It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:18 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:31 PM 
Spider Slayer

Can't edit! It may or may not have been the same one, but I don't remember if it was the one where he said he couldn't stand up due to being tased and they did it to him again for disobeying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:32 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I think there are two incidents you guys are referring to. "Don't Taze me Bro" was from Kerry's speech in which the kid, once grabbed by officers(for whatever reason, Kerry wanted to answer the question anyway and while it was a bit of a trollish question, he was done asking it anyway mostly and looked like he was about to leave) he started struggling with them - which was stupid, but he wasn't a threat in the slightest and they had like 3-4 officers completely burying him into the ground WHILE he was tazered, lol.

Then there was the UCLA guy in the computer lab who I remember a little more vaguely. He wasn't authorized to be in there, officers came, he started a bit of a ruckus and whined about it and they pushed him into the ground. Frankly, he looked like he was about to leave anyway to me... but anyway, it sounded like he struggled against the officers a bit as well, which is also a big nono. But, again in this situation, I believe it was 2 well-built officers that also had him completely under control while they tazered him and then proceeded to drag him off.

We all get that it's stupid to disobey an officer, especially while he has the tazer or gun pointed at you. The point Fribur and others made, again, is that just because you have the power doesn't mean you should use it.

No one complains when an officer tazers or shoots a guy that pulls a gun on the officer. No one complains when an officer tazers a person who runs from him after stealing from a store. The outrage happens when an officer(or multiple officers) has complete control over a situation, and chooses to use excessive or unnecessary force.

And now you've got people cow-towing to popular opinion stating that their opinion would be magically different if the guy had disobeyed and run away. He already ran the red light and didn't stop after the red light, so many people already have an inconsistency going on in that the guy disobeyed the officer when signalled to pull over.

I doubt that opinions would be much different, the guy was simply trying to see his dying mother-in-law. I'm sure people would desperately be trying to reconcile their inconsistent positions, but in the end people would probably feel sorry for the guy even if he made a dumb(is it even dumb if you truly love a person so much that you know those last few seconds writing a ticket mean the difference between seeing them for the very last time in this world, and would risk taking a shot for it?) move and decided to dash for it.

The guy had run a red light. There was almost no reason for the officer to shoot, had he shot as he was trying to run away. Especially after the hospital staff came out and confirmed the story.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:37 PM 

Also, people generally act irrationally when they're emotionally charged over someone dying or about to die. I'm sure there'd be some douchebags that would go "LAWL THAT WUZ DUMB!" but there should be a rather large portion that would look at the whole situation with a bit more understanding of what a person was going through instead of judging one action on face value of the action itself.

Still, the amount of dog-brained idiots that would declare it dumb is nauseating in itself.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:24 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
People's opinions about a situation change as the details change. This is the way it is supposed to work, and yet it confuses you?

People make dumb decisions for a multitude of reasons. Everyone does it. That does not give you a free pass though. Do I sympathize with them? Sure I do. I don't like it when people lose someone they care about. But no one should be able to use personal tragedy as a 'get out of trouble' card until the case is in the hands of a jury.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
It seems to me that cops use the tasers far too often.

There is a trial underway here in Canada against the 4 RCMP officers who tasered a polish man over and over again when they really didn't need to. The biggest threat the guy posed was when he picked up and wielded a lethal desk stapler.

The hit the man 5 times with the taser and he died from this.

The cops lied when giving out statements, they lied to the paramedic who responded to the scene to try and save the man. They would of gotten away with this one with the exception of eye witness's and cell phone camera's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:34 AM 
Arts Guru
Arts Guru

EQ1: Sariy & Aeki
WoW: Aeki
Quote:
But no one should be able to use personal tragedy as a 'get out of trouble' card until the case is in the hands of a jury.

I don't think he was trying to get out of the ticket. That does not mean that people have not used the emergency excuse to get out of a ticket.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
No, he absolutely wasn't. What the guy who got pulled over in this situation did was perfectly acceptable. He broke the law, followed the cop's instructions when he got pulled over, and the cop reacted like a douche.

That quote was to address Venen's apparent idea that having pity for a person means that you give them a pass (at least, that is how I took it).

