It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:06 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Waterboarding
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Apparently the difference between pain and fear of pain is over your head.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:27 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I agree that waterboarding is torture, I also think torture is acceptable on a convicted terrorist. They do not get the the benefit of having a country (the geneva conventions of prisoners) and the benefit of not having a country (no one to negotiate with, no country to declare war on etc). They are taking advantages from both sides.

I will go so far as to say I am in favor of taking organs from convicted terrorists and giving them to people in need on the donor list. The only issue I have is how do you properly convict someone to insure they get a fair trial and are not railroaded by some political agenda (ie. the McCarthy era). I don't know how to insure that doesn't happen, which is why the whole organ thing is hypothetical, since I can't guarantee that only the truly guilty will be convicted, but that is how little regard I would have for their lives if I could have such proof.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Snarky00 wrote:

Simply epic. You don't have an attention span past three sentences, do you? Just for you, I'll keep this conversation to that limit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:48 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Drajeck wrote:
I agree that waterboarding is torture, I also think torture is acceptable on a convicted terrorist.

Why would you wait till after conviction? Sorry but I think people are a little delussional when it comes to having any clue what is being done 24/7 to keep stuff like 9/11 from happening. Not only post 9/11. I do think the government should have more rules about freedom of information. To allow secrects out after 40 years.

Hind sight will always make you #1 board whore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:58 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Ahh the good old insult fallback. Classic stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:59 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Sarissa wrote:
People ignore risk, but when the event occurs they look for someone to blame and want them bbq. The methods aren't pleasant, but they do yield results. After the lambasting the intel agencies received after 9/11 I'm not at all surprised they pulled everything they could out of their toolbox to avoid another incident.

The intelligence failure was a failure with the intelligence, it was a failure with how it was disseminated. The majority of this failure lies with the politicization, and subsequent polarization of the intel community. If you are where I think you are, Sarissa, you should be familiar with that by now.

Drajeck wrote:
It is possible that the time frame to do this would make the information garnered less useful, but in this case, any beneficial knowledge is worth the act if it stays within these boundaries imo.

The knowledge gained is a minor point. The major point, that you missed, is that the cost is too high. We are sacrificing our entire high ground here.

Drajeck wrote:
You want to label prudence as fear mongering just to make it sounds absurd and right wing fanatical.

Because it IS absurd. Put it into perspective. You might as well be a South Park character screaming "Dey tuuukk ourrr joooooobbbsss!", because it's equivalent.

Drajeck wrote:
I say we cannot afford it because every life is precious and it is this government’s job to do everything in its power to protect those lives. I don't mean the country will collapse or that it will in any way inconvenience YOU, but all the dead people might not be so keen on it.

Two points. One, I won't quibble over that being the government's job according to the framers, so I'll stick to the point. The key words in your statement are "do everything in its power" It's NOT in the government's power to torture. Two, the dead people may not be keen on dying (no shit, who is?). What about the LIVING people, of which there are far more, who have to watch their rights degrade, watching torture occur and the suspension of habeas corpus. I'm sorry, but the revolutionaries who fought, and also died, for this country thought those rights were worth dying for. You rhetoric erases that. The people who died, didn't die defending our rights exactly, but they did die with them intact. And frankly, given the choice, I'd be happy to do the same. That's a true patriot. Not the asshole cheering as we kick the shit out of the brown people while putting a ribbon on the bumper of their F-150.

Drajeck wrote:
I agree that waterboarding is torture, I also think torture is acceptable on a convicted terrorist. They do not get the the benefit of having a country (the geneva conventions of prisoners) and the benefit of not having a country (no one to negotiate with, no country to declare war on etc). They are taking advantages from both sides.

I will go so far as to say I am in favor of taking organs from convicted terrorists and giving them to people in need on the donor list. The only issue I have is how do you properly convict someone to insure they get a fair trial and are not railroaded by some political agenda (ie. the McCarthy era). I don't know how to insure that doesn't happen, which is why the whole organ thing is hypothetical, since I can't guarantee that only the truly guilty will be convicted, but that is how little regard I would have for their lives if I could have such proof.

Great, then YOU are a traitor to your country and all that we've stood for. Be very careful what you wish for. You may get it, to the detriment of us all. And that's the REAL danger to this country, not the crazy arabs who can barely put together functional IED's in their own country.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:04 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Snarky00 wrote:
Ahh the good old insult fallback. Classic stuff.

Snarky00 wrote:

So, you're blind to your own actions when you choose to berate another for their usage. Funny how that fits into your support of waterboarding, really. Oh, and still three sentences, as the pending post-script smiley doesn't count. :skewl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
It's very sandbox-ish, which could define the first failure. Agencies also like to overreact. They ended up in a situation where there were few good options. Either they wait a few months to rebuild good HUMINT, and get fired if another attack happened, or they press their assets as hard as they could. Congress wanted guarantees, so they took the harsher track. Folks that are crying out in opposition now, were briefed on the specifics and chose to remain silent at the time. Hence the rabid fighting over what information gets released and when.

