It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:07 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
For our anniversary I was going to buy tickets to see Flogging Molly at the House of Blues in Cleveland Ohio. The concert is Feb 20th and/or 21st. Both shows only have "GA" General Admission (squished in a vertical position for 3-4 hours after standing in line for an hour) - being too old for such shenanigans, I wanted to get the reserved seating. Nope. Not going to happen... Fine, fuck you, we will go to the Fillmore in Detroit on the 19th and sit in the Mezzanine. No, fuck you. "GA" only ---- UNLESS ---- you head on over to ticketsnow.com (which is oh so conveniently linked from the page that tells you your tickets are unavailable) and purchase the tickets for over 2x the face value. Fine.. FUCK.. whatever.. "Buy Now" - Oh, 20 dollars in fees? Fuck... Oh, another 15 bucks in shipping via fedex as your only option (other than overnight $25 shipping)? - 2 Tickets to Flogging Molly = over $180.00

Well, maybe next year.

I honestly wouldn't care so much if that was how much they cost face value but I hate being made to feel like a chump getting ripped off.

Anyhoo, so the wife and I are looking for things to do the weekend of Feb 20th within about a 6 hour drive of Cincinnati Ohio - looking for about a 3 day get-away --- any ideas?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

http://www.ticketsnow.com/

and

http://www.epinions.com/Tickets_Now_Onl ... pp_~1#list

Oh, and if any of you have some secret method of getting the "good tickets" at face value or there about, please share - I would still like to go see Flogging Molly, but between feeling like I'm getting assfucked and all the horrible reviews about ticketsnow.com - I just don't want to use them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:32 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Ticketsnow is just another form of ticket scalping, and no way would I support them.

Interesting enough, this is on the news today;

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090102/ticket_resale_090102/20090102?hub=Entertainment

Quote:
Ticketmaster denies resale site has easy ticket access

Updated Fri. Jan. 2 2009 1:06 PM ET

The Canadian Press

TORONTO -- Ticketmaster says it is providing consumers with better protection through its resale site TicketsNow, which offers concert tickets at many times their face value, but consumer advocates say such a setup should be illegal.

People who log on to Ticketmaster's website looking to buy tickets for concerts, plays, sports or other special events often find themselves automatically redirected to TicketsNow - which Ticketmaster purchased in Feb. 2008 for US$265 million - just minutes after the tickets go on sale.

"It seems to people it's instantaneous and they've never had a fair shot," said Ticketmaster vice-president Joe Freeman, who noted tickets for high-demand events can sell at up to 14,000 per minute.

"It's as fair a system as we've been able to come up with short of having people wait around the block in the freezing cold, as used to happen in the good old days."

The Consumers' Association of Canada said it has received many complaints from buyers who don't like being directed to a resale site owned by Ticketmaster that charges much higher prices for the same tickets they couldn't buy through Ticketmaster's own system.

"It's a conflict, it's a monopoly, it's unconscionable," said association vice-president Mel Fruitman. "It may not be illegal, but it sure is immoral and unethical as far as I'm concerned."

Freeman insisted that Ticketmaster does not hold back tickets for TicketsNow, nor does the resale site get special access to tickets. He said the resale site is available to any broker or individual who wants to sell tickets.

"We are giving absolutely no preferential access to ticket brokers or anyone affiliated with TicketsNow to get tickets," he said. "We're not diverting tickets to TicketsNow."

Ticketmaster does get a slice of the increased price from tickets sold on TicketsNow, in effect giving the company two sets of service charges from each ticket sold and then resold.

"That's a fair statement," Freeman said. "It's accurate, but it's apples and oranges, because the service charge off the initial sale is almost always shared with the venue, the promoter or the team."

The consumers association complained that Ticketmaster even charges customers to print a ticket on top of its service charge for the same ticket.

"You pay for them not paying to print the tickets," Fruitman said. "They don't have to incur a printing cost, and I've got to pay for that?"

