Post subject: Re: Rave: Science!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:59 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Finding lots of good stuff today.

Stephen Hawking: "Humans Have Entered a New Stage of Evolution"
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... ution.html

Quote:
But we are now entering a new phase, of what Hawking calls "self designed evolution," in which we will be able to change and improve our DNA. "At first," he continues "these changes will be confined to the repair of genetic defects, like cystic fibrosis, and muscular dystrophy. These are controlled by single genes, and so are fairly easy to identify, and correct. Other qualities, such as intelligence, are probably controlled by a large number of genes. It will be much more difficult to find them, and work out the relations between them. Nevertheless, I am sure that during the next century, people will discover how to modify both intelligence, and instincts like aggression."

If the human race manages to redesign itself, to reduce or eliminate the risk of self-destruction, we will probably reach out to the stars and colonize other planets. But this will be done, Hawking believes, with intelligent machines based on mechanical and electronic components, rather than macromolecules, which could eventually replace DNA based life, just as DNA may have replaced an earlier form of life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:05 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

I was reading some of the comments in that last link and came across this one that cracked me up.
Quote:

<< What he's talking about in layman's terms (speaking to the dumbed down U.S. population here) is downloading your brain into a computer. That will be the next evolution of mankind. A lot of people are afraid of this becoming a reality. I welcome it. >>

Hello, I'm a Mac..
And I'M a PC..

:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:25 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
While the DNA replacement sounds good in theory, wouldn't machine evolution be deterministic?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Science is awesome!

Urine fuels car!

Quote:
Dr. Gerardine Botte, an Associate Professor from the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering department at Ohio University, extracting hydrogen
from urine--using electrolysis--will cost less than extracting hydrogen from water.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
How's the smell?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 PM 

Not bad if you stay hydrated..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 AM 

Astronomers study 'gargantuan' Jupiter impact
http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10291824-239.html

Quote:
An unseen comet or possibly an icy asteroid apparently crashed into Jupiter's atmosphere near the giant planet's south pole sometime during the last few days, creating a "gargantuan" blemish easily visible from Earth.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:59 AM 

Quote:
Bov beat me there. Intelligence isn't any apex of evolution. Whether or not it's even beneficial cannot be said. Beneficial equals survival and compared to many species who are no longer around but lasted much longer we're just blips on the radar.

Stephen Pinker in one of his books has a section where he talks about our bias towards intelligence and frames it instead as bias towards a 'trunk' so we can view it outside of ourselves to see how silly it is.

Personally, I think we're more than a bit stupid when recognizing intelligence in other species. I love using ants as an example, because by many standards that we would consider something a 'people'...ants qualify. They war. They take slaves. They farm (both growing crops, and raising other animals!). The list can go on. They're fascinating, but their form of 'intelligence' is about as alien as it can get from ours. So much so that most people wouldn't view them as 'intelligent' despite their achievements.

Well, when humanity gets to the point of colonizing other planets and making them somewhat self-sustaining(I think that's possible in our own solar system within a reasonable amount of time, we still have a bit to go though) our chances of sustaining our species go up... and when we move beyond our solar system, which may or may not happen TBH, our chances of long-lasting continuation of our species go up very dramatically.

If intelligence DOES in fact lead in that direction, I think there's a pretty good argument for it being the apex. I suppose we'd have to get there first to really say for certainty that it's an apex by definition... but even so, the mere fact that it's feasible due to intelligence is a pretty good argument for it. I don't think the fact that happenstance scenarios, such as full-scale nuclear war or manmade environmental catastrophes caused by intelligence necessarily detract from the fact that we *COULD* continue to progress and use intelligence to ensure the survival of our species. In that sense, I think it is the apex.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:16 PM 

Happy Friday!!

Wireless power system shown off
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8165928.stm?ls

Quote:
The system is based on work by physicist Marin Soljacic at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

It exploits "resonance", whereby energy transfer is markedly more efficient when a certain frequency is applied.

When two objects have the same resonant frequency, they exchange energy strongly without having an effect on other, surrounding objects.

For example, it is resonance that can cause a wine glass to explode when a singer hits exactly the right tone.

But instead of using acoustic resonance, Witricity's approach exploits the resonance of low frequency electromagnetic waves.

Quote:

1. Magnetic coil (Antenna A) is housed in a box and can be set in wall or ceiling.
2. Antenna A, powered by mains, resonates at a specific frequency.
3. Electromagnetic waves transmitted through the air.
4. Second magnetic coil (Antenna B) fitted in laptop/TV etc resonates at same frequency as first coil and absorbs energy.
5. Energy charges the device.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:30 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

So, let's say you have a giant Antenna A, I wonder how many Antenna Bs you can have. Like, one in every car would be awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:44 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The transfer is pretty inefficient over distance. It'll work within a room but to work within, say, a shopping mall the transmitter wouldn't be safe for humans to be around.

