It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

So a bit of a background on this. I work for AT&T Mobility, which is the wireless portion of the company. We belong to the Communication Workers of America. Our Union contract expires on Feb 7th, 2009, and renegotiation's started on Jan 22nd. From the outset, AT&T has been bullying the Union reps and intimidating trying to take away provisions we have when they strike a new deal. Everything I'm going to post is available to the public so I'm not violating anything.

Here's the big two so far.
-The company in its proposals on Article 21-Absences, Article 22-Vacations and Article 24-Excused Days with Pay (EWP) wants to implement changes that would lengthen the waiting period for sick pay, cap the number of sick days one is paid for per calendar year and eliminate the payout for entitled vacation time and EWP's in the event the employee leaves the payroll under any and all circumstances except DEATH.

-The company wants to remove district 7 (AK, AZ, CO, ID, IA, MN, MT, NE, NM, ND, OR, SD, UT, WA, WY) and 9 (CA, HI, NV) from the Union.

There's a few others, such as removal of certain holidays, cutting our part time employee's, etc.

Quote:
AT&T is a Fortune 10 corporation with the economic means to provide a decent contract to our Members. AT&T is a $150 billion corporation with $123 billion in sales. They have enjoyed a plus 88 percent sales growth in the last year. This is a direct result of CWA Members' dedication and hard work. Most recent studies have predicted that Smart Phones are recession-proof. As customers upgrade to these devices, it will only increase revenue for AT&T. According to a ComScore study, nearly 30 percent of cell phone owners report paying more than $100 per month.

What are people thinking? I got a strike ballot in the mail the other day, and ballot will be counted on the 4th. As of today, this is what happened with bargaining.

Quote:
Bargaining resumed today and ended rather quickly. Obviously the Company missed the Bargaining Teams message from yesterday.

Once again the Company's distasteful approach at weakening this Union and their total disregard for what this Union stands for has halted negotiations.

The Union's Bargaining Team is anxious to negotiate.

Bargaining will resume once the Company retracts all inappropriate activities that have occurred to date, reigns in their rouge Managers who continue to intimidate and harass our members and proves they are ready to bargain seriously.

So I've been on medical leave for 3 months and I am due to return to work on Tuesday the 3rd. Our local union reps are saying a strike is imminent. I am going to end up at work for 4 days then strike because Landline wants obscene amounts of new provisions? People are not really being smart in this economy.

Anyone wanna help me polish my resume?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:20 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Quit the Union?

Just because the dumb ass union strikes does not mean you have to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

I have to be a part of the Union to work for AT&T Mobility...atm that is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:24 PM 

Wow, who in your government did your union blow to get that rule? That seems pretty fucked up. Thank goodness that I have always lived in right to work states (I will never join a union)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

I dont know, I came to the company after the Union was already here, but yeah...I personally don't believe that technology workers need a union but...yeah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:28 PM 

I would check with HR to see if you really need to be a member of the union to work there. You should be able to negotiate your own contract.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Oh no, very first day of training, it is required to be a non salary employee.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 PM 

damn, I am sorry to hear that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:40 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Yeah, I'm none to happy about it. Basically what it's boiled down to is that Landline, which is old legacy AT&T, the company that SBC Global bought and changed to the AT&T brand, is pushing for this.

They make no money, Mobility makes 85% of the companies profit. Since we made record earnings last year, they are going to try to bigball and get more money.

Ah well, I'll roll with the punchs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:04 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I am curious... the contract is up Feb 7, 2009. How long has that contract been valid for the union/job? And why on earth is renegotation happening so late in the contract life? I would think that negotiation should have been happening a long time ago...

Being originally from Michigan (which is a huge union state), I have had many family members belong to unions in various industries. Sometimes they provide a benefit (especially a long long time ago); but nowadays with all the laws that has been passed for health, right-to-work, discrimination, etc etc... unions have definitely lost their mojo so to speak. Today unions are just simply not needed for most of the work force, and I hope that AT&T can somehow just get rid of the union and facilitate communication and compensation to their employees directly without union involvement.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

2005, and yeah, don't ask me why it is happening at the last minute, I'm not sure whose bright idea that was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Yeah AT&T is going to let them on strike, and youll lose your job from it. and so will many other people if they vote yes on going on strike... But maybe your union people will be smart and vote no on strike and get a paycheck.

