It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:01 PM 
Do you smell that?

I've been bitching about this on and off since I bought an HDTV and started getting HD service. When are the TV providers going to start offering a menu and OS system that doen't blow chinese food ass? I'll begin with the shylocks at Comcast since that it my current provider.

Every time I want to access my guide, the pixels on my plasma TV cry out in anger. The fucking Comcast logo at the top left is slightly burned in, even though I take extra fucking special concern to make sure I fly in and out of the guide when I have to. The mini-guide is absolute assmastery of epic proportions. Clunky, counter-intuitive and slow. The blue and not so blue trim on the default main GUI gives me diarrhea of the mouth. Then they have "Themes": all equally mouth-diarrhea inducing. On top of that, I have to go to a special fucking channel to access On-demand content. That's gay. Let me browse the content without having to listen to your fucking E! News Daily lowcards pining for paychecks and whoring out the fact that 300 is available for 6 dollars for the 89,000th time.

When can I have a nice menu system that utilizes my HD resolutions? Something that slides out of the side, has an adjustable opacity, is quick and is no more than 1/4th of my screen. I want unobtrusive and slick. I want to be able to switch to full-screen guide if I have to. Give me channel/program info in a seperate window that I can quickly call and dismiss. Give me On-demand content that I can browse while on my current channel. At least (AT THE VERY LEAST) let me access this fabulous guide of my dreams when I am CURRENTLY IN AN HD FORMAT.

Every provider needs to come up to speed on their GUI's. DISH's mini-guide is awesome, DirecTV's DVR management is awesome. But they are both still lacking in many of the same ways. Fuckem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:49 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Step 1: get rid of Comcast
Step 2: (see step 1)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 PM 
Do you smell that?

I have small kids. The On demand content alone is worth keeping Comcast for me. Plus, I have it bundled with my 6mb cable which gets me a discount on both.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Step 2.A: get rid of kids
Step 3: (refer to earlier post)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:16 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Cox here in Phoenix has a great GUI for DVR/Browsing and OnDemand. Plus, 12 meg DL and 2 meg UL. =D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Bananea
WoW: Nananea
Well aren't you just Captain Specialpants Malorian.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Shareef hitting up that Nick on Demand for Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer and The Wonder Pets?

....yeah I do too. =P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
xskycrasherx wrote:
Cox here in Phoenix has a great GUI for DVR/Browsing and OnDemand. Plus, 12 meg DL and 2 meg UL. =D

That would be nice. Charter cable in wisconsin upgrades and content like they are doing these huge favors. Internet is still pricey, and you have to pay extra for even the 3 or 5 meg lines. Hardly any HD content either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

EQ1: Qindyin
WoW: Tgurok
they're supposed to rollout tivo to their motorola dvrs

http://www.comcast.com/tivo/

I think it'll cost extra, they have a new menu guide out, don't know if it does HD

They also have new guide software out that are supposed to tweak some things (also who knows where has it, some say it's being pushed out, some say it requires a tech to swap your box which is lame)

ask syuni~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Probably the best GUI i have seen is the AT&T Uverse. You can change it all around and it isn't solid but faded so you can actually s for Ditiee what is behind the menu.

PS: It is also about 35% cheaper for more services than Comcast, who I jsut switched from. I was paying CC $162/mo for cable, 1 receiver/DVR, HD, HBO and Internet.

ATT is only $109 for their U300, HBO, 4 receivers 1 DVR and their 6mb Elite Internet. They also have On Demand. Plus their DVR records 4 programs at once vs the 2 CC's does.

May want to look into it

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:01 AM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

Uverse isn't fully deployed around here, sadly.

The only reservation I have against uverse is, if I want to record 2 hd shows on at the same time, I can't. Uverse is limited to 1 hd stream per 'line'. When episodes are new on the networks, that would create a conflict, especially when new stuff is out and I want to catch them to decide if they suck or not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 AM 

Well, I don't have any trouble at all recording 2 HD programs at once on Uverse, I have even done 3 at once I believe. The pipe they bring into your home is now 25mb vs the 10mb they started out with. Also, in Feb you will be able to have more than 1 DVR in your home which will rock big time.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:07 PM 
Is She Hot?
Is She Hot?

really? most everything I've found on the net talks about how you can only watch 1 hd stream at the same time. Especially on FTTN (Fiber to the Node) but FTTP (Pole) might allow more streams.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:

Well they just upped it to 15mb down at 1mb up (from 12 and 512 or 768 i think - also if yours is 2, im calling to complain!) and raised the price $10/month... But the standard digital menu sucks and looks like ass...

Quote:
the pixels on my plasma TV cry out in anger

Im no guru, but are there actual pixels in plasma?

Quote:
Shareef hitting up that Nick on Demand for Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer and The Wonder Pets?

Haha, i took my kids shopping one day, and both of them just kept singing the damn theme song for wonderpets, *all day*... It was pretty funny because one of the cashiers at costco sang along with them 3 times while he was checking us out...

Ahh.... Kids, theyre interesting alright.

Formerly known as:
Dashkast Justifyer
75 Gnomish Puppy kicker

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 AM 

AT&T ran fiber through our neighborhood right after they got done dropping in the node. When asked why they were in my back yard, they said the twisted pair going through our neighborhood wouldn't support the Uverse system so they were upgrading it to FTTP. (I can literally toss a rock and hit the big ugly-ass beige boxes from my front porch.) So maybe we are some of the lucky ones...

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:46 AM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Miramicha - retired
WoW: Miramicha - retired
Eve Online Handle: Jake Rivers - active
Astro Empires: Miramicha - simmer
Get rid of the cable provider, except for the high speed of course and go with satellite.

If you are worried about the extra bills, you can just go the FTA route, free movies are always nice.

Offline Profile