It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:01 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:48 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Well at least we know these Anonymous folks come from upstanding, mature, and scholarly communities. Any word on if they've joined interweb forces with Ebaumsworld and YTMND.com to confront this grave threat to Democracy itself?!

Quote:
Venen, you can't cherry-pick the definitions and then claim that only yours apply to the word. If you're going to make a definition part of the debate, you have to explain why your chosen definition(s) should be used and the others shouldn't. Of course your personal preference doesn't satisfy anyone else on that issue.

Did you actually read my posts? There was no cherry-picking involved, I went through each definition - several of them had the implication of religion, at least one was unrelated, and the other 2 were out of the context with the kind of cult we're referring to(as Fribur pointed out).

Even assuming I didn't "explain" why they should be used, which I already did, it's pretty self-explanatory when you have 2 contextually different definitions and one that is completely unrelated that you would choose the only definitions left that qualify. Unless you felt like creating a new definition out of thin air.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:12 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
A little update on what this silly little group is achieving:

http://www.anonhouston.com/w/images/e/e ... nsmall.jpg

On March 29th, a Galveston county delegate to the RNC braved a Republican National Convention policy meeting and presented a proposal to get the Church of Scientology's status as a religion revoked. This would potentially mean stripping the tax exemption as well. This will need to work it's way up the ladder and if it makes it, it will mean that part of the Republican party's platform will be stripping Scientology of its religious status.

So yeah, it's not just people doing it for the 'lulz'. The delegate who proposed this is a member of anonymous (though not sure how anonymous he is now, heh :P).

When I was reading the wording I couldn't believe it was real, very nice work. Hope it passes into law.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Well when this thread started I had just moved to San Francisco, and walking downtown the first few weeks I noticed a really big Scientology building. Would have never had done it if not for this thread, but I went in took their 30 min IQ/emo test thing then talk to one of their.. priest? conselors? It was fine and dandy and all the while I was just tring to see what happens at the end of the speel. Figuring I'd be invited back to talk more or meet other people.... nope I was asked to buy books and packages for classes...

Heh, not a religion in my book. Though most religions do end up asking for money, it isn't their goal from day 1 with a new recuit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Hmm.. are those purchased items allowed to be a tax right off I wonder...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:34 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

490 U.S. 680 - Donations to charity only count for the purposes of deductions to the extent that you don't recieve anything of value for them. Like everything else in the law, there are exceptions and nuances (so don't rely on me for your taxes, guys :P), but this example isn't one of them because of the aforementioned case (but the IRS could change that pretty much at will, given the nature of tax law which I won't get into).

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile