It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:12 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:32 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Get off the TV and let's get back to the normal, entertaining TV.

I wish you'd all lose somehow. College football sucks schlong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:42 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

God, who watches TV when you can download anything you want?

Get with the times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:53 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Zing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:41 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I never really understood the big appeal of college football anyway.

I once had someone tell me it had to do with the fact that it wasn't "corrupted" by money and commercialization, and I found that to be terribly naive.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:14 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah, totally agree. It's not more "pure" by any means.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:19 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Most players are not corrupted by money and commercialization. The universities, naturally, are a completely different story...

I prefer pro football over college, but that doesn't mean I don't like college. I still enjoy some games and some match ups during the year, and it is always interesting to see non-pro style offenses and defenses be successful. Besides, who doesn't like seeing underdogs like Utah and Boise State be successful in a land full of big name powerhouses like Alabama and Oklahoma?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:20 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Weren't the Utes undefeated during the regular season? How could they be the underdog?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:22 PM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Being undefeated doesn't really have the same meaning in college football as it does in a professional sport. In a professional league, the playing field is level.

If the Utes had played a major conference schedule they would hardly be undefeated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:33 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Why don't you watch hockey, then. The world juniors are on, those are national teams and aren't as commercialized as the NHL. Gold medal match is coming up soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

EQ1: Perpetuo / Bupas
WoW: Proven
People like college football partially because its such a big deal while you are in college. This leads to people following their team and making a big deal about it for years to come.

Tailgating is more fun in college too, since people actually party (this is not to say that people don't party at pro games but just not to the same degree).

At least college has a workable overtime rather than a coin flip.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Bupas wrote:
At least college has a workable overtime rather than a coin flip.

I hate the college Overtime rules (watching my favorite college team win two seven, one six, and several other two plus overtime games takes a lot from my "enjoyment" of it). Hmm, lets make the kicking game and field position not matter at all. I like the pro version much better. The only thing that would make the NFL overtime "more fair" would be to have it should the team winning the toss score on their first possession then the other team would have a possession to at least answer the score, after each team has one possession then the first team to score wins.

In the NFL the defenses are on the field to stop the opposing team. They have a standard kickoff, and must keep the other team from getting into scoring range. In college they start off in scoring range.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
They should just play a 10-12 minute overtime in its entirety. Treat it as the 5th quarter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Each team should have one opportunity to score on offense. I like the NFL way the best because (theoretically) your defense should be good enough to stop the opposition one time to allow your offense a chance to score.

Whomever wins coin toss gets ball. If they score, then they kick off to other team. If other team cannot score, then game is over. If other team ties, then they continue to play until next team scores (no more second chance opportunities). If original team kicks field goal and other team gets touchdown, then other team wins- makes original team have to decide to go for it on fourth down and try for a TD or kick field goal and hope defense makes a stand. And of course if both teams get one offensive series and cannot score, then you play till there is a winner.

And being a college graduate, I will always root and cheer for my alumni in every sport until the day I die. That is why so many adults still cheer for college sports...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:18 PM 

Quote:
Each team should have one opportunity to score on offense. I like the NFL way the best because (theoretically) your defense should be good enough to stop the opposition one time to allow your offense a chance to score.
It's a bad system. It effectively gives someone a turnover via a random number generator. If it's a high scoring game, it's almost guaranteed victory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Couplt points:

1. NFL over-time is bad.

2. College is slightly better.

3. Any non-bowl or non-playoff game tied at the end of regulation should simply be a tie. There is no point in sudden death.

4. In the event of sudden death, play it just like the NFL except each team is guaranteed a posession. That is, if the first team scores, they have to kick-off. If the other team scores more on the next posession, they win. If they tie, the game continues in true sudden death.

5. College football is broken and stupid, so I don't know why I bother even thinking about it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 AM 

College is still better than the NFL.

I liked the NFL when you had players stay with a team for their career, like Elway, Marino, etc.

I liked the NFL when it wasn't full of rich dickwads that make more headlines off the field than on the field.