Fruitman also said Ticketmaster's near monopoly on tickets sold at most major venues in Canada and the United States may be broken next year as contracts come up for renewal, with promoter Live Nation already announcing plans to sever its relationship with Ticketmaster in 2009.

Ticketmaster received complaints after an AC/DC show in Vancouver sold out in minutes, only for tickets to be quickly available for higher prices on TicketsNow. The resale site also charged up to $1,199 for a $44 face-value ticket to a recent Killers concert in Toronto - roughly a 2,500 per cent markup.

Tickets for many events are rarely priced at their full market value, said Freeman, who noted many people are used to buying tickets at higher prices from scalpers on the street without any guarantees they aren't counterfeit.

"If you're buying a ticket from a guy under the overpass by the Air Canada Centre, you don't know if those are going to be valid tickets until you're in the door," Freeman said.

"We're trying to bring a much higher level of consumer protection to the whole resale space."

The Canadian Press was shunted back and forth between three Ontario ministries as it tried to learn if Ticketmaster's ownership of TicketsNow violated the province's law against reselling tickets above face value, and was eventually told complaints should be taken to police.

"If there are those who are concerned about it, or have identified some issues, they should refer them to the police so they can investigate," said Attorney General Chris Bentley.

"I'll certainly make sure that my colleague Minister Takhar knows about it as a consumer protection issue that I'm sure he'll want to take a look at."

However, the office of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Minister Harinder Takhar referred calls about TicketsNow to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, which promptly redirected calls to the attorney general.

Toronto police say they have received no complaints about Ticketmaster's ownership of TicketsNow.

Freeman said even though Ticketmaster is confident it does not violate the resale law, the company believes the law is outdated and doesn't reflect the realities of the Internet age or the law of supply and demand.

"You and I both know there is a thriving ticket-broker industry ... so the law is really a fiction," he said.

"We very strongly feel the law needs to be modernized to reflect the reality of Internet commerce. By keeping a price cap in place, you're really just driving the (resale) business into the shadows."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:54 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:48 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

This is a tricky situation. On one hand, I'm against it. On the other, I'm totally for it.

The fact is that tickets are a commodity and any attempt to force a "face value" will always fail.

I personally do not understand why events do not use a simply auction system like eBay. Set a minimum price, set an expiration date, bid away. That way, at least the company doing the show is making money, rather than a bunch of scalpers.

The basic argument against this is "the real fans should be able to buy at an affordable price." Well, that's a stupid position because few people actually get tickets that way.

I enjoy the occasional live event, but they're too ridiculously over-priced. I was thinking about getting Elton John/Billy Joel tickets, but decent seats are like $200 a pop. Forget that.

Bottom line is, whoever can pay the most should be able to see the show.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:50 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I should chime in that TicketMaster continuing to abuse their monopoly is complete bullshit. I wish Pearl Jam was smarter and lead the charge in a more intelligent way.

With the Internet, there is no reason we can't have a competitor in place. Managing tickets to events isn't all that tough. A couple college students could write the program as a capstone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Orme, a Singing Bard wrote:
Bottom line is, whoever can pay the most should be able to see the show.

100% fucking agreed. Ticketmaster still eats cock however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:22 PM 

Shit like this is just wrong;

Ticketmaster received complaints after an AC/DC show in Vancouver sold out in minutes, only for tickets to be quickly available for higher prices on TicketsNow. The resale site also charged up to $1,199 for a $44 face-value ticket to a recent Killers concert in Toronto - roughly a 2,500 per cent markup.

The real problem with tickets though is the exact same problem as the gold farming in wow.

The people support these pirates by paying them what they want.

As long as there is a market, this will continue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The people support these pirates by paying them what they want.

Yup, that's what it comes down to.

We can try to throw blame at the companies for this sort of thing, but in reality it's the consumers that make this possible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:16 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

It's like the people that buy all the Wii's before Christmas creating a shortage so they can sell them for 300 bucks on ebay/craigslist.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:55 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Once again, what's the problem here?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:21 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

No problem at all, Dwight.

