Camping Orc 1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:41 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!

EQ1: Tyral
WoW: Tyrak
Tarot wrote:
Conversely you can always go vegan...which I would if I wasn't so damned lazy. Plus I could never give up dairy.

I have a friend who is vegan, and let me tell you, it's a pain in the ass. His lifestyle choice doesn't just affect him, it affects the entire circle of friends. Most of my friends are at my place 2-3 nights a week, engaging in whatever geek activity we're up for that night. Want to order pizza? Nope, he can't eat it. Steakhouse? Not gonna work. My own fridge and cabinets just never seem to have anything appropriate for him.

Finally I told him to just stop by the store anytime he's coming over and buy a bag of vegetables. Between that and white rice (which we have plenty of) at least he's got something to eat. But let me tell you, sometimes it gets pretty desperate if it's late at night and we've been playing D&D for 4 hours and we're hungry. Circle K doesn't have a whole lot of vegan-friendly foods. And when the rest of us are chowing down on whatever meat-laden snack we've chosen, you can see him almost falter. It's kind of funny, actually. But I'm cruel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:03 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
I'm going out for BBQ.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Tyral wrote:
I have a friend who is vegan, and let me tell you, it's a pain in the ass. His lifestyle choice doesn't just affect him, it affects the entire circle of friends. Most of my friends are at my place 2-3 nights a week, engaging in whatever geek activity we're up for that night. Want to order pizza? Nope, he can't eat it. Steakhouse? Not gonna work. My own fridge and cabinets just never seem to have anything appropriate for him..

Fuck that noise. Order a pizza and give him a carrot. Go to the steakhouse and let him sit in the car. If yer going to adopt an extreme lifestyle, you prepare things so as not to interfere with the lifestyles of others. Unless, of course, you need attention and want to be a martyr.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:35 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Take'em to Mortons: The Steakhouse

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:37 PM 

Bzalthek wrote:
Fuck that noise. Order a pizza and give him a carrot. Go to the steakhouse and let him sit in the car. If yer going to adopt an extreme lifestyle, you prepare things so as not to interfere with the lifestyles of others. Unless, of course, you need attention and want to be a martyr.

Well, his IS my friend, so me telling him to go fuck himself isn't really that cool. I could tell him he'll have to fend for himself, and I'm sure he'd understand, but I'd rather see if we can find him something that's easy and still fits into his dietary needs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 AM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:28 PM 

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
that is funny Rugen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:41 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Tyral wrote:
Bzalthek wrote:

Well, his IS my friend, so me telling him to go fuck himself isn't really that cool. I could tell him he'll have to fend for himself, and I'm sure he'd understand, but I'd rather see if we can find him something that's easy and still fits into his dietary needs.
You need to watch the Seinfeld episode about how to break up with a friend :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
that is funny Rugen

UK sketch show called "Man Stroke Woman" (with Nick Frost). It has some really, really funny bits. That clip came to mind while I was reading this thread so thought I'd toss it in there. You can see a bunch of others on youtube, if you so wish. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 PM 

Interesting.

http://petakillsanimals.com/

Wonder if that's legit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:11 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
joxur wrote:
Interesting.

http://petakillsanimals.com/

Wonder if that's legit.

I know it's a fact that they killed most of the animals surrendered to their care, yes. They had a higher kill rate than any shelter they screamed about.

Additionally PETA doesn't want *anyone* keeping pets. Something that many people who like PETA and are animal lovers seem to be completely ignorant of.

Here's the 'smoking gun' the walk in freezer shit: http://petakillsanimals.com/Trial.cfm

And here's some tasty hypocrisy:

PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

Quote:
"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
--Glamour, January 1990

She needs HER life to fight for animals. She's better than you. PETA's stance otherwise? Fuck you, die.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Well, now they can actually synthesize insulin, rather than use recombinant DNA on pig insulin, heh.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:05 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Vanamar wrote:
Well, now they can actually synthesize insulin, rather than use recombinant DNA on pig insulin, heh.

