It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:59 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
A grief stricken Father jumps over the table in an Ohio courthouse and tries to kill the ghetto thug that just pleaded guilty to killing his son.

Cops should have let him do it.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=26aeb ... &gt1=10252

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:25 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Tell me that doesn't chill your blood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:11 AM 
Trakanon is FFA!
Trakanon is FFA!

EQ1: Larreth/Shaylea
WoW: Gnomez Gomez
Rift: Veluria
EQ2: Vee'Sheer
Wow.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:40 PM 
What does this button do?

A little background on the story....
Quote:
STEUBENVILLE, Ohio — The father of a murder victim dived across the defense table, swung at his son's killer and tried to choke him in an eastern Ohio courtroom on Monday before a sheriff and other law enforcement officers pulled the two men apart.

Antonio Clifford, 20, of Cincinnati had just pleaded guilty to aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and tampering with evidence in the July 29, 2006, shooting death of Joshua Ryan Sweat, 28, of Weirton, W.Va.

Sweat was trying to buy drugs behind a Steubenville bar when he was robbed and shot once in the back of the head. He died later at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

Before sentencing Clifford on Monday, Jefferson County Common Pleas Judge Joseph Bruzzese Jr. allowed Sweat's relatives to stand and read statements.

Mike Sweat, the victim's father, approached Clifford saying he wanted to show him a picture. He then attacked and screamed obscenities at Clifford while police wrestled Sweat to the ground.

Its not difficult to figure out where the son went wrong. He was a drug user and was shot buying drugs, we are all better off without him around. The father is a deceitful liar with a raging temper. One does not have to stray far to figure out why his son was on drugs in the first place. I think they should prosecute the father and put his ass in jail as well. Then we would have 5 thugs off the streets rather then just the 4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:43 PM 
The Lurker at the Threshold

EQ1: Vanamar
WoW: Kallaystra
Rift: Tarathia
Quote:
He was a drug user and was shot buying drugs, we are all better off without him around.

Yes, because using drugs automatically makes you an evil, bad person who shouldn't live.

Or, you know... not.

World of Warcraft: Kallaystra, Gweila, Steakumn, Tarathia [ Feathermoon/Horde ]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

EQ1: Arunhah
WoW: Scathain
Rift: Arunhah
EQ2: Scathian
I think having a "raging temper" is understandable when you are face to face with a man who just admitted that he murdered your son in cold blood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:03 PM 
Bridge Dweller

Scumbag or not, people are allowed to be grievous over someone they love who they lost. The father didn't behave properly, but whatever. He was upset. It's not ok for him to be violent nor is it ok for the other guy to be violent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

zomg drugs are ok, example: chris benoit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:39 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I see your Willie Nelson, and raise you every poet, author, musician, pretty much every entertainer worth reading, watching, or listening to that ever lived...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:17 AM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
Way to try and make the kid look like he was a crazed crack addict. Ever think maybe he was just trying to buy some weed. Either way, the guys kid was executed, "Shot in the back of the head". They should have let dad do the same to him.

Sending worthless fucks like this to jail where it costs what, 40k+ a year to house them is foolish.

HANG THEM ON THE COURT HOUSE LAWN Show it as mandatory in the schools beginning at age 13 and maybe these animals that think they can do anything they want with no fear of retribution except a 50yr stay in a hotel will change their POV.

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 AM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Xkhanx wrote:
HANG THEM ON THE COURT HOUSE LAWN Show it as mandatory in the schools beginning at age 13 and maybe these animals that think they can do anything they want with no fear of retribution except a 50yr stay in a hotel will change their POV.

Did this sort of thing work to reduce crime back when such things were practiced? Genuine question too, not trying to be sarcastic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 AM 
I've pwned over 300 times!

IMO, the background on this story is even more interesting than the fact that the father attacked his son's killer in the courtroom. I can understand and sympathize with that, especially since the killing was evidently done execution style over such a paltry sum of money.

I found it very interesting that the bar, which was directly involved in the situation of the original shooting, is in downtown Steubenville, very close to a police station. Pee Dee's bar 160 S. 4th St, SPD station 123 S 3rd St.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/9602146/detail.html
Quote:
Joshua Ryan Sweat, 28, of Weirton, was shot to death early Saturday in an empty parking lot just feet away from the police station.

These comments come from ...nearby business owner Aldo Candstraro... last year, at the time of the murder.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/9597236/detail.html
Quote:
Candstraro said there are always lots of people standing around late at night in that lot.
"People stand in this parking lot all night because they won't let just anybody in that bar. A lot of them get stuck outside and they won't let them in," said Candstraro.