What happens when it's barrels of oil and not game systems?

I guess profiteering/price manipulation is ok as long as it's luxury items. (like diamonds)

Try to sell a bottle of water 2 days after Katrina for 20 bucks and you are some sorta "bad guy".. pfffffft....

I get what you are saying. I really do, but on some level it just seems wrong and slimy. Welcome to America.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:56 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I'm not seeing the big deal either, honestly. People reprice their own shit all the time, this just happens to be a rather stark example. How much is too much? Bottom line to me is that people should have the right to put any price they want on their own property.

If people are buying, particularly luxury items, that pretty much ends the debate right there of "what's the ticket worth?". Why should a company be forced to price something lower than what it's worth?

I think the point of that comic above is more or less: "Greedy businesses sell bad shit for high prices, wonder why they aren't making money on it, and then run to the government for help when they fail." Problem is, there have been innumerable businesses that mark their shit up for more than it was *originally* worth and actually end up being very successful, never asking for a cent of aid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Sounds like you're just pissed because you have to pay more for something someone worked to get ahead of you. If this is a problem for you, you can camp out at the venue a week ahead of time, or write a website camping script.

You're entitled to absolutely nothing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:02 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen wrote:
I'm not seeing the big deal either, honestly. People reprice their own shit all the time, this just happens to be a rather stark example. How much is too much? Bottom line to me is that people should have the right to put any price they want on their own property.
There is a distinction here between the following:

1. Scalpers buying up TicketMaster tickets and reselling
2. TicketMaster routing tickets to a subsidiary or sister company

The distinction is that in case #1, the resellers are supposedly on an equal playing field. In case #2, TicketMaster is abusing a monopoly.

Furthermore, TicketMaster does not OWN the tickets, so your example is not accurate. It does own the tickets once it transfers them to TicketsNow (I assume).

I think the highest bidder should be able to attend the events, so I don't have a probelm with marking stuff up. What continues to boggle my mind is the exclusive hold TicketMaster has on the ticket business. I was hoping to see someone like StubHub get into the business of actually competing with TicketMaster, not the other way around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Is TicketMaster actually just sending the tickets to TicketsNow themselves? Or do they just own the site and that seems fishy to some people? Because unless they're sending the tickets straight to TicketsNow themselves, there doesn't seem to be any issue here, at least not in my eyes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:15 PM 

Without getting too deep into the monopoly debate again, do you have a beef specifically with them transferring the tickets(after they buy them or whatever) to Ticketsnow and then selling them? I'm not sure what that beef is, since they could easily use their own company and do the exact same thing by marking it up. Ok, so they don't own the tickets at first, but they're clearly selling something that people are willing to pay money for. They mark up that exact same product that people are willing to buy for. For all intents and purposes, that service is their own, and they have a right to mark it up for whatever they wish. People also have the right not to buy it.

Still not seeing the big deal. Ticketmaster is marking up its own product. Key word: "ITS". People obviously still think its worth it to buy their marked up version, or it wouldn't sell. So again my question is: Do you want them to sell something for less than its worth? That seems to be what you're asking them to do.

Quote:
Furthermore, TicketMaster does not OWN the tickets, so your example is not accurate. It does own the tickets once it transfers them to TicketsNow (I assume).

I should clarify that it's more of a service since they're buying them up and then reselling to you directly from the events. But, it's still their service and I fail to see why they can't price it however they want. If I want to jump up and down on a table while simultaneously patting myself on the head and rubbing my belly, I should be able to charge whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:13 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Venen wrote:
Ticketmaster is marking up its own product. Key word: "ITS".

No.

Otherwise Ticketmaster could simply contract with the concert to sell tickets at a higher price. Or to withhold X% of tickets for a higher price. Or have a huuuuuuge price disparity ...the list goes on.

Instead it is selling tickets to a company it also owns (but is a SEPERATE company for specific reasons...like not having to give ANY of that mark up profit to ANYONE else!) and then selling them for a much higher price.

