It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:12 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Ok, I've been trolled. Was surfing the Arts forum and read a thread about documentaries:
http://www.lanysboard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6451
in there, skycrasher writes:
Quote:
what happened to the fags in hoop dreams? betcha 100 bucks they didnt make it to the nba

I just don't get it. I would love to understand what's wrong with you in the head.

And really, at a certain point - why is this not moderated a little?

In Rants & Raves, if you want to call people flaming cunt-burgers, fine... it's R&R and is expected. But what is the point of interjecting garbage on random-movie-thread-#631.

I've surfed usenet long enough - I get trolls.
But I don't quite comprehend the bipolar schtick. You try to gain acceptance and participate in the community - then you post pointless trolls.

So - you win Lanys board - you get your own thread.
Help me understand, when you post something like the above - what reaction are you hoping for? Do you just sit with anticipation for a flame? And if that's the case, then why do you make songs up and post in hopes of acceptance.

I don't know whether to hate you or pity you. I'm boggled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:34 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Quote:
And really, at a certain point - why is this not moderated a little?

#1. There's a report button you can use, or you can PM a moderator about it. I haven't gotten any complaints about his behavior from you, nor can I recall you ever reporting a post of his. These methods exist for that purpose. It's always a bit annoying to see people whine about lack of moderation of something they find annoying, and yet other than publically or at the moment they FINALLY get off their ass and complain about it, we haven't heard a peep. And the whole 'finally get off their ass' thing is because when people do, they almost always act like they've complained 100x and nothing was done. There's always a THIS IS THE FINAL STRAW!!!1111 attitude, which is surreal from a 'Uhm, this is the first I'm hearing of this from you....' vantage point.

#2. You're assuming Skycrasher hasn't been spoken to about these issues. That would be an incorrect. He and I have had our private 'Come to Jesus' discussion regarding various things which were found to be problematic.

#3. "Fag". Personally I'd love to see this be a verbotten term other than when quoting another (much the same way the 'n' word is treated) but we have no policy as such. We really don't regarding the 'n' word either. It's generally dealt with socially, in that people who use those terms are usually smacked around and then if they don't correct themselves shunned for the pieces of shit they demonstrate themselves to be.

I would personally have little problem with making it 'verbotten' or having it be filtered so that one could only use it with specific intent (bypassing the filter) but I feel it's inappropriate for me to do so. There are circumstances under which I'd quickly find it appropriate (as we did when the boards were being 'jihad' attacked, we tossed many words into a filter so we didn't have to see the N-word sprayed everywhere while we cleaned up after the inbred children) but in this specific area I don't. Other than having 'Come to Jesus' chats which I mentioned in #2. :)

And finally...you have the ability on this board to ignore any user you dislike. You now have the power to moderator yourself. Previously when we (the adminstration) had to make decisions regarding limiting/banning user access or graphics, or content, it was largely due to the fact that people were unable to do this for themselves.

That's no longer the case. There are people on this board today which have signatures which we've gotten very legitimate complaints about. We haven't had to police them because we can tell people to simply block the signature. We really only police such things as graphics which completely fuck up the board layout (too large), and even then we're pretty nice and resize it for people when we can. We're considerate and cogent of specific problems which might impact people (such as viewable content from work, etc.) but by and large we've always been big supporters of freedom of expression within reasonable community standard limits. And now we can tell people who do potentially have legit bitches about various things that they can just go ahead and take care of it themselves.

So really your best course of action is to simply resolve the problem yourself; put him on ignore. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

As far as calling Skycrasher on his behavior though rather than ignoring him, I just want to make it clear that's also a fully acceptable way of doing it (and one I'm all for!).

I'm just specifically addressing the 'moderation' issue in my previous post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Hey Orme you could always PM me buddy. I'll stop using that word around here.

But seriously, what happened to those guys?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:52 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I like the greasemonkey script for our board. I have Neesha on it because he is 99% worthless, but happens to be a (shitty) moderator which made him unable to be put on the standard ignore list.