Damn Miramicha, that's screwed up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:50 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Tyral
The one I keep thinking of is when that idiot driver that got pulled over was arguing with the cop, refused to follow his instructions, and then swung at his backup when he reached into the vehicle to take her phone away. She absolutely deserved to be tased and her whimpering sounds at the end were fucking hilarious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Tyral the Kithless wrote:
The one I keep thinking of is when that idiot driver that got pulled over was arguing with the cop, refused to follow his instructions, and then swung at his backup when he reached into the vehicle to take her phone away. She absolutely deserved to be tased and her whimpering sounds at the end were fucking hilarious.

Link?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:30 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb1FWt81 ... re=related

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:31 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

That's the one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:32 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Where along the line did people fail to understand that tasers are used instead of beating the shit out of someone with a club or pepper spraying half a dozen people trying to hit one dude?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 PM 
I schooled the old school.

beating the shit out of these people wasn't necessary either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 PM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Gothor
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29894848/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:39 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Who are these people?

And further proof that Moats and his family are class act folks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:49 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Without reading all the details of the taser cases, I can't say for certain, but it sounds significantly different than this case.

If a kid is in a computer lab illegally, yes - he probably isn't a threat, but the cops are in a lose/lose situations. If they say "hey get out of here" and he doesn't, do they physically restrain him? If he fights back, what do you do.

I will agree tasering needs to revolve around some judgment and if someone is safely secured, there is no reason to tase someone. But, in a case when someone is resisting a cop, I would generally feel it is better for the cop to err on the side of caution.

In this case, the cop really had no good reason to create the drama he created. So, to compare this to a tasering where someone physically resisted the cops is a bit disingenuous in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:53 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Was watching the news on this tonight. Apparently this cop pulled over some other NFL players wife for a U turn and had her in the car handcuffed and took her to jail for 3 or 4 hours. Handcuffs and jail for a Uturn?

Ridiculous.

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 PM 

For the fourth time, the comparison wasn't between the situations, it was between the statements of people discussing the situation.

Quote:
And further proof that Moats and his family are class act folks.

I agree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Tarot wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb1FWt81lS4&feature=related

Thank you, that was epic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
For the fourth time, the comparison wasn't between the situations, it was between the statements of people discussing the situation.

Except it is all about the situations, because things were said because of the situations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:45 PM 

Quote:
People's opinions about a situation change as the details change. This is the way it is supposed to work, and yet it confuses you?

Only if, as I mentioned, there is an inconsistency after said change.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Fribur wrote:
beating the shit out of these people wasn't necessary either.

Physically forcing people to the ground who are combative or uncooperative, however, is necessary. And it's actually more dangerous for everyone involved than a taser.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:04 AM 

I'm all for tazing so long as they continue to post videos of cops getting tazed to learn what it feels like.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:58 AM 

Hmm.

For some reason, I find this a whole lot more offensive than what happened to the guy with his mother in law.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 998930.ece

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
Hmm.

For some reason, I find this a whole lot more offensive than what happened to the guy with his mother in law.

Yeah, stuff like that can be really disturbing.

One of the more disturbing stories my wife has is one where a friend of hers was being stabbed by her crazy Ex-husband, but the two cops on the scene refused to enter the house - despite her screams for help being quite audible - because they were "supposed to wait for backup".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 AM 

Quote:
One of the more disturbing stories my wife has is one where a friend of hers was being stabbed by her crazy Ex-husband, but the two cops on the scene refused to enter the house - despite her screams for help being quite audible - because they were "supposed to wait for backup".
That's just straight up cowardice. If you don't want to be in situations like that, don't put the uniform on. Did they suffer any consequences for that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:35 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

joxur wrote:
Hmm.

Eh, a scenario like that could've just as easily gone, 'Police let them enter the house or attempt rescue and the assisting neighbors died as a result'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 AM 

Yeah. There's no question the police did the right thing from a "don't get sued" standpoint. Unfortunately they let a family die. /shrug

I'm heartened to see that we've finally put a checklist on heroism.

[ x ] - Willing people to take a risk to save others?
[ ] - All the right equipment and circumstances to ensure that there's absolutely NO WAY the rescuers can possibly be in danger?

Welp, looks like you're fucked, pregnant-lady-with-family. Just think of all the rescuers that could have avoided injury if they had just waited until the most qualified people with the best equipment had come along.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:21 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
The damning thing about the article is the part where they chased people with aluminum ladders away. These are cops who use their shields as something else, to cover up cowardice because of politics.

Granted the ladders would have probably just melted because it sounds like the fire was bad when even the cops got there, but it's still more than nothing. Preventing entry into the home was correct I think. If people can't get out, an untrained neighbor, even hyped up on adrenaline and fear would most likely not be able to get in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
That's just straight up cowardice. If you don't want to be in situations like that, don't put the uniform on. Did they suffer any consequences for that?

Honestly, I don't know. =O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:21 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

joxur wrote:
I'm all for tazing so long as they continue to post videos of cops getting tazed to learn what it feels like.

It's pretty standard at this point, they pretty much use all non-lethal weapons on officers so they know exactly what they're dealing with. It's also essential so that if their non-lethal weapons are turned on them, they know what to expect (and potentially how to mitigate it).

When my spouse went through the academy they did full facial pepper sprays on everyone. There's also hand to hand combat, and they beat you with a stick and shit.

Our neighbor was recently tazed (again) as part of his ongoing training (he's a motor cop). He shared the video with us. He had a bet on it, if he could take the taze without saying anything, one of the other officers would buy him dinner wherever he wanted.

Dan is a tough bastard, he fucking did it. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
hahah. that reminds me of when I went to a gun show with a cop friend of mine. he said he'd had enough pepper spray/mace to the face that it didn't faze him anymore.

we went to the "non-lethal/less lethal" weapons section, and I dared him to spray himself in the face. Without looking he grabbed a canister and sprayed himself full on in the face.

5 seconds later, without flinching, he said "take me to the hospital, that had ground glass in it" -- his eyes were completely red.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31 PM 

Reminds me of

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

Ground glass? Holy shit.

I knew a guy in the Army who handled all of our unit's CS (essentially riot gas) training. He'd been doing it for years, and ran at least one chamber exercise a month during that period. Dude could knock out 50 push-ups in the chamber and not even cough. Prolonged exposure to it just made his eyes a little red. Crazy what the human body can adapt to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I guess I can see how one could get used to CS, but how do you stop your body from producing the gallons of snot? I didn't even want to put my mask back on when they let us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 PM 

This was back in like 1999, when this shit was illegal in 37 states, I think it's been completely banned now.

As for the snotting thing, once your body no longer sees it as an irritant, you stop having reactions to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 AM 

Quote:
5 seconds later, without flinching, he said "take me to the hospital, that had ground glass in it" -- his eyes were completely red.

Hot damn. How did it end up? I'm curious how he was treated, I'm guessing more than just water heh? That's fucking nasty.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 AM 

lots of painkillers, and lots of irrigation. the ground glass eventually worked it's way out. the eyes apparently can heal pretty fast when they need to. He was in the hospital for like 4 days for observation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:13 AM 

Yea, figure if the glass is ground up enough at least it can make it through your system without too much harm. Glad he's ok.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 AM 

Yeah, it's still a source of laughs whenever we hang out =P He thinks it's the funniest out of all of us that were there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:53 AM 

How did he know there was ground glass in it after the fact? I mean.. he took the bottle and sprayed himself.. presumably NOT knowing there was ground glass before the spray. Then, afterwards, how did he determine what was in there? I can't imagine he could see very well to read the fine print.

If he knew there was ground glass before he did it.. wtf!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:03 AM 

He didn't know there was ground glass until his eyes starting to feel like a pincushion and he started bleeding.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:15 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Saw this just a second ago on yahoo! If this is old news, im sorry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:20 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
The man resigned. I wonder if he resigned on his own doing, or was told "If you don't resign then you will be fired" type of deal. Either way, he might have a difficult time getting a job in the future with all this controversy and drama surrounding him now...

