It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RANT: George Broussard
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Seriously George, you could have come out with 5 games by now.

This perpetual perfectionism you've got going is resulting in a whole lot of nothing. Time to get your poop in a group and get this out to the public.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:17 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
duke 3d wasn't even a very good game, it was popular because it was new and because duke was edgy.

i'm surprised that people expect forever to be anything more than humor that appeals to 15 year olds on an average fps

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:45 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Yeah, but the whole thing of it is is that they're trying to make this leading edge eye candy.

Concerning the game play:
Quote:
In an interview with 1UP.com on June 5, 2008, Jason Hall, host of The Jace Hall Show spoke of his exclusive premiere episode feature on Duke Nukem Forever and his hands-on play experience with the game which he described as "amazing", suggesting it would be worth the wait.

Sounds promising, if they only get it done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
duke 3d wasn't even a very good game, it was popular because it was new and because duke was edgy.
Now why you gotta go and post something retarded like that. You could say it wasn't the best FPS ever, or even at the time of it's launch (you'd be wrong on the latter), but to say it "isn't a very good game"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
I enjoyed Rise of the Triad much more than Duke Nukem 3d.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Considering his track record I wouldn't consider him much of a "perfectionist"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:28 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

joxur wrote:
Quote:
Now why you gotta go and post something retarded like that. You could say it wasn't the best FPS ever, or even at the time of it's launch (you'd be wrong on the latter), but to say it "isn't a very good game"?

it might have been the best fps available in 1995 (or whenever, but heretic was better), and i loved the hell out of it when i played it, but that's because i was 15 years old and right in their target wheelhouse for stupid edgy humor that's really not funny.

but as far as game mechanics it's really pretty average for mid-90s shooters, definitely not anything that would stand out from the pack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:12 AM 

It was most definitely the best FPS available until Quake came out(IMO it outdid Quake in some areas).

Basic gameplay mechanics(that is, shooting from a first-person perspective with a variety of weaponry and different games having different versions of physics) aren't going to differ a whole shitload when it comes to FPS's, especially back then.

Custom maps REALLY made the game shine, and the custom map utility was VERY user-friendly and anyone with half a brain cell could whip up a simple map in a matter of minutes. People really went nuts on the creativity as well, I saw a ton of great innovative maps to play around with.

Sure the humor wasn't all that good, but that had nothing to do with gameplay. It took a while to master the game fully, especially online. Dodging RPGs and aiming your RPG in sync with your opponent was made into an art with that game. Gimpier weapons like the shotgun could be very deadly in the hands of a good player.

All in all a great game, especially for its time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:27 AM 
I schooled the old school.

I miss the side scrolling Duke Nukem :(. THAT I played for hours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:45 AM 

D3d would be a top 10 FPS of all time on just about everyone's list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:13 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

what

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:15 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

what i mean is i could name ten fps from the current decade and maybe current console generation that are heads and shoulders better

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The one I'm really waiting for is Natural Selection 2.

I got turned off the whole Quake/Counterstrike franchise due to the insane amount of bunny hopping. It's even infested WoW PvP.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Rise of the Triad was leaps and bounds better than Duke 3D.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 PM 

The guns were way overpowered in Rise of the Triad..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:00 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Givin Wetwillies wrote:
Rise of the Triad was leaps and bounds better than Duke 3D.

Agreed. ROTT kicked major ass. Definitely in my top 5 list of FPS games. I played Duke Nukem but it was never as good the others that left more lasting impressions and were more creative with gameplay and mechanics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:29 PM 

For me ROTT's weapons honestly just seemed more about flash than substance. I agree with Joxur's take that they were often overpowered.

As far as I remember ROTT also didn't come with an easy-to-use map editor, either. Major bummer for anyone who wanted to experience seriously creative maps and massively differing gameplay(Even the gimpy maps had a little hilarity... such as small enclosed spaces with nothing but RPGs).