The big problem with it is, while one can claim it's a completely seperate company and there's absolutely no collusion, and the OTHER company obtains it's tickets just as if they had no connection....it's automatically bullshit. Even assuming that's true, they still have advantages that they wouldn't have if there was no relationship. Here's a basic one...do they share software? Do they know EXACTLY how ticketmaster sells it's product giving them an advantage in buying them out? Does ticketmaster give prefered access to their servers, whereas YOU get locked out trying to buy the ticket because 943594 other people are hammering the site.

Blah blah blah blah.

Additional note, some states prohibit this. I was looking at going to NYC (around 9/2001, yeah creepy...we did DC instead 2 weeks earlier) and was shocked to find that I could buy *good* tickets for the Producers...at reasonable prices. Why?

Scalping laws. Ticket resellers have specific laws on markups...they can't mark it up a whole lot. So no matter WHO I went through, the price was pretty much the same, and much less than 2x the face value, tho I forget what it was. And I found that out because I was so shocked at the price, I thought maybe the first place I called was a scam, but they explained the law (and then yes, I checked heh).

New York does it. I'm sure other locations do too. And that's how you combat this shit ultimately. The laws also apply to street scalpers, but sports fans have always worked around it, you just risk ticket seizure and counterfeiting w/ high priced/low ticket number events (like playoffs, etc.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
Is TicketMaster actually just sending the tickets to TicketsNow themselves?
They say they aren't but there is no way of knowing.

One of the MAJOR advantages Ticketnow has is that they are linked right there. Once you go through all the hassle of trying to get your tickets and the screen comes up that says they don't have any available, they link you directly to ticketsnow where they just happen to have the seat you were looking for at 5x the price.

Pretty ingenious. They make money off the original sale and then again when they are bought through tickets now (they have their own sets of fees and charges). I dare say they make more off of fees and misc. charges than what the ticket face value is. (in some cases, like mine - 29.00 ticket)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:49 AM 

Quote:
No.

Otherwise Ticketmaster could simply contract with the concert to sell tickets at a higher price. Or to withhold X% of tickets for a higher price. Or have a huuuuuuge price disparity ...the list goes on.

Instead it is selling tickets to a company it also owns (but is a SEPERATE company for specific reasons...like not having to give ANY of that mark up profit to ANYONE else!) and then selling them for a much higher price.

The big problem with it is, while one can claim it's a completely seperate company and there's absolutely no collusion, and the OTHER company obtains it's tickets just as if they had no connection....it's automatically bullshit. Even assuming that's true, they still have advantages that they wouldn't have if there was no relationship. Here's a basic one...do they share software? Do they know EXACTLY how ticketmaster sells it's product giving them an advantage in buying them out? Does ticketmaster give prefered access to their servers, whereas YOU get locked out trying to buy the ticket because 943594 other people are hammering the site.

No to its own services? In what sense? They get the tickets from the events and sell them to you. How is that not its own service? If it wasn't a service that they offered, they wouldn't make money. There's at least something Ticketmaster is doing for people that they are willing to pay, I'd call that its own service.

That being said, I'm still not seeing a problem with this. I DO see a problem when a company needs to make a separate company JUST to mark up their own services because of laws that prevent it. Those things you outlined above, of course they should be able to use the same software and get preferential treatment via their OWN company for their OWN services. They really shouldn't have to make a separate company to do that in the first place, so its only fair that their secondary company would be able to get advantages.

On the note about scalping, I never understood why it was such a big deal. Heaven forbid someone buy something and sell their own bought goods for a higher price in a free market economy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Because their service is ticket sales NOT reselling marked up tickets.

Ticketmaster doesn't own the concert tickets, they merely have a distribution license...if that makes it easier for you to understand their position.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:19 PM 

Exactly, their service is distribution. Ticketmaster does not exist out of thin air, they have to make a profit somewhere to stay afloat. I'm not saying they're marking up the tickets themselves, rather they're marking up their services. They have every right to mark up their services however they see fit. When Ticketsnow marks up the price on their tickets, it could just easily be the service they're marking up, not the actual tickets.