The proximity of the murder scene to the police station might prompt some serious questions when the history of the SPD is taken into consideration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville,_Ohio
Quote:
Political corruption
Steubenville has had a poor reputation of political corruption. The Department of Justice alleged that the city and the police force had subjected numerous individuals to "excessive force, false arrests, charges, and reports" and had engaged in practices regarding "improper stops, searches, and seizures." The report from the Department also states that excessive force was levied against individuals who witnessed incidents of police misconduct, and against those who were known critics of the city and its police force. Those individuals were also falsely detained if the city and the police agreed that they were "likely to complain of abuse." It also stated that the officers involved also falsified reports and tampered with official police recorders so that "misconduct would not be recorded." [1] [2]

Over a period of 20 years the city lost, or settled out of court, 48 civil rights lawsuits involving its police force. The city paid out more than $800,000, $400,000 of which was between 1990 and 1996. As a result the city's police force earned the dubious distinction of being the second city in the nation to sign a consent decree with the federal government due to an excessive number of civil rights lawsuits. The decree signed on September 4, 1997 under the "pattern or practice" provision. Under this agreement, the city agreed to improve the training of its police officers, implement new guidelines and procedures, establish an internal affairs unit, and establish an "early warning system."
http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/split/documents/steubensa.html

This doesn't strike me as the type of situation where someone would be going to try to buy a little weed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:40 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Gosthok
WoW: Gosthok
SWOR: Gosthok
Geee Willy, wtf?

Being better off because someone who was buying drugs was killed? Are you serious? =x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:50 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

WoW: Drajeck
Argrax wrote:
Xkhanx wrote:

Did this sort of thing work to reduce crime back when such things were practiced? Genuine question too, not trying to be sarcastic.

If I remember right, it lowered the rate of petty theft type crimes (due to fear of punishment), but increased the rate of violent crimes (due to desensitization of seeing people killed). It's been a while since I read that study though.

With that said, I'm all for the death penalty for murderers like this. I don't want to support his ass in jail for 33 years, and I don't want to see it on the street 20 years from now after probation. I don't care if it's a deterrent or not. And before anyone says it costs more to kill someone on death row than to keep them in jail, that is something that could be changed if we wanted to.

Also, implying that anyone who buys any drugs deserves to be shot execution style is way over the line. Get a grip. The rage the Father felt in understandable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

all this aside,

is there really any guarantee that the father would have even won against the ghetto thug? age is a terrible thing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:39 AM 
Lois Lane!

Someone who is a drug user can possibly return as a useful member of society. I say this from experience - my sister was on several types of drugs and was an alcoholic...all before she was 18. She has been through rehab and is a regular at AA now, and she has been sober for 3.5 years.

If someone shot her in the back of her head when she was still using, it would have been horrible. She wouldn't have the opportunities she does now - she's in college, she's engaged, and she and her fiance own a nice home.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:55 AM 

Austi, Im glad to hear your sister is doing so well. I dont wish death upon anyone but IF your sister were to have been shot and robbed in a drug deal while she was using, you would feel much like the father and I would feel much like I do for the guy who was shot. If one person in the world who I dont know or associate with turns their life from doing bad things to doing good things it really does not effect me. What might effect me is if I come into the radius of effect from the bad things that person is doing at the time, and those bad things effect me or someone I know.

In other words I dont care if people are doing what they are supposed to be doing and being a good person because even if the radius of effect from their good and acceptable behavior comes into contact with me it typically does not effect me negatively. Therefor I dont really care.

On the other hand if the person is doing that that may negatively effect me and those I know I do care. If they are suddenly gone for whatever reason, be it shot dead, thrown in jail, or rehabilitated in some way its a good thing for me. Because I dont know them it does not mater TO ME how they are no longer negatively impacting my life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:43 AM 
Grrrrrrrr!
Grrrrrrrr!

lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:10 PM 
Loading,Please Wait...
Loading,Please Wait...

wall of text for how much i don't care.. ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:43 AM 

You are a sick and twisted individual Willey. Even if the kid was going to buy drugs and use them does that make it right for the guy to execute him? You obviously do not have a son; or if you do you don't love him. People wonder why I think the human race is a disgrace, Willey and the murderer are perfect examples. Zero compassion.

Look at the pain and agony and uncontrollable emotion from the father. He screams out "My baby!" I damn near cried. The thought of someone hurting my boy damn near brings me to my knees, seeing the person who killed him would probably make me insane as well. The father's face should tell you everything. My world doesn't work without my son... I imagine Mark is the same way with his children.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:10 AM 

You guys dont understand shit, how stupid are you? Your going to rally around some fucked up kid on drugs and put me on the same level as a murderer? Fuck off im done

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:12 AM 

Just because he uses drugs, he's fucked up?

You're the one making the bad assumptions and being a douchenozzle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:48 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

WilleyCoyote wrote:
You guys dont understand shit, how stupid are you? Your going to rally around some fucked up kid on drugs and put me on the same level as a murderer? Fuck off im done
It is less rallying around a "fucked up kid on drugs", and more rallying around a kid who was murdered, and a father who understandably went crazy at the sight of his son's killer. As to lumping you into the same category as a murderer, you're the one who said that we'd all be better off if drug users were executed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:16 PM 

I'm not defending what Wiley said at all - I make no judgments as to the murdered son's value to society - but I have a hard time feeling as badly for him as I would an entirely innocent victim. If you are going to buy drugs, you are dealing with unsavory characters who just might kill you. That's a risk you take when you decide that the legal system doesn't apply to you.

