Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:29 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Happy Holidays!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:39 PM 
Do you smell that?

This thread makes me want to listen to Tony Bennett Christmas albums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:49 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
I'm jerking off to Mannheim Steamroller as we speak.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:53 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I like Dean Martin Christmas songs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Gosthok wrote:
Nor do we find out why morons make such a big deal when Merry Christmas isn't said. :)

I misread that twice as 'Mormons'. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:58 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Nekrotic:

The first thing you learn in any class on relativity is the equivalence principle of general relativity: that gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same.

What does this mean?

Well, gravitational mass is what determines the gravitational field. Inertial mass is used in the equations of motion. If they're equivalent, then forces due to acceleration, whether induced by motion or by gravitation, if equal, will be indistinguishable.

Centripetal acceleration due to spinning in a circular space station would both feel and measure as if there were a gravitational acceleration pinning you to the floor. But the centripetal force is not gravity, and has nothing to do with gravity. We just can't their accelerations apart.

Got it?

Quote:
But maybe you think Bovi is more knowledgeable than I am about science. Fair enough. This is the same guy that asks me to prove that solid matter will condense when heat is applied, because apparently he's never cooked a hamburger on a BBQ before. But no worries, you believe who you want to believe.

Hold up. The water is evaporated out of the meat, and the solid fat melts into grease and drips out of the burger, into the grill. So the burger gets smaller, because that stuff isn't in it anymore. It's like turning grapes into raisins. But that doesn't mean "matter, when heated, condenses", that's way too general a claim.

You have to understand what's going on at the molecular level. Trying to keep it simple, you have basically two different tendencies. You have the heat energy of the individual molecules which will tend to make them fly around and away from each other, and you have the repulsion/attraction of their electron shells' electrical fields (this is what's responsible for crystal lattice structures in ice, diamond, and so on).

Within that you have different types of attraction/repulsion, like dipole-dipole interactions, the van Der Waals force, ionic bonding. But for simplicity's sake you can treat them all as cousins in the same family.

Matter being heated from a solid to a liquid will "condense", yep. Electrical field forces between molecules aren't strong enough to overcome their individual heat energy and keep them all still in an ordered lattice, but there's still enough attraction there to keep them together (liquid).

Matter being heated from liquid to gas will expand, as individual heat energies of molecules completely overcome their mutual electrical attraction. Eventually when it's far and away too powerful for the electrical forces to keep them together, the matter state changes from liquid to gas.

This leaves out all those state-change goodies like sublimation and such. Same principles, just the rate of reaction and states changed are a bit different.

Finally, the earth is not a closed system, and you can't apply the 2nd law to any systems which aren't closed. Arguing the universe is a closed system is true but facetious, as not all locales are at their lowest energy states yet. Call us in 120 billion years when all the stars have finished burning. Until then, higher energy / lower entropy states such as life will be possible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:11 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

EQ1: Syuni D'zpecyzczn
Short form:

Yes, Nek, you ARE a moron.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:43 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Fribur wrote:
If you listen to most typical Protestant proclamations the last several years, this is the claim of most of their churches-- that you can have a "personal" relationship with God Himself.
Oh, I totally get you.
I mean, people "speak in tongues", so there definitely is a God in their book.

I guess this also means hypnotism is real.

The whole thing simply frustrates me, but oh well, lots of stuff frustrates me :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:37 AM 
What does this button do?
What does this button do?

For some reason Dolalins post made me think of winter in Minnesota. When it is really cold out some people actually hope sublimation takes care of the snow on the sidewalk. It never works fast enough though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

Happy Holidays if you don't know their religious beliefs

Merry Christmas if you want to impose yours

Country club religions irritate me...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:01 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I want to know what a centripedes would do differently....

Tring to decide if I want one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:12 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

For any interested, there's an entropy-related discussion on Discover's site that started a few days ago, relating to the Boltzmann Brain paradox, and the question of whether our universe is or is not simply some random, by-chance fluctuation of low entropy in some eternal, higher-entropy continuum.

(Sort of like all the molecules in that hypothetical box, by chance finding themselves on one side of it at exactly the same time.)

There are a few Ph.Ds posting in the comments section, too.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... nn-brains/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:22 PM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

EQ1: Phread Ritesaid
WoW: Chipps (Sombrero)
Me tinkin' dat bestest ting to am duz amz to selebrate everyting. Let me duz math fer yuse:

Bunches Presents fer Kristmus
At least 1 guud present n 7 crappy presents fer Hohnukuh
Bunches goodeez fer all /burp
Bunches froot baskuts fer Kwanzer (which am portantz affer eatin' all dat junk food fer Kristmus n Hohnukuh).
N' wish everyone a happee or merree whut yuse wunt or whut am comez to mind (if yuse work fer store n policy is specific yuse duz what store wunts).

Da bottum line tingy iz dat if'n yuse wish dems 1 thing n dems upset, dat am dere problem. If'n dems werth da trouble, den demz should know yuse mean well. Of corse if yuse know yuse friends am jewish, christian or inta komershalizashun den maybe yuse wish dems "Happee Hohnukuh," "Merree Kristmas" or "Happee Shoppin', drive safely n gits bunches kookeez."

Dat am my 2cp
HAR HAR!

Offline Profile