PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 PM 
WoW Guru
WoW Guru

Quote:
Uncle Orson Reviews Everything
J.K. Rowling, Lexicon and Oz
by Orson Scott Card

April 24, 2008
Can you believe that J.K. Rowling is suing a small publisher because she claims their 10,000-copy edition of The Harry Potter Lexicon, a book about Rowling's hugely successful novel series, is just a "rearrangement" of her own material.

Rowling "feels like her words were stolen," said lawyer Dan Shallman.

Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling.

A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorized extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world.

This paragraph lists only the most prominent similarities between Ender's Game and the Harry Potter series. My book was published in England many years before Rowling began writing about Harry Potter. Rowling was known to be reading widely in speculative fiction during the era after the publication of my book.

I can get on the stand and cry, too, Ms. Rowling, and talk about feeling "personally violated."

The difference between us is that I actually make enough money from Ender's Game to be content, without having to try to punish other people whose creativity might have been inspired by something I wrote.

Mine is not the only work that one can charge Rowling "borrowed" from. Check out this piece from a fan site, pointing out links between Harry Potter and other previous works: http://www.geocities.com/versetrue/rowling.htm. And don't forget the lawsuit by Nancy K. Stouffer, the author of a book entitled The Legend of Rah and the Muggles, whose hero was named "Larry Potter."

At that time, Rowling's lawyers called Stouffer's claim "frivolous."

It's true that we writers borrow words from each other ? but we're supposed to admit it and not pretend we're original when we're not. I took the word ansible from Ursula K. LeGuin, and have always said so. Rowling, however, denies everything.

If Steven Vander Ark, the author of Lexicon, had written fiction that he claimed was original, when it was actually a rearrangement of ideas taken from the Harry Potter books, then she'd have a case.

But Lexicon is intended only as a reference book for people who have already paid for their copies of Rowling's books. Even though the book is not scholarly, it certainly falls within the realm of scholarly comment.

Rowling's hypocrisy is so thick I can hardly breathe: Prior to the publication of each novel, there were books about them that were no more intrusive than Lexicon. I contributed to one of them, and there was no complaint about it from Rowling or her publishers because they knew perfectly well that these fan/scholar ancillary publications were great publicity and actually boosted sales.

But now the Harry Potter series is over, and Rowling claims that her "creative work" is being "decimated."

Of course, she doesn't claim that it's the Lexicon that is harming her "creative work" (who's she borrowing from this time?); it's the lawsuit itself! And since she chose to bring the suit, whose fault is it? If she had left Vander Ark alone to publish his little book and make his little bit of money, she wouldn't be distracted from her next novel.

But no, Rowling claims Vander Ark's book "constitutes wholesale theft of 17 years of my hard work."

Seventeen years? What a crock. Apparently she includes in that total the timeframe in which she was reading ? and borrowing from ? the work of other writers.

On the stand, though, Rowling's chief complaint seems to be that she would do a better job of annotating and encyclopedizing her own series.

So what?

Nothing prevents her from doing exactly that ? annotating and explaining her own novels. Do you think that if there were a Harry Potter Annotated by the Author, Vander Ark's book would interfere with her sales in any way?

This frivolous lawsuit puts at serious risk the entire tradition of commentary on fiction. Any student writing a paper about the Harry Potter books, any scholarly treatise about it, will certainly do everything she's complaining about.

Once you publish fiction, Ms. Rowling, anybody is free to write about it, to comment on it, and to quote liberally from it, as long as the source is cited.

Here's the irony: Vander Ark had the material for this book on his website for years, and Rowling is quoted as saying that when she needed to look up some 'fact" from her earlier books, she would sometimes "sneak into an Internet cafe while out writing and check a fact rather than go into a bookshop and buy a copy of Harry Potter."

In other words, she already had made personal use of Vander Ark's work and found it valuable. Even if it has shortcomings, she found it useful.

That means that Vander Ark created something original and useful ? he added value to the product. If Rowling wants to claim that it interferes with her creativity now, she should have made that complaint back when she was using it ? and giving Vander Ark an award for his website back in 2004.

Now, of course, she regrets "bitterly" having given the award.

You know what I think is going on?

Rowling has nowhere to go and nothing to do now that the Harry Potter series is over. After all her literary borrowing, she shot her wad and she's flailing about trying to come up with something to do that means anything.

Moreover, she is desperate for literary respectability. Even though she made more money than the queen or Oprah Winfrey in some years, she had to see her books pushed off the bestseller lists and consigned to a special "children's book" list. Litterateurs sneer at her work as a kind of subliterature, not really worth discussing.