As for the father, I feel nothing but compassion and empathy for him. Drug users, like the son, can take risks and sabotage themselves, thereby effectively harming entirely innocent loved ones in the process. That's what drug users do to their families, folks. Drug users are SELFISH. They are not people who think about the impact that their actions have on their loved ones. Every time they enter a dangerous situation (buying drugs is a dangerous situation, I don't care what you say or think on this one), they take risks with interests above and beyond their own. Doesn't matter if it was his first time trying or his 50th; he took the selfish risk all the same.

http://boxrockssocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:48 PM 

That is a much more cogent response than I expected. That said, as I've already mentioned, I won't debate whether buying drugs is inherently dangerous. Call it a strong opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:37 AM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

Quote:
but I have a hard time feeling as badly for him as I would an entirely innocent victim. If you are going to buy drugs, you are dealing with unsavory characters who just might kill you. That's a risk you take when you decide that the legal system doesn't apply to you.

I'm honestly just curious how it makes him more "guilty" than innocent if he happens to be a drug user. I assume you're not talking in the legal sense here, because you have little sympathy for him. Or do you inherently feel less sympathy for anyone who breaks any law? Regardless, the question stands. Not all drug users take their drugs at other peoples' expense(such as causing harm to their families, etc). What makes him less innocent than anyone else out of the sole fact that he uses drugs?

BTW, I jaywalked the other day. It was so selfish, and the law didn't apply to me! Even though there were zero cars in any direction and no potential harm to come from it.

I'm just looking for a solid example of what's bad about it *inherently*, not happenstance circumstances that sometimes but not always accompany drug users. There are countless gamblers, for example, that cause much harm to their family through their addictions. Ban it because people abuse it even though there are many who use it without harm?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:
...inherently feel less sympathy for anyone who breaks any law?
That pretty much sums up how I feel. That's not to say that anyone deserves to be made a victim, because they don't; however when you do something that can be dangerous, you've accepted the potential danger as a possible repercussion and are therefore (in my personal opinion) a little less worthy of sympathy than someone else who did not get to make a choice.

Quote:
I'm just looking for a solid example of what's bad about it *inherently*, not happenstance circumstances that sometimes but not always accompany drug users.
It's not bad necessarily, but it does carry with it an inherent level of risk and/or danger. I don't know the statistics on it, but it seems to me that more people die while buying drugs than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with nothing but a backpack.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:02 AM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

Argrax wrote:
Xkhanx wrote:

I'm pretty sure it reduced cost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
No harsh punishments didn't reduce crime. There's more than one historical account of thieves being hung, while pickpockets worked the crowds (since executions were considered entertainment for the whole family at some points in history in most regions).

HOWEVER I have seen bullshit defenses that it does. I'm not saying there cannot be a 'good' defense that it did reduce crime in certain contexts...but the most common 'defense' I've seen is comparison of the US prison population numbers versus execution numbers (real or estimated) per population etc.

Couple things to remember there. The US has an unbelievably skewed prisoner per population number compared to most of the world. So if one is comparing prisoners and executions in the UK when the law was harsher to the US...well that's retarded. Another problem, they exclude child prisoners, and 'workhouses/poor houses/debtor prisoners'. Primarily that's a problem because some of those 'crimes' are akin to 'white collar crime' today. Additionally it skews 'violent crime' numbers.

Then of course to a large degree it's comparing apples and oranges. Many of you here who are the 'law and order' types who'd never rob someone...might do so if your wife and child were starving and you had no means of work or gaining food. That wasn't the case for most crime...but poverty is often a factor both then and now. Drugs existed (if only via alcohol) but not even close to the way they exist today.

Last thought, many societies and cultures (not just western) who have had harsh punishments for various crimes (physical punishment) believed that imprisonment was crueler. Better to beat, brand, even kill a man, than lock them away. It wasn't really about saving money, it was considered inhumane. When you consider the state of our prisons in the United States before the Quakers got involved in Pennsylvania...you can see why. And even the first penitentiary was horrifically cruel (though unintentionally so).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:37 PM 

Venen wrote:
I'm honestly just curious how it makes him more "guilty" than innocent if he happens to be a drug user. I assume you're not talking in the legal sense here, because you have little sympathy for him.
I'm not using the word "innocent" in that manner, no. Lack of innocence, in this context, for me means someone who received harm that he or she could reasonably expect and/or know was possible.

Venen wrote:
Or do you inherently feel less sympathy for anyone who breaks any law?
Correct, that is how I feel. We have rules so that society can function properly and to the greater benefit of everyone. When you decide that framework doesn't apply to you, your culpability rises, if only a little (like in this case). I guess what you fail to recognize or I failed to convey is that I do feel badly for the son, but not as badly as if he weren't breaking the law at the time.

