It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 AM 

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/28/child.remains.ap/index.html

Quote:
Zeigler wanted his wife to spank Riley with a belt when she failed to say things like "please" and "yes sir" or "no sir," Stickler said Wednesday. Zeigler didn't believe Trenor was doing it, however, because the 2-year-old's behavior wasn't changing.

The fatal beating happened after Zeigler stayed home from work to make sure his wife was following his discipline plan, Stickler said.

In her statement to Galveston authorities, Trenor said the girl was beaten with leather belts, had her head held underwater in a bathtub and then was thrown across a room, her head slamming into a tile floor.

Although the affidavit said the couple abused Riley over a four- to six-hour period, Stickler said it wasn't a continuous event. Instead, Zeigler grew increasingly enraged as he spanked Riley and she kept forgetting to do things the way he wanted.

Police: Mother describes beating of 2-year-old
"There was never an intention to beat Riley to death," he said.

There was never an intention to beat her to death? Well thank God for that you freak. She was two years old. Two. I cannot imagine what sort of person thinks it is ok to beat a child for 4-6 hours. 4-6 hours for not saying "please"! I hope there is a hell and these two have a reserved seat in the most painful level.

I just do not understand how someone can stand to truly beat a child. I also cannot understand how a parent would let someone beat their child like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:34 AM 
Selling 50 Orc Belts!
Selling 50 Orc Belts!

As a father of a little girl, stories like these make me angry and sad on entirely new levels. Imagining a person, barely old enough to be aware of the world she lives, in spending her last hours in misery and confusion is sickening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:10 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

And I think I'm being harsh when I put my 2 year old in time out or give her a little swat on the diaper. I don't understand how someone could do that to any child, especially one so beautiful as her.

They have something broken in their heads for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 AM 
Destroyer of Douchenozzles

EQ1: Givin
WoW: Tacklebery
Who is going to be the first here to say we should rehabilitate them and not fry them?

Come on, you know it's coming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Khameir
WoW: Khameir
Rift: Khameir
EQ2: Khameir
LoL: Khameir
SWOR: Khameir
http://news.curse.com/details/3754/

Turns out the parents met while playing WoW...

Like Zatronn, this tragedy rouses both major amounts of anger and sadness for me.

The fact that the guy thought it was ok to punish a FUCKING TWO YEAR OLD CHILD for not saying "Please Sir" "Thank you Sir" "No Sir" is flat out unacceptable, let along the degree he was willing to go (and went) to punish her. What the fuck was this guy thinking? Somewhere in there it said that he was overwhelmed with being a father and didn't know how a two year old should act? What the fuck?!? We're supposed to believe this guys NEVER seen a two year old or how two year olds can act before...in the 24 year this guy's been wasting oxygen on our planet...he's NEVER seen it, so he thinks its ok to beat the living shit out of someone who has ZERO ways of defending themselves in the game of trying to teach the girl manners?

Even worse then that, the mother didn't see the red flags? She didn't see that this guy was expecting a two year old to have the manners of a little girl in prep school? And she thought it was ok for him to beat the fuck out of her? AND she helped him cover it up because "they'd go to jail!"! Where did she grow up, Nazi Germany?

Jail should be the least of both of their worries now. I hope Texas does justice in this case and straps both of these examples of infectious human waste to electric chairs and they both light of like the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.

I'm gonna stop now before my blood pressure goes too high...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:40 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I totally support parents' rights to discipline their children. If that means a spanking, that's sometimes necessary.

But this isn't that. This went way beyond discipline and crossed over into torture. And part of discipline is knowing what to reasonably expect from your child. Clearly a 2 year old little girl doesn't behave like an adult.

This is a sick story. The parents deserve to fry. But I predict they won't, since they're being "cooperative" with the police.

Poor little girl. :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Have to really wonder what the though process was when he was thrashing the life out of her.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Kill the parents.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:27 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
I would NEVER spank my children.

Quote:
give her a little swat on the diaper
Crowde

You need to be turned into child services.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:36 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I don't believe you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:42 PM 
Sports Guru
Sports Guru

WoW: Peno
Xkhanx wrote:
I would NEVER spank my children.

Quote:
give her a little swat on the diaper
Crowde

You need to be turned into child services.

HAR HAR

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:54 AM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Other people's children aren't yours.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 AM 
Bridge Dweller

No child deserves to be hit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:12 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

xskycrasherx wrote:

Wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:19 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:

Hitting and spanking isn't quite the same thing in my book, but gotcha.