I don't know how the standard ignore works, but with the greasemonkey script, I can toggle his posts when he is a thread starter for something I might be interested in (black Friday deals) - but as default he is always ignored so I'm not even tempted to respond to his trolling.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6117

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I have people on ignore on other forums, and I generally keep a list under my sig. It explains why I'm not responding to them as well as keeps me away from the temptation to respond to them if I occassionally view their post anyway (since most ignore functions have a toggle ability).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Ok... I guess I totally lose at Lanys board this week.

First - I wasn't really bitching about the moderation. Don't turn this post into that pointless thread :) I hope people know me... I don't think I have ever done a /report or requested moderation.
I'm not requesting moderation here - just wondering out-loud that it seems curious that it continually goes on. Sorry if I touched a sore spot.

Next -
This has nothing to do with the word FAG. I think people who get hung up on words are stupid. This certainly is not about "word" policy.

This is about his need to be a random dick.

I would have found his post just as "offensive" if he replied "I wonder what happened to those dumb asses". It isn't the WORD, it's the pointless provocation.

Again - not hapring on moderation, but I generally try to avoid flaming of any nature in the non-flame forums. Just a personal opinion. Call it my code (hah).

I shouldn't have to because someone is consistently breaking "the rules".

But to repeat - the post has nothing to do with "the rules". That aspect is really no big deal - honest!

My apologies if this seemed like a "do your job" post to the moderators. It isn't - I don't care.

I mean this thread to be an open forum for skycrasher to help me understand him. To repeat the core question, possibly more clearly:

Why be a total random dick while simultaneously trying to be a part of the community. I just don't get it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:15 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

*I shouldn't have to because someone is consistently breaking "the rules".

should be:
I shouldn't have to use ignore because someone is consistently breaking "the rules".

God I suck. Good night.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 PM 
Spider Slayer

Well I've tried to downplay or get people to ignore or take his provocations as a compliment. The funny thing is you can see them, and if you point it out he will deny that ever being his intention. Which might be true. Who knows? Its the internet. The fact is whether its just the skycrasher stigma or he actually inflames people with how he words things, he's an annoying person to most.

I find myself giggling when I see the inflammatory areas of his posts honestly. My humor is off though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:40 PM 
Bridge Dweller

we'll have to go have a beer when i get to slc jeka

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 PM 
Spider Slayer

I only visit SLC once a year. :P Live in WA now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:08 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
xskycrasherx wrote:
Hey Orme you could always PM me buddy. I'll stop using that word around here.

But seriously, what happened to those guys?

Agee never made it, the guys made a movie about his younger brother called Stevie like 5 years ago, he never did anything either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:02 AM 
What does this button do?

With all of the quality posts on these boards I find him annoying only because his are without fail the most worthless. I really should put him on ignore but I don't because of the whole scene of the accident thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

It could have been a troll, but on the other hand there was plenty of room for the statement(other than the expletive). Could've been that he was pointing out the simple fact that often documentaries cover something in dramatic detail(such as Hoop Dreams) and when the reality of life rears its ugly head, things turn out not to end quite as glamorous as depicted in an epic documentary. That's sort of how I took it when I read it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
he is a putz

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:35 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Quote:
Skycrasher wins

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Until such time that people stop responding to or acknowledging his posts, he will continue to make them, it really is that simple.

He's already said a number of times in a number of different places that he doesn't care about the community because it's 'just the internet' so why people extend him any courtesy whatsoever is boggling.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:45 PM 
Do you smell that?

SurcamStances wrote:
Quote:
Skycrasher wins

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:08 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
ShareefRahim wrote:
SurcamStances wrote:
Quote:
Skycrasher wins

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:40 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

CakvalaSC wrote:
ShareefRahim wrote:
SurcamStances wrote:
Quote:
Skycrasher wins

It's been too long since I've posted so I decided to just sheep it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 PM 
Selling FBR First Torch!
Selling FBR First Torch!