She's one of the very few people who can't use synthetics (or so she claimed a few years ago when confronted on Penn and Teller's Bullshit). So in order for her to have insulin, sheep are dying.

And of course no insulin dependent diabetic would be alive today without animal research. Neither would MANY of us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 PM 

I'm not sure why it's such a surprise that they kill animals. Any large animal shelter pretty much has no option other to, unless they want to see them suffer in misery. It's part of the burden that they pick up when they decide to start sheltering animals, and I doubt that it's a fun one. But, it's better than letting animals rot on the side of the road. There are simply too many animals(especially stray cats, and some dogs) with high reproduction rates, and not enough people to care for them and adopt them. It's either put them down, or throw them out the window and let them die(I would imagine in addition to that, a lot of cities probably have ordinances against letting so many animals roam free... imagine all the stray animals that would be running about the cities, heh).

Never really understood what the big deal was about that... Shelters kill animals, omg!

Frankly, 90 percent seems a bit low to me considering how few people are adopting compared to animal reproduction rates.

As for the insulin thing, I'd be the first to agree that their PR job is a horrific stain on the organization and it always continues to be... but, I would imagine the majority of the organization would probably tell you that human life is significantly more important than any animal life, and if it comes to a choice between you or them, the answer is us. Far as I know, they are not seeking equal rights, just significantly better rights(and hell, in some cases I'll admit, near-equal).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:27 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Venen, it's complete and utter hypocrisy that they say animals should never be killed, but they do it themselves.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:33 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Venen I'd suggest you go read some of the links posted, because you clearly haven't.

The shelters PETA protests against? 70% SAVED rate. So your assumption that a 90% kill rate is reasonable, is really...really flawed.

There are also numerous 'no kill' shelters in operation. We adopted one of our dogs with serious behavioral problems from one. Many of the dogs cannot be placed, and will live out their lives there. They're pretty happy. One may argue that the space might be better used for dogs which can be placed...but they're doing what they can.

Go look up the shelter in Utah that took in the Michael Vick dogs that were deemed to be impossible to save. They've saved them...they've gotten many to the point where they're adoptable.

PETA is a bunch of hypocritical whackjobs. I care deeply about animals too, considering how much of my income goes to animals heh. But I wouldn't piss on PETA if they were on fire.

They're THAT bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:38 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Best Friends

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 PM 

Quote:
There are also numerous 'no kill' shelters in operation.

That's why I specifically said "large" shelters. Most of them are downright tiny by comparison from what I've read. It's easy to say you've saved 100 percent of all 2000 animals. A little harder to do that with millions.

I'm not sure that I buy the 70 percent saved rate figures, I would not be shocked at all if those numbers were inflated by the numbers that they, themselves put out.

My point is more or less that it seems a bit silly to title something "PETA KILLS ANIMALS!" when that's what significant shelters all around the country do.

I have not heard PETA say outright that they should "NEVER" be killed. Certainly generalized statements, but not "never". They, along with everyone else, know that animals have to be killed due to sheer numbers. If you can cite me a link where they actually said that, I'll retract that, but I haven't seen it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:32 PM 

A little more reason I doubt those "70 percent saved" figures:

http://www.americanhumane.org/about-us/ ... nasia.html

(Source is National Council on Pet Population and Study)

Quote:
In 1997 roughly 64% of the total number of animals that entered shelters were euthanized -- approximately 2.7 million animals in just these 1,000 shelters.These animals may have been put down due to overcrowding, but may have been sick, aggressive, injured, or suffered something else.

You can extrapolate from that a bit, perhaps. I doubt things have changed so drastically in 10 years. I will concede that PETA, assuming that those numbers are large enough to impact which they probably are - will alter that a bit given that they are a significant enough portion of the shelters in the US. But, even with that, reaching 64%(or, assuming 36% saved... some may not have been adopted though later on) is a pretty large leap, even to 70 percent saved.