But, even so, they should be able to put a price on the tickets they "distribute" however they see fit, with or without a distribution license.

Also, if they're in charge of distribution and they get that job done, why shouldn't they be able to distribute tickets to themselves and then resell as a separate service?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Trying to simplify this.

Let's say I'm the government.
I exclusively hire Joe to find a contractor to build me roads.
I pay Joe a flat fee to find me contractors to build roads.
Joe realizes some contractors make very good money.
So, Joe creates his own contracting firm and hires it.

Is that legal? Is that moral? I don't know, but at a bare minimum it stinks of a conflict of interest. That is basically what is happening with TicketMaster/TicketsNow.

Furthermore, TicketMaster has access to data that competing scalpers do not, so it has a distinct, monopoly related advantage over the competition by colluding with TicketsNow.

That's the problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:05 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

What Orme said, exactly.

And Venen you may not see a problem with it, but do you at least understand the analogies being used and see where people are saying the problem exists? I mean if it's a difference of opinion that's cool, but I had the feeling I wasn't explaining WHY it's an issue and that's where I was losing you.

Good analogy Orme.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:12 PM 
The Sleeper
The Sleeper

EQ1: Leolan
Rift: Leolan
Am I the only one who can't help read that as TicketSnow?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:13 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
No, you're not, Leo. And I find it a fitting moniker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 AM 

Ticketmaster is a monopoly, they have no competition, when they get an event, they are the only ones producing and selling tickets.

If you want to see a concert, you have no choice but to purchase ticketmaster tickets.

So you justify the market that people are willing to pay $2500 to see a show that its fair markup?

How about if there was only one refinery in north america, and they decided to charge $25 bucks a gallon for gasoline, people will pay it, there is nothing else that will work in your car to run it, so what choice do you have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 AM 

Quote:
Trying to simplify this.

Is that legal? Is that moral? I don't know, but at a bare minimum it stinks of a conflict of interest. That is basically what is happening with TicketMaster/TicketsNow.

Furthermore, TicketMaster has access to data that competing scalpers do not, so it has a distinct, monopoly related advantage over the competition by colluding with TicketsNow.

That's the problem.

Looking at that analogy... I honestly cannot say I see a problem with that one, either. Joe is performing something that anyone could really do. I guess my question with regard to the analogy is: Did Joe cut the original person hiring him off? If not, he is merely doing some business on the side and keeping within the terms of his original deal with the person hiring him to seek out contractors.

I would relate it more to something akin to: John gets hired to mine crystal deposits in a cave somewhere. He's getting paid 100k(whatever, just make up a number)/year to mine it up. But, John intelligently realizes that the crystals he's mining up and chucking over to his employer are worth 5 million over the span of a year. He therefore realizes he's ripping himself off, and decides to mine some of his own on the side.

The above is sort of the situation with TicketMaster. They realized that they're ripping themselves off by selling for a valuable service for a valuable commodity for a cheap price, and so they're using their OWN resources and effort to make a justified profit for what those tickets are REALLY worth to the people.

Now, as far as people being able to just up and challenge TM as it relates to the TicketsNow situation, certainly fewer people are going to be able to set up a situation where events collaborate with them to sell tickets - BUT, it's something that an up-and-coming business certainly could do if they paid them more or offered them a more lucrative deal. Further, it's my understanding that not all tickets are attained just "bam" instantly, and an enterprising person could certainly go directly to the organizations that run these events and grab tickets up.

Quote:
And Venen you may not see a problem with it, but do you at least understand the analogies being used and see where people are saying the problem exists? I mean if it's a difference of opinion that's cool, but I had the feeling I wasn't explaining WHY it's an issue and that's where I was losing you.

I'm guessing it's a difference of opinion. I acknowledge I may be missing something there, but I do believe I see the objection/reasoning. That reasoning being they are using their own established system with all of their resources at their disposal as a base for charging higher prices. And I do acknowledge their *foothold* in the industry is very strong. I think there's some weight to the "monopoly" argument, but I disagree that the tactics being used are unfair.