Quote:
And finally...you have the ability on this board to ignore any user you dislike. You now have the power to moderator yourself

This.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen wrote:
It could have been a troll, but on the other hand there was plenty of room for the statement(other than the expletive). Could've been that he was pointing out the simple fact that often documentaries cover something in dramatic detail(such as Hoop Dreams) and when the reality of life rears its ugly head, things turn out not to end quite as glamorous as depicted in an epic documentary. That's sort of how I took it when I read it.
You would probably take it that way because you're a stupid faggot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:52 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
I see what you did there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:59 PM 

I guess Sky does win, whatever that means on the internet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:03 AM 

I know Orme, crazy thought, even though it fits within the context of the discussion. Sorry that you made a thread after you assumed the worst that it was a troll. Oops!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:06 AM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

These people know what it means to win on the internet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I don't really understand at all. It's not like he derailed a thread with goatse pictures or something, or flamed someone in an out-of-line manner.

Did you really love Hoop Dreams or something Orme? In such a deep manner that him asking a question about it in a crude manner really pushed you over the edge?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:41 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

I think he was asking why he'd try to fit in one minute, then be a complete douche the next. Repeatedly. Perhaps without even being aware (but how could anyone not be that unaware?). It didn't have anything to do with Hoop Dreams. But then again, I expect you to know this as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:57 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Well his example was pretty crappy then. Should have found something that...you know...actually showed what he was talking about, not some comment that actually fit the discussion at the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
Help me understand, when you post something like the above - what reaction are you hoping for? Do you just sit with anticipation for a flame? And if that's the case, then why do you make songs up and post in hopes of acceptance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Reaction to what? He posted a question about a documentary that was mentioned in a thread about documentaries. I mean, I'm not a Skycrasher afn either but that was a pretty weird thing for Orme to choose as his "last straw".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:51 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

"Reaction" does not necessarily mean how someone behaves after something happens directly to that person (he called me this, I reacted by calling him that). The "reaction" is his original post saying "what happened to the fags in Hoop Dreams". He could have "reacted" by saying "what ever happened to the guys in Hoop Dreams?" and this thread would have never been made. But in typical fashion, he couldn't even post like a normal human being and ask that way. Instead, he had to go the insulting route and call them fags, so from the outset, he was going into the conversation with a very negative attitude and putting out an assholish vibe.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not Mr. Innocent on these boards, but I maintain there's a difference in being a smartass to a select few people or posting very dry comments that people take the wrong way and just jumping in random_innocent_post and immediately going to jackass mode (others will disagree with me, of course, and say I am the pot calling the kettle black). I'll even admit that I've followed the "just ignore his posts" crowd as well because quite frankly, the whole "my opinion is fact and you're fucking stupid for thinking any differently than me" attitude is too much to deal with. It's a shame, too, because even though we've had our differences on these boards in the past, I enjoyed sparring back and forth with him. We even shared PSN handles and private messages on these boards, so I would consider him an eFriend. I just decided enough was enough and realized that my one-line jabs at him were not worth it because it lead to nothing but trouble. Unlike him, I do ultimately care how I am perceived by my peers (most of ya). And while I can be a smartass and a jackass at times, and I can act like an asshole, I don't think that I am an asshole. But I honestly don't think I can say the same about him.

Now I think the troll has been fed nicely. You're all welcome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:54 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Thank god, at least Neesha gets it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:19 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Oh, I get it.

But this thread is kinda like...having someone stab you with a big knife and when you call the cops and they ask what happened, you point at your assailant and say, "He threw a spitball at me!!!"

Basically meaning...we all know Skycrasher is a jerk and an asshat and all that, but to make a thread just to talk about it and to use "He said fag this one time!" as your "last straw" is just strange. <3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:02 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

You don't quite get it :)
It's not "my last straw".
It's not the word "fag".
I'm not saying he should be banned.
I'm not griping about the mods.

I just want to know what his motiviation is.
When he writes "what happened to those fags", I am trying to understand what reaction was he expecting.

Was he expecting people to simply ignore "fags" and discuss his comment civilly?
Was he expecting people to flame him?
Maybe his answer is "I just call everyone fags and I'm misunderstood." I don't know.

I am sincerely curious - what was the point?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:13 PM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Maybe...and this is something I've always wanted to ask literature professors and other people whose job it is to "read into" things...maybe he expected nothing? Maybe, like so many teenagers who came before and so many who will come after, he used "fag" as the "all-purpose put-down" and didn't expect anyone to "react" to it aside from answering the question?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Bovinity Divinity wrote:
Maybe...and this is something I've always wanted to ask literature professors and other people whose job it is to "read into" things...maybe he expected nothing? Maybe, like so many teenagers who came before and so many who will come after, he used "fag" as the "all-purpose put-down" and didn't expect anyone to "react" to it aside from answering the question?