I was spanked, my parents were spanked, and my kids will be spanked if and when it's necessary.

I'll save the beatings with belts, throwing them on tile floors and submerging under water for the crazies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:25 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Ok, I'll narrow it down:

Striking children (in any manner) to discipline them isn't the correct way to discpline them. =(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Do you have kids?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:47 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Yes, I have a 6 year old daughter.

Very witty and original reply, Bzalthek.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:58 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

What is the correct way to discipline children, oh master of child rearing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:18 PM 
Bridge Dweller

If I knew that, I'd write a book. =)

I just don't think it's appropriate in the year 2007 (almost 2008!) to use spanking as a way to tell your kids not to do something.

I was spanked. Now I'm a serial killer. No, but really, all it did was make sure that if I did something, that I didn't get caught. I was afraid of getting spanked, not afraid of the adverse effect of doing something wrong.

I may not know the right answer. I believe though that there are better ways to discipline children. I mean for me it's simple. If my daughter doesn't do her homework from school, I won't let her play 30 minutes of World of Warcraft. I won't let her watch an episode of the Simpsons if she won't take a bath before bed (forcing us to wake up even earlier in the mornings) -- etc. Very simple reward / revoke system. Shrug.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:41 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Sometimes taking things away isn't the right recourse, or doesn't fix the problem.

I do not spank my daughter for every little thing. Most of the time, discipline is sending her to her time out spot and then talking to her a few minutes later about why it's not ok do whatever she was doing wrong.

Sometimes I believe it is necessary to swat her on the diaper to get her attention and make it clear what she is doing is wrong. I do not beat her, but the shock of a swat to the butt usually makes her stop and really listen.

I was spanked as a child, and it didn't make me sneak around trying not to get caught doing what I was spanked for doing in the first place. If I was spanked for something, it was usually for doing something I knew I should have done in the first place and that was what I got for being stupid. Sure I may have got spanked a few times for the same thing, but eventually I stopped doing it.

Anyway, who spanks their kid for not doing homework or taking a bath? I'm talking about stuff that is dangerous to them or dangerous to others, sometimes taking stuff away isn't appropriate for that kind of thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:45 PM 
Bridge Dweller

So you reinforce telling them not to do dangerous things that could hurt them with actually physically hurting them? That doesn't add up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 PM 

Quote:
If my daughter doesn't do her homework from school, I won't let her play 30 minutes of World of Warcraft. I won't let her watch an episode of the Simpsons if she won't take a bath before bed (forcing us to wake up even earlier in the mornings) -- etc.

I tried that psyco-babble bullshit with my kids when they were little too. "I got spanked as a kid and I'm not gonna spank MY kids, yadda-yadda." I am here to tell you I broke down and cried more than once after spanking my kids I felt so bad, but guess what, they tow the mutherfucking line now. Anyone who has met them knows, they are both good kids and at 12 and 14 it isn't out of fear of getting spanked anymore. It is because they don't want to disappoint me or their mom.

From my experience...you aren't punishing her for doing something bad, you are removing an everyday item for her not doing something she is supposed to do. Not punishing her for being bad. 2 distinct things there.

All you are doing is showing her little 6yr old mind is how to weigh the pro's and cons. If I tell Mom and Dad "No, I won't take a bath before bed, then I wont get to watch the simpsons. Big deal, I will just make them get up early and do it tomorrow." In her mind she is getting the upper hand and she knows it, even at 6 yrs old.

Spank her little butt the next time she refuses to take a bath, sit her down to watch the simpsons and get her up early the next day for a bath. THEN see if she refuses again. She won't.

Then again, maybe I am wrong.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:01 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Different strokes for different folks. Nothin' wrong with that. =) :reindeer:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:11 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:
Anyone who has met them knows, they are both good kids and at 12 and 14 it isn't out of fear of getting spanked anymore. It is because they don't want to disappoint me or their mom.
This is gold right here; raise your kids well enough that they get to this point and you've got it made.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:24 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
So you reinforce telling them not to do dangerous things that could hurt them with actually physically hurting them? That doesn't add up

It adds up just fine, try Math for Parents, Amazon best seller! Breaking a limb or maiming themselves is a lot more severe then having a sore butt for 3-5 minutes, wouldn't you say?