The charging table that's being developed is pretty neat. Basically you'd be able to drop your devices on an end-table and they inductively charge through its surface. No more cables to lose, and it'd likely work in a car too so bye bye cigarette lighter. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:45 PM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

Intelligence does give adaptability, which certainly helps survival, wether it is apex or not ...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:00 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

That resonance was tested out by Myth Busters once; it's not really strong enough to actually break a wine glass as it suggests without extreme circumstances.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:53 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Ah well, at least it's a baby step in the right direction. Hopefully there will be continued research instead of an OMG IT CAN'T FIX THE WORLD BY TOMORROW AND GIVE ME A BLOWJOB AT THE SAME TIME ITS WORTHLESS!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:26 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

It's not a matter of time, it's physics. At best radiofrequency energy dissipates according to the inverse square law. Double the distance = 1/4 the energy.

So you either need to have a very large source of power, which would not be human safe, or to transmit over relatively small distances. Short of a game breaker like a magnetic monopole I don't see it happening.

Optics on the other hand have some interesting possibilities for power transfer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:10 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

You're so full of shit. I, and every other gamer here knows, we just need to level our electronics technology to level 10 and have a bunch of level 7+ antenna manufacturing plants.

Duh!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:24 AM 

Quote:
Intelligence does give adaptability, which certainly helps survival, wether it is apex or not ...

How about "current apex of all known adaptive traits"? =p I agree though, apex might be too strong of a word for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:22 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Venen wrote:
Quote:

How about "current apex of all known adaptive traits"? =p I agree though, apex might be too strong of a word for it.

Not even close. Look at what HAS survived relatively unchanged for long periods of time. Tell me how 'smart' a trilobite is. They were around for 300 MILLION YEARS (which is why they're such a common fossil). In the big scheme of things that's highly successful. And they're gone. Why? No one knows for sure, but what is certain, they failed to adapt and were wiped out. Probably because sharks showed up, another highly successful group.

Humans have been around how long? If we go with the most generous estimates around half a million years, probably less. And only about 10,000 years from the stone age? I don't even know how to quantify that, I mean if all of history were a 24 hour day, I'd bet humans don't even show up a second before midnight it's probably later than that. It's *nothing*.

As I'm human I'm also biased. I'd give much longer odds to our survival as a species if we colonize beyond earth. Of course at that point human evolution also radically changes, because it's likely people will be cut off, and over time (long long periods of time) there will be changes, until eventually there's splits again...but if we don't get off planet? My guess is we'll go extinct LONG before our sun burns out. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:24 PM 

I know, there are too many species to count that have gone longer periods without becoming extinct. I'm just saying I can't think of another species that actually has as much of a shot as we do at perpetual survivability. Provided there isn't a Drengin Empire in space somewhere to slaughter us all, or some kind of galactic catastrophe(Andromeda merging with us may be an issue some time down the road), it'd be pretty hard to finish us off once we become space-faring. We'd probably still be our own worst enemy, granted.

I'm saying if things go right, there is more potential there for perpetual existence than any other species has seen. Things going perfectly right for the dinosaurs meant you could still be wiped out by a meteor, gamma ray burst, supervolcano, or a diminished food supply. Things going perfectly for any other species faced the exact same problems. It's still potential, but it's a point in evolution that can achieve something no other species could ever come close to achieving before: extra-planetary survival. I think we toot our own horns a bit, but I think we remain objective about ourselves and suggest that that fact alone is unique with infinite potential.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 PM 

Mysteriously High Tides on East Coast Perplex Scientists
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/hightides/

Quote:
From Maine to Florida, the Atlantic seaboard has experienced higher tides than expected this summer. At their peak in mid-June, the tides at some locations outstripped predictions by two feet.

The change has come too fast to be attributed to melting ice sheets or anything quite that dramatic, and it’s a puzzle for scientists who’ve never seen anything quite like it.

Happy Friday!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:20 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I thought this was pretty fucking cool. Bobby McFerrin showing the ubiquity of the pentatonic scale (the science bit) and improvising (just for fun) at the World Science Festival 2009. Enjoy :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 PM 

DARPA Readies an Ultra-Fast Mini-Sub
http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation ... t-mini-sub

Quote:
In a world of rapidly evolving threats, every branch of the military is looking for a way to respond as quickly as possible. But whereas the Air Force, Army and Marines can simply fly to whatever hot spot flares up next, the Navy, by its very nature, still needs to sail. That's where the Underwater Express comes in.

Currently, the Navy's fastest submarine can only travel at 25 to 30 knots while submerged. But if everything goes according to plan, the Underwater Express will speed along at 100 knots, allowing the delivery of men and materiel faster than ever.