I hate unions and I wish they would just go away.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Just cross the picket line =P

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Just for krby's sake, I'd like to point out that I love my union, and place a great deal of value in it :).

Have a nice day!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
I've met a lot of good folks from CWA (at the local level) over the last few years. I've been out on the streets with them. They're not all "technology workers," though I haven't seen any evidence that tells me tech workers can't benefit from unionization.

As I understand it, this hasn't been left for the last minute. This has been going on for a while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

According to the letter we received with the strike ballot the negotiations started on Jan 22. I know that in Sept we had to re negotiate last minute a new health care plan but, who knows.

As of this morning, we're being told get ready it's going to happen, 29/m/LFW will relocate!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Keep telling you to move to New Mexico sir. I bet we could find a job for you here!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Traxor
WoW: Zairux
EQ2: Traxor
SWOR: Darman
Eve Online Handle: Traxil
Healthcare Unions ftw...I cherish mine.

Best of luck though Sola.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:11 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

I work in Texas which is a right to work state. I'm wondering if those who are in unions would explain to me the benifits they are getting from being in a union since I don't know anyone in one here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:23 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

During my brief stint in Cali, I got a pretty bad impression of unions. I worked for a county govt out there and saw a few people who didn't do shit, but couldn't be fired because they were union. One egregious example was a lady who worked on average 2-3 days a week of her allotted 5 day 40 hour week. The office was always scrambling to cover her.

The other problem was high turnover because the boss would fire people before the year deadline so they wouldn't become union untouchable.

Overall I'm for unions, but I definitely saw some real problems.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Junzo wrote:
I work in Texas which is a right to work state. I'm wondering if those who are in unions would explain to me the benifits they are getting from being in a union since I don't know anyone in one here.

Normally you get better wages, job protection, better healthcare. WA is at At will employment state, I believe most are now a days, but our Union contract does trump that.

In our case, we don't need a union, when 85% of our workforce is 6 months out of highschool with a GED / HS Diploma. Our wages are trash compared to similar job functions at T Mobile and Verizon. My job specifically makes 27 - 30 an hour at Verizon.....I don't make that. I do have kick ass healthcare but, the wages where I live are the same wages they pay people that work and live in Joplin Missouri, where we just opened a new call center. That's what they are trying to change, I've heard as high as 55% wage increase and as low as 35%

The problem is that with the type of workforce we haev, they won't picket, they will walk and find other jobs. The only people that are going to picket are the people with families, retired etc.

I'll be on the line, because I have to be to get paid, but I really don't like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:57 PM 

AFAIK, you don't get paid if you are on strike.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:58 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

we have a strike fund, we have to picket 5 hours a day for 200 bucks a week, 300 if it goes longer then 6 weeks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:28 AM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

Quote:
Normally you get better wages, job protection, better healthcare. WA is at At will employment state, I believe most are now a days, but our Union contract does trump that.

Ok. Does the business get any benifit from a union?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:11 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

In this case no, because it's literally impossible for the company to terminate people it needs to get rid of, sometimes taking up to 8 months to get rid of under performing individuals. Basically the company hand holds everyone for a 6 month period and then they will throw you under the bus and dump you if you can't hang.

It's so much wasted time and effort on the companies part thanks to the union, so I can understand why they would want them gone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 PM 

Quote:
Ok. Does the business get any benifit from a union?

That depends on what you define as "the business." I tend to think of the workers in a business as a big part of "the business." Therefore, when the general workplace conditions of a business improves, the business itself improves (assuming some appropriate level of profitability is maintained).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:03 PM 

If you can manage to keep corruption out of the upper echelons of a union (which has, to this point, not been at all possible. the upper levels of all unions are contemptible at best) then yes, a company benefits from happier, more productive workers.

I still do not believe that IT employees need to unionize. I for one would not join one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Vanamar wrote:
I still do not believe that IT employees need to unionize. I for one would not join one.

As I said earlier Chris, I had no choice, and I completely agree with you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 PM 

I know, it was more in response to Leo/Frib :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:08 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

As a young Republican, I thought unions were bad.
As an aging hippie, I'm not so sure.

The problem with unions is the same problem with general corporate management: the managers generally aren't that good and accountability is not respected. Even in a non-union shop, it is dang hard to "safely" fire someone. The reason is because in order to fire someone you need to set measurable expectations and account for meaningful lapses in judgment or performance - and most managers SUCK at doing this (union or not).

