It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Real Work Sucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:58 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Syuni D'zpecyzczn wrote:
On a related note, I'd still like to see which one of us is the better bladesman between Tyral and I.

I dunno Syuni, you were pretty handy with that flogger at the New Years party? ;>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:36 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
A cat o' nine uses different technique than a solid blade, Mono, but I'm glad you remember. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
That sounds like it was an interesting party.

Anyways, what kind of sword(s) do you typically use, Syuni?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Nunchaku skills... bowhunting skills... computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:31 PM 
Queen of the Lemmings

monocot wrote:
Syuni D'zpecyzczn wrote:
On a related note, I'd still like to see which one of us is the better bladesman between Tyral and I.

I dunno Syuni, you were pretty handy with that flogger at the New Years party? ;>

Syuni's always had a knack for a good flogging

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:14 AM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

EQ1: Phread Ritesaid
WoW: Chipps (Sombrero)
Bzalthek wrote:
There's a whole lot of retard in this thread. So I figured I should post to complete the set.

Please refrain from using the R-Word.
http://www.r-word.org
Thank you for your support. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:13 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
That site is so retarded. O_o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:17 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

EQ1: Kailtor(trex)
WoW: Kaltina - Alleria
This thread isn't very good at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Wow, I missed this thread entirely. Interesting, if Sky is really gone for good. I kind of wish he wasn't though. I thought he was a douche, sure, but I still think it was primarily a manufactured persona. It's debatable what sort of personality is drawn to construct such a thing and maybe he really is a bad person; I dunno. Regardless, I didn't take him very seriously ever, and he entertained me often enough when I viewed him as sort of a sideshow act. Plus, I think some conflict is good for a message board.

(I think I'm in a definite minority though. I wished DrX wouldn't have left too. I thought he was funny. I don't think he was ever trying to be funny, but he amused me.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:25 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I don't like that "goodbye post" either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:22 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

xskycrasherx wrote:
I'm a bad person because I troll messageboards? Ok.
No, you're a bad person because you're an instable and insecure attention whore who brags about getting into law school and posts picture of your poor kid up for strangers.

With all the "don't rip his kid" threads, I have to laugh. I know others have posted kid-pics, but are you kididng me? No way would I post a picture of any family members on a public message board, especially one where I'm hated. That alone shows what a piece of shit sky is - exploiting his own kid for attention? Come on.

And beyond that, anything you post is free game. Someone posting "I am so liberal I can say niggers/cunt/spic/whatever" is far worse than someone pointing out his kid has Flowbee haircut.

And the law school thing also makes me laugh. Can't remember - did you ever state the law school? Most evening/weekend programs will take anyone who signs up. Bragging about getting into a law school is like posting "OMG AMWAY IS GOING TO LET ME BUY A FRANCHISE!"

Anyhoo... just to summarize: trolling doesn't make you bad. Being a douche makes you bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:37 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

joxur wrote:
Let's see. No Masters degree I'm betting, so what can he teach? Not college, in GA at any rate. Daycare? Should we send out an Amber Alert for Salt Lake City, if so? heh. Please God tell me he doesn't actually have access to impressionable young minds. I'm not sure I could sleep at night. How can he be accomplished if he's switching occupations already?
/resists urge to comment on the teaching profession...

However, as an FYI - you can teach college without an advanced degree.

I have taught "Intro to Windows Networks" and "Intro to Programming" at a community college. The kids there were primarily working for Associates, but could get a Bachelor with my credit hours as the basis. I had a BS and was certified in Microsoft, so that is a little different than a hafl-ass History degree. Also, only about half my MBA instructors have had a PhD.

I have a friend who taught several classes at a community college in computer hardware and networking. He had a BA in Marketing. :)

The pay was mediocre. I want to say it was $300ish per credit hour. So for a 10 week, 3 hour class I would make just under $1000. However, that class actually lead to a couple part-time consulting gigs that paid $75/hour :) :) :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:55 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Community colleges in TN are about the same. Need Bachelors + so many hours of masters level courses in the field to teach (and teaching cert.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:56 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
CakvalaSC wrote:
I wear a pant size 30 to 32... I bet it will get larger when I start my new sit down job unless they have a Gym in the building.

Wow. How? Hehe, I'm 6'3 and around 180 and there's no way I could fit in 32's. I think I'd suffocate.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

WOW - I got to this party late. Just now read the "I QUIT" post and fall-out.

Here's my 2 cents on Vanamar's "threat". Basically, people said "if the people you worked with read this, they would realize what a shit bag you are and fire you." He said "no they wouldn't, I'm not a bad person." And Vanamar said, "ok, tell me who to send it to and we'll find out."

That's no different than the whole Givin is fat/post pics to prove it shit.

Bottom line, people can only get as personal on these boards and in-game as you let them. When you post all sorts of personal information to people that hate you, bad things can happen.

Don't show your tits to a camera on Spring Break and then cry about Girls Gone Wild showing them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:34 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Larreth wrote:
CakvalaSC wrote:
I wear a pant size 30 to 32... I bet it will get larger when I start my new sit down job unless they have a Gym in the building.

Wow. How? Hehe, I'm 6'3 and around 180 and there's no way I could fit in 32's. I think I'd suffocate.
Ya, 32 is certainly not "average". Most normal adult males that I know break down like this:
30 - anorexic
32 - very lean
34 - fit
36 - bit heavy
38 - heavy
40 - too heavy
42+ time to lose some serious poundage!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:26 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
It really also depends on your body height and type.

I am 6'5" and around 215 or so. I currently am in a size 38, and if you saw me I definitely do not fit the "too heavy" profile. Yeah I have a little bit of a gut on me (age 35 and not into fitness/exercise anymore will do that) but nothing that would even put me on the "heavy" definition.