The DARPA program, first announced in 2006, has finally reached the testing phase. Electric Boat, the company contracted to design the Underwater Express, is producing a quarter-scale model of the speedy sub, to be tested next year off the coast of Rhode Island.

The sub utilizes the phenomenon known as supercavitation. Supercavitation is the process wherein an object moves so fast through the water that it creates a gas bubble around itself, nearly eliminating drag. Unencumbered by the high drag of water, the object is free to speed along at much higher speeds than otherwise possible. Supercavitation has been known since the end of World War Two, and the Soviets succeeded in creating a torpedo that utilizes supercavitation for high-speed travel, but so far no one has succeeded in scaling the effect up to the size of a whole submarine.

If next year's tests work out, Electric Boat will begin assembly on a full-sized, 100-foot-long Underwater Express.
Hmm.. gas bubbles. If they had contacted me I could have told them my secret...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Venen wrote:
I'm saying if things go right, there is more potential there for perpetual existence than any other species has seen.

No. There's not. It's all about adaptability. We are not the most adaptable living thing on this planet. Not even close.

You might try reading some Steven Pinker, he gets into this a bit. I think it was in 'Stuff of Thought' but he only lightly touches on it, still I think it's some good insight. Also anything by Dawkins on evolution is the shiznit. I like Ancestor's Tale best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 PM 

Fuck 1955. Someone get Doc Brown and stop those damned farmers.

Study: Global warming sparked by ancient farming methods
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/08 ... index.html

Quote:
(CNN) -- Ancient man may have started global warming through massive deforestation and burning that could have permanently altered the Earth's climate, according to a new study by researchers at the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I'm taking classes at UMBC; I'll walk over and slap them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:51 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Robots evolve and develop "deception":

http://www.botjunkie.com/2009/08/19/swa ... deception/
Quote:
In a mere 50 virtual generations, swarm bots (remember them?) using genetic software evolved the capacity to lie to other robots about the location of a source of food. Initially, the robots were programmed as a group to search for an object that represented food, and they gradually learned to emit a blue light when they found the food to show other robots where it was. Researchers at EPFL in Switzerland evolved and mixed the programming of the most successful foragers until they had a bunch of robots who were very good at finding food, and then gave the virtual genes of each individual robot control over their blue light that signified food.

You might expect that the robots would learn not to signal when they found the food to reduce competition, which is passive deception, but they also evolved an actively deceptive behavior, where some robots would deliberately travel away from the food and signal their blue light, drawing other robots in the wrong direction. Crafty little buggers. Interestingly, this deceptive behavior didn’t make much of a difference to the overall fitness of the group strategy of following blue lights… Some robots always tell the truth with their blue lights, which means it’s always advantageous for a clueless robot to follow a blue light as opposed to just wandering randomly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:08 PM 

Most Earth-Like Extrasolar Planet Found Right Next Door
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/super-earth/

Cool!
Quote:
“If you want to describe in one sentence what this planet is, it’s a big, hot ocean,” said Harvard University astronomer David Charbonneau. “We can even study its atmosphere. This planet will occupy us for years. That’s part of what’s so exciting about it.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Sarissa wrote:
I'm taking classes at UMBC; I'll walk over and slap them.

Didn't know you were local. I use to go there long ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The science behind quantifying extrasolar planets is pretty neat. That's going to be a hot area for a while now that we have the tools to do it. It's a very approachable topic if you've watched Cosmos. There was a big article on it in Scientific American earlier this year.

And yup, I'm a crab-picking Marylander. I'm finishing up my degree in photonics there this semester in fact. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:30 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Probably the biggest bummer of my life is that when it comes to an end, I will have only seen about 1/100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 of the world.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:38 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Sarissa wrote:
The science behind quantifying extrasolar planets is pretty neat. That's going to be a hot area for a while now that we have the tools to do it. It's a very approachable topic if you've watched Cosmos. There was a big article on it in Scientific American earlier this year.

And yup, I'm a crab-picking Marylander. I'm finishing up my degree in photonics there this semester in fact. ;)

Mm yeah all the planet activity is pretty hot. Fun field to watch, especially with all the new telescopes being launched.

Grats on the degree - MS or PhD? Any postgrad plans?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Thank you. It's an M.S. and I'll be doing some postgrad research, however my job doesn't fund PhDs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Tarot wrote:
As far as machines go...why do people always jump to Skynet and the like, instead of Mycroft (Mike) in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Because almost nobody knows about it? Just a wild guess, there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:36 PM 

10 Sci-Fi Weapons That Actually Exist
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01 ... pons/all/1

My favorite is the tazer claymore. heh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:06 AM 
Is She Hot?