It makes her insane. The money wasn't enough. She wants to be treated with respect.

At the same time, she's also surrounded by people whose primary function is to suck up to her. No doubt some of them were saying to her, "It's wrong for these other people to be exploiting what you created to make money for themselves."

She let herself be talked into being outraged over a perfectly normal publishing activity, one that she had actually made use of herself during its web incarnation.

Now she is suing somebody who has devoted years to promoting her work and making no money from his efforts ? which actually helped her make some of her bazillions of dollars.

Talent does not excuse Rowling's ingratitude, her vanity, her greed, her bullying of the little guy, and her pathetic claims of emotional distress.

I fully expect that the outcome of this lawsuit will be:

1. Publication of Lexicon will go on without any problem or prejudice, because it clearly falls within the copyright law's provision for scholarly work, commentary and review.

2. Rowling will be forced to pay Steven Vander Ark's legal fees, since her suit was utterly without merit from the start.

3. People who hear about this suit will have a sour taste in their mouth about Rowling from now on. Her Cinderella story once charmed us. Her greedy evil-witch behavior now disgusts us. And her next book will be perceived as the work of that evil witch.

It's like her stupid, self-serving claim that Dumbledore was gay. She wants credit for being very up-to-date and politically correct ? but she didn't have the guts to put that supposed "fact" into the actual novels, knowing that it might hurt sales.

What a pretentious, puffed-up coward. When I have a gay character in my fiction, I say so right in the book. I don’t wait until after it has had all its initial sales to mention it.

Rowling has now shown herself to lack a brain, a heart and courage. Clearly, she needs to visit Oz.

This has to be one of the most scathing articles from one author about another in a very long time.

Source

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

lol, that's awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
Quote:
3. People who hear about this suit will have a sour taste in their mouth about Rowling from now on. Her Cinderella story once charmed us. Her greedy evil-witch behavior now disgusts us. And her next book will be perceived as the work of that evil witch.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. When I first heard the story and her comment about "stifling her creative blah blah blah"... All I could think of was "drama whore."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 AM 
Lois Lane!

I am a huge fan of OSC...wow, he's pissed. :p

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:28 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Man, Card is a good writer but a total douche. I did like this, though:
Quote:
It's like her stupid, self-serving claim that Dumbledore was gay. She wants credit for being very up-to-date and politically correct ? but she didn't have the guts to put that supposed "fact" into the actual novels, knowing that it might hurt sales.

What a pretentious, puffed-up coward. When I have a gay character in my fiction, I say so right in the book. I don't wait until after it has had all its initial sales to mention it.

It bugged the shit out of me that Rowling wouldn't actually write Dumbledore's gayness into the Deathly Hallows. At that point, she had so many fans on lock that the sales were going to be record-breaking regardless, plus she was already taking flak from the fundies over the whole witchcraft thing anyway. I think there need to be more stories with strong and prominent gay characters, but as it is it's just too easy for people to utterly ignore this aspect of the series (which is a shame considering how many people she could've reached).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

I never quite understood why Harry Potter was so popular in the adult world. To me the writing style seemed mediocre at best. The story was always utterly predictable, boring, and uninspiring. The creativity was there to some degree in character design, but never really struck me as anything more creative than taking a classic children's book character and extending it slightly to make you think there was something more there.

They're good children/teenage-level books, but I'd much prefer to read something by someone with a bit more talent.

Color me incredibly shocked by these recent developments, and wake me up for the next stampede by the masses to the bookstore for literature-lite.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:39 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
In a country where probably only 30% of the adult population read a book last year, harry potter was great for people to get out there and read something - anything

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:
I never quite understood why Harry Potter was so popular in the adult world. To me the writing style seemed mediocre at best. The story was always utterly predictable, boring, and uninspiring. The creativity was there to some degree in character design, but never really struck me as anything more creative than taking a classic children's book character and extending it slightly to make you think there was something more there.

They're good children/teenage-level books, but I'd much prefer to read something by someone with a bit more talent.

Color me incredibly shocked by these recent developments, and wake me up for the next stampede by the masses to the bookstore for literature-lite.