Venen wrote:
Not all drug users take their drugs at other peoples' expense(such as causing harm to their families, etc).
BTW, I jaywalked the other day. It was so selfish, and the law didn't apply to me! Even though there were zero cars in any direction and no potential harm to come from it.
This is obviously where you and I differ most. I would argue that you aren't taking a very holistic view of the drug problem if you take one's "getting away with" not visibly or noticably harming anyone in a particular instance. The hypothetical you pose actually pretty much carries its own refutation: you substituted your own judgment for that of the orderly system in place. While the hypo is clearly designed to convey the triviality you unwarrentedly feel is the same in a drug transaction, the principal remains the same: you don't know better than the law and if you substitute your judgement for its, you surrender to a certain measure of culpability, however infinitessimal. You and I can argue all day about the size of that increase in culpability, but it's there.

Venen wrote:
I'm just looking for a solid example of what's bad about it *inherently*, not happenstance circumstances that sometimes but not always accompany drug users. There are countless gamblers, for example, that cause much harm to their family through their addictions. Ban it because people abuse it even though there are many who use it without harm?
First of all, the gamblers analogy is a straw man, as I would not defend such people for a minute. Furthermore, the mere fact that something is legal and can cause harm doesn't invalidate what I've said. As a matter of fact, legal and illegal has little to do with it in the big picture. It has more to do with the reasonableness of one's own actions and who pays the consequences for unreasonable ones. It just so happens that I beleive that pretty much any illegal act is unreasonable, but that doesn't mean any legal act is reasonable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:58 PM 

[quote="ArachtivixI'm not using the word "innocent" in that manner, no. Lack of innocence, in this context, for me means someone who received harm that he or she could reasonably expect and/or know was possible.[/quote]I left an important peice out here: Lack of innocence, in this context, for me means someone who received harm that he or she could reasonably expect and/or know was possible as a result of volitional acts of their own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:17 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

Quote:
No harsh punishments didn't reduce crime. There's more than one historical account of thieves being hung, while pickpockets worked the crowds (since executions were considered entertainment for the whole family at some points in history in most regions).

There is a big difference between REDUCING crime and ELIMINATING crime, which is why your example doesn't apply. If a thief is being hung, and there are people pickpocketing in the crowds......what does that have to do with the hanging? How do you know there weren't a few other people in the crowd who would have normally pickpocketed, but decided not to because of the hanging?

Again, crime is going to exist no matter how harsh the penalties applied by society, so the question becomes whether or not increasing penalties reduces the likelihood of crime being committed.

Even thinking about this logically, doesn't it seem like it might? If something is against the law, then there are going to be law-abiding people, which is the majority, that will not commit the "crime" as to avoid punishment. For example, spitting on the sidewalk is not a crime in the United States, but in Singapore it will result in you getting fined. Is there anybody who doesn't think there is less sidewalk spitting in Singapore than in the US?

Furthermore, let's just make-believe that a law in the US is passed that makes it a crime to spit on sidewalks....don't you think the amount of side-walk spitting would decrease? If nothing else, just because it now has become criminal offense and most people are law-abiding citizens?

Do you honestly think that if first-degree murder was NOT against the law, that if there was no penalties for it.....that there wouldn't be more murder committed? I personally can think of a lot of people I would personally like to kill if I didn't think I would go to jail for it.........whether I would pull the trigger or not is a different story, but I can tell you if I wouldn't get in trouble for it I would be much more likely to commit murder than not.

Same with something like shoplifting. Have you ever shoplifted? Have you ever thought about it? If you have, what stopped you? If you wouldn't get in trouble for it, would you? Again, you and I may never shoplift, but if there was no penalties for shoplifting, I think you can imagine that the amount of shoplifting would increase.

Maybe you're more focused on the HARSHNESS of penalties. For example, if people were put to death for shoplifting vs just going to jail, would that result in a decrease in shoplifting? I agree it's hard to know statistically what would happen unless such laws were applied. However, I think it's equally naive to just say that harsh punishments don't reduce crime without knowing the effect on the crime when such penalties are removed.....again, laws from the 18th century and other countries need not apply, just like in your examples.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:30 AM 
Spider Slayer

While that all may be true, there's more people in this thread that don't factor in innocence and what someone deserves for breaking the law, so we can beat you all up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:51 AM 

Quote:
Last thought, many societies and cultures (not just western) who have had harsh punishments for various crimes (physical punishment) believed that imprisonment was crueler. Better to beat, brand, even kill a man, than lock them away. It wasn't really about saving money, it was considered inhumane. When you consider the state of our prisons in the United States before the Quakers got involved in Pennsylvania...you can see why. And even the first penitentiary was horrifically cruel (though unintentionally so).

