It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Got new living room stuff coming today...so I made arrangements for someone to take my old stuff.

Except they decided they didn't WANT the old stuff, despite telling me they did. And I had canceled some haul away your shit people so they could take it. AAAAH. Well, at least they moved the crap out to the curb.

So I put it up on craigslist.

First off, people on craigslist are a bunch of fucking liars. I put up an honest ad about my stuff. It's 10 years old. One of the recliners is kinda broken in that it goes back too far (which is fixable...we're just sick of fixing it). It's clean...in that by 'clean' it has no stains or odor...but it's been used for 10 years.

So I put up my ad, and nothing.

So I look at other people's ads, first off they make their shit sound really good. Yeah it's super you paid $2200 for that couch you're giving away FREE, if it had value you'd be selling it. It was worth $2200 when you bought it 8 years ago, now it's worth $0.00

Second, they lie. They describe it as being 'like new' and then I look at the pictures...it's like new, if by new they mean they just bought it but then their house was flooded and invaded by monkeys. I don't understand why people lie and then put up pictures. Don't they realize people can see they're lying?! I didn't see a single couch picture with a couch in better condition than mine.

And that's saying a lot.

I probably should have demanded money for it, it would have sold. I could have listed it for $300 and allowed myself to be bartered down to whatever. But if something is free? People don't want it. Hell I could probably put a sign on it saying $100 OBO, and someone would 'steal' it tonight for me.

Problem is I want that shit off my curb now...and tomorrow is trash day and the surly trash men will not take a couch. I do not want angry surly trash men yelling at me again. (They get bitchy if the yard waste isn't in the yard waste can even).

Ultimately I ended up calling around to businesses from the ad section of the local newspaper. I was going to pay $125 (reluctantly) and the first guy I called was $130. Second guy wanted $200, I laughed as I hung up. Third guy sounded really desperate, wants cash only and will do it for $80, and is coming right away.

So at least the shit will be off my curb. Though if I'm found raped and murdered by the $80 guy, let people know who did it. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:14 PM 
Cazicthule Bait
Cazicthule Bait

You had to pay someone to take your garbage off your burb? 80 dollars?????

Holy shit!

We toss stuff like that on the curb, if anything recycable is on it a junk truck will pick it up before trash day, if the garbage men dont wanna deal with it- they take the pillows and smaller stuff, then put a call in for old bessy. The truck that should of been retired 36 years ago comes smoking and puffing to your curb and they haul it off, no charge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:21 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Carolsue wrote:
You had to pay someone to take your garbage off your burb? 80 dollars?????

Holy shit!

We toss stuff like that on the curb, if anything recycable is on it a junk truck will pick it up before trash day, if the garbage men dont wanna deal with it- they take the pillows and smaller stuff, then put a call in for old bessy. The truck that should of been retired 36 years ago comes smoking and puffing to your curb and they haul it off, no charge.

Not just pay someone...but it was $50 LESS than the next cheapest. Yeah. :(

Southern California is a pain in the ass for getting rid of shit like that. Garbage men won't take it and they're really snotty about what they WILL take. You can't 'dump' it anywhere, if you're caught leaving it someplace (and people do) it's massive fines, plus potential criminal charges depending on where you dumped it. If you happen to have a truck, there's a sort of local place you can take stuff like that to but it used to be $50 per load...and that was 14 years ago (friend of mine had a business where he had to dump stuff there couple of times a week and I know the price went up from $50).

So basically I assume the guy picking up my stuff will be making about $20 after he pays a dumping fee, unless he has a place to store such crap and take multiple loads into a dump...in which case he'll make more.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:53 PM 
Camping Orc 1
Camping Orc 1

I live in So Cal, Oceanside actually, and I'm allowed to do one large item like that every 6 months or something, no charge. I just have to call the number I see on my statement and request them to haul away something. They'll give me a date, and it's gone when I get home. That's not to say you can't do more, but they charge for everything else, (though I really don't think it's as much as you were getting, I want to say it was like $50).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:02 PM 
We Have Cookies!
We Have Cookies!

EQ1: Cakvala
WoW: Cakvala
LoL: Cakvala
I have a Gateway P4 2ghz 384mb Ram Laptop if neone wants to buyz it!
Ill even includes
- Wireless mouse
- Wifi Card
- lap top Bag

Software
- Windowz XP
- Microboft Office two thousand three
- Some other crap.

175$ dollars makes you holla!

(Im actually serious i just felt like being funny)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:05 PM 
Blackburrow Lover!
Blackburrow Lover!

I'll buy it... email inc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:59 PM 
Spider Slayer

I live in Bremerton, WA. The garbage company charges for labels/bottlecaps on recycled bottles, recyclable items in the garbage bin, and a fee per inch your garbage lid is above the lip of the can.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:05 PM 
Fell for 50,000 points of Damage

EQ1: Golliwog
WoW: Rileigh
Wow, you guys are hardcore in the states. I just barely even recycle. Most times, bottles and whatever all get chucked in the garbage. Our garbage men don't care lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Yep Tarot, I feel your pain.

I have a garage with quite a bit of furniture that I don't have room in the house for. One of my buddies calls me and says his sister-in-law is moving out on her own, just getting started in life, and was looking around to see if anyone had any old furniture she could have.

I figured this was a double bonus as she would get furniture she needed (for free), and I would clear up my garage and could use it again.

So I dusted it off (most of the furniture is nice) and set it out in the driveway so she could easily take what she needed. Then she says, "Well, I think I'll just go with the stuff mom & dad bought for me".

DAMMIT! Why waste my time if your parents are buying you new stuff anyway? I was going to donate this to charity or sell it in a car boot sale to get a little cash, but I decided since it was a relative of my friend I'd give it to her for free.

I felt as if she was expecting me to give her brand new furniture. People are friggin spoiled (I would have LOVED getting that stuff for free when I was just starting out).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:03 PM 
I've pwned over 300 times!
I've pwned over 300 times!

I feel for you Tarot. In our w.KY small town, furniture in decent condition or easily repairable is gladly accepted by Goodwill or Salvation Army. I've never had any problem getting rid of all kinds of stuff that costs to take to the dump. When I pulled the old, humongous gas forced air furnace out of my old house in Boonville, IN I put it on the curb with a Free sign on it and it was gone within the week. Almost anything in decent shape put to the curb around here with a Free sign on it is gone within the day.

Quote:
I felt as if she was expecting me to give her brand new furniture. People are friggin spoiled

You said it there Cuch. I'm amazed how many people would rather have new, crappy, flimsy, cheap furniture, etc. than well-made, solid, gently used items. I've always hit the used furniture stores when I needed something. One of the best deals I ever got was a '30s baroque style dining table made of mahogany. It only had one chair with it, but it was huge, had the old lever style leaf locking mechanism and 2 leaves, making it almost 4'x8' with both leaves.

It really irks me that so much ends up in landfills in our area, from everyday disposable items like bottles, etc. to recyclables like metal and plastic. Our small town is paying for recycle collection and it's far from universal. I was so impressed by the episode of Dirty Jobs where they showed the recycle program in San Francisco that I wondered why more localities aren't working toward building the same type programs.

And everyday we move more and more toward being a short-sighted, clueless disposable society.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:39 PM 
Cazic Thule owned RoA
Cazic Thule owned RoA

Seeing that about WA state is pretty hilarious, and not at all suprising.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 PM 

Advertise at a college/university.

These people live on milk crates.

--J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:57 PM 
For the old school!
For the old school!

Don't you have places who take the furniture to hand out for free to people who lost everything in a fire and who were not insured where you live?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 AM 
Can dish it but can't take it!
Can dish it but can't take it!

EQ1: Vexana
Jeka wrote:
I live in Bremerton, WA. The garbage company charges for labels/bottlecaps on recycled bottles, recyclable items in the garbage bin, and a fee per inch your garbage lid is above the lip of the can.

WTF I used to live in Port Orchard.

Any rate, we get nasty notes left for us if GOD FORBID there's a branch in the recycle bin. Or grocery bags. For crying out loud, a GROCERY BAG! I live north of San Fran. I'm sorry, I don't always feel like hoarding grocery bags to haul to the market for their recycle bin. I (and my neighbors) thought it was perfectly o.k. to put them in the blue bin!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 AM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

When I was first getting started out my television was on a cardboard box hidden by a cloth. I'd have loved to have free stuff. Most of my stuff I had was 2nd hand, except for my dining room set which was cheap glass/metal.

Anyway the guy came, and tried to up the price. I got pissed and told him I'd call out someone else. He said no, he'd just do it for what he bid *huge sigh* and maybe he'd keep one of the recliners for himself because they were in such good condition and comfy. But couldn't I give him at least another $20.

