It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 AM

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:58 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

I need to convince my boss I need one of these for my office--

That would be my boss there, not realizing I'm sound asleep in the pod there. :P

Quote:
Employees no longer need to resort to desks, couches, or even toilets to nap. The MetroNaps EnergyPod is designed for powernapping in the workplace.

Quote:
MetroNaps enhances workforce productivity through educational seminars and mid-day napping equipment. Born from the realization that individuals can significantly increase their energy with brief daytime rest, MetroNaps seeks to be the world’s premier provider of professional napping products and services.

http://www.metronaps.com/

I just need to convince the big chief that the ROI would be worth it. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
We had a lounge converted to a 'nap room' at one large company I worked for. They had to finally move out appliances because the Fat Chick Squad (no offense to fat chicks, these were like the matrons 40+ who moved around always in groups of 3 or more, gossiped their asses off, and oddly enough always had Avon catalogues available, and had asses 5 times the size of normal mortals) would march in and start fucking around with food (using counters, appliances etc) while people were trying to nap. Super annoying.

Unfortunately there were no cots or anything or I might have used it. Just couches, which are uncomfortable and kinda gross to try to sleep on (when it's a public couch like that). Plus they were more like 2 seater couches not ones you could stretch out on.

Those pods look cool, but I'm a side sleeper. Then again they look so comfy I could probably sleep in one. I'd imagine if you snored though, it would be like an echo chamber. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:48 PM 
Train Right Side!
Train Right Side!

Yep, I tend to sleep on my side or my front. I think these pods are built for sleeping as if in a recliner though.

But I've slept on airplanes and in train seats before, so while it's not my preferred position, I can still catch some zzz's that way. :)

I thought I read at their site that this muffles sound and plays quiet music as well. That should help with the snoring factor.

Anyway, I know I would have LOVED one of these back when I was playing EQ, heh. I can't believe how little sleep I got by on back then. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:31 PM 
Voodoo Doll
Voodoo Doll

EQ1: Tarot
WoW: Redfeathers
Cuchulainn SC2K wrote:
But I've slept on airplanes and in train seats before, so while it's not my preferred position, I can still catch some zzz's that way. :)

Yeah I can sleep there too, and generally try to as the trip is dull as hell otherwise. But I'm usually running on lack of sleep when traveling anyway which makes it easier.

Quote:
Anyway, I know I would have LOVED one of these back when I was playing EQ, heh. I can't believe how little sleep I got by on back then. ;)

When I went back to college I think what shocked me most was how exhausted I was all the time, when previously from 18 thru early 20s I had so much more going on, and was rarely *really* tired other than finals time. The worst was when I picked an early morning math class, I wanted to die that entire semester.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:06 PM 
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!
Trolling like there is no tomorrow!

EQ1: Ghaani (retired)
WoW: Gabbath (retired)
Rift: Gabbath (retired)
SWOR: Gabbath/Gh'anni (retired)
One of the best things that I do for myself is take a "power nap" during lunch as many times as possible each week.

I usually bring my lunch, heat it up in the breakroom and head to my car. I also park far away from the building under a shade tree (there are not many of them around this building). I have a fan so I don't have to turn my car on and it keeps me cool enough during the hottest days. I'll have the radio on finish eating, set the alarm on my watch and pass out. My nap usually is 10-20 min and I am much better off when I am able to get this.

I do have sleeping issues. When it is time to go to sleep (11:00pm, 12:00am, 1:00am) I am wide awake. It almost always takes me a long time to get to sleep. This was happening before I was taking my nap so the mid day snooze really helps me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:22 PM 
Master Baiter
Master Baiter

EQ1: Cicely
I have always wondered what makes people sleep a certain way, and why they choose to do it. I am a back sleeper, and I cannot sleep at all on my side or front. What is more curious is that it seems as though majority of people choose one of the three (front, back, side)... and they cannot do the other two at all. I don't know if there is something in us that makes us like whichever of the three we choose, but it has always struck my curiousity how people sleep.

Like, I honestly cannot understand how people can sleep on their front. It just boggles the mind... and there are some people who amaze me and can do it for a full night, every night.

Sorry for the off topic thinking out loud moment, carry on with your regularly scheduled topic :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:05 PM 

It is an odd thing, but it seems that sleeping preference is a "learned behavior." In that, most I can find is on infant sleeping position. There is a lot of research and discussion on this because prone--"on tummy"--is considered a risk factor for SIDS [Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.--Ed.] Anyways:

Quote:
Positional preference appears to be a learned behavior among infants from birth to 4 to 6 months of age. The infant, being placed in a back or side position in the newborn nursery, will become accustomed to this position.

Infant Sleeping Position and SIDS

Now no one--unless they have a spinal cord injury--remains in the same sleep position. We move. Of course, we do that while we are asleep. Some more searching and there is this interesting article:

Quote:
High correlation was found when comparing subjects’ self report of their common sleep positions with the video record. The sensitivity of self reported ‘usual’ night side lying sleep position was 89% and ‘last’ night reports 95%. Sleep position was consistent across repeated nights’ sleep, and there was good reliability between subjects’ self report of ‘usual’ (92%) and ‘last night’ (83%) sleep positions.

This study reports high validity, reliability and consistency in self reports of ‘usual’ and ‘recent’ sleep positions.
. . . .
People first begin to develop a definite sleep position, at about three months of age, when infants begin to move freely and turn over by themselves, by the age of seven years a definitive sleep position is assumed. In adults the most common reported sleep position is the semi-foetal position, with other common positions being full-foetal, prone and supine. Although individuals have a pattern of constancy with regard to sleep position 9 as age increases this pattern changes with increased preference for the side sleep position, decreased preference for the prone sleep position, decreased position shifts and increased amounts of postural immobility 10 lasting between 45 and 110 minutes.

Self Reported versus Recorded Sleep Position

However, this chair seems oddly . . . familiar:

"Be seeing you!"

--J. "UNMUTUAL!" D.