I guarantee KSM told them a lot more than was reported. These things aren't shared with the public, which is why there's pressure to declassify the memos.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:30 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You insulted me so I responded in kind. Just because I recognize when someone is using a ploy to avoid the subject we were discussing before they came in and started throwing shit like a monkey doesn't mean I'm above getting into it. Hell, I'm talking about it being okay to trick someone into thinking they might die and you think I'm going to hesitate to respond to a childish post with some frivolous insults of my own. Everything else aside that is pretty ignorant.

http://news.findlaw.com/nytimes/docs/do ... 102mem.pdf

Quote:
As we understand it, when the waterboard is used, the subject's body responds as if the subject were drowning -- even though the subject may be well aware that he is in fact not drowning. You have informed us that this procedure does not inflict actual physical harm. Thus, although the subject may experience the fear or panic associated with the feeling of drowning, the waterboard does not inflict physical pain. as we explained in the Section 2340A Memorandum, "pain and suffering" as used in Section 2340 is best understood as a single concept, not distinct concepts of "pain" as distinguished from "suffering"… The waterboard, which inflicts no pain or actual harm whatsoever, does not, in our view, inflict "severe pain and suffering". Even if one were to parse the stature more "finely" to attempt to treat suffering as a distinct concept, the waterboard could not be said to inflict severe suffering. The waterboard is simply a controlled acute episode, lacking the connotation of a protracted period of time generally given to suffering… We find the use of the waterboard constitutes a threat of imminent death… Although the procedure will be monitored by personnel with medical training and extensive SERE school experience with this procedure who will ensure the subject's mental and physical safety, the subject is not aware of any of these precautions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
I would love to have a real discussion about this because I'm trying to be open minded and enjoy seeing other points of view, but it's getting a little too playground name calling for me to be interested anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Didn't we execute Japanese soldiers for torture via waterboarding?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I thought so, but I'm not sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:00 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I'm pretty sure it would have been one of a long list of charges.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Just for you, I'll keep this conversation to that limit.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:16 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:
Just for you, I'll keep this conversation to that limit.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT

PUSH IT REAL GOOD.

DUN dun DUN dun DUN dun...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:22 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Drajeck wrote:

You're arguing from a rainbows and unicorns supposition. You qualify your support for torture by saying IF it were possible to convict them with some unquantified degree of proof then it would be okay to do anything we want to them: torture, removal of organs, whatever. In another post you mention having UN people on juries; do you realize what countries currently sit on the UN human rights commission? They are a joke.

There is no way to convict, with any degree of certainty, these alleged terrorists. 1) Every time it goes into a courtroom US human intelligence assets will have to be revealed which means that we'd have to start from scratch getting new assets in the field after every trial. 2) We send innocent people to death row in the best judicial system in the world often enough that public opinion is turning from pro-death penalty to anti-death penalty. 3) Where exactly do you propose trying them? What standard of proof is admissable? What discovery will their defense team be allowed? What appeals process will be put in place? 4) We chose to make these alleged terrorists our prisoners thus it is our responsibility to see that justice is served. (Ellessar was already very eloquent on this point)

It's all well and good to say your view is hypothetical but those men being held and tortured are real and so are the ones who were held for years before we released them because we determined they were no threat. Supporting what has been done to them is about as unamerican as it gets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:46 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Zj ... jA=&w=MQ==

Quote:
SO IS WATERBOARDING TORTURE?
Again, we do not know the details of waterboarding as practiced (if, as reported, it is or has been practiced) by the CIA. Yet, we know generally that waterboarding is very rough stuff. It is not especially painful physically and causes no lasting bodily injury; yet, it is intended to create the sensation of drowning in a person who is bound and temporarily suffocated. Administered by someone who knows what he is doing, there is presumably no actual threat of drowning or suffocation; for the victim, though, there is clearly fear of imminent death and he could pass out from the deprivation of oxygen.

The sensation is temporary, not prolonged. There shouldn’t be much debate that subjecting someone to it repeatedly would cause the type of mental anguish required for torture. But what about doing it once, twice, or some number of instances that were not prolonged or extensive?