Khan, we have similar discipline habits it seems. My wife went to school studying child development, (now a preschool teacher) and she's a firm advocate of spanking as is the director of the school. They don't spank the kids themselves without parents permission, but they have no problem calling parents and letting them know.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:29 PM 
Do you smell that?

My 4 year old future step-son is a fire starter (oven, stove-top, heater). He's autistic and has very destructive "moods". It's a fucking miracle that I have yet to strike that boy.

We use the 1-2-3 system. And time-out is not "go to your room". Time-out is sit here in this chair right in front of me and don't talk. Don't engage anyone. Sit in silence until I say so. It seems pretty effective.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Much respect for that man.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 PM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
Bzalthek wrote:
It's skycrasher, he's a fucking moronic cunt anyway. Does it really matter if he managed to spawn crotchmuppets?

this is a world class threadsnipe

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:02 PM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
xskycrasherx wrote:
Ok, I'll narrow it down:

Striking children (in any manner) to discipline them isn't the correct way to discpline them. =(

And "time out" only works for as long as it takes for the kid to realize that if they disobey the "magic time out chair" and get up....there are no further consequences other than..Dun dun DUNNNN ...more time out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:46 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Sometimes, physical punishment is the only option.
But, NEVER do it in anger.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:51 PM 
Froaaak!!!
Froaaak!!!

EQ1: Rugen Payne
WoW: Mathaen
Quote:
And "time out" only works for as long as it takes for the kid to realize that if they disobey the "magic time out chair" and get up....there are no further consequences other than..Dun dun DUNNNN ...more time out.

And that really is the problem. Once they call your bluff, you are done.

I was a royal terror. I actually feel really, really badly for my mom. I very quickly got the upper hand in the punishment department. She used to take things away from me as punishment, but even as a child, I was a stubborn git who refuses to bend...so I took the power away from her.

I did something, what is no longer important. She called the coach and told him I would not be able to play in the baseball game that saturday. I called the coach back, quit the team, turned around and smiled at her with a grin we both knew meant: "So what are you going to take now?"

This particular little war went on for quite some time, but I won... because no parent wants to punish their child and eventually my mother reached a point where she was terrified to take anything away from me because I would literally remove it entirely from my life. She was scared I'd have nothing left before it was done. In short, I called her bluff.

I don't think any GOOD parent *wants* to spank their kids. But I support their right, and their need, to do so. All I have to do is think back to how I systematically stripped my mother of any power in our relationship, and I know why. I'm actually quite thankful the whole "kids accusing their parents of abuse" trend hadn't hit yet. I would have seriously fucked my mom up. All because I was a kid too smart for his own good and I didn't understand the ramifications of what I was doing. To her OR to myself.

Not all kids are dumb, happy, flower children. They are exploring and testing all of the boundaries of their world and will go just as far as they are permitted to, in every sense of what that means. NPR did a show recently about parents yelling at their children. Someone in the course of that show made the remark that kids are these little sociopaths that you have to train into the rules of acceptable behavior and manners before it is too late, and I couldn't agree more. I was one, and my mom almost let it go too far before she finally "beat" the sense into me. But even then, my life long dislike of authority figures in general as flimsy shams for people without any actual power over me was pretty much in place already by that time. :p

If you don't have to spank your kid, be thankful. You may have a kid like me someday that will show you why it is required sometimes when they stare defiantly back into your eyes and call your bluff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:46 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

3 boys here.

Every child is different, every parenting style is different.

Personally we don't spank our boys. We did the time out, once that was outgrown it was to take away something they liked for a while (such as tv, video games). Now we at up to the grounding stage with my 2 oldest- while it is hard (and boy would I love time with quiet)- you can't let them call your bluff. Finish your chores or no sleepover means he will be in bed at school bedtime with no friends this weekend. Talking back means you will not go to grandmas even though it is your turn.

My boys know my voice, they know when it hits a certain octive they have gone to far. They know my husbands temper, at a certain point (when he sounds like a sailor) they know punishment is coming and 9/10 times they back off.

Now same line as spanking, we curse. Yeah, I wish we didn't- but we do. It's not like we call them names, but "for fucks sake" or the good old "wtf" can't be the best example to give them either.