Or perhaps everyone's just feeding into the intent? Sky wins, everyone else loses.

For what it's worth, I'm as curious as Orme is in this matter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 AM 

I'm still trying to figure out how making a song like the one Skycrasher posted is an attempt to gain acceptance. I mean, good lord, if that's our standard for gaining acceptance on a forum, I don't know how much farther the bar can drop. It was hardly a masterpiece, and I'm *pretty* sure he knew it(hell, maybe not =p).

"You wrote a song about us, and it even included a few jabs at its members! Obviously you're trying to fit in!!!". A slight difference between referencing familiarity with a group and trying to "fit in". Just a slight one.

Anyway, everyone has a different manner of speaking. You go into a ghetto area and see the derogatory names fly over the place, try flailing your arms about there while crying "troll" and see how far you get. The conclusion that because he used a derogatory name to refer to them he MUST be trying to get some kind of reaction is laughable, at best.

Like Bov, I'm hardly a fan of Skycrasher, but this is a pathetic attempt to try and find yourself more excuses to hate the guy. Even more laughable, even though you tried to dodge around it and backpedal:

Quote:
why is this not moderated a little?

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Orme fails in all manner of degrees on this one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:07 AM 

While I'm at it, just had to quote this:

Quote:
Maybe, like so many teenagers who came before and so many who will come after, he used "fag" as the "all-purpose put-down" and didn't expect anyone to "react" to it aside from answering the question?

Precisely. But you could even take it a step further really and look at certain pockets of our culture(particularly young people) who use (formerly)insulting words to reference people. Stuff like "Sup fuckers/bitches", "What are those hos doing?", or even the common use of the N-word when some people reference friends is an obvious sign that it's acceptable within certain groups of people.

In short, he may not have even been insulting them, but rather genuinely wondering if they made it.

Just one less thing to get our panties in a bunch about so long as we don't assume the worst. If he was trolling, he relying on that brand of idiocy to make it happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

gays ruined america

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:07 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Attachment:
lolcatfailure.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

Quote:
Aftermath

Neither Agee nor Gates made the NBA. Nonetheless, both young men were able to turn the film's success and their subsequent fame into a better life for themselves and their families. They took the money generated from the film and bought better housing. Additionally Arthur Agee, the younger of the two basketball players, launched a foundation promoting higher education for inner city youth and began the "Hoop Dreams" sportswear line in 2006. Gates has also risen above his earlier circumstances while giving back to the community as senior pastor at Living Faith Community Center in Cabrini-Green, where he works at the Kids' Club.[5]

The families of both men have experienced losses since the release of the film. On Thanksgiving morning 1994, Agee's older half-brother, DeAntonio, was gunned down at Cabrini-Green. In September 2001, Gates' older brother, Curtis, 36, was shot to death in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. Arthur's father (Bo Agee) was murdered in 2004.

When William Gates was older, he received a telephone call from Michael Jordan. Jordan was in the process of getting in shape to return to the NBA and play for the Washington Wizards. Gates was invited to a pickup game with Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and others. Gates was able to keep up with Jordan and had an impressive showing. He finally made the NBA after proving himself in that game before injuring himself before the first game of the season. William retired afterwards. But he proved he was good enough for the NBA.

Here are the steps involved in getting that information:
1. Type "hoop dreams" in google search bar
2. Click the 2nd link in the search results
3. Scroll down to "Aftermath" section
4. Read

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 AM 

The first reason for not doing that would be laziness(fairly extreme, perhaps). The second reason would be to promote general community interaction rather than solo everything out for yourself, which may or may not infer that he's trying to "gain acceptance".

Thirdly, occasionally someone who has read more on the subject will provide a more thought-provoking response. i.e.: "The two did not make it into the NBA, but you also might be surprised to hear that they did X and Y." You won't always find those little extras on Wikipedia. Doesn't have to be a simple yes or no answer, nor does that have to be the intent of the question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:23 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

Attachment:
boreme.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

oh how i lol at cats

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:40 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Whatever happened to those guys from "The Air Up There"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:16 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

One of em went on to make hits such as Apollo 13, Wild Things, and Hollow Man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:06 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Wild Things was so hot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:41 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen, I find it hard to believe you are such a dullard in reality.
You type endlessly, make no actual sense, ignore posts prior to yours, and then pat yourself on the back for your excellence.

