It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:39 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

3 years or so ago? Remember when they turned you down, and you thought "what the fuck, the bank down the street will do it, but my own bank won't, and I've been here for years...."

Well, this is why....

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... /901080309

Fucking idiots. I wish they could take their personal assets. Good `Ole boy shit like the lending Peoples Bank was doing is small version of what larger lenders were doing on a much much wider scale, and is why we are where we are.

On a side note, I was told what my raise, and my employees raises were going to be. How the hell are you going to give annual increases that are less than inflation..... Keep your fucking money. It's more of a slap in the face to take it anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
CaltenThule wrote:
On a side note, I was told what my raise, and my employees raises were going to be. How the hell are you going to give annual increases that are less than inflation..... Keep your fucking money. It's more of a slap in the face to take it anyway.

Given how many people I know who are getting laid off, getting unpaid days off, and getting salary cuts...seriously shut the fuck up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 PM 
Do you smell that?

Seriously.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
for serious

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:52 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
They told us no raises, and then turned around and raised our insurance rates by quite a bit. I'm happy to have a job but this shit is starting to hurt hehe..

Zinky, Lvl 60 Warlock
Thunderhorn, WoW

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:30 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Tarot wrote:
Given how many people I know who are getting laid off, getting unpaid days off, and getting salary cuts...seriously shut the fuck up.

Maybe they should be in another industry? Don't be all sanctimonious because he's got what he feels is a legit gripe for his position. The economy sucks, we get it. Some of us got it sooner than others and planned accordingly, where possible. At what point will it be ok again to bitch about his raise?

God, I'm sick of this. Shit or get off the pot with this economy griping already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:37 AM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

I have to say for myself that I am definitely thankful. I'm working as a teacher in a rare school system that is in the black (still). The administration likes me, my union negotiated a solid above-inflation raise over the next two years, and there's just no feeling of economic danger for me at all.

I am genuinetly sympathetic for those in worse situations, but I am also genuinely thankful for my particular situation.

Of course, by saying something, Murphy's Law dictates that everything in my particular circumstance will come crashing down tomorrow, heh...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
At what point will it be ok again to bitch about his raise?

South Park says 22.3 years!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
Maybe they should be in another industry? Don't be all sanctimonious because he's got what he feels is a legit gripe for his position. The economy sucks, we get it. Some of us got it sooner than others and planned accordingly, where possible. At what point will it be ok again to bitch about his raise?

God, I'm sick of this. Shit or get off the pot with this economy griping already.
I agree completely. Especially if it hasn't happened to you.

I got laid off after 1 year at my last job - working for a newspaper company. Newspapers were already doing poorly and the economy was the final straw, so they decided to sell 14 of 17 papers and kill all corporate employees who weren't on critical systems.

But, luckily, I landed at a much bigger media company (broadcast and online, no print) and I am working in core infrastructure, didn't have to take a pay cut, and got 6 months severance from my last job. After 6 months of stress and worry, sometimes, things just work out. Counting my blessings. We're in a hiring freeze, haven't heard about wage freeze, and we'll see how this year goes. This year will be worse than last year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:49 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

Given how many people around the world are starving, dying, miserable, without enough to eat or drink or a roof over their head...seriously shut the fuck up.

(See, sounded silly, didn't it?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
http://www.fbijobs.gov/

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:31 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

I suppose anyone could have a "legitimate" gripe about lack of raise if they are working for a company that isn't affected by the current state of the economy. On the other hand, having a job and not getting a raise is far better than getting a 100% pay decrease.

I was with a company last year and knew that it was bringing in a huge profit despite the recession (I even received quarterly reports on the branch of the company I ran). When review time came around I was informed that none of the people under me were receiving raises even though we were all busting our asses to keep the branch going strong and that I was in effect getting a pay decrease. Not a salary decrease, but a lowering of the profit sharing of the branch that I received. I made sure to point that out during my review and have since moved on to another company. One of the best professional moves of my life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:51 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I think a lot of companies are using "the economy" to raise prices. It makes for a very convenient excuse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

A crappy raise does suck, I agree there.

On the other hand... he lives in Ohio, as do I.
Ohio unemployment recieves around 7500 calls per day over the past few weeks. Monday it had over 80,000 which blew up their system. Their webpage went down on monday, phones on tues.

This was all in the Plain Dealer wednesday in C section.

I work in a steel mill, we are within 30 people from being issued the warn act, and I am 15 from the chopping block. So again, crappy raises suck, but its a hell of a lot better than the unemployment line.

He can bitch about it, but he also needs to be grateful he got anything- the way this shit is going around us. Now if you got a crap ass raise last year... thats a different story!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Carolsue didnt you just get that job a year ago?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I had to leave Ohio last year, we've been going down the tubes for the last 4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Khan: I looked there, but sadly there's just one position in Miami and it's not for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I want to leave Ohio. I've hated being back here ever since I came back. Stupid family though - what are you gonna do?

This state sucks balls.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:25 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Yeah, and business was booming. Mandatory 48 hours/week every week until Oct, then BOOM! When they shut off both blast furnaces we all sorta shit our pants.

As for the Ohio- yeah, it does suck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I love Ohio. Only gripe is that we don't have any professional sports teams.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Except the Cavaliers who currently have the #1 record in the NBA. :P

Offline Profile