Little quirks which weren't necessarily new but I'm not sure if ROTT had all of these mechanics: blasting through certain walls, a variety of different types of hidden entrances, a surprisingly large assortment of sprites(nice for map editing), and fairly interactive maps for the time. Setting explosives in certain areas, for example, opened up new areas. Workable gizmos like elevators etc I believe were also in. This wasn't all showstopping at the time, but the whole package seemed a little ahead of its time.

Any other recommendations for better FPS's in 1996 besides ROTT btw, randy? =p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Randy's taking issue with the "top 10 FPSs of all time" comment that Joxur made.

ROTT was a great update to FPSs. Doom was a lot of fun, but ROTT took it to another level.

Another one that would be on my Top 10 of all time list would be Serious Sam 2. The fun factor of that game is still off the chart.

:) :) :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:54 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

around that time probably the best two FPS games were Quake and Heretic, later was Goldeneye, Tribes, Hexen (but not 2) and Dark Forces 2

and of course everyone's mentioned ROTT which i had a lot of fun with

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:11 PM 
I am a Spaceman

Sarissa wrote:
The one I'm really waiting for is Natural Selection 2.

I got turned off the whole Quake/Counterstrike franchise due to the insane amount of bunny hopping. It's even infested WoW PvP.

Did you ever play the original Natural Selection? Bunny hopping was one of the most important skills for aliens. Still the best multiplayer fps since the original Tribes, though.

Also, Binkee said it best in the first post: "humor that appeals to 15 year olds on an average fps." Duke Nukem Forever has literally nothing going for it that could make it interesting. Single player first person shooters as a whole are a joke, nowadays. With the sole exception of BioShock, no recent fps has been worth playing outside of multiplayer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:14 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Well D3D came out at the beginning of 96, Heretic had already been out a while, Hexen was out when Duke came out, and Tribes didn't come out until the end of 98.

So it all depends on what you call for their time, Quake came out about 6 months after Duke, so for a few months it had it's king status.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yeah I played it for a couple years. The skulks still needed to jump to hit the head, but I was referring to the mod switch that made players take more damage in the air. I think they eventually slowed movement in the air as well. It was a reaction to the game being one huge jumping circus because it negated about half the skulks damage IIRC.

Most other FPS did nothing but say lolhopz its in the game mechanics.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 PM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Aliens vs Predator 1 and 2 are my favorite FPS multiplayer games of all time. The second one moreso due to some heavy balance issues that were corrected across the board. Predators disc wasn't as powerful as it was in the first one.

For single player FPS \fun back then, I'll give a nod to Shogo, Descent I and II and Blood II.

Complete and total shit award easily goes to Witchaven 1 and 2.

I also more than agree that recent FPS games are lacking. Bioshock can hang of course without being overshadowed by System Shock 2. CoD4 finally got it right by getting away from boring ass World War 1 and 2 bullshit. The modernized Wolf 3D wasn't a bad multiplayer game, and I hear there is another one soon.

Doom 3 was complete shit. As was Quake 4. I honestly do not expect much from Duke Nukem Forever. I'm more interested in seeing how the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. expansion comes along.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Ah yeah, forgot about the AvP games. I enjoyed the variety in that (much in the same way as Starcraft- each race had its own unique weapons and tactics). Gameplay was also a lot of fun with the wallcrawling, going stealth, and so on.

I have been and continue to be a big fan of the Battlefield franchise, especially BF 2142. I play this one about every other day online and have a blast with it.

Medal of Honor was also one of the greats back in the day. When I first played the Omaha Beach scenario in that, I was shocked and awed. It was one hell of a fun experience. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I didn't even finish doom3. totally lost interest

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:28 AM 

I differ, I suppose. Doom 3 was one of the few FPS games that I actually finished. I rather enjoyed it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:15 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Doom 3 just became so damn predictable and repetitive. Very quickly.

Offline Profile