As I repeat time and again about various issues, these turn into black and white shouting matches, but I feel it is more complicated than that.

I have a fundamental belief that labor should be somewhat organized and protected. I also have a fundamental belief that companies should be mostly autonomous from government. Those are challenging issues to reconcile.

The core problem is that people at the top are frequently protected from risk and allowed to collect a disproportionate amount of wealth while the people on the bottom are frequently treated as disposable.

I know it is tempting to say "well that's capitalism". Maybe. But there is more to freedom than simply being able to do whatever you want to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:51 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Junzo: What Fribur said is true. In addition, if you're defining "the business" as the ability to make money or provide a service, unions often provide or demand ongoing training for their employees, though that obviously depends on the job requirements. It doesn't really need to be explained that a better trained workforce typically produces better results.

In other instances, unions limit working hours or conditions. Nurses are a good example. If a hospital tries to use too few nurses or assign too many hours, the risk to patients increases. In this case, the union helps lower the hospital's risk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Fuck unions. I can do it for myself or get another employer. It's a pretty simple equation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Elessar wrote:
Fuck unions. I can do it for myself or get another employer. It's a pretty simple equation.
I would venture to say it is a bit more complicated than that. If you subscribe to the belief that companies have absolutely 0 responsbility to serve society, then I guess so.

As much as people want to preach free-trade, capitalism, etc, in most situations companies have a disproportionate amount of power in a relationship.

For example, take a truck driver. If he quits today, the company is inconvenienced. If he is fired, his entire world is tossed up in the air. Don't get me wrong, I think people fail to own their lives the way they should, but I also think there needs to be some fundamental protections. I'm not saying unions are the right way, but maybe they are a step in the right direction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

I don't think unions should have the right to strike unless an employer turns down a binding arbitration offer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
For example, take a truck driver. If he quits today, the company is inconvenienced. If he is fired, his entire world is tossed up in the air. Don't get me wrong, I think people fail to own their lives the way they should, but I also think there needs to be some fundamental protections. I'm not saying unions are the right way, but maybe they are a step in the right direction.

Fair enough. But a union for the sake of a union (with the inherent corruption and useless jobs included) are a problem for me. Your statement I have no real disagreement with however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

By an overwhelming 85 per cent in favor, AT&T mobility members voted to authorize a strike. This allows the CWA Executive Board and the President to call a strike if it is deemed necessary.

So this is where it stands as of right now. We will know either tonight or before 9pm tomorrow night if we're going to.

I finally got a bit of information on what's causing the wage problem. Our healthcare benefits were increased when they renegotiated in Sept of 2008.

Current employee's will keep their same premium at 15.00 a month, starting in 2010 it goes up to $34.00, 2011 $56.00 and 2012 $75.00.

AT&T offered the union a 9% wage increase and the CWA has turned down that offer.

The contract runs out in 34 hours, and it's not looking good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

With a recession as everyone proclaims were in your union is bitching about a 9% wage incease? I only get 3 to 5% a year salaried wage increase...

Fuck that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:42 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Yeah, we told em to take it, they said no. And after you break it down, it would be a 9% increase upon returning to work, then we would get our normal raises every 6 months from our hire date and a cost of living raise every Feb.

My area got overruled on the strike vote, as it's a majority thing, so, yeah.

I've had a few interviews the last few days so I'm hoping for the best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

EQ1: Wakkagud Ondahed
WoW: Slaaneshi
Eve Online Handle: Ackbarre
When it comes to wages and benefits Unions typically want to try and dig more gold out of the goose who laid the golden egg. My dad used to work for John Deere in the UAW. Back in the 80's UAW went on strike for 6 months for more pay and better health benefits. And at the time Deere was wanting to cut pay and benefits due to slow sales of tractors. Caused by the grain embargo of 1979. With no sales John Deere had a tremendous amount of tractors on hand with no possible buyers. Well John Deere let them strike for about 6 months while it managed to sell off inventory. Then agreed to the unions demands and the strike ended. Within a week Deere laid off half it's work force in Waterloo which came out to be around 10,000 workers hourly and salary. Since that layoff it wasn't until mid 90's did Deere ever hire anyone new again and that was only to cover retiring workers.
I've been in unions and yeah they can have a positive impact on a work environment but usually they don't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
it would be a 9% increase upon returning to work, then we would get our normal raises every 6 months from our hire date and a cost of living raise every Feb.