Also if you look at a lot of NBA players who are 6'5" and 215 like me... they also don't look like me at all. Athletic build, lean stomach, etc etc. Not sure what pant size they are wearing, but considering half of them want to wear their pants below their ass they might be in a 38 like me :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

5'10" to 6'2" is normal.
6'5" isn't quite normal :)

Also, it depends on frame size. These are generalities.

I should say "average" maybe instead of normal. Saying "not normal" sounds like it's meant to be "bad" and it's not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:42 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Tyral the Kithless wrote:
That sounds like it was an interesting party.

Anyways, what kind of sword(s) do you typically use, Syuni?

I used to spar w/ katana and their derivatives (no dachi, etc), both live steel and rattan. Very sweeping style, where you treat the edge as a razor blade and cut with the wrist.

Later, I picked up some English-style longswords. They're really not the slashing, saber-style weapons many people see in films. They feel (and function) a lot more like axes, if that makes any sense.

Recently, a friend of mine has been working with me to get me accustomed to Florentine style. He says I have the wrist speed (no jokes, you!) and balance to do it, just need to focus.

Next, I'd love to get my hands on a classic greatsword, and learn that, but I've lost a lot of upper body mass due to some medical issues so I need to retrain for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:00 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Syuni D'zpecyzczn wrote:
Later, I picked up some English-style longswords. They're really not the slashing, saber-style weapons many people see in films. They feel (and function) a lot more like axes, if that makes any sense.
It does. I've had some training with the longsword, and some more extensive training with the Viking broadsword. I started with the katana myself (practicing mainly with bokken) when I was a teenager, so I'm well-acquainted with the differences.
Quote:
Next, I'd love to get my hands on a classic greatsword, and learn that, but I've lost a lot of upper body mass due to some medical issues so I need to retrain for it.
I've never really seen the appeal in a greatsword. And I'd suck at Florentine. My left hand is useless except to hold a shield. I can't imagine having another sword or a dagger in that hand and it be worth a shit. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Howd this become a sword fighting thread? Anyway, I'm mostly retired, but I used to do Long sword, cutlass, fencing etc. Medieval and then later pirate reenactment. Really my best weapon was the spear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:18 PM 

Are you guys LARPers?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:19 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

I'd love to train with the spear. I just don't know anyone that knows how to handle one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:07 PM 
Spider Slayer

varanlorax wrote:
Howd this become a sword fighting thread? Anyway, I'm mostly retired, but I used to do Long sword, cutlass, fencing etc. Medieval and then later pirate reenactment. Really my best weapon was the spear.

It was a sword fighting thread around page 1.

o snap

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:58 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
joxur wrote:
Are you guys LARPers?

No they are getting ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
joxur wrote:
Are you guys LARPers?

*Lightning Bolt Lightning Bolt*

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:48 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

While I don't have any hate for the larping crowd, I always wonder about /fantasize about some guy showing up with real guns and start screaming "Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!" while firing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:53 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

cicely wrote:
Not sure what pant size they are wearing, but considering half of them want to wear their pants below their ass they might be in a 38 like me :)

We have one living down the hall. Same situation as myself (and probably you). It's not the waist that's the problem, it's the thighs. Having done the bball thing myself it's a focus point for training, so most jeans and shit don't really accommodate for larger legs, thus the need for 40-42's and a good belt...and a slightly baggier ass look. Not much you can do short of getting them custom tailored. Which isn't too fucking cheap at Nordstrom's I can tell you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

My group was more reenactment than LARP. Though I did try LARPing once or twice.

Here's the group I was in, similar to the SCA but much smaller, earlier period and more authentic.

http://www.markland.org/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:16 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

what? sweat pants and a tunic aren't authentic?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:26 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I'm 6'4" 245lbs. Can wear 38s, usually wear 40s but with a belt. Pant size isn't terribly important for fitness levels. Whats more important to me is getting my stomach circumference down for getting into the military.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Snarky00 wrote:
I'm 6'4" 245lbs. Can wear 38s, usually wear 40s but with a belt. Pant size isn't terribly important for fitness levels. Whats more important to me is getting my stomach circumference down for getting into the military.

You should also work on strengthening your neck. It was something we had heavier guys do in the Army to help them pass a tape test. For a lot of guys, it's actually easier than trying to slim down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

I think when my recruiter plugged in the numbers for my neck being one inch thicker then when he taped it the numbers came out the same. I'd have to put on an inch and a half to two inches on my neck to change where my stomach needs to be. That is a lot of muscle and I'm not sure which exercises help build it there.

I already do circuit training twice a week and aerobic stuff three times a week. My problem is fighting a lifetime of awful eating habits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Get ready to fail the tape test on a regular basis. I was in the best shape of my life, and STILL had to get all the bullshit paperwork done each month by my 1st Sgt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:29 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I was 6'5 in the Army and was always borderline with my weight at 220ish.

There was a time in my life I was down to 180 but that was unnaturally thin for me. Most of my life has been in the 220-240 range. But I have been as small as 180 and as much as 290.

I don't think I remember getting the tape once in the Army and failing, but I made weight later on, so it wasn't a big deal.

My suggestion for you Snarky - Run, Run, Run. and then run some more. Or, alternatively, don't go into the military =P Being tall really sucks in the Army. It is a world designed for the 5'9 guy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
is far worse than someone pointing out his kid has Flowbee haircut.

Fucking comedy gold....

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:13 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Or, alternatively, don't go into the military =P Being tall really sucks in the Army. It is a world designed for the 5'9 guy.

I'm 5'9"! Woo! Military life for me! (Eeek)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5