The world cries for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:54 AM 

Seeing as I addressed everything point by point in the near-exact order they were claimed in previous posts, I'm afraid your generic unspecific "I'm right ur wrong" post holds little merit. I'd call you the real troll here, but if I'm being trolled, this is a back and forth trolling that causes me to laugh as I type. Continue!

Also if you need a helping hand making sense of my genius, I will be happy to oblige and dumb it down for you. I'm confident that I can translate with the appropriate grunts and mouth-breathing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:02 AM 
Spider Slayer

I for one look forward to your entire post translated into grunts and mouth-breathing. Please proceed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:05 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Venen - this is why you are a dullard who is not worthy of debate. You are so in love with typing, you fail to realize what you are attempting has been addressed.

On the subject of moderation.
I briefly commented that flaming normally wasn't allowed in non-flame forums. But repeated multiple times it was no big deal:
Orme wrote:
First - I wasn't really bitching about the moderation. Don't turn this post into that pointless thread
Orme wrote:
I'm not saying he should be banned. I'm not griping about the mods.
In spite of those posts, you still try to act clever (fail as expected):
Venen wrote:
Orme wrote:
Quote:why is this not moderated a little?

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Orme fails in all manner of degrees on this one.
This is why you are a ridiculous bore and dullard. 2 specific posts saying "that's not what I meant".

On the subject of "Gaining Acceptance"
When you communicate with people, you are doing 1 of the following:
1. Establishing Relationships (call it Gaining Acceptance)
2. Passing Courtesy
3. Destroying Relationships
That it, those are the 3 basic functions. By definition, anyone on these boards for more than 1-2 months who is not explicitly trolling is acting in mode #1.

Almost everyone (except you) "gets" that. Neesha, Guurna, Mira, Bovinity, etc. Neesha explains, but you are too stupid to read the post:
Neesha wrote:
I think he was asking why he'd try to fit in one minute, then be a complete douche the next. Repeatedly. Perhaps without even being aware (but how could anyone not be that unaware?). It didn't have anything to do with Hoop Dreams. But then again, I expect you to know this as well.
Bovinity counters, and Neesha further clarifies:
Neesha wrote:
"Reaction" does not necessarily mean how someone behaves after something happens directly to that person (he called me this, I reacted by calling him that). The "reaction" is his original post saying "what happened to the fags in Hoop Dreams". He could have "reacted" by saying "what ever happened to the guys in Hoop Dreams?" and this thread would have never been made. But in typical fashion, he couldn't even post like a normal human being and ask that way. Instead, he had to go the insulting route and call them fags, so from the outset, he was going into the conversation with a very negative attitude and putting out an assholish vibe.
Neesha even further clarifies about "gaining acceptance" or fitting in:
Neesha wrote:
Unlike him, I do ultimately care how I am perceived by my peers (most of ya). And while I can be a smartass and a jackass at times, and I can act like an asshole, I don't think that I am an asshole. But I honestly don't think I can say the same about him.

This Venen is why you're worthless to me
You are like that annoying guy in the meeting who simply has to say SOMETHING - even if the point had been covered ad naseum. This is why you're not worth debating - you do this on virtually every discussion. You make no effort (or simply do not have the capacity) to read what was posted before you and make semi-intelligible responses. Instead, you spew forth your psuedo-intellectual tripe and chap your hands applauding your own wit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:12 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

On a side note - beyond the pointless ramble of Venen, I am dead serious about this:

Skycrasher - help us understand your motivation.
Feel free to PM me if you want.

I only see 3 answers:
1. You like the boards, and don't mean to come across as such as douche sometimes (I've written stuff before I regretted).
2. You don't give a shit about the community and if Orme doesn't like it, he can fuck off.
3. You are completely bi-freaking-polar.