I do know once, well 2 summers ago, all 3 of the boys pushed the buttons. They were calling the bluff. They all refused to clean their rooms and do their chores. Yelling, grounding, timeouts, nothing worked. So I blew up- I told them the video games were gone, I was selling all the shit and getting my cash back. They laughed. Poor boys... I packed everything that had a plug or took a battery up. I took their computer, gamescube, Ds's, Playstation, you get the idea... I took it all, system, games, controllers, wires- everything was thrown into garbage bags and taken to my car. At this point 2 were in tears, one was close. My husband thought I had lost my mind. I hopped in the car, drove to my moms and hid all the shit. Went to the bank- pulled out $200 and went home and showed them "my money". They were in hysterics.

After 1 month I bought back the Ds's, saying I felt they were behaving better (oh yeah, they were too, chores done, no backtalk, clean rooms) I used their chore money and slowly brought everything back, acting as if I rebought it all. Maybe a bit deceptive, but they feel they earned everything outright. That seemed to be the ruffest but most effective punishment I ever did. It is never brought up, I dont threaten with that- I don't need to. It was hard to do also, very very hard- I felt like a shit ass parent. But sometimes as a parent, you do what you feel is best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:31 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

Just my personal opinion...but I look back at the times my parents were hard on me when I deserved it, and they had no reason to feel like 'shit ass parents' in my book...more like good ones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:17 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

A woman that used to waitress at the restaurant we used to go every morning before work had a daughter around 13-14 that was just being completely undealable. She ended up taking the girl's door off the hinges, took away her phone, stereo, everything. I think at one point they pulled out the bed and left her only with a mattress on the floor. At this point almost all she had to do was sit in here room with no door, nothing to do, and no privacy. That finally broke her, she straightened back up but for a few months there she had a hell of a time.

I catch myself going far to easy on my kids, the oldest is like mini-me and overall behaves really well. His little brother is a lot more like his uncle on his mom's side. He's constantly pushing it and too often I let him slide after threatening to do something, I have to force myself to stick with it. It's no fun, but they have to learn limits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:42 AM 
I schooled the old school.

Quote:

This is true for spanking as well, unless you are implying that if they call your bluff on the spanking, you would move on to real abuse.

Time out is not the only other option for spanking, either. False choices for the win!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:36 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Spanking is reserved for the realm of stupid people who can't think of intuitive ways to discipline their kids. It's also optimal for the lazy parent who doesn't want to be bothered with thinking - the easiest solution that your average person can think of is physical discipline. It takes little effort, and it solves it for the short term.

I think it's hard to tell stupid parents how to raise their kids, though. First off, by the point where they needed spanking because their kid was doing something stupid they probably fucked up countless times by that juncture. Secondly, they're going to be too stupid to follow instructions for creative, intuitive discipline and retreat to the "i have no other options" without even thinking about it. It's really a self-reproducing problem. I don't think it's hopeless for them, but parental discipline is not a "5 minutes before I run off to work" problem. They need patience, and that's probably in short supply with someone who would resort to spanking easily anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:51 AM 
Shelf is CAMPED!!
Shelf is CAMPED!!

EQ1: Binkee
WoW: Wilkins
Rift: Wilkins
LoL: ScrubLeague
contribution ahoy!

(also: irony!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Venen, you are pro at talking out of your ass. Try that on your kids instead of spanking them, let us know how it works out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:16 AM 
Spider Slayer

Venen wrote:
Spanking is reserved for the realm of stupid people who can't think of intuitive ways to discipline their kids. It's also optimal for the lazy parent who doesn't want to be bothered with thinking - the easiest solution that your average person can think of is physical discipline. It takes little effort, and it solves it for the short term.

I think it's hard to tell stupid parents how to raise their kids, though. First off, by the point where they needed spanking because their kid was doing something stupid they probably fucked up countless times by that juncture. Secondly, they're going to be too stupid to follow instructions for creative, intuitive discipline and retreat to the "i have no other options" without even thinking about it. It's really a self-reproducing problem. I don't think it's hopeless for them, but parental discipline is not a "5 minutes before I run off to work" problem. They need patience, and that's probably in short supply with someone who would resort to spanking easily anyway.

What are these creative, intuitive discipline procedures that average people don't know about, and what exactly is intuitive to children about them if dumb people can't understand? :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:06 AM 

Quote:
What are these creative, intuitive discipline procedures that average people don't know about, and what exactly is intuitive to children about them if dumb people can't understand?

