It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 PM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:00 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

EQ1: Chibb
WoW: Peinn
I know all in-store warranties are mostly a ripoff, but I do like the replacement plans from places like Bestbuy, CompUSA, and Circuit City. They will replace your defective product with a new one or issue store credit toward something else. I even worked as a computer tech for CompUSA for 4+ years so I know how these things work and never had a problem. Until yesterday, when I tried to return my "red-ringing" Xbox 360 to MicroCenter and redeem the 2-year replacement warranty I purchased through them less than a year ago. Apparently, MicroCenter has their own policy of not replacing products still inside the manufacturer warranty and tell you to deal with the manufacturer to get it fixed/replaced. I even researched the other stores (BB, CC, & CUSA), all 3 will replace you product from day one of purchase (no mention of having to wait for a manufacturer warranty to expire).

Rather than rewrite my complaint, here is the E-mail I wrote to their corporate offices. I doubt anything will be done about it but I felt the need to vent my frustration.

Quote:
I purchased a Xbox 360 Premium console from MicroCenter in Houston, TX on 11/28/2006. I was told at the time of purchase that Microsoft only had a 90 day warranty, so I was sold on the idea of a 2 year replacement guarantee through MicroCenter. I have used such warranties in the past at other retail outlets like CompUSA & BestBuy so I know they are great for the convenience of not having to deal with manufacturers and wait for repairs or replacements to be sent to you. This was the sole reason I purchased the replacement warranty.

A couple of days ago, my Xbox 360 suddenly died so I took it back to the same store. I was informed that I would have to deal with Microsoft to get the product fixed. I spoke with the operations manager and the general manager (Guy) about this and both told me that I would have to wait for the manufacturer warranty to end before they could take care of me at the store. I was furious that I wasted my time and basically been misled by MicroCenter (that they would take care of me at the store if my product failed). I called the warranty company, Service Net, and spoke with Rebecca about this issue. She told me since it is a manufacturer defect that they couldn't help me and told me to call Microsoft.

I called Microsoft and was on hold for over 30 minutes. Not your fault, but just illustrating the frustration I had to go through when I thought I purchased something that would be very convenient and hassle free for the consumer (me). Now I have to wait for a box to be sent to me, so I can send the defective console in and it will be up to 4 weeks for a replacement to be sent back. I could have done this without paying extra for MicroCenter's replacement guarantee.

I have worked in retail for over 15 years and can't blieve you would treat a customer like this. I paid for a convenient replacement guarantee, not a "we can't help you until after you deal with the manufacturer warranty and wait a month or more." I hope this policy gets changed, because it just caused you to lose a customer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:03 AM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
exercise the microsoft warranty and keep your hard drive.

if you take the store replacement, they're taking every single part of the malfunctioning unit and replacing it.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:13 AM 
Everquest Rocks!
Everquest Rocks!

EQ1: Chibb
WoW: Peinn
I understand that. I already took precautions and backed up all my profiles and saved games to a memory card. In fact, I wanted to upgrade to the Elite and pay the difference. They said I could do that if it was over a year old. I will just wait 6 months and get it replaced at the store. I'm just pissed, I have to wait a month to get it replaced via Microsoft when this failure occurred the 2nd day of playing Bioshock! Now, Halo 3 will probably come out by the time I get a new console so I won't have time to play Bioshock! :(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:25 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

When we do replacements under warranty,we only take the system,hard drive and controller if you want to keep them are both yours to keep.Thats how most companies do it that I know of.

Offline Profile