I'd like to throw in that I think we should give people the open-ended option to kill themselves(or let themselves be executed, whichever) when we give out a sentence of life in prison. That way there really is no such question of what is more cruel - they get to decide for themselves, and both options leave society secure assuming prison safety standards are met.

On to the responses, though:

Quote:
That pretty much sums up how I feel. That's not to say that anyone deserves to be made a victim, because they don't; however when you do something that can be dangerous, you've accepted the potential danger as a possible repercussion and are therefore (in my personal opinion) a little less worthy of sympathy than someone else who did not get to make a choice.

No offense, but I find this to be contradictory. You state that no one deserves to be a victim, but at the same time you say their actions make the end result worthy of less sympathy somehow. So you don't think they deserve it any more or less, but less sympathy. To me, when you say you have less sympathy because someone does X which has increased chance of Y, it implies that the person is more deserving of it. Otherwise, why would you have less sympathy for them?

They're clearly made a choice with a higher chance of Y, and it is at least partly of their own doing, but how does that automatically lead to less sympathy simply because they made that choice? People make stupid choices all the time, that doesn't mean we should have less sympathy for what they go through. If you disagree with that, I'd be curious as to why specifically you think they deserve less sympathy.

Quote:
It's not bad necessarily, but it does carry with it an inherent level of risk and/or danger. I don't know the statistics on it, but it seems to me that more people die while buying drugs than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with nothing but a backpack.

In this particular case, you have a situation where there are countless, countless people who buy drugs every day and never get murdered like this guy did. Sure, there's an increased likelihood whenever you deal in a black market environment, but I think it's simply wrong to suggest that someone basically "asked for it" in such a case. If it was a 50/50 chance of being murdered, ok maybe. 20 percent chance even, maybe. It's simply not THAT common, especially considering most dealers just want to make more money rather than put themselves at more risk like this guy did by murdering someone, and he got busted for it.

Quote:
I'm not using the word "innocent" in that manner, no. Lack of innocence, in this context, for me means someone who received harm that he or she could reasonably expect and/or know was possible.

So perhaps a question might arise, do we know that this individual knows what we know regarding the dangers of drug use, and buying drugs? What it emphasized enough during his being raised?

Regardless I would also present the point above about the inherent dangers of buying them.

Quote:
Correct, that is how I feel. We have rules so that society can function properly and to the greater benefit of everyone. When you decide that framework doesn't apply to you, your culpability rises, if only a little (like in this case). I guess what you fail to recognize or I failed to convey is that I do feel badly for the son, but not as badly as if he weren't breaking the law at the time.

I would pose the same question to you as I posed to Devyn above - why feel less badly for him over this simply because he made a choice that likely led to the result?

And not only that, but let me just say: The guy was killed. He was not slapped in the face for his stupid action. He was not thrown a lawsuit at him for his actions. He was murdered. Some things are simply too rotten to happen to anyone who has done no real wrong, period. I think I could understand where you're coming from IF the person in question did something wrong, rotten, or evil. But this guy, perhaps for selfish reasons but nothing that by itself harms others, simply wanted to put a substance into his body. Period. He obviously wasn't out to hurt anyone, except maybe himself. That is neither wrong nor evil.

Certainly the guy put himself at greater risk. But to suggest that less sympathy might be afforded it also to suggest that the person in question is somehow more deserving of the result because of the actions they chose.

Quote:
This is obviously where you and I differ most. I would argue that you aren't taking a very holistic view of the drug problem if you take one's "getting away with" not visibly or noticably harming anyone in a particular instance. The hypothetical you pose actually pretty much carries its own refutation: you substituted your own judgment for that of the orderly system in place. While the hypo is clearly designed to convey the triviality you unwarrentedly feel is the same in a drug transaction, the principal remains the same: you don't know better than the law and if you substitute your judgement for its, you surrender to a certain measure of culpability, however infinitessimal. You and I can argue all day about the size of that increase in culpability, but it's there.

First off, I'm not talking about a particular instance. I am saying that if there is even a chance that a person can go about a careful, decision-making process and take drugs without harming anyone around them, then it's hard to say it's inherently bad. It would be by their design and judgement to ensure that they harm no one else with their habit, and that leads to the idea that it CAN be done by more than just a few people.

Yes, you take some RESPONSIBILITY for your actions by disobeying the law, no question about it. But that should not automatically lead to less sympathy, as I said above.

Quote:
First of all, the gamblers analogy is a straw man, as I would not defend such people for a minute. Furthermore, the mere fact that something is legal and can cause harm doesn't invalidate what I've said. As a matter of fact, legal and illegal has little to do with it in the big picture. It has more to do with the reasonableness of one's own actions and who pays the consequences for unreasonable ones. It just so happens that I beleive that pretty much any illegal act is unreasonable, but that doesn't mean any legal act is reasonable.

I feel like inserting all the arguments from the other thread at this point, but I shall resist!