Wow, the 9% is instant and on top of normal raises? Holy crap, what more do they expect? =O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:21 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
a 9% raise on top of normal raises? goddamn

they need to fire the union reps for being greedy and unreasonable

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58 AM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

I have a feeling this is happening because of two things.

1. The Union agreed to raise our premium's on health care 30% over the next 3 years, as I stated above.

2. The entry level job function for Mobility starts at $11.21 - $13.74 an hour. 9% isn't really all that much when that's the type of wage we're talking. This is also the starting wage that the new call center in Joplin starts at, in a completely different cost of living area then Seattle. Since they increased our premium on health care to match verizon and t mobile, they want to increase our pay to match around what they make, which is 4 to 6 dollars more then we do now.

Otherwise, there's no reason to stay at AT&T.

That's why they are doing it. I don't necessarily agree with it, we're lucky to have jobs afaiac.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

On that topic, I'm surprised more businesses aren't just balking at absurdly-high-cost-of-living areas and the higher wages that workers living in them expect.

In today's technological arena, where you can be anyplace at any time pretty much, I'd just put all my offices in really, really low cost-of-living places so I could pay half what people expect in "Boxes in the back alley cost $1000/month." areas.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:21 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
For real. I mean, Cincinnati is like the rural Mexico of America compared to San Diego. People back here stay in jobs for a lifetime too... Crappy ones at that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Just seems so weird to me when I see people living in areas where what looks like a ratty old shack on a tiny lot goes for $750,000 and they work sweeping floors and strike because they're only making $30/hour. =O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:45 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Cinci is a great place to live, and bear in mind we have a lot of big companies here: Great American, Kroger, Procter & Gamble to name a few.

People do stay in jobs here for a long time, but the main reason is that it's hard to beat this place. If you can get a decent income here and are smart with your money, you're set.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:29 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

New Mexico is becoming more like that for business's our cost of living here is so much lower then everywhere else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:35 PM 

DFW has been like that for a long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:34 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

The current contract was to expired 34 minutes ago, so far there has been another wage increase proposal but we have not heard what the union decided on it.

The current contract is being extended 24 hours at the moment so now we're on a day to day basis it seems.

I want this shit to be over.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:04 AM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

Stupid Union!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Quote:
So here is what the CWA posted, I'm not sure if this is PST or EST.

February 8, 2009 (3:30PM)

With the clock stopped at 11:59pm Saturday, February 7, 2009, Bargaining resumed today with the Union requesting the Company to extend the provisions under the 2005 Labor Agreement by thirty (30) days to allow for additional time to come to a fair and equitable contract settlement.

The Union re-emphasized the fact that the Company underestimated the necessary time required to bargain making it nearly impossible to address the issues that you, our members asked us to care for. Blatant interference on the Company's part and the numerous reports of intimidation and harassment taking place in the work locations has directly attributed to the lack of progress which has been made to date thus accounting for the number of unresolved issues that still remain on the bargaining table.

The Union's Bargaining Team is ready and willing to negotiate as long as the Company is willing to do the same.

The Union Bargaining Team asks for you continued support as we work towards a settlement agreement.

The Union is available and willing to bargain for as long as it takes to get our members what they deserve.

Provisions of the current contract remain in effect.

Updates will be provided as events develop.

Until you are told differently, it's business as usual.

Stay Informed. Be Prepared. Expect the best.

This was posted 2:30 EST by AT&T.

Quote:
BARGAINING UPDATE

CWA Walks Away from Mobility Orange Bargaining

Feb. 8, 2008 -- Bargainers for the Communications Workers of America left the Mobility Orange bargaining table about 2:30 p.m. ET today, despite having requested and agreed to an extension of negotiations through 11:59 p.m. tonight, Sunday, Feb. 8, 2008.

The AT&T bargaining team remains available for discussions through the agreed-upon extension.

AT&T agreed to the extension based on assurances from the union that the parties were "close" to agreement.

The company's last, best and final offer, proposed after two weeks of negotiations and give and take at the bargaining table appears below.

AT&T is proud of this fair and reasonable offer during these difficult economic times when companies are cutting off 401(k) s, freezing salaries, and sometimes failing entirely, throwing employees out of work. Layoffs have surged – more than 600,000 last month alone -- and unemployment levels are soaring.  Many workers are voluntarily making sacrifices to help keep troubled companies afloat.