The NFL is exactly where MLB was when it lost me. How can I root for a team or a player that will fire a coach in the most cutthroat fashion, or sign a player with a rap sheet or is just a shitty human being? Sure, college has some of that, but very very little compared to pro, and the vast majority of college football players have no shot of making it to the NFL and can still effect the game. How many of you actually LIKE a player in the NFL? Very little... honestly, none come to mind.

Following recruiting is more interesting than the draft and/or free agency, for me. A kid picking USC over Florida because he wants more play time is infinitely more appealing than some douchebag holding out at the start of the season because he wants 15 million instead of 10 million. Reading about high school students, watching their highlights on youtube, all of that is more interesting than reading about Plax shooting himself at a night club.

NFL players don't inspire me. There is no one in the NFL that I can watch and just be in total admiration for what they are doing. They're pro's. They are supposed to be good, and had better be, to justify everything they can get away with. There are college kids that I see every game I watch that give me a little something to be cheery about. Also, when they make mistakes, you know it's mostly because they are young kids who don't know better, rather than petulant millionaires who think they are above everyone else.

And if you need any more reasons, two words: Players Association.

Those are some of the reasons I like college football. I can't remember the last NFL game I watched.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Enjoy watching subpar athletes and subpar competition. I'll watch what really matters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
The NFL really matters? For what exactly?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 AM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
It's just Sky being a moron again. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:49 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Quote:
I enjoy watching subpar athletes and subpar competition. I watch what really matters, the NBA, and the Dallas Cowboys

Fixed your quote for you. No thanks necessary.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:18 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Lol, you're funny -- any NBA player is hands down a more superior athlete than any given NFL player, definitely more conditioned and more in shape too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:11 PM 
Less oats more posts!
Less oats more posts!

So you're saying that Yao Ming would be considered more of an athlete than, I don't know... Reggie Bush?

How about Eric Montross vs. Uhhhhh....Terell (sp?) Owens?...

Blanket statements discredit most of your argument.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:15 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yeah

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 PM 

I tend to think that it's the money and commercialization of the NFL that keeps it competitive. People often mistake competition with "what's exciting?". In college football, you see way more mistakes, and so it might be qualified as "more exciting" because there's sometimes more going on and it's harder to anticipate... but the level of competition and pure skill isn't quite there. One mistake in the NFL may end up costing millions of dollars. So it ends up being a competition of atrition and superior strategy, rather than random mistakes and random chaos.

And honestly, if you think cutthroat deals aren't taking place behind the scenes in college football as well or even "very little compared to the NFL", I have a few bridges to sell ya.

As for being inspired by random mistakes by "up and coming" athletes, you could always go watch a few little league games too if that floats your boat. People rise up to the challenge in the NFL, college football, and every other sport. One being more flashy because both sides have weak defense and offense doesn't really make it a bigger deal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 AM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Zatronn1 wrote:
Being undefeated doesn't really have the same meaning in college football as it does in a professional sport. In a professional league, the playing field is level.

If the Utes had played a major conference schedule they would hardly be undefeated.
You can't seriously think that if you saw the Dolphins/Ravens game...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Utes = National Champions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:46 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Draconi
WoW: Dalanthas
Rift: Dalanthas
EQ2: Daranthas
Utah 2008 schedule

8/30 @ Michigan 1-0 (0-0) W 25-23 - Big 10
9/06 UNLV 2-0 (1-0) W 42-21
9/13 @ Utah State 3-0 (1-0) W 58-10
9/20 @ Air Force 4-0 (2-0) W 30-23
9/27 Weber State 5-0 (2-0) W 37-21
10/02 Oregon State 6-0 (2-0) W 31-28 - beat USC
10/11 @ Wyoming 7-0 (3-0) W 40-7
10/18 Colorado State 8-0 (4-0) W 49-16
11/01 @ New Mexico 9-0 (5-0) W 13-10
11/06 No. 12 TCU 10-0 (6-0) W 13-10
11/15 @ San Diego State 11-0 (7-0) W 63-14
11/22 No. 14 Brigham Young 12-0 (8-0) W 48-24
1/02 vs. No. 4 Alabama 13-0 (8-0) W 31-17 - SEC

not saying one way or the other, but there areless pussy teams on this schedule than alot of the top 10 played

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

There is a lot more parity in the NFL than there is in college football. And going 16-0 in the NFL is a far better achievement than going 13-0 as a Mountain West team. Now if you go 13-0 as a BCS conference school that is another story.