And the bottom line really to me is the end result of all this: Ticketsnow is selling tickets that people are PERFECTLY willing to pay. They may complain and protest, but at the end of the day, this business is clearly making a profit, and that is because people are WILLING to buy them. So the end result is that you have a company selling something at an obviously agreeable price. If there was some kind of "forcing" of people to buy this... relatively "luxury" item... I would see a problem. But people are buying of their own free will.

I would generally make an exception to that if it was a necessary commodity - for example, food. People are obviously going to be going out of their way to make sure they don't starve, and so you can't really say that it's a "willing" payment in the same sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:32 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:

Is that even what's happening though? It seems like everyone is just ASSUMING that TicketMaster is taking all the tickets themselves and listing them on TicketsNow themselves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:48 AM 

Quote:
If you want to see a concert, you have no choice but to purchase ticketmaster tickets.

So you justify the market that people are willing to pay $2500 to see a show that its fair markup?

Absolutely. No one would really suffer much if they decided not to go to concerts for a year or two and never give TicketMaster the time of day. I just think that, with the myriad of different social entertainment options people have in this day, it doesn't seem like you would be depriving yourself of that much. The bottom line is that it is a luxury item.

Quote:
How about if there was only one refinery in north america, and they decided to charge $25 bucks a gallon for gasoline, people will pay it, there is nothing else that will work in your car to run it, so what choice do you have.

And this of course, most definitely NOT a luxury item. It is absolutely necessary to the majority of people's lives *simply* to survive economically. There is no comparison.

In this case, people are willing to pay large amounts NOT necessarily because they view the item's price as justified, but because they need it to survive. In the case of the concert tickets, they actually may not feel that the price is justified and pay for it anyway as well - BUT, because it is not a necessity, they are expressing with their money that it's worth it to THEM in exchange for the entertainment they get out of it. For the gas, worth it for survival. And therein lies the difference - worthiness for an unecessary thing, and worthiness for a necessity. With the latter, they have fewer *options* to decide what something is worth, and it's a more artificial price.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen wrote:
Quote:
Trying to simplify this.

That's the problem.

Looking at that analogy... I honestly cannot say I see a problem with that one, either. Joe is performing something that anyone could really do. I guess my question with regard to the analogy is: Did Joe cut the original person hiring him off? If not, he is merely doing some business on the side and keeping within the terms of his original deal with the person hiring him to seek out contractors.

I would relate it more to something akin to: John gets hired to mine crystal deposits in a cave somewhere. He's getting paid 100k(whatever, just make up a number)/year to mine it up. But, John intelligently realizes that the crystals he's mining up and chucking over to his employer are worth 5 million over the span of a year. He therefore realizes he's ripping himself off, and decides to mine some of his own on the side.
Your example is still a fairly obvious conflict of interest and if John's employer knew he was doing it, he would be fired. If you can't understand that, we really have nothing to discuss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:09 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Quote:

Is that even what's happening though? It seems like everyone is just ASSUMING that TicketMaster is taking all the tickets themselves and listing them on TicketsNow themselves.
No - we do not know that for a fact. At a minimum, it certainly appears to be a conflict of interest. Maybe Joe is the best contractor.

I guess the problem I have with it is that TicketMaster has access to a lot of proprietary data. For example, TicketMaster knows precisely how many tickets are expected to be available. They know exactly when they go on sale. They know the exact buying trends of comparable concerts. This is a huge competitive advantage and is directly tied to their monopoly. That is where I have a problem.

Again, nobody has really proven they are doing this, but if it appears to be a conflict of interest, it usually is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:45 AM 

Quote:
Your example is still a fairly obvious conflict of interest and if John's employer knew he was doing it, he would be fired. If you can't understand that, we really have nothing to discuss.

A conflict of interest in what way? He found materials that weren't being utilized while maintaining the job that he was hired to do. The employer may get pissy about him, but it is his right to fire him just because he started making a good profit on something.