Well, not so much things people have never, ever heard of so much as methods that require significant amounts of patience in comparison to spanking. Things like positive reinforcement, strategically taking things away at the right times in the right quantities, long talks with your kid. All of those things are ideas we've heard plenty of times, but to use them effectively it's inherent that you're going to have to use some intuitive thought to implement them properly. No one disciplining method is going to be the end-all - some kids don't respond to the spanking exactly like you'd expect them to, and get even worse. These methods included.

But like I said, if a parent has fucked up along the way to the point where they feel they are at the end of their rope, they probably already fucked up along the way somewhere. If they've already done stupid shit, it can be hard to get out of it with any method.

Summary: Stupid people should think twice before reproducing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 AM 

Quote:
But like I said, if a parent has fucked up along the way to the point where they feel they are at the end of their rope, they probably already fucked up along the way somewhere.

Should read: But like I said, if a parent is to the point where they feel they are at the end of their rope, they probably already fucked up along the way somewhere. I blame 4 hours of sleep.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:54 AM 

Venen,

How many kids do you have and how old are they if you do have them?

Personally, I have never hit my son. However, he's two and timeout works quite well right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:55 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

This thread is getting away from the original topic, which was the killing of a 2 year old. People can raise and discipline their kids however they choose, but of all the millions of parents that spank, how many of those kids get killed?

I disagree with you on your stand on spanking kids Venen, but I do agree that there are some incredibly stupid parents out there. Reproducing doesn't require a high IQ unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:33 PM 
Do you smell that?

Quote:
long talks with your kid.

That's where my raising of an Autistic child splits off on a totally different road from "normal". He lacks many of the social developments we would consider typical in a child his age. For one, he lacks social awareness. He cannot be embarassed in a social situation. He lacks empathy, he cannot reason in such a way that would allow him to premeditate his actions while considering the feelings of those around him. Add on top of all of that, his limited speaking ability (which has come a long way in 1 year, mind you) and you end up with where I am today. Using 1-2-3-timout has been the single most effective discipline we have come up with. This is not the only method we use, either. We also try to have limited good-boy/bad-boy talks about what good boys and what bad boys do, and we do limit things he likes when he's in a mood, until the mood is corrected. Like, removing his favorite toys for a while, driving him to pre-school instead of letting him ride the schoolbus (which he absolutely loves), and other small things.

The fact that he's come so far in only 1 year without being spanked speaks volumes. When I discipline, I try not to show any emotion what-so-ever. It's a calm count, up to 3, then I grab him by the hand and take him to the timeout chair and sit in silence with him for 3-4 minutes. If I do have an emotional responce, I make sure he doesn't see it. I don't want him to see that his actions are upsetting me, only that there are consequences for them.

I was spanked when I was a kid, and with some of the stupid shit I did, I don't blame my parents for it. But, I don't see how in my situation, physical violence is ever going to teach him anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:48 PM 

Quote:
I think it's hard to tell stupid parents how to raise their kids

Of course it is hard for you, Venen, since you haven't actually raised any kids.

You get grouped right in there with the rest of the morons who have never raised their own children but
absolutely know the best way to do it. You know the ones I am talking about. Those people in a restaurant who bitch about
someones kid who is crying and how they would NEVER allow their child to act like that in public. Yet don't know that the child may
be teething, snatched up a bug (as kids do almost instantly) or have a sock or a piece of clothing that is pinching or pulling enough so as to be uncomfortable...

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I think that pretty much sums up your input into this thread. Thanks for sounding off though.
We enjoyed the laugh.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:49 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

That was the post I was waiting for, thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:04 PM 

Only happy to please, Crowde. :santa:

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:25 PM 

I was never spanked. I don't think anyone would call me spoiled.

I also deal with 100s of children on a daily basis, for 12 hours a day. I see many of these kids as much as or more than many of their parents. I never have to resort to spanking to cause them to behave. Hell, if I did, I would be sued.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Caladaar
WoW: Dirka
Xkhanx wrote:
Of course it is hard for you, Venen, since you haven't actually raised any kids.
Dealing with kids is probably the only situation where I would state that this is a valid stance.

Shareef is a wise man, and I would like to echo and clarify yet again: never discipline with emotion, especially anger.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:14 PM 

Quote:
I was never spanked. I don't think anyone would call me spoiled.

Yeah, and we all know you aren't fucked up in the least. Maybe if Ma' and Pa' had whacked your ass a few times you wouldn't have turned out to be a ...