Reasonable minds can and do differ on this. Personally, I don’t believe it qualifies. It is not in the nature of the barbarous sadism universally condemned as torture, an ignominy the law, as we’ve seen, has been patently careful not to trivialize or conflate with lesser evils. The Washington Post and Sen. Edward Kennedy have pointed to a World War II era war crimes prosecution by the U.S. against a Japanese soldier who used what was described as “water torture” on an American civilian. But they’ve failed to note that this was far from the only conduct at issue; the soldier was also charged with having engaged, over a sustained period of time, in “beating using hands, fists, club; kicking; … burning using cigarettes; strapping on a stretcher head downward.” The case hardly stands for the proposition that isolated instances of waterboarding would be torture.

Moreover, American military and intelligence services reportedly use (or, at least, have used) waterboarding in their counter-interrogation training programs. Congress carved no exception into torture law for such exercises. Consequently, a conclusion that waterboarding is torture would be tantamount to a finding that our own services are committing a heinous felony, the equivalent of a war crime, against our own operatives — something I believe it is fair to say Congress cannot possibly have intended.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.

Quote:
of body or mind;

Quote:
or mind

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:56 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The dictionary definition and the legal definition of torture are two separate things. The dictionary definition is not important when debating the legality of waterboarding.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 AM 

I disagree. The word torture is a very subjective word, and it is rather difficult to establish what it does and doesn't include. By that, it falls to a majority of people to decide how they do or don't interpret it - and thus, under the purview of a dictionary definition. An encyclopedic definition might elaborate on it a bit, but the common interpretation of what it actually means to people is going to be found in the dictionary. IMO, the legal definition should follow the same guidelines.

But, even if we were to go the encyclopedic route, there are still many interpretations that include mental torture. For many people, mental pain can cause MUCH more agony than most types of physical pain. Of course it might depend on your pain threshold as well.

If anything should be a measure of torture, should it not be based on the distress or suffering of the victim?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:12 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

The problem I have with that definition is that the word anguish is so broad that almost any negative action one human being takes towards another could be said to cause mental anguish and therefore according to that definition it would be torture. When a convicted killer receives the death penalty does that not cause mental anguish to their family? Torture. Does a prisoner with a life sentence suffer from mental anguish when they think about their actions and the consequences they are suffering? Torture. When someone gets mugged or has another crime committed against them do they suffer mental anguish thinking about what happened? You would have to tack torture onto almost every other crime someone was convicted of if you use that definition.

Quote:
If anything should be a measure of torture, should it not be based on the distress or suffering of the victim?

To me it would depend on whether that distress or suffering was acute or if it was prolonged. I assume that we still have custody of the four individuals that waterboarding was used on. Are they still suffering from distress or suffering? I don't think waterboarding causes suffering at all, it causes acute distress and it is possible for someone to develop prolonged distress from any situation that causes them distress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
Snarky00 wrote:
The dictionary definition and the legal definition of torture are two separate things. The dictionary definition is not important when debating the legality of waterboarding.

What about the morality of it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Shh. Don't confuse the man, Tyral.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:30 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You're right Tyral It would be pretty immoral to let these guys sit on information that would save the lives of innocent civilians.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Snarky00 wrote:
You're right Tyral It would be pretty immoral to let these guys sit on information that would save the lives of innocent civilians.

Except that you don't know if they have information, so you could be doing it to someone who genuinely can't tell you anything.

And, frankly, we're the United States of America. We're the good guys, or we used to be. Torturing people isn't what the good guys do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:08 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

So interesting how lines on this issue get drawn. This thread definitely separates the Libertarians from the chaff.

Why do Libertarians have such a strong presence on the internet but such miniscule voting power?

:blah5:

/ramble

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:28 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
noojens wrote:
So interesting how lines on this issue get drawn. This thread definitely separates the Libertarians from the chaff.

Why do Libertarians have such a strong presence on the internet but such miniscule voting power?

:blah5:

/ramble

Because if they say this kinda shit in public people see them for the {crackpot|moron|monster} that they really are.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:04 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Vanamar wrote:
Because if they say this kinda shit in public people see them for the {crackpot|moron|monster} that they really are.

I'm not sure we agree which side most Libertarians would fall on in this particular conversation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:17 PM 

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
Vanamar wrote:

I'm not sure we agree which side most Libertarians would fall on in this particular conversation.

considering the ideal libertarian government is quasi-organized anarchy, I'm relatively sure torture would be "okay", or at best mildly frowned upon :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Vanamar wrote:
considering the ideal libertarian government is quasi-organized anarchy, I'm relatively sure torture would be "okay", or at best mildly frowned upon :P

I don't get where that idea comes from. Libertarians are typically fiscally conservative and socially "progressive." I don't think many people would view torture as progressive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:43 AM 

Having been a member of the libertarian party for a number of years, I can tell you that the vast majority of the "official" libertarians are really nothing more than anarchists who "talk pretty"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

"Anarchy is the least stable form of government. It falls apart at a touch." -Larry Niven

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:29 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
johnny rotten for president 2012

Offline Profile