Not to take anything away from what Utah did, they had an outstanding season as a mid-major. And while they do have some decent victories, they cannot remove the fact that they are a Mountain West team, playing the Mountain West for the majority of their games. And unfortunately in the system that we have (i.e. no playoffs) that means the best they are going to be is having a BCS game opportunity if they go undefeated/ranked in the top 8. Note BCS game opportunity, not BCS championship game opportunity.

Which is why, for my third or fourth time, March Madness > *.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 PM 
Bridge Dweller

The Utah AG is opening a case against the BCS claiming something about antitrust laws or something. Hopefully a team as great as the Utes can make it to the National Championship Game. They're the best team in college football.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 PM 
Do you smell that?

SOONERS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:22 PM 

Well I'm a Florida fan, so I'm a bit biased this year.

On the one hand:

Quote:
Utah is the same team that beat Michigan 25-23. Michigan went 3-9 this season.

Utah is the same team that beat Air Force 30-23. Air Force went 8-5.

Utah beat Weber State 37-21. Weber State isn't even in Division I.

Utah beat New Mexico 13-10. New Mexico went 4-8.

On the other hand, they have more quality wins than the traditional dream buster team does. Still, if we had a valid system, the Utah problem would take care of itself, because the perfect system would include more parity in the competition and not allow teams like Utah to play against mediocre competition.

Even as a FL fan, I can't really argue against Utah. They did go undefeated, and they beat a very good Bama team (that didn't have anything to play for, but that's just making excuses).

Having said that, they would get beaten badly by Florida, Oklahoma, Texas or USC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:26 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

After watching them beat Bama, I just don't know that to be true. The Utes this year are no Hawaii. They're a solid squad, and they should have been given a shot. However, I didn't come to this conclusion until after they beat Bama, so there you go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:41 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Nobody can say with certainty what would happen if Utah played Florida, Texas, OU, or anyone else. They played Alabama (who was overrated, in my opinion) and beat them. They did their part and should be happy with the season they had. I want a playoff in Division 1 but until they get one, teams that aren't in major conferences have to do what they can if they want a national title shot. Utah has the ability to schedule tougher out-of-conference opponents, which would then bolster their computer BCS ranking with wins. Until they do this, they are stuck in a crappy conference and their wins won't "mean as much" in the computer, which will end up hurting their final BCS Ranking. This will continue to happen almost every year. Last year, wasn't it Hawaii who had the same exact argument (until they got pounded in their bowl game)? Didn't Boise State have the same argument a few years ago? Someone else will have this argument next year.

As for the rest, it's all just opinion, so why argue about it? And further, the "argument" is pretty much everyone in agreement on one side, and one person on the other side of the fence. Guess who that other person is? Personally, I prefer watching Major League Baseball over the NBA. And we all know how "boring" baseball is to the masses. It's a matter of preference, and I prefer baseball. Every sport has its share of athletes and every sport has its share of "how the fuck is he playing sports professionally?" people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 PM 

I agree.. playoff is ideal. Until then, what we have is working as well as it can.