Wait for it....

PACIFIST!

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:32 PM 

Quote:

You get grouped right in there with the rest of the morons who have never raised their own children but
absolutely know the best way to do it. You know the ones I am talking about. Those people in a restaurant who bitch about
someones kid who is crying and how they would NEVER allow their child to act like that in public. Yet don't know that the child may
be teething, snatched up a bug (as kids do almost instantly) or have a sock or a piece of clothing that is pinching or pulling enough so as to be uncomfortable...

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I think that pretty much sums up your input into this thread. Thanks for sounding off though.
We enjoyed the laugh.

Nice assumption(I must not have kids because I'm a... liberal, or something!). Although for once your assumption here is correct, I don't have kids.

I wouldn't claim that it would be akin to the observations I would attain by having kids, but I do believe my experience was a bit unique. I ended up living with several different parents/guardians growing up - there was a time when I had to live with my aunt and 2 of my uncles(that's right, 3 different households, 4 counting my parents), and I had the experience of watching them raise their kids(now, granted I was not that old, but I was old enough to make casual observations about how they raised their children at a young age). My aunt was the one who hated spanking, and got by pretty well without it. But my observations of how my uncle raised his kids I think are a bit more pertinent at least in terms of one of the reasons(besides emotion) that people do it. There were countless different times where one of his kids simply would not do anything he told him to do, and the uncle without a second thought would spank - this was ESPECIALLY apparent and the case when he was short on time, or had a short fuse(emotion), or lacked the patience(impatience).

One thing people like Caladaar are missing that's mucho important here is spanking out of *impatience* is stupid too, not just emotion. This includes not looking at all of your options before making the decision. My uncle(this particular uncle), honestly, was never really a smart man. Dropped out of high school, truck driver for most of his life, etc etc. Conversely, my aunt was incredibly gifted in many different areas and worked for several law firms. I saw a contrast here, especially right before my uncle was about to carry out the punishment. More often than not - he was not emotional, he just never thought of another way to deal with the problem. Put simply, he was a bad problem solver, and never used what could be considered a unique method to solve anything in particular.

This is far from hardcore proof, but these observations(with my biological parents/siblings) still feel like geniune indicators of a type of mindset that people go about when making the decision. I still don't get much of a response when I ask people what other options they tried and thought about before they ended up spanking, and that to me is the most telling indicator of all. The real question that should be asked is: What does spanking offer you that other methods do not, and are you incapable of producing a similar level of impression on your kid with psychological methods?

Surely we can at least agree that it takes a lot more effort(and a shitload more patience) and thought to use psychological methods than it does to place palm onto buttox. It seems only natural which method a stupid person would elect. You could have a smart person who does it, but the natural tendency seems to me to be in the opposite direction.

I really don't need to have experience to tell you that there are countless parents out there that have succeeded without spanking and have had not one ounce of issue. You might suggest there are issues kids have, such as lack of discipline, due to not being spanked. That seems a little silly on the face of it, since I think we have probably all met someone who has never been spanked and is quite disciplined. There are parents still who had kids, and had previous inclinations not to spank their kid well beforehand and stuck to it. Where did these parents succeed? Even if these kids have some sort of issue, at the very least the parent was able to get their kid to stop say, throwing things indoors over and over. Somehow, these parents prevailed in stopping those little fits - to suggest that there are just some bad kids is a bit of a copout when you have so many parents who have overcome these SAME little issues that some claim are not stoppable without spanking without spanking.

And if I needed further evidence, Xkhanx pops up and identifies himself as the dumbass to which I described to the T. Thanks for calling yourself out. Coming from someone who runs straight to the Lanys boards when his kid constantly gets in trouble in school, this is really reaffirming to me.

I salute Shareef, though. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to raise an autistic child. Like you said, it would be very difficult to come up with good methods of discipline in that situation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Quote:
Nice assumption(I must not have kids because I'm a... liberal, or something!). Although for once your assumption here is correct, I don't have kids.

I stopped reading here. Ok, actually I didn't, but I wish I had.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
I was beat pretty good as a kid up until the 6th grade when my stepdad gave me a nice black eye I took to school with me. One of the teachers asked me and I told them he gave it to me. Nothing really happened, we all had to go to some counselor and I just remember him getting really mad about the whole thing- and cussing at the counselor. Back then it really wasn't that big of a deal. Nowadays, I probably would have been taken away. This whole thing happened back in the 80's.