Plus whether he is there or not, it is not bringing back the mother in law. Hopefully the football player and his family is coping with the loss and moving on with life...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:22 PM 

eh...he was probably asked to turn in his badge and gun and resign so he could save face on the incident.

on the other hand, he might have been able to get some form of severance if he'd let himself be fired.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Well you know what they say, if you're going to be dumb, you've gotta be tough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Resigning would allow him to take another law enforcement job somewhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah, you know that cop is just like, "Man fuck that nigger. I'm gunna go to Florida."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:55 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
OH well... happy ending

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:43 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Sarissa wrote:
Resigning would allow him to take another law enforcement job somewhere.

Would be very very difficult, given that he resigned before an investigation completed it's outcome. I mean, he was fucked anyway, and resigning in lieu of, etc. may help with OTHER jobs, but other than a podunk city force somewhere that doesn't do decent backgrounds, I don't see him on any police force anywhere. He'd fail their background.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Was that really necessary, Sky?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:37 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah. You think that cop gives a fuck about him? I don't. He's just doing what is politically safe for him so that he can find another job somewhere else. The dude is a lamer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:25 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
xskycrasherx wrote:
Nah, I just used it as an excuse to say nigger because it would get a rise out of people. And it was edgy. Wasn't it so edgy? HA. Isn't it about time for me to create another alter ego here and ask for the older one to be banned?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Saying nigger is edgy? What are we in the 1940s?

Who did it get a rise out of, by the way?

3333sssss ahahahaha

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:34 PM 

Quote:
Would be very very difficult, given that he resigned before an investigation completed it's outcome. I mean, he was fucked anyway, and resigning in lieu of, etc. may help with OTHER jobs, but other than a podunk city force somewhere that doesn't do decent backgrounds, I don't see him on any police force anywhere. He'd fail their background.
He could be an Atlanta police officer. Like half our cops have criminal records.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

joxur wrote:
Quote:
He could be an Atlanta police officer. Like half our cops have criminal records.

Holy shit, really?! I know with our Highway Patrol, even a minor infraction can fuck you over. But it's also a pretty exclusive program that has no shortage of applicants.

LAPD recruits a shitload but they're also pretty picky.

Local cities out here are even more picky...depending on the city of course. I know a friend of ours who was hired with Anaheim a few years ago only got in because he had tons of recommendations from people in law enforcement he was friends with, he had top scores on everything...and then the REAL reason he was wanted by multiple departments...he's fluent in Chinese and German. Chinese being the BFD. Most departments want bilingual at a min. today if they can afford to be picky. And most can, at least out here. The biggest problems all departments face are budget woes (though not everyone is hurting).

There are departments that WILL take you with a criminal history, it just depends on what the crime was, and the circumstances. And I know LAPD is especially partial to former military personnel (as are most police departments). LAPD was actively recruiting (and probably still are) from military who were done their service, or were retiring young.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:37 PM 

One in three recent Atlanta Police Academy graduates have criminal records
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... ademy.html

I work at probably the most visible building/area in Atlanta, and the security is taken pretty seriously. Anyway, the head of security for the premises had a military anti terrorism background, and during orientation while he was giving his speech, he was talking about how much better our security officers are than the ATL police department, and that if you had a problem, you'd probably be better off talking to one of the SO's than the ATL police, even though there's a precinct in our building. Better shooters, no criminal background, etc.

As an aside, I rode down the elevator with him and got a totally reassuring speech that since terorrists have hit NYC and other big cities, ATL's position as a huge population center, in the southeast, and the highly visible nature of where we work, that it was probably just a matter of time until Atlanta got hit. Shouldn't have told the wife that. Then again, I guess he's paid to be paranoid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The way it seems, Baltimore city requires a criminal record. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 PM 

I worry more about crazy motherfuckers without a criminal background that I do those with one. At least some of the people that keep that shit bottled up inside occasionally end up exploding in a fit of rage. It's scarier when you don't know where they stand.

Depends on the offense, of course. Some guy who got stopped on multiple traffic violation doesn't exactly leave me concerned of his moral values when he joins the force.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 AM 
Bored Guru
Bored Guru

EQ1: Worthy
WoW: Worthy
Another Bad Cop Story(LINK)

The http://www.FARK.com headline for this story:
Quote:
Philly cops enter store and arrest owner for selling small plastic Ziplock bags. Unfortunately for them, the owner backed up his security cameras on a hard drive and caught them cutting the cables with a knife. Now $10k is missing from store.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next