It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 PM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
OK, this is just messed up. I found this on Fark.

This is from the Smoking Gun. GOOD F*CKING GAWD.

If you ever wondered how dumb Paris Hilton is, or how much she gets paid for being dumb, wonder no more <--Link
Quote:
Paris Hilton, American Treasure
Hard-working heiress phones it in during sworn deposition

MAY 6--As we've previously reported, Paris Hilton is being sued over some crappy movie in which she appeared (the producers claim she failed to adequately promote the bomb). In a March 4 deposition, Hilton, 28, again showed why she is an American treasure. While being quizzed about her cellular phone usage, Hilton noted that, "I've never looked at my phone bill in my entire life," adding that she was unaware who paid such things for her. "With my phone I never know, because I lose it all the time," she testified. "I probably get a new cell phone like every two weeks." Later in the deposition, when questioned again about her phone, Hilton was apologetic: "I just feel bad. This is my first time looking at a phone bill." When asked about her responsibilities as an executive producer on "Pledge This!," the film at the center of the U.S. District Court civil litigation, Hilton replied, "I'm not sure what a producer does, but--I don't know, help get cool people in the cast." On a more serious (and depressing) note, the court file includes a confidential chart detailing the payments Hilton received in 2006 and 2007 for promotional work. During those two years, Hilton banked a whopping $22,013,660.25 pushing perfume, Prosecco, clothing and other products. She also banked $150,000 for appearing at a Las Vegas nightclub's 2007 Halloween party. (7 pages)

Read the link.
This bitch is as dumb as a stump!
But, DAMN, she sure makes the bucks for it!
I am just going to go cry now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Don't blame her. Blame the morons in society for contributing to her wealth.

Like I say in the sports boards... we can bitch and complain all we want about athlete's salaries. And yet we contribute to them by buying tickets, buying jerseys, etc.

Our society is a superficial society, and people like her cash in on our idioticness. Hell if someone paid me 150k to go to a Halloween party, you bet your ass I would be there. Just like anyone here would too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
WorthyIam wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Doesn't even really bother me. /shrug. Everyone has something to offer. She's a moron, but she's a recognizable moron who probably sells a zillion dollars worth of perfume, and fills parties. Everyone does their part! heh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Personal brand.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Haha, if that doesn't make Orme's argument...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:11 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
I'm sure she's lead a very different childhood-adult life than everyone you could possibly compare her to. If you didn't have to worry about your bills, would you bother knowing about them? I wouldn't. I would worry about what's on my schedule next (party) and then how I'm getting home later (limo) and if the guy I'm going to sleep with has any STDs (HPV and herpes). I don't see reading over my cell phone bill being a necessity or even a topic of conversation.

<3 Nana

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:40 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Just another dumb person who is famous for being famous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:17 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
She didn't even need to be famous to be rich.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Hey, if she gets paid for doing nothing, more power to her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
I bought a pair of ruby sunglasses off of her once I do believe.

Harris Pilton

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Personal brand.

I guess, if you want your "personal brand" to be an STD-ridden moron despised the world over for being the embodiment of a large amount of what's sad about society.

But sure, she's got money and I know that's how you measure a life, Orme. <3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:16 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Burn

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Being a stronger advocate now of personal freedom than I was in a previous life, I don't think we should give two shits how this doorknob makes her money, as long as it's legal.

In a larger sense though, I don't like the idea of a society of people so retarded they don't know how to read a phone bill. So I'm torn on this one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:53 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
Personal brand.

I guess, if you want your "personal brand" to be an STD-ridden moron despised the world over for being the embodiment of a large amount of what's sad about society.

But sure, she's got money and I know that's how you measure a life, Orme. <3

You don't have to approve of something to acknowledge it exists. Understanding that Paris Hilton is so successful because of how she has marketed herself does not equate to actually liking her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Who's approving or disapproving? I'm just stating the facts.

Orme wants to talk about her "personal brand" and I just described how the world perceives her "personal brand".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

And even as they perceive her personal brand as a "STD-ridden moron despised the world over for being the embodiment of a large amount of what's sad about society," they enable her to keep right at it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Orme, let me know if you want to go halfsies with me on my restraining order on Venen. I'm sure we could get a group rate from the attorneys if you wanted to add Bovinity.

:axe:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Of course, we already established that. I didn't dispute the fact that she has money. (Which she would have even if no one knew who she was, by the way.)

I just felt like expanding on the "personal brand" subject if Orme was going to bring it up. If Paris Hilton is a grand example of "personal branding" success in his eyes, then I guess money really is everything.

Of course, I'm sure that most people will agree that realistically she's done nothing to work on her "personal brand". I doubt she drove out to clubs every night thinking, "Man, I hope do a good job building my personal brand tonight!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Orme, let me know if you want to go halfsies with me on my restraining order on Venen. I'm sure we could get a group rate from the attorneys if you wanted to add Bovinity.

Oh noes, people that are members on a message board reply to posts made by other members!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:24 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Orme only said two words in this thread, which were a simple fact of how Paris Hilton has made zillions off this pop culture society.

You have now mentioned him in almost all of yours replies; if you count the quote from Joxur, then all of them.

A bit over the top don't you think?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:33 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

You're clearly lacking some context, Mr. Traxor.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:05 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
Of course, I'm sure that most people will agree that realistically she's done nothing to work on her "personal brand". I doubt she drove out to clubs every night thinking, "Man, I hope do a good job building my personal brand tonight!"

