It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gamefly
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I’ve been a subscriber to Gamefly in the past. Most console games are so damned easy that it takes a few days to beat them (not interested in multiplayer) that it makes sense to use a service like Gamefly. In the past, I’ve cancelled my membership because living in Atlanta, with the closest distribution center in Pittsburg, it would take a solid 5 business days to get a game, and 5 to return. Very inefficient.

So I heard a few months back that they had added a Tampa distribution center. Cool, I figured I’d give it a shot as there were some games I hadn’t played (MGS IV, Left 4 Dead,Gears of War 2, etc.). Nevermind the fact that Atlanta is about as central as you can get for the entire southeast, and why they don’t have one here is completely fucking beyond me.

It’s worse than ever. In aggravating ways.

First, they STILL ship from Pittsburg half the time. Most of the times the game I want is not available in Tampa. Problem #1.

Next, if I get a notice that they received a game on Tuesday, it takes WAY too long for them to ship the next game, normally as late as Friday or even Saturday. They’ve got my last game, they have a queue of 7-8 games, and they can’t find a single fucking game to ship out to me. They’re a mix of 1 high, 3 medium and 4 low availability games.

So, I’m in a situation where I shipped a game back to them on Monday of last week. They receive it on Thursday, the 22nd, and here it is Tuesday and I still haven’t gotten a shipping notice of the next game. Minimally, if I’m lucky, I will get that game on Saturday if it ships today or tomorrow. More likely Monday.

Maybe it’s the holidays, maybe they are running short on games. But the service is not worth it, even stacking games so that I have one out and one in, it sucks. Stay away from Gamefly. I can understand the shipping times. They don’t have the volume of Netflix, I get it. But for them to sit on a game for days at a time is complete crap.

I wish Netflix would start carrying games. It’s cheaper to go to Bluckbuster and rent games than to deal with Gamefly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gamefly
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I don't know the answer... how large is a game on a disc compared to a movie? I know that with my 360 I can download/stream Netflix movies to my console. I would imagine that if Netflix works out well with XBOX that the next step would be to rent games through that process.

However, I am not sure if Microsoft would be all that great knowing that they are losing 60 dollar game sales to a 5 dollar rental...

BTW it amazes me how often people misspell the word Pittsburgh. Of all the cities in the US I can think of, that is probably the most misspelled city.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:03 PM 

Sorry.. last company i worked for owned a property in pittsburg, KS. Habit..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

I signed up for gamefly a while back when I first got a Wii. It was nice for maybe two weeks while I tried a few games a week then I bought one game from them and canceled my membership. About three months later I got a letter from the district US attorney detailing my rights as a potential witness against some lady in California who got caught with a shit load of gamefly and netflix mailings. I think entertainment from that alone was worth the cost for how long I had it.

Offline Profile