AT&T regrets that the union has chosen to walk away from the table.

AT&T Mobility and Communications Workers of America - 2009 Orange Labor Negotiations
Highlights of the Company’s Last, Best and Final Offer
This Highlights Package sets forth the primary terms of the Company’s Last, Best and Final Offer dated February 7, 2009, is for illustrative purposes only, is not an Offer, and does not replace, modify, or constitute a formal proposal.

Wages
Year 1 $850 Lump Sum Payment upon ratification by 2/27/09.
Year 2 Increases to bottom and top of wage tables of 2.25%.
Year 3 Increases to bottom and top of wage tables of 2.0%.
Year 4 Increases to bottom and top of wage tables of 2.0%.

Examples of the cumulative effect of these increases when combined with wage progressions are shown below:
The average Customer Service Representative I currently earning $24,440 per a year, and currently on step 8 of the wage progression table, will be earning $34,346 per year at the end of the contract. This represents a total increase of approximately 40.5% over the life of the contract.
The average Retail Sales Consultant currently earning $26,364 (excluding commissions) per year, on Step 12, will be earning $31,902 (excluding commissions) at the end of the contract. This represents a total increase of approximately 21.0% over the life of the contract.

Pension/401k Plans

Current employees will maintain a 5% cash balance pension plan and continue eligibility under the existing 401k plan which includes an 80% match up to 6% of basic deferrals.
New hires after 1/1/10 will be eligible for a 100% match in the 401k up to 6% of basic deferrals.

New Titles
A new title, Client Service Specialist, will be created for use in call centers. Employees currently in the Office of the President role will be moved into the new title. The title will have a new table with a top wage rate equivalent to the current Customer Service Representative II and a new, improved start rate. This breakthrough creates additional career opportunities in call centers. Employees currently in the CSR I title moving to the new title will have the opportunity to move from a wage table with a current top of $621 per week to a new wage table with a top of $726 per week or approximately $5500 per year.
A new title, Workforce Administrator, will be created for use in consumer call centers. Current employees in the workforce operations group holding the title of Clerk, CSR I or Administrative Assistant will be placed in the new title. The title will use the same wage table as the current Administrative Assistant. This will also create additional career opportunities in call centers. Employees currently in the CSR I title moving to the new title will have the opportunity to move from a wage table with a current top of $621 per week to a new wage table with a top of $726 per week or approximately $5500 per year. Employees currently in the Clerk title moving to the new title will have the opportunity to move from a wage table with a current top of $602 per week to a new wage table with a top of $726 per week or $6450 per year.
A new title, Wireless Technician, will be created. Current Wireless Technician I and Wireless Technician II titles will be merged into the new title. The current Wireless Technician II wage table will be used for this new title. Employees currently in the Wireless Technician I title moving to the new title will have the opportunity to move from a wage table with a current top of approximately $1117 per week to a new wage table with a top of approximately $1304 per week or approximately $9700 per year.
Additionally, the Company committed to evaluate Customer Service Representative functions to determine if additional titles should be created in call centers.

JOB SECURITY

Surplus notifications for large groups will now be made 60 days in advance of a surplus, rather than 30 days.
Surplus employees will be given priority consideration for one year from the date of their surplus over external and internal candidates for vacancies they are qualified to fill.
A Joint Committee will be established when 40% of full time Retail Sales employees in a market fail to meet minimum sales performance requirements for the purpose of discussing possible causes and potential solutions.
Strengthened non-discrimination language in Article 15.
Net Credited Service (NCS) seniority tie breaker language added to determine who is most senior when two or more employees share the same NCS date.
The Union and the Company have agreed to jointly investigate the possibility of including AT&T Mobility employees in the Alliance.

Union-Management Relationship

Three Strategic Alliance Committees will be created to foster cooperation between the CWA and the Company. Committees will address issues of interest to both parties on a scheduled basis. One committee will be created for each of the following current CWA districts:
Districts 1/2/13
District 4
Districts 7 & 9
Renewed commitment regarding the collection of COPE deductions for the Union by the Company.

Scheduling-Retail

A new Retail scheduling tool will be piloted in ten locations during 1Q09 in an effort to provide realistic and usable schedules for employees

Safety

National Occupational Health and Safety Committee input may be used to develop employee training.

According to our updates we're to work as normal, so I'm not sure which came first.

Offline Profile