I gave him the cash, told him I trusted him to finish the job, and walked back into the house. I was rather annoyed. Oh also he was by himself (whining the the couch had metal parts, fucking duh I said it was a recliner couch) and I wasn't helping him load it up after I paid $80 for him to pick it up from the curb.

5 minutes later looked out, my shit was there...he wasn't. Oooo I was mad. 30 mins later looked out my shit was gone. So figure he probably came back with help.

And no...no organizations will take it. You can find one or two which *might* take it...if you bring it down to them. But they might look at it and decide not to.

*sigh*

It wasn't 'great' stuff mind you, but I'd have snatched it up back when I had an apartment. *shrug*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:29 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

EQ1: Draagun Dwarvepunter
WoW: Draagun
If I woulda looked outside and seen my shit still sitting there I woulda busted a gasket.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 PM 
What? Another Expansion?!
What? Another Expansion?!

If anyting is too big for the garbage, burn it in the backyard

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:45 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Belzek wrote:
I'll buy it... email inc.

Damn you I thought you meant my couch.

OTHER PEOPLE NEED TO STOP TRYING TO SELL SHIT IN MY THREAD WHERE I AM WHINING ABOUT MAH STUFF!! ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY GET RID OF THEIR SHIT AND GET PAID...AND I HAD TO PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE MAH SHIT!*

That is all.

(Can you tell I quit smoking on 7/19?)**

*kidding
** not kidding

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:15 PM 

Good for you Tarot, I bet you feel better already!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:46 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Rileigh wrote:
Good for you Tarot, I bet you feel better already!

I'm using the patch. Not really. I am breathing better though, and I notice smell and taste far more. Breathing better IS a huge difference. Given the difference, I'd say if I'm at 100% now...my breathing capacity was at like 60% before. Whether that was just 'smoker's lung' or that plus asthma...I dunno. It's a remarkable difference.

Feeling better though? I still want to smoke. I kinda blow up at times. It's getting easier as time goes on, but it's not easy. I'm pretty sure I'm done with them for a couple of reasons. One I'm having surgery and I'd like to live in case I have to go under anesthesia (if a nerve block fails...and as I had a problem before where breathing was an issue, I'd rather not ever have that again. Quitting ups my odds). Second, my dog is in congestive heart failure. The cardologist (yes, she's seeing one. Yes, I love my dog THAT MUCH) has said environment had nothing to do with it (it's congenital) but not smoking around her certainly will help make it easier for her.

I will not smoke around her. Plain and simple. Easier to do it for someone else than for myself, and I think of that when I'm tempted.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 AM 

A good friend of mine used to be hardcore in to basketball in university, played varsity etc. He started smoking like maybe a year or 2 ago. So not that long. We decided to join a rec bball league together. So we head to a court for a little 1 on 1 to get back in the groove and the poor guy can't run worth shit without gasping for air anymore haha. So he decided to quit, and now (been maybe a month) he feels tons better, especially with playing ball and going to the gym. He can actually do cardio now!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 PM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

I'm curious if you tried 1-800-GOT-JUNK, and if so, if they are expensive or not. I see their trucks all over LA.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:49 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Nekrotic wrote:
I'm curious if you tried 1-800-GOT-JUNK, and if so, if they are expensive or not. I see their trucks all over LA.

Yeah that's who we initially called. They were coming out for $150 (and then we canceled them). That was just the initial quote...prices vary on weight or volume (or maybe both, I forget).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:35 PM 
Oh yeah? How 'bout I kick your ass?

EQ1: Xkhan
WoW: Xkhan
You don't have an Amvets out there? They take anything not nailed down. Friggin guys call my house once every 2 weeks asking if we have anything to give away...

_____
VEGETARIAN -Noun (vej-i-tair-ee-uhn): Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

Xkhanx wrote:
You don't have an Amvets out there? They take anything not nailed down. Friggin guys call my house once every 2 weeks asking if we have anything to give away...

We do, and they won't. Clothing and other items (small)...they absolutely want though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:11 AM 

Maybe you have ugly furniture?

--J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:32 AM 
Lanys Supporter
Lanys Supporter

In Montgomery Co. MD the county picks up furniture and other big stuff right from the curb. Our crazy high taxes so serve some purpose.

Offline Profile