.

Offline Profile