The gambling analogy is intended to convey one important point, as above: if people can reasonably go about a decision-making process and prevent other people from being harmed by their habits, such as the more common case with gambling, then it is only logical to believe that others can go through that same process and duplicate the results.

I understand completely how important laws are in maintaining a healthy society. There are countless laws on the books within our society that make perfect sense to follow, and should be followed more often than not. But how that leads to assigning automatic credit to every law's worthiness of being followed without even examining the logic behind it is beyond me.

I'd be curious what doesn't fall under your "pretty much" in regard to any illegal act being unreasonable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:
No offense, but I find this to be contradictory. You state that no one deserves to be a victim, but at the same time you say their actions make the end result worthy of less sympathy somehow. So you don't think they deserve it any more or less, but less sympathy. To me, when you say you have less sympathy because someone does X which has increased chance of Y, it implies that the person is more deserving of it. Otherwise, why would you have less sympathy for them?

They're clearly made a choice with a higher chance of Y, and it is at least partly of their own doing, but how does that automatically lead to less sympathy simply because they made that choice? People make stupid choices all the time, that doesn't mean we should have less sympathy for what they go through. If you disagree with that, I'd be curious as to why specifically you think they deserve less sympathy.
No offense taken. When someone is harmed in such a way that I feel they had no personal responsibility, I feel an emotional response for them; but that emotional response is lessened or gone in situations where the person harmed made a choice to put his or herself into a dangerous position. Whether or not they are deserving of this harm though is completely different. If a man robs a family at gunpoint and is killed during a struggle, I feel no sympathy for the robber at all. I know that the robber didn't deserve to be killed (theft doesn't warrant death), but I also know that he deliberately placed himself into a position that was dangerous. One is an intellectual response, and the other an emotional response.

Quote:
In this particular case, you have a situation where there are countless, countless people who buy drugs every day and never get murdered like this guy did. Sure, there's an increased likelihood whenever you deal in a black market environment, but I think it's simply wrong to suggest that someone basically "asked for it" in such a case. If it was a 50/50 chance of being murdered, ok maybe. 20 percent chance even, maybe. It's simply not THAT common, especially considering most dealers just want to make more money rather than put themselves at more risk like this guy did by murdering someone, and he got busted for it.
Obviously the odds are a factor, but they are not the only factor. No one in the US is able to claim ignorance of the danger of buying drugs. They're engaging in illegal behavior with someone who has already shown that they have no qualms with disobeying the law in order to make money. More, they're deliberately putting themselves into this situation for recreational purposes.

At no point did I say or mean to imply that anyone "asks for it" when they are killed. But they do understand and accept that possible repercussion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:12 AM 

Devyn wrote:
If a man robs a family at gunpoint and is killed during a struggle, I feel no sympathy for the robber at all. I know that the robber didn't deserve to be killed (theft doesn't warrant death),...

I don't think this serves well as an analogy, the young man buying drugs wasn't threatening anyone at gunpoint. I believe that anyone who uses the threat of violence or death, especially with a firearm, deserves whatever happens to them and would feel not one iota of sympathy for them. Joshua Sweat, the young man killed, went to a dangerous area and has to bear partial responsibility for what happened. I don't think he deserved to die just for trying to buy drugs, but I can't feel much sympathy for his poor decisions. I think his father is the one deserving sympathy.

History shows us that people will use and abuse substances regardless whether they are legal or not. People seem to overlook the fact that most drugs weren't illegal in this country until well after the end of the 19th century. The experiences of prohibition demonstrate some of potential negative consequences of making widely desired substances illegal. Crime increases. Harsher penalties often result in more serious crime. I've read study results that demonstrate when a criminal faces the same penalty for a less serious crime (such as armed robbery) and a more serious crime (such as murder committed during an armed robbery), there is no incentive to refrain from the more serious crime - especially if escalating the criminal act reduces the chance of being apprehended (leave no witnesses).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 AM 
10 Years? God im old!
10 Years? God im old!

EQ1: Annastazia
WoW: Gravestone
Does the situation change if the guy's son was buying drugs to sell to school kids?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 AM 
Spider Slayer

Rokhan wrote:
Does the situation change if the guy's son was buying drugs to sell to school kids?

Why? You'd only be feeling sorry for school kid druggies!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:05 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

sijandistraightarrow wrote:
I don't think this serves well as an analogy, the young man buying drugs wasn't threatening anyone at gunpoint.
It wasn't meant as an analogy for the event, it was an example of how whether or not someone deserves what they get and feeling sympathy for someone are not necessarily linked.

I believe that anyone who uses the threat of violence or death, especially with a firearm, deserves whatever happens to them and would feel not one iota of sympathy for them. Joshua Sweat, the young man killed, went to a dangerous area and has to bear partial responsibility for what happened. I don't think he deserved to die just for trying to buy drugs, but I can't feel much sympathy for his poor decisions. I think his father is the one deserving sympathy.
Wait, so anyone who uses the threat of violence or death deserves whatever happens?