How would you know the mediocre writing style or the predictable, boring, and uninspiring story unless you read the books yourself? If you read the books, then you just answered your own question as to why the books were/are so popular. Similar to how not everyone wants to only watch Oscar-worthy movies, not everyone wants to read strictly Pulitzer Prize-winning prose. I think the story matured quite nicely with each book and certainly wouldn't consider it a "children's series" when it was all said and done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
Card has a point here, but he's still a douche. This is the guy who thought telling gay people to marry someone of the opposite sex and have it be just in name would really amount to a solution to the ban on gay marriage, and he brought that idea across with the same pedantic disdain he shows here. The sheer single-minded condescension of it all makes it unpleasant to read him, even when he's right.

(Pot/kettle accusation coming in 3....2....1.... :lol: )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:37 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
noojens wrote:
Quote:

What a pretentious, puffed-up coward. When I have a gay character in my fiction, I say so right in the book. I don't wait until after it has had all its initial sales to mention it.

It bugged the shit out of me that Rowling wouldn't actually write Dumbledore's gayness into the Deathly Hallows. At that point, she had so many fans on lock that the sales were going to be record-breaking regardless, plus she was already taking flak from the fundies over the whole witchcraft thing anyway. I think there need to be more stories with strong and prominent gay characters, but as it is it's just too easy for people to utterly ignore this aspect of the series (which is a shame considering how many people she could've reached).

Why should it have been in the books?

It had nothing to do with Dumbledore's sex/love life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:58 PM 
Do you smell that?

I don't care about the Harry Potter series or J.K Rowling or anyone involved with the books. I've never read any of her work.

But even considering I have no loyalty or disloyalty to the author or the series, I agree with Card on pretty much all accounts. He does come off as a raving prick at times, but his points are valid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Lou wrote:
noojens wrote:
Quote:

Why should it have been in the books?

It had nothing to do with Dumbledore's sex/love life.

Actually it was a plot point, and she expounded at great length OUTSIDE the series on how IMPORTANT an issue it was for Dumbledore, because it explained quite a bit about his relationship with another wizard in his teen years (Grimvald [sp?]) which shaped everything about what and who Dumbledore was.

He shared ideas and ideals with this guy. Their fight killed Dumbledore's sister. It led to his estrangement with his brother. AND it forced Dumbledore to be terrified of ever holding real power. It was the reason he refused to become Minister of Magic. He believed (and probably correctly so) that even with the best of intentions, he was a person who should never hold power. Because with the best of intentions, he'd abuse it for the greater good.

Anyway the fact that he was gay and in love with G--- explains a lot. That love blinded him to the faults of G--- which led to everything. That love is also why Dumbledore didn't fight against G until really bad shit had happened. Remember Krum (the Quidditch player who briefly dates Herimone) explains the impact of G-- when Luna and her dad are wearing his symbols.

The reaction he has and the history we're told makes him sound pretty much like Hitler and the Nazis.

Anyway given that it was such an issue, as Rowling gets into, it's information that would have explained in greater depth the motivations of the character of Dumbledore. If it didn't matter...then it would have been mentioned as an aside.

Such as the character of Minerva MacGonnagal. I always (personally) thought of her as a lesbian. Her character SEEMS like one to me. She's devoted to Dumbledore, and loves him...adores him, but she's so very very much spinster aunt who actually likes women to me, that I've always assumed it of her.

So if someone had asked why she didn't have a hubby and she had said 'well I always envisioned that character as blah blah blah' we'd then get more depth to the character, but it's unimportant.

She could have been the mother of 22 kids and a widow. It had no bearing and knowing one way or another changes NOTHING. We don't know the sexuality of most characters because it simply doesn't matter to the story.

As far as Card goes, he's never been shy about blasting stuff. He's also an amazing speaker. After hearing his audio rants years ago I thought 'here's a guy who could run a cult or religion' no shit.

But as an aside I think his issues with the gayness of Dumbledore has more to do with his own personal comments on homosexuality and the business that cost him, than anything else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:05 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Card is a faggot who sucks and J.K. Rowling just sucks.

There.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

EQ1: Sarissa Candyangel
WoW: Sarix
People are like that with their good friends as well. She likely put forth the idea for publicity anyway; I doubt it was in her mind before superfans pieced the idea together.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 AM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Quote:

There.

0/10. You should try to read Ender's Game and then come back here and try to say he sucks. Even in jest, it's poor trolling because it's such a badass book.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:43 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I remember Ender's Game being on the Commandant of the Marine Corps reading list when I was in the USMC. I thought that was strange, then I read it and discovered why it was on there. Good book. Didn't really care much for the stuff after it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 AM 
Bridge Dweller

Neesha the Necro wrote:
Quote:

There.