While I am not a fan, I believe she spends a great deal of time and effort portraying herself exactly as she wants to, and she is very good at knowing what a certain segment of the population wants to see/follow. Madonna was the absolute master of a mediocre talent with a superstar brain for branding herself. She's one of the smartest woman in hollywood (maybe behind Oprah).

I don't think money has any relevance in this discussion. She is an example of successful branding because she is percieved exactly as she wants to be percieved. Orme must be amused at winning a page long debate with a single 2 word post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:22 AM 

I'm missing Joxur's anti-Obama threads. I don't know if he caved to pressure or what, but those article links followed by 2 lines of his own thoughts were classic. I just wish they were a little less predictable.

/pat Joxur. It'll be ok, big guy. Someday someone will accuse you of being smarter than a toad; it may even happen within our lifetimes. You've already done such an excellent job of convincing everyone to see your viewpoint on a political level(/cough /gag).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 AM 

I'm the United States to your Pakistan. You hate me, but you can't stop watching mah movies!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:02 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Quote:

I don't despise her and I don't really feel like she embodies what's sad about our society. I can think of a lot of things that I consider worse about our society than Paris Hilton. Honestly, she barely registers with me at all, outside of threads like this where she's the topic of conversation. She's just a person who has played to her strengths successfully. Given her resources in some areas and obvious lack in others, I think she's taken a very productive path in life.
I wouldn't want America to be full of people like her, but then I wouldn't want America to be full of any celebrity, really. She provides entertainment for millions of people with her antics, and makes money from it. There's worse things in life to be worried about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 PM 
Spider Slayer

I think it's dumb to say she marketed/branded herself that way. Her agent/s and other smart people milking her did, not her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Someone tell the thousands of blond bombshells that are still waitressing in LA that all they need is Paris' agent. She has nothing to do with her own success.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Someone tell the thousands of blond bombshells that are still waitressing in LA that all they need is Paris' agent. She has nothing to do with her own success.

I think people in this thread keep forgetting that she had tons of money beforehand. It's a lot easier to get your face on a camera when you're one of those blonde bombshells throwing money around in clubs and a member of a well-known family and shit, sir. Seems like people want us to think she just moved to LA with nothing and got famous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I think you're diminishing the reality of how many women fit the description of being very hot and having a boat load of money. Bah...I've hit my Paris post quota. None of this matters anyway, it was just a point that personal brand does have an effect regardless of who you want to give credit to for actually creating the brand.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:39 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

She's not even all that hot. She's simply made the most of what she started with. She happened to start with a lot of money, decent looks, and not much else. I'm pretty sure Rhodes scholar wasn't in the cards with that skillset. I still give her credit for playing to her strengths. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:01 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I would really like to see what she would get on the G.O.A.T.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:10 AM 
Spider Slayer

I guess if an ex-bf posting videos of you going ass to mouth is a strength, yeah she played to her strengths.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:40 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Because clearly she should be criticized for her ex posting a video of what they did in the bedroom. Yes, good point sir!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:49 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
If she did a2m in that video, I don't remember it =P

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:52 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Because clearly she should be criticized for her ex posting a video of what they did in the bedroom. Yes, good point sir!

I think you may have missed the point. (Or maybe I did.)

The video was another one of those things that vastly increased her notoriety, and unless she intentionally had something to do with it being released it's another example of how she didn't really work on a "brand" at all other than just being a spoiled little rich slut.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

She was fine in "Repo - the genetic opera". Granted she was mostly playing herself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:03 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

I just think the video is largely irrelevant. Granted, allowing yourself to be filmed having sex isn't the brightest thing(IMO), but once done it was likely out of her control. I doubt she had anything to do with it's release. Snarky comments about it used to marginalize her success just strike me as grasping for straws.

She was famous before the sex tape. She's still famous after. I think her notoriety isn't particularly contingent upon it, even if it is a contributing factor. I associate her more with that crappy reality show and shitty movies than I do with the sex tape or her perfume, or whatever it is she sells.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:04 PM 
I schooled the old school.

I honestly thought the sex tape is what made her famous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:49 PM 
Spider Slayer

It is, same with Kim Kardashian. No one gave a fuck about them until they got pounded in the ass.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
I honestly thought the sex tape is what made her famous.

Was it the tape or that show with Nicole Richie where they went to live on a farm that came first? I remember seeing ads for that show before I saw the sex tape, but I may just be remembering wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:35 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

you never go a2m

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:57 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Pretty sure the show came first. I remember seeing bits of that way before I ever heard of the sex tape. I'd have to google it or something to be sure though, I guess. It may have just been a while before I heard about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 AM 

My memory says it was the sex tape.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:07 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Simple Life was out before the sex tape became public, I remember that. I don't think the sex tape would have been nearly as talked about if no one had heard of the chick before it.

Granted, I didn't know who the hell Kim Kardashian was before her sex tape made the rounds, but she's kind of Paris Hilton-lite anyways. Which is actually a very sad commentary on her life, if you think about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 AM 

The "official release" of "one night in paris" came after the simple life, but the video made the rounds on pay porn sites for about a year before the simple life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

You know far too many details about this, Van...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 AM 

You know the industry I work for, Leo. :P

Offline Profile