History shows us that people will use and abuse substances regardless whether they are legal or not. People seem to overlook the fact that most drugs weren't illegal in this country until well after the end of the 19th century. The experiences of prohibition demonstrate some of potential negative consequences of making widely desired substances illegal. Crime increases. Harsher penalties often result in more serious crime. I've read study results that demonstrate when a criminal faces the same penalty for a less serious crime (such as armed robbery) and a more serious crime (such as murder committed during an armed robbery), there is no incentive to refrain from the more serious crime - especially if escalating the criminal act reduces the chance of being apprehended (leave no witnesses).
Could you provide that study by chance? Of course there is incentive to refrain from the more serious crimes, the incentive is that those crimes won't be added on to the things you are about to be prosecuted for, meaning less potential punishment. I really don't see what other incentive could be given other than possibly giving them a free toaster if they don't kill someone while committing armed robbery.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 PM 

Devyn wrote:
Wait, so anyone who uses the threat of violence or death deserves whatever happens?

Pretty much, IMO. There are exceptions to everything, but generally speaking I certainly believe if someone uses threats of violence, bodily harm or death to coerce someone else they deserve whatever happens to them. I am certainly not impartial on the subject, I've had to deal with that type of person far too often in my life. Most of them have gotten a taste of their own medicine, because appearances are sometimes deceiving, but I wouldn't feel any differently if I were the kind of person to do more than simply defend myself.

Devyn wrote:
Could you provide that study by chance?

I wish I could, but it's way too long since I read it to even begin to know where to look for it.

Devyn wrote:
I really don't see what other incentive could be given other than possibly giving them a free toaster if they don't kill someone while committing armed robbery.

Obtuse and facetious? If a person is committing armed robbery, and the penalty is the same as for murder committed during an armed robbery, what incentive is there for the criminal to leave a witness who can identify them? The majority of sentences for multiple charges connected to one event are concurrent, not consecutive. The incentive not to commit murder would be the lesser sentence, rather than risking a more lengthy sentence by killing the victim. Another example of this was when people robbing a bank faced kidnapping charges for restraining people present. It was first applied only if you forced them to move from one room to another, but later court rulings upheld that restraining their free movement constituted kidnapping.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:35 PM 
Camping Dorn
Camping Dorn

EQ1: Brigitmorgaine
WoW: Brigitmorgan
Nekrotic wrote:
Quote:

Do you honestly think that if first-degree murder was NOT against the law, that if there was no penalties for it.....that there wouldn't be more murder committed? I personally can think of a lot of people I would personally like to kill if I didn't think I would go to jail for it.........whether I would pull the trigger or not is a different story, but I can tell you if I wouldn't get in trouble for it I would be much more likely to commit murder than not.

I think the majority of people in the world do not depend upon civil and criminal laws as their only moral compass. Most of these laws are already based on "natural law" - things that have been deemed wrong or immoral in almost every culture on the planet since man first walked the Earth.

That being said - I really didn't want to get into the punishment argument. I was more interested in the "inherently dangerous" one.

As a recovering addict/alcoholic I would have to say that, since I stopped doing drugs and alcohol 23 years ago and no longer hang out with (using) addicts/alcoholics, I have not experienced a date rape, I have not been assaulted, I don't have friends that suffer violent deaths once a month, I no longer wake up in the morning with strangers sleeping at my house, I haven't seen anyone set fire to their own hair, I haven't seen anyone pull out a handgun and play with it in front of me like it's a toy, I no longer need to check the police blotter to see which "friend" of mine may have been busted this week.

So yes, I believe that as the act of buying drugs puts one in contact with people capable of all of those things, it is inherently more dangerous than not buying drugs.

By the same token, drinking in a bar is also more inherently dangerous than not going to one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:17 PM 

If you've ever read that short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, it's a bit like how I feel about the whole drug user situation. The woman who ended up getting killed at the end was gung ho up until the very moment she realized it was her. Similarly, druggies everywhere say things like "using drugs is harmless" until it's them. It's human nature, mostly adolescent nature, but still, to think you're invincible until the problem is yours, however unlikely it may be.

What's the difference between using drugs and any other dangerous but accepted activities? The reasonableness of the decisions made to reach that point. If the townspeople in "The Lottery" didn't all choose to play, it would be different. That would just be ungarnished murder and the story wouldn't be nearly as interesting. Instead, we have a killing that resulted from a game that all the participants chose to play. Jumping back to the issue at hand, the father did not choose to play and therefore, in my mind, was the most to be pitied. I feel badly for the son, but he's the idiot who cast his own lot amongst killers.

Wrapping up this analogy, normal people finish "The Lottery" thinking, "what kind of barbaric, maladjusted, creeps play a game like this?" I would ask the same thing about the drug trade at any level.