Anyhoo - that's the real motivation of this thread.
Maybe all you need are some meds :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:54 AM 

Quote:
I briefly commented that flaming normally wasn't allowed in non-flame forums. But repeated multiple times it was no big deal:

Tis you who has failed at reading posts before you post. I made sure to point out that you had tried to backpedal. You may not have been "bitching" about moderation, nor asking for a ban, but you still brought up the concept of moderating such a miniscule thing. That's what is pathetic, whether you want to moderate that a little or a lot.

Quote:
When you communicate with people, you are doing 1 of the following:
1. Establishing Relationships (call it Gaining Acceptance)
2. Passing Courtesy
3. Destroying Relationships
That it, those are the 3 basic functions. By definition, anyone on these boards for more than 1-2 months who is not explicitly trolling is acting in mode #1.

Your definition is loose at best, although you might be able to fit some of what I'm about to describe under "Passing Courtesy". If someone, for example, decides to make a joke post and wants to gauge the reaction from other people - is that specifically establishing a relationship? Even if you have no interest whatsoever in procuring even a passive friendly relationship with someone? Assuming it's an innocent somewhat silly post, it's hard to say that it's destructive either.

Either way, your definition leaves no room for people who post but have little to no desire to either establish or destroy any relationship. People that put miniscule value on (relatively)anonymous interactions on the internet would be hard-pressed to find themselves a place to be defined there. Trolls might qualify as more "destructive" and hostile, but there are others still who post completely random shit(you'll see this a lot from children on the WoW boards) with no mal intent.

Already covered the quotes you provided 3-4 posts up, particularly with regard to seeking "reaction". Again, very little evidence that he was even seeking a reaction unless you're going to suggest that the (other)F-word is the "obvious" smoking gun that indicates he's trolling.

"Just cuz it sounds bad ok?" doesn't quite make it a troll, I'm afraid.

The bottom line is that you whined over a post that may have been a troll, or may not have been. Trolls would never be successful if idiots like you would stop assuming the worst and simply provide a sincere response to his question. Doesn't that pretty much kill two birds with one stone?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:08 PM 

Just to add: For most, but not all people, time invested with a certain group of people might indicate that they're trying to "establish relationships" or further their association with that group. Again, may or may not be the case. You first have to establish intent.

Imagine a forum full of scientists all working towards their own individual goals(a few perhaps associated with one another in the same group). Undoubtedly quite a few will form friendships and try to establish a community presence there. But there will always be a few who are simply there to work towards their own ends, and also have no bad intent towards the others. Someone posts up their theories and seeks advice or the thoughts of others in order to further their goals - that's not necessarily attempting to establish a relationship nor gain acceptance, that's simply an individual's effort to further his own wants/goals. If the same guy suddenly acts cruel to all of them, it's not like he lost anything - he never had a relationship with anyone there, nor did he seek one. What'd he destroy or lose that he wanted, and where's the contradiction?

It's a question of, "Does this person give a damn?". Just because you place a high value on conversations here doesn't mean everyone else does. And you have no way of knowing if they do unless you're a psychic. If so, please enlighten everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:14 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Quote:
The bottom line is that you whined over a post that may have been a troll, or may not have been. Trolls would never be successful if idiots like you would stop assuming the worst and simply provide a sincere response to his question.

Kind of like how you're doing right now in response to Orme's post?

Stop trying to be clever, it's not working.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:28 PM 

Quote:
Kind of like how you're doing right now in response to Orme's post?

Stop trying to be clever, it's not working.

In what sense? I might be getting trolled, but I think Orme is genuinely a moron. There's also a slight difference between my trying to explain why Orme probably shouldn't be screaming troll at the slightest hint and Orme's original post, which started the thread crying about something that may or may not have been a troll. I guess if Orme's posts bothered me to the same degree, I might make a new thread fussing over it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:28 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

God, you wrote a lot. I hope somebody reads it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:43 PM 

Enjoyed every second of it. First post took about 10 mins second post I went to finish lunch came back took bout 5 mins. If it's one thing I can safely say I take away from the MMORPG world it's the ability to type.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:53 PM 
I schooled the old school.
I schooled the old school.

Not that I'm taking sides on this one, but that's a hell of a copout after you wrote that long condescending post on "how to be nice to people."

Offline Profile