Oddly enough, I don't believe in beating your kids in any shape or form. It is funny, people hit their kids but get mad if the kid hits somebody in school... Well, fucking rocket scientist, you beat your kid, of course they think it's ok to put their hands on somebody else.

Don't think I am soft either. I am all about discipline and kids acting right. But hitting is not the way to do it - and if you do hit your kids, don't act all shocked when they hit other people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:44 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
oh and i love how people with kids know everything... if that were the case, why are there so many fucked up ass parents around.

having kids by no means makes you an expert - you aren't fooling anybody

My step sister is a bad parent. I can call her a bad fucking parent. Everybody on this board would call her a bad parent. My nephew, now 16 is in and out of court, juvi, house arrest and everything else. His myspace has a picture of him enjoying a nice beer and he is constantly stealing and doing drugs - he ought to be on maury. I told my step-sister back when the kid was 11 that if she didn't start making changes then, he would be out of control later.... Guess what happened? In fact, she should have been doing the right thing back when he was 2 and she wouldn't have the problems she has now.

I think every school should teach a human growth and development and parenting class. That would be something our kids could really use in life.

I believe there are no bad kids, just bad parents.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:04 AM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

What is it with Ohio parents......I would personally skin this fucker alive and cauterize every inch so he lived through the entire thing before I fed his sick twisted fuck self to fireants. Nothing I could do would be terrible enough to this son of a bitch.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=home&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200712/267294743.html

The link shows the pictures of the boy and the cock fuck who did it.

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man denied playing a role in the death of a 17-month-old boy on Tuesday, one day after admitting he sexually assaulted the child.

Jaydon Hoburg died in July 2006 after doctors said he suffocated, 10TV's Maureen Kocot reported.

White, 28, initially told authorities that he and Hoberg fell asleep on a couch together. After he awakened, White said that he discovered that Hoburg's head was stuck between couch cushions and the child was not breathing.

"I woke up because I was supposed to be watching him," White (pictured, right) said.

After arriving at the hospital, the boy was pronounced dead and doctors determined the toddler had been sexually abused.

Although he initially denied touching Hoburg, White later admitted to raping the child when he was asked to provide a DNA sample. In a taped interview with police, he told detectives that what he did was sick and morally wrong, Kocot reported.

However, White repeatedly denied smothering the boy to keep Hoburg (pictured, left) from crying, Kocot reported.

"That I did not do," White said. "I tried to save life. I tried to do CPR on him. I did not want that little boy to leave. No way, no way, no way.

"And maybe this is my punishment. This is how I'm going to be ultimately punished is by the boy leaving. What you guys do to me will not be a punishment compared to what has happened to that little boy."

Hoburg's mother, who was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom the night her son died, testified on Monday that she never heard her son cry.

White, who faces a charge of aggravated murder, could face the death penalty if convicted.

The trial is expected to come to a close on Wednesday.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:12 AM 

Quote:
And if I needed further evidence, Xkhanx pops up and identifies himself as the dumbass to which I described to the T. Thanks for calling yourself out. Coming from someone who runs straight to the Lanys boards when his kid constantly gets in trouble in school, this is really reaffirming to me.

You are such a douche Venen, and an even bigger idiot. My kid does nothing in school but stands up for himself 2 times 2 years ago and now he is constantly in trouble in school. Great observation, I'll remind him you said that tomorrow morning at the honor roll breakfast at school...

You saying stupid people spank and smart people do not is just as dumb as saying black people break the law, white people don't. Get over yourself, you know jack shit about shit.

And last I looked, I did graduate High School. And let me check one other thing real quick.... yeah, it still says Director of Information Technology on my office door. And if I remember, my 4.2GPA kolleej grajeeit wife's door says National BCMA Coordinator, VA Med. If only we both were HS dropouts and truck drivers, maybe we could fit your stereo type a bit better.

People do what works for their individual circumstances. Psycho-babble works on some kids, not on others. Spanking, the same thing. As a parent you need to decide what works in your own particular situation. No one thing is the end all be all solution. It is unfortunate that you cannot wrap your mind around that. But feel free, if you ever pro-create, to use your own methods. Then come back here and give us a little insight as to how much your kids psych bill is after you are done fucking his mind up.

_____

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

*spanks Khan*

Offline Profile