0/10. You should try to read Ender's Game and then come back here and try to say he sucks. Even in jest, it's poor trolling because it's such a badass book.

I've tried to read it but I don't like sci-fi. Shrug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 AM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

EQ1: Daas
WoW: Vuloth
EQ2: Daas
Crowde Control wrote:
Good book. Didn't really care much for the stuff after it though.

ditto

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:21 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Tranthas
WoW: Niali
I liked Ender's Game. I don't like Card.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Enders Game was great, the stuff after it was bleh.

Good rant though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:15 PM 

I liked Bean's storyline better, pesonally..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:08 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I did too, but Ender's Game is a classic. I don't know that Bean's story will be. I doubt it will actually. 100 years from now, Ender's Game will still be read though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

Ender's Game is a great read and, as Tarot said, will be around for a long time. Bean's story is good, but not as stand-alone as EG.

I also really loved Speaker for the Dead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:38 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

Ender's Game should be required reading in High School. Anything beyond that couldn't hold my attention. Card is right on most of his points against Rowling. I (shamefully) enjoyed the H.P. series, but I detest Rowling as an author.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:50 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Dumbledore is gay?

Fucking faggot.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:05 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

What does the guy being a douche has to do with anything?

If Hitler says the sky is blue, it's still blue.

YES... I've been dying to get a Hitler reference in!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:26 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/0 ... pstoryview

So she won her copyright dispute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

Heh, what a cunt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:13 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

I'm really surprised she won. And I don't think she should have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:20 PM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
What a greedy bitch, I'll finish reading the series at the library. =\

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:50 PM 
I schooled the old school.

Her reasons in an interview I heard on NPR seemed reasonable to me, but I have to admit I haven't put a lot of thought into it.

There is a LOT of Harry Potter stuff she's not pursued, you know. In this particular case she didn't like it because it contributed nothing new. It was not analysis or new thought on the series. It was not new stories based on the series (allthough I bet she would think about going for those, too). It was nearly cut and paste stuff from her books, with no added thought.

At least the way she described it this morning during my shower, it seemed reasonable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:09 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
It's a lexicon, it's not supposed to contain original material or thought, and is supposed to be permitted. Personally, I think she's a hypocrite and pretty much agree with Card's take on the issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
Never read the books. Will watch the movies. Why, you ask? The movie is done in two hours... then I can go take a nap.

BTW this was a paraphrased joke from Jim Gaffigan, who is pretty darn funny as a stand up. I will now go back to reading Paradise Lost by Milto.... err, I mean trying to read Paradise Lost and will just end up reading all the footnotes at the bottom of every damn page since that book is a hard read :study:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:12 AM 

Quote:
What a greedy bitch

BTW.... she won $7,000 in damages. For someone who is a billionaire, that's pocket change. Your comment is off-base. She certainly didn't do it for money.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:40 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Wrong.

She's a greedy bitch because she's cock blocking this dude who wanted to publish an encyclopedia of Harry Potter, just as his website essentially was. He was good enough to help out when it was just a website, but when he got to a place where he might actually sell a few books that's where greedy bitch mode came on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

I.E. When he decided to cash in.

The case would have fallen flat if the writer had contributed something to the work that could be labelled as his own intellectual property. Though being in to Harry Potter is punishment enough.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:47 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

He'd already done the work, books get published about other people's ideas/material all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:13 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Yes, and from this knowledge one can infer that his book lacked something that the others did not.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 AM 

Quote:
He'd already done the work, books get published about other people's ideas/material all the time.

The key word is *about*. His book, apparently according to the courts, wasn't *about* her work; it simply *was* her work. There were apparently large sections of his encyclopedia that were simply quotes of the books, for example. Let me say, though, that I haven't read the books or the encyclopedia in question, so I'm only going by my impression of the news story I heard on the radio.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:47 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

To quote Mr. Card. "But Lexicon is intended only as a reference book for people who have already paid for their copies of Rowling's books. Even though the book is not scholarly, it certainly falls within the realm of scholarly comment."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:31 AM 

Are there other examples of people creating such a lexicon without getting permission from the original authors first?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:33 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

I'd have to go looking, but I'm fairly sure you see "Unauthorized Guide to X" types of things floating around all the time.

Maybe I'll look through the slew of Tolkien encyclopedias and lexicons we have at the library here to see if all of them got permission.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:34 AM 

Before you go wasting time, I want to point out that I was honestly asking. I honestly don't know the answer to that question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:47 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Quote:
BTW.... she won $7,000 in damages. For someone who is a billionaire, that's pocket change. Your comment is off-base. She certainly didn't do it for money

Isn't that practically the classical definition of greed? Going after a young fan for a stupidly small amount of money when you're already a billionaire, just to keep him from making a dollar?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:08 AM 

But (at least according to her), she didn't do it "just to keep him from making a dollar." She did it to protect writers' rights in general.