Many who insist that buying or using drugs is completely safe probably identify themselves closer with the user/dealer crowd. (I'm not saying anyone IS a user/dealer, only saying that it may be easier for some to picture themselves in that situation) In other words, they might say it's harmless in the hopes that saying so will make it so, or at least avoid having to consider any such assertions. I realize that might be inflamatory, but I think it's true. I'll admit to not being able to identify at all with drug users or dealers. So perhaps it is just something I will never understand. The villagers might have had some compelling reason to stone each other on an annual basis, who knows?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 PM 

Quote:
Many who insist that buying or using drugs is completely safe probably identify themselves closer with the user/dealer crowd. (I'm not saying anyone IS a user/dealer, only saying that it may be easier for some to picture themselves in that situation) In other words, they might say it's harmless in the hopes that saying so will make it so, or at least avoid having to consider any such assertions. I realize that might be inflamatory, but I think it's true. I'll admit to not being able to identify at all with drug users or dealers. So perhaps it is just something I will never understand. The villagers might have had some compelling reason to stone each other on an annual basis, who knows?

That seems like a pretty big assumption to me, but I'll acknowledge it might be the case that most advocates identify themselves as such. Regardless of what their motives are, it's important to look at the argument and situation at hand rather than come to a simplistic conclusion based in any part on from whom the arguments come from.

I thought the same way about druggies a few years ago, actually. Even argued on these very boards that they deserved no respect because they caved in and decided to do whatever their friends were doing because it was l33t kewl. I have no intention of ever drinking alcohol, let alone drugs. The whole process of having to put something into your body to have a good time disgusts me. However, I have come to understand that other people are not like me. I have to look past myself, and try to understand other people's situations.

Regarding drug use in general: It's a public health issue, not a crime. There are plenty of analogies with substances you can put into your bodies that can have a negative effect on you AND those around you, but I'll spare you those. It should be a FREE CHOICE to put something into your body that does not directly harm other people by itself. Who are we to deem which decisions are too stupid for people to make when it comes to putting a substance in their system? It's their body, it's their right to fuck it up in a truly free country.

Summary though: Let's be careful when grouping people up based on what they're advocating. I think I'm probably one of the least likely people to "identify" with a drug-user.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 AM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

Quote:
If a person is committing armed robbery, and the penalty is the same as for murder committed during an armed robbery, what incentive is there for the criminal to leave a witness who can identify them? The majority of sentences for multiple charges connected to one event are concurrent, not consecutive...
I see your point, thank you for explaining it.

Quote:
There are exceptions to everything, but generally speaking I certainly believe if someone uses threats of violence, bodily harm or death to coerce someone else they deserve whatever happens to them.
Imo, there'd be so many exceptions that it wouldn't make sense to even say that. For me, it all depends on the level of force versus the situation at hand.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:34 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Arachtivix wrote:
Wrapping up this analogy, normal people finish "The Lottery" thinking, "what kind of barbaric, maladjusted, creeps play a game like this?" I would ask the same thing about the drug trade at any level.

Love that short story, and your other analogy with it was good...but it doesn't really work on this one. Mob mentality of 'stone the judas goat' doesn't really relate to recreational use of drugs. I'm also not defending drug use but too many broad generalities are being made about it.

Anyway as far as the relative innocence of anyone...I think most of us find it perversely ironic or amusing when someone dies while trying to do harm to another. The urban legend where the men take an animal (stray dog usually) strap explosives to it and set it loose only to have it run under their truck blowing up an expensive car is popular because someone is getting their comeuppance. We don't have to feel sorry for them, they had it coming.

We just tend to forget we all have it coming. I've been terminally stupid more than once, and either through the intervention of someone else, or just sheer luck I didn't end up dead. We all have lists of dumb ass stuff we've done that should have or could have resulted in serious injury or death. And yes, in retrospect most of us realize exactly how dumbass it was...but we have the luxury of doing so after the fact. Some, well aren't that lucky.

I'm not going so far as to expending a lot of sadness for some dumb bastard who while breaking into a school falls off the roof and paralyzes himself or dies. But shit like this? Yeah, I've got a little compassion for it. And I'd have compassion for Mr. Dumbass Burgler on the Roof's mother as she was mourning the death of her loser son.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Uh... actually that would be a bird dog that retrieved a stick of dynamite they were trying to use to blow a hole in the ice so they could duck hunt, ducks have to have a place to land before calling them in is effective.

Quote:
Regarding drug use in general: It's a public health issue, not a crime. There are plenty of analogies with substances you can put into your bodies that can have a negative effect on you AND those around you, but I'll spare you those. It should be a FREE CHOICE to put something into your body that does not directly harm other people by itself.

Except it's not, and it is a crime.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:49 PM 

She's talking about a completely different urban legend, hara.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:10 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

And even that one didn't happen.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp

But I was thinking of another one which is mentioned in that snopes article. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 PM 

Quote:
Except it's not, and it is a crime.

Throw in a "should be". Pretty obvious.

Offline Profile