In addition:

Quote:
Number of cats and dogs entering shelters each year:
6-8 million (HSUS estimate)

Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year:
3-4 million (HSUS estimate)

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecti ... mates.html

Plus, just looking at the PETA website, it looks like they're killing only a small fraction of those: 20k in 10 years? Cmon now =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 PM 

Bleh, not the PETA website as the source, but rather the PETA kills website.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

[quote="Venen]My point is more or less that it seems a bit silly to title something "PETA KILLS ANIMALS!" when that's what significant shelters all around the country do. [/quote]

But PETA is the one that supports firebombing buildings that kill animals. Shelters don't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Venen wrote:
Bleh, not the PETA website as the source, but rather the PETA kills website.

I've seen those figures elsewhere though, and it's specifically the shelter that PETA was targeting. Elsewhere, IIRC on Bullshit's episode on it maybe...they covered the fact that they pretty much drove one shelter director into so much stress with their crap, the guy had a heart attack (they were, again iirc, picketing his home as well and scaring the shit out of his kids).

PETA does extremely douchebaggy stuff. I've posted 'YOUR MOMMY'S A MURDERER' on this board more than once. It's a horrific comic PETA printed up and gave to *children* outside the Nutcracker in NYC (IF they thought the kid's mom or the kid was wearing any fur product, including rabbit. They hit ppl w/ faux fur. PETA hates faux fur too, btw.)

They've also had billboards comparing chicken ranches to the holocaust.

Years ago I saw them on one of the now defunct talk shows (Sally? I forget) where people had been attacked by sharks in this town and suffered terrible injuries, and some deaths due to a freak attack how they had erected billboards BLAMING THE VICTIMS. Even though the victims had obviously done nothing wrong, it was a freak attack.

PETA routinely does this shit because they believe (and sadly in their movement they're right) there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Additionally many 'stars' are morons and don't realize just what the fuck PETA is.

Not everyone is a fucking moron though. There have been many celebs who've supported good groups (such as Doris Day, Tippy Hendron) who aren't fucking retards.

I'm not against 'animal rights'. I'm actually for it. I'm a parrot owner and believe me...I'm ALL for regulations regarding exotics. Most people shouldn't be allowed to keep a parrot. Those who do, should be required to meet very specific standards. I'm all for more regulation, and even some potential bans if people can't get their shit together. I'd rather see NO ONE privately own African Greys than to see them widely abused by morons...if that were the only options.

I also believe in animal testing, but humanely. I would never buy 'cosmetics' tested on animals. There's simply no need. And if it were a choice, I'd go without (though that's not necessary).

I hate primate research, but it is a sad fucking necessity. It should only be undertaken with care, and consideration for their needs whenever possible. We can be humane and kind, while we do what is needed for the benefit of people.

Just as I eat meat but there's no reason to be cruel to the animals before we eat them, or to make their death any harder than necessary.

PETA? Bunch of fucking whackjobs who believe no one should own pets. All animals should be 'free'. No one should eat meat. And animals should come before people.

Sorry, that's just stupid. So stupid that they can't even follow it themselves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 PM 

Tarot wrote:
I've seen those figures elsewhere though, and it's specifically the shelter that PETA was targeting. Elsewhere, IIRC on Bullshit's episode on it maybe...they covered the fact that they pretty much drove one shelter director into so much stress with their crap, the guy had a heart attack (they were, again iirc, picketing his home as well and scaring the shit out of his kids).

I've seen that episode about half a dozen times, and yeah, they not only gave the poor guy a heart attack (for doing essentially the same thing they do: trying to take on abandoned animals and humanely euthanizing animals that can't be adopted out), but they were threatening his life too.

Not to mention these scumbags support eco-terrorists and shit. They've contributed to the defense of a number of high-profile terrorists. Just ridiculous.

Offline Profile