And, FL/OU is one hell of a matchup. Two Heisman trophy winners, two incredible offenses, and the two best conferences. Texas showed it didn't belong in the game with their squeaker over OSU. We'll see if it lives up to expectations. I went to the SEC Championship game but can't get the time off to go to the BCS, nor the blessing of the wifey-cakes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:48 PM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Glad to see someone giving the Big 12 the respect it deserves. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
Its fun watching you all Rant, Rave and Grunt over this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Every team plays a patsy,

look at these winners OU and Fla played

OU vs Chattanoga

Fla vs the powerhouse that is

the Citadel

I'm not saying Utah would be Fla or OU, but I'm not sayin they wouldn't either, they are 1 of the top 4 teams in the nation and should get a shot for a Natl Title, this year, along with USC and Fla, OU

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

The difference is OU and Florida also play conference games which usually include at least 3 teams that spent some time in the top 10 so they can afford the luxury of a patsy. The conference games that Utah plays ARE patsy teams more often than not, so they should try to schedule tougher non-conference games. Scheduling Michigan was a good start, Michigan just happened to suck donkey dicks (the nasty pink ones).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

agreed, but the MWC doesn't get some of the respect is deserves as a whole,

TCU is currently ranked 12th, BYU was undefeated and in the top 10 till Utah beat them, and then rolling Alabama

they have a home and home series with Mich that has been running 3 years now I think and Utah has won 2 of the 3

and they usually schedule BIG, Pac 10 teams in series quite often, again I'm not saying that are a College powerhouse

now, BUT they are establishing themselves, 2 BCS wins is alot more than say Ohio St has recently

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:31 AM 

I actually think that
Draconi

made some good

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:23 AM 

Draconi did make some good points. Unfortunately, he kinda proved in his post why Utah and the MWC probably shouldn't get a shot.

Look at Ohio State as the example. They play against absolutely mediocre competition every year. They don't have to play in a championship game. Yet, because they are the "class" of their conference, they are almost guaranteed a shot at the title game if they can manage just 1 loss to a good team.

They get to the title game, they get blown out by a superior school which has been tested by stiff competition week in and week out.

If Utah were given a shot at legitimacy as they clearly deserve, it would create a system where the elite schools from the best conferences would never be able to get a shot at the title, because the schools that play in the shit conferences without championship games will always be undefeated or 1-loss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

What makes a shit conference IMO, like the Big East deserving of a an automatic BCS bid for its champion then ?

UConn
Syracuse
Louisville
Cinncinati
Pittsburgh

minus WVU and VT who have proven to be decent football programs, why are any of those teams more deserving of a shot over , TCU, Utah, BYU, and a few others like New Mexico who has statrted to put together a decent program.

Yes I know the Big East was given its auto bid when it had Miami, BC, etc etc, but why do they still have it

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 AM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
Because it is the Big East and all the writers are in the east and have a hard on for everything Big East. I would bet you that if you could magically swap the Mountain West and the Big East conferences (Keeping the established media in place) then the Mt. West would be a BCS conference and the Big East would not

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

There is a way that a conference can be removed from its auto bid, and a while back the Big East was close to meeting it. The other conferences were talking about going through with it, then West Virginia bitchsmacked Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and that was the end of that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Wtf! You mention all those teams in the Big East and leave out USF! That's bullshit.

(get it)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:46 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Ironic that the Mountain West Conference had two teams (Utah, TCU) finish in the top 7 in the final AP poll. And at least two other teams that I know of played in bowl games, one of which (BYU) ended up in the final top 25. For an absolute crappy conference as the MWC, they had more teams in the top 7 than more well known conferences as Big 10, Pac 10, Big East, and the ACC.

Not saying that should put the MWC as a top 3 conference in the land, but I doubt it is as crappy as many think. At least the upper part of the conference has talent...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:46 PM 

You're on to something.

Mostly, it's the sheer abject shit that is the Big East and (especially) the ACC and Big 10 that make the MWC seem so good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:39 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I just don't see how much longer they can go without a playoff. I love that Congress is sticking its nose into it again.

I guess this is my basic thought.
You take the top 8 teams.
Those 8 teams play in various bowls throughout the country.
Now you're down to 4 teams.
The semi-finals are played in the Orange and Rose Bowl.
The finals are played in the Fiesta Bowl.

True, Miami of Ohio may not get a chance to play in the Uncle Cracker Sausage Bowl with a 6-4 record, but oh well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

EQ1: Xantheus
WoW: Xantheus
Ther's no reason you can't still have the other bowls and have a playoff for the top 8 teams.

Offline Profile