7k just doesn't seem like much of a motive in this one, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:12 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

Yeah, and she's full of shit there and she knows it. "Protect writers rights." hah.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 AM 

You have as much evidence as I do for your point of view.

I've certainly done things on principle before. You never have?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 AM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

The money could very well be a settlement for legal fees, which the losing party in civil court has to pay.

Sarissa Candyangel

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:50 AM 
Vanguard Fanboy!
Vanguard Fanboy!

It doesn't matter if it was $1 going to Rowling, greed doesn't just mean that you're trying to rake in billions.

But if we're talking about money...then lets just look at the possibility of her wanting to use "writers rights!" as a nice way to snuff out and possibile competition for when she wants to put out her own Lexicon and make some dough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:59 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Actually I think she's said she'd donate it all to charity. The money is NOT the point with her. Card nailed it. This is the only thing she can accomplish, and she's NOT willing to let go of it in any way.

Also what if this guy did a better job than her? What if because THIS guy has worked on it for *years* he puts his out, she half arses it for a couple of years and clearly...his is better.

Nope, she's not going to risk the competition.

Ultimately the fact that she won is both stupid and bad. Encyclopedias of fictional work are REALLY for the uber fan, and helps them to better enjoy the work. In most cases where the author (or estate) has cockblocked it claiming they're gonna do their own...it hasn't happened.

Dune Encyclopedia is a very rare book today because rerelease has been blocked (as far as I can tell) by the Herbert estate, since Frank Herbert's son took it all over. They've said they're going to issue their own 'official' blah blah blah. Still waiting!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 PM 

Quote:
as a nice way to snuff out and possibile competition for when she wants to put out her own Lexicon and make some dough.

And this is bad how? It's HER work, not his. If she decides not to do it, or if he wants to do it, all he has to do is ask, and she can grant permission, for a fee or for free.

Why is it stupid for someone to want to protect their own property, Tarot?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

How is a reference book, which simply annotates the work, automatically the property of the original author and/or their estate?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:53 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Or better yet, how is a book about a book hers to control?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:06 PM 

Quote:
How is a reference book, which simply annotates the work, automatically the property of the original author and/or their estate?

While it does get a little gray, in general he lost his lawsuit because it added none of his own content. He claimed authorship, when the ideas presented in the work were not his own. The characters, ideas, storylines, places, and worlds are *her* intellectual property, and she can allow or not allow whatever she wishes with that property.

Do you see the qualitative difference between a work like this that simply catalogs existing material, and another work that provides commentary or analysis ON that material? The first is not ok without permission, the second is. He put his name on it as the author, when he did not create any of the ideas within it.

To tweak your words a bit, the reference book itself was never his or hers; the ideas, stories, characters, etc. are hers before he ever wrote the first word. If he had asked first, and done whatever hoops she asked for, we wouldn't be here today. He just did it on his own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Actually...he didn't. She not only gave permission, but her blessing and praise when his 'content' was a website. He labored hard for years "merely cataloging" the work.

His work was so valuable to Rowling that she made up and gave him an award for it. And also acknowledged that she often used his website as her personal reference guide when she needed to know a minor detail about something in the series (rather than going into a bookstore and buying a copy of one of her own books again, while working at public cafes).

So:

-He had permission
-He had her blessing, acknowledgement and praise
-He did a substantial amount of work for years on this project

And all he wanted to do was make a hard copy of it.

Except now Rowling was done, and decided maybe that's what she wanted to so. So she sued.

Why couldn't the two books co-exist? See Card's essay for ideas. /shrug

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 PM 

Interesting. This is new information for me-- so far I have only been going on one news interview and whatever knowledge of copyright law I have laying around in my head.

That certainly puts her in a worse light. Permission to make the website and permission to sell a book are certainly two different things, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:55 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
The website was free, the book was a paid product, taking money out of her pocket.

Granted, she should have just gone for a share of the royalties, or charged a licensing fee.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:25 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Because if someone wanted to know something that could be found on his website it wasn't taking money out of her pocket? She doesn't have a reference guide of her own material. She isn't lobbying for his site to be taken down, and it does the exact same thing as his book would have done. That's not a good way to go with point.

Offline Profile