Just as with Ticketmaster, John would instead be getting paid the *appropriate* amount for the job he was doing. Ticketmaster won't be firing Ticketsnow anytime soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:58 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Having a conversation with you is painful.

Do you seriously not get it? In your example, John is paid to mine diamonds, yet competes with his employer on his off hours. Have you ever had a job? Do you even know what a conflict of interest is? Do you really need me to explain why this problematic?

It really is mind boggling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:35 PM 

I'm talking about a conflict of interest as it relates to Ticketmaster and Ticketsnow. Certainly "Joe competing with his boss" counts as a conflict of interest, but that's a different kind of conflict of interest when we're talking about monopolies. Joe's boss could easily fire him in my example but the question of whether what he was doing was ethical(or legal) or not would remain. That is precisely the question that seems to be asked of the TM/TS situation here. In that case, it may as well be the same company.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 PM 

Congressman demands Springsteen ticket price probe

Updated Wed. Feb. 4 2009 10:58 AM ET

The Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- A New Jersey congressman is demanding an investigation after Bruce Springsteen fans were unable to buy tickets from Ticketmaster's website, which then promptly offered them more expensive tickets from a subsidiary.

Representative Bill Pascrell of Paterson wants the Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department to investigate possible conflicts of interest involving Ticketmaster and a ticket reseller it owns, TicketsNow.

When tickets for Springsteen's Meadowlands show went on sale Monday, some fans got an error message on their computer screen that shut them out from buying tickets.

A TicketsNow ad offered tickets for hundreds of dollars more than face value. A Ticketmaster spokesman said only a few fans reported problems.

Similar complaints about TicketsNow have been made before in Canada.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:25 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I hope something comes out of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:13 PM 

Didn't take long for this to come about.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Suit alleges Ticketmaster broke anti-scalping law

Updated Mon. Feb. 9 2009 1:30 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A $500-million class action lawsuit has been launched against Ticketmaster and related groups, claiming the ticket seller conspired to "scalp" its own tickets.

The suit alleges that Ticketmaster has diverted tickets to concerts and other popular events away from its own regular website, Ticketmaster.ca, over to its ticket-brokering website TicketsNow.com. TicketsNow allows people who have tickets to exchange, trade or sell tickets at marked-up prices.

Lawyers from Sutts, Strosberg in Windsor, Ont., and Branch McMaster in Vancouver say they're representing a client who allegedly paid more than $530 for two concert tickets from TicketsNow that would have cost about $130 if they had been available from Ticketmaster.

The client had attempted to buy the tickets through Ticketmaster's regular website and was directed him to the higher-priced tickets on the TicketsNow website.

The firms say other event-goers have been overcharged in the same way when they bought tickets from Ticketmaster.ca or TicketsNow.com since February 2007.

They allege the defendants violated Ontario's "anti-scalping" laws, contending that the practice of selling tickets in the secondary market for amounts that exceed their face price violates the legislation.

The law firms claim Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc., Ticketmaster Canada Ltd., TNOW Entertainment Group, Inc., and Premium Inventory, INC. owe $500 million in damages to those who were overcharged.

The firms allege that Ticketmaster deliberately limits the number of tickets that are sold at face price and then diverts tickets to TicketsNow, where they can be sold for amounts that exceed their face value.

"Customers have voiced concerns over the fact that tickets for the most popular events can ostensibly sell out in minutes, only to become immediately available in the secondary market at much higher prices," said Luciana Brasil of Branch McMaster, one of the lawyers representing the plaintiff.

"The mere fact that Ticketmaster has a financial interest in both retail and premium ticket sales leads to an obvious question about the process by which those tickets are sold to members of the public and how it works," said Jay Strosberg of Sutts Strosberg LLP, another of the lawyers representing the plaintiff.

Ticketmaster has said in response to prior complaints that the company's ticket-selling system is fair and doesn't violate the law.

The class action aims to represent all persons who bought tickets for an event in Ontario from Ticketmaster or through TicketsNow.com from and after February 9, 2007. More information on the suit can be found at www.ticketmasterclassaction.com.

Earlier this month, Bruce Springsteen expressed anger with Ticketmaster's selling practices.

He said he has heard from fans who wanted to see him play at New Jersey's Meadowlands that they received an error message on their computer screen that shut them out of the main Ticketmaster website.

The potential ticket-buyers then saw an ad for Ticketmaster subsidiary TicketsNow offering tickets for hundreds of dollars more than face value.

Springsteen said on his website that he and the E Street Band are "furious."

"We perceive this as a pure conflict of interest," the band said.

The band said it had received assurances from Ticketmaster that it will stop redirecting Springsteen fans to TicketsNow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:44 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
The band said it had received assurances from Ticketmaster that it will stop redirecting Springsteen fans to TicketsNow.

Now that's an interesting statement. If they aren't doing any of the moving of tickets themselves, how can they guarantee that people won't be redirected there?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

I don't want to hear from Springsteen how distraught he is that people are overpaying for his shows when his base ticket is $100+.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 AM 
Derakor the Vindicator
Derakor the Vindicator

My sister and cousin recently camped out there pc, actually 2 notebooks going and a desktop to get concert tickets.

The second the tickets went on sale, they started spamming ticketmaster.

On every connection they were nearly instantly transferred from ticketmaster to the ticketsnow web site, with the super inflated ticket prices.

I smell a rat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:30 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Frankly, I think your sister's example is why concerts should be on an Ebay type bid system for the first week of sales. That way everyone gets a fair shot at them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 PM 

Be interesting to see what kind of change they made.

Ticketmaster agrees to change online sales system
Updated Mon. Feb. 23 2009 3:37 PM ET

The Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Ticketmaster agreed Monday to change its online ticket sales process after butting heads with Bruce Springsteen and his fans.

Ticketmaster reached a settlement with New Jersey, where the Springsteen concert in question had been scheduled, said state Attorney General Anne Milgram.

The changes apply to all Ticketmaster sales nationwide, she said.

Ticketmaster said in a statement Monday that the problem was caused by a software glitch. The "voluntary agreement" with the attorney general just formalizes changes the company had already implemented, the company said.

Springsteen ticket seekers were redirected from the main Ticketmaster site to a subsidiary that charged more. Milgram said at the time that redirecting them might have violated the state's consumer fraud act.

Springsteen said on his Web site that he and the E Street Band were "furious."

Ticketmaster did not admit wrongdoing but agreed to pay the state $350,000, Milgram said.

The company will also compensate ticket holders who complained and change how it handles secondary sales, she said.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

OHHHHH... IT WAS ALL A GLITCH!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:58 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

A few days too late for me =(

We didn't go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Quote:
Ticketmaster even charges customers to print a ticket on top of its service charge for the same ticket.

This is why I refuse to ever buy tickets through ticketmaster.
If I can't get tickets through some other means, I won't go to the concert/event/whatever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 PM 

CTV Toronto

Ont. wants fair access to concert tickets: Bentley

Updated: Mon Mar. 02 2009 2:24:44 PM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General is looking into the availability and pricing of tickets for concerts and other entertainment and sporting events through Ticketmaster.

Attorney General Chris Bentley says there is growing concern among consumers about ticket prices, especially those sold through Ticketmaster's resale site, TicketsNow.

Ticketmaster recently agreed to pay the state of New Jersey $350,000 and to change the way it does business in the United States because of an outcry over TicketsNow by Bruce Springsteen fans.

Bentley says he's asked his officials to review Ticketmaster's settlement with New Jersey, which included a promise to compensate Springsteen fans who had been redirected to TicketsNow

He says the province wants assurances from Ticketmaster that Ontario consumers will be treated fairly.

Bentley wouldn't say what options his staff could recommend after reviewing the Ticketmaster situation, suggesting it was too early to talk about possible criminal charges or legislation.

It is illegal in Ontario to